AVS Forum banner

581 - 600 of 896 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Received my replacement Q6FN today and did the Earth2 ghosting test with settings out of the box. Did not see any ghosting, I'm attaching a video of the panel. One thing that could be is my panels are free standing, not wall mounted.

https://youtu.be/yFD5S3FOaOc

·
Registered
443 Posts
I picked up the 65 Q6FN yesterday. For the life of me I can't figure out how to get everything in my system to turn on with one remote when it comes to watching from a sat box. I have DirecTV and an AppleTV going into a Denon X4200W AVR and then out via ARC to the TV. With everything off, if I turn on my Appletv, the tv and the AVR power on and everything works great - video on the tv, sound through the AVR. Conversely, if I turn my DirecTV receiver on, only the tv will turn on and audio will default through the television. I can't find any settings that will either force the AVR to turn on or to always default tv the audio the AVR. I've tried using the ARC and non-ARC HDMI-inputs but the results are the same.

Anynet+ is ON. In fact it will turn the AVR off, it just won't turn it on. Functionality as described worked on my Sony TV yesterday.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Panel Lottery ?

From reading this & other Samsung QLED threads it seems FA01 panels are made by Samsung. I’ve also read that Samsung does not make panels 75” or larger. However I’ve seen postings with 82” screens having FA01 panels.

Obviously I’m missing something. Are FA01 panels really made by Samsung?

A few years ago when I bought my Samsung HDTV there was quite a discussion regarding panels & at the time Samsungs were the best. Does this still hold true? Does it really matter anymore, or is there a consensus of opinion which panel to get, if possible?

FWIW, I was thinking about getting the QN55Q65FN at Costco & all the boxes indicated FA01.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
259 Posts
I picked up the 65 Q6FN yesterday. For the life of me I can't figure out how to get everything in my system to turn on with one remote when it comes to watching from a sat box. I have DirecTV and an AppleTV going into a Denon X4200W AVR and then out via ARC to the TV. With everything off, if I turn on my Appletv, the tv and the AVR power on and everything works great - video on the tv, sound through the AVR. Conversely, if I turn my DirecTV receiver on, only the tv will turn on and audio will default through the television. I can't find any settings that will either force the AVR to turn on or to always default tv the audio the AVR. I've tried using the ARC and non-ARC HDMI-inputs but the results are the same.

Anynet+ is ON. In fact it will turn the AVR off, it just won't turn it on. Functionality as described worked on my Sony TV yesterday.

Any thoughts?
So, just to clarify, after setting the tv to have the sound output by the "AV Receiver", it doesn't save or maintain that setting in the consequent times after?
For small little issues like this, I've tried resetting the TV to factory settings at least once...You might want to see if that works out for you...

·
Registered
157 Posts
From reading this & other Samsung QLED threads it seems FA01 panels are made by Samsung. I’ve also read that Samsung does not make panels 75” or larger. However I’ve seen postings with 82” screens having FA01 panels.

Obviously I’m missing something. Are FA01 panels really made by Samsung?

A few years ago when I bought my Samsung HDTV there was quite a discussion regarding panels & at the time Samsungs were the best. Does this still hold true? Does it really matter anymore, or is there a consensus of opinion which panel to get, if possible?

FWIW, I was thinking about getting the QN55Q65FN at Costco & all the boxes indicated FA01.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
i have a q7 with this panel not sure who makes it though

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not that I have seen, but I've noticed that my old Samsung Blu-ray player will occasionally turn on at random. Maybe the TV or the remote is sending it a signal.

This happpened again but it turned off while watching Roku

Another issue, I hold the voice button and say switch to PC, it asks me what color button I want ???

·
Registered
443 Posts
So, just to clarify, after setting the tv to have the sound output by the "AV Receiver", it doesn't save or maintain that setting in the consequent times after?
For small little issues like this, I've tried resetting the TV to factory settings at least once...You might want to see if that works out for you...

Yes, that's correct. The setting isn't saved. I've tried the reset as you described but it's been to no avail.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dse

So how much dirty screen effect / banding etc is acceptable to Samsung? This is from my 75" Q6FN. I hadn't really noticed it that much till recently, then we started re-watching Game of Thrones and all the wide shots in the snow really show it. Also when my son is watching cartoons, with all that uniform colors in big blocks, it stands out (to me). Then there is sports. Any sort of pan over grass - baseball which re-started yesterday and also the occasional golf broadcast - and I can see it and it's driving me nuts. Of course I'm compulsive so there is that.

Basically it's 3 or 4 bands on the left edge of the TV at a 45 degree angle working in for....i dunno...8-12 inches? Tried to take some pictures which is borderline impossible. My wife would probably say that I am nitpicking but for a 2000$ TV....

Forgot to add that I am well pass the return window. Just hadn't gotten time to really watch this TV a lot until recently (stupid real life getting in the way)

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yes, that's correct. The setting isn't saved. I've tried the reset as you described but it's been to no avail.
I haven't been able to get it to work, but you might try Samsung support and their "remote support" capability. It should show them the issue.
Also, have you done the "power" reset where you reset the TV, unplug, give it 10-15 minutes, then try again?

So how much dirty screen effect / banding etc is acceptable to Samsung? This is from my 75" Q6FN. I hadn't really noticed it that much till recently, then we started re-watching Game of Thrones and all the wide shots in the snow really show it. Also when my son is watching cartoons, with all that uniform colors in big blocks, it stands out (to me). Then there is sports. Any sort of pan over grass - baseball which re-started yesterday and also the occasional golf broadcast - and I can see it and it's driving me nuts. Of course I'm compulsive so there is that.

Basically it's 3 or 4 bands on the left edge of the TV at a 45 degree angle working in for....i dunno...8-12 inches? Tried to take some pictures which is borderline impossible. My wife would probably say that I am nitpicking but for a 2000$ TV....

Forgot to add that I am well pass the return window. Just hadn't gotten time to really watch this TV a lot until recently (stupid real life getting in the way)
I know EXACTLY what you mean! It's weird actually, I feel SOOO very fortunate that I don't have the trailing issues (or hardly have it) that seem prevalent with all the other 82 inch's, but it is still considerably frustrating to have this severe banding in the "trailing" issues tread!
What I did find (by accident) is by changing (or lowering depending on your perspective) the Gamma (from the superior BT.1886) and Color Space Settings (from the superior BT.2020), but, in my opinion, I rather suffer the banding than lose the "spectrum" BT.2020 and BT.1886 for Gamma gives...
Give it a look, see what it does for you...

Good luck and hope this helps...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got a 55" Q6 from Best Buy yesterday and while putting it up saw that it had a panel code of AA01 with a January 2019 manufacture date. I thought this TV only had FA01 and FB02 for panels. Does anybody know anything about this AA01 panel? I'm in the US for reference.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I just picked up the set and had a few question for you guys:

1. Does turning off automotion plus disable all motion interpolation? According to this calibration guide it is suggested to set automotion plus to custom, but then setting judder reduction and blur reduction to 0 and leave led clear motion unticked. How is that any different than just disabling automotion plus?

2. Is there a way to display the current resolution and framerate without selecting an input? For instance, id like to know what resolution and framerate native apps are playing at and I can't figure out how to display it.

3. Does the native app do frame-rate matching like my apple tv 4k does? I can safely turn off automotion plus with apple tv because it doesn't need to do any interpolation since framerate and refresh rate match.

4. Would having motion interpolation on at all cause issues with frame rate matching since it doesn't need to interporlate?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just picked up the set and had a few question for you guys:

1. Does turning off automotion plus disable all motion interpolation? According to this calibration guide it is suggested to set automotion plus to custom, but then setting judder reduction and blur reduction to 0 and leave led clear motion unticked. How is that any different than just disabling automotion plus?

2. Is there a way to display the current resolution and framerate without selecting an input? For instance, id like to know what resolution and framerate native apps are playing at and I can't figure out how to display it.

3. Does the native app do frame-rate matching like my apple tv 4k does? I can safely turn off automotion plus with apple tv because it doesn't need to do any interpolation since framerate and refresh rate match.

4. Would having motion interpolation on at all cause issues with frame rate matching since it doesn't need to interporlate?
I'm not sure about the rest, but as for number 2...

2. At least with my remote for my Q6F (small and thin, no OneConnect), if you press the numbers/colors button (found on the left side of the remote) used for "popping up" numbers for input, if you press the button again, it displays the 4 color button inputs, but more importantly for this topic, an "info" section to select that will show you the window you see on the top right whenever you change inputs.

Hopefully, that wasn't explained too confusingly...and hope it helps...

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I got a 55" Q6 from Best Buy yesterday and while putting it up saw that it had a panel code of AA01 with a January 2019 manufacture date. I thought this TV only had FA01 and FB02 for panels. Does anybody know anything about this AA01 panel? I'm in the US for reference.

I was also wondering who made what panel & which is the best. I was looking at the 55" Q6 at Costco & all the cartons were labeled FF01. I don't recall if dates were also on the boxes.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm not sure about the rest, but as for number 2...

2. At least with my remote for my Q6F (small and thin, no OneConnect), if you press the numbers/colors button (found on the left side of the remote) used for "popping up" numbers for input, if you press the button again, it displays the 4 color button inputs, but more importantly for this topic, an "info" section to select that will show you the window you see on the top right whenever you change inputs.

Hopefully, that wasn't explained too confusingly...and hope it helps...

It made perfect sense. So when I hit the 123 button twice I do see the info option show up in my tv. But when I select it nothing happens. I’ve tried using it when I’m using hdmi inputs and native apps, but no dice. The only way I can get it to display and info badge is if I highlight an input and press enter on the remote. That’s fine, but I wanted to see what native apps were displaying...

·
Registered
259 Posts
It made perfect sense. So when I hit the 123 button twice I do see the info option show up in my tv. But when I select it nothing happens. I’ve tried using it when I’m using hdmi inputs and native apps, but no dice. The only way I can get it to display and info badge is if I highlight an input and press enter on the remote. That’s fine, but I wanted to see what native apps were displaying...
Oh, one thing I really wanted to say in the last post, but forgotten, is this is also the way to get to some special stats in the TV's apps (Netflix, Youtube) where you can see what bandwidth you are streaming at, what resolution (4K or HD in Youtube), etc.

Yeah, I've found that it sometimes doesn't work or display. But if it's not working ever, then that's an issue. I believe I was having that same issue early on as well (in order to check if my receiver was upconverting to 2160, the only way I could check was to select the AVR input for the pop up info window, like you). I was delightfully surprised that it resolved itself, and I believe that it was one of the times I reset my TV that did it (the original reason I had to reset the TV was that the info box would pop up, but would not tell me the resolution or fps, just that it was "HDMI UHD Color"...). Maybe that might work for you...

Better yet is to reset it, then unplug it for 10-15 minutes, before starting it up and setting up again...one of the "truer" resets methods...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Oh, one thing I really wanted to say in the last post, but forgotten, is this is also the way to get to some special stats in the TV's apps (Netflix, Youtube) where you can see what bandwidth you are streaming at, what resolution (4K or HD in Youtube), etc.

Yeah, I've found that it sometimes doesn't work or display. But if it's not working ever, then that's an issue. I believe I was having that same issue early on as well (in order to check if my receiver was upconverting to 2160, the only way I could check was to select the AVR input for the pop up info window, like you). I was delightfully surprised that it resolved itself, and I believe that it was one of the times I reset my TV that did it (the original reason I had to reset the TV was that the info box would pop up, but would not tell me the resolution or fps, just that it was "HDMI UHD Color"...). Maybe that might work for you...

Better yet is to reset it, then unplug it for 10-15 minutes, before starting it up and setting up again...one of the "truer" resets methods...

I actually got it to display for my Apple TV using the remote 123 method. What I noticed is when it works it will start on that info box. When I try and do it on native apps it starts at The a button. What do those colored a b c d buttons do anyway?

Yeah, I’d really like to be able to display info on native apps but I’ve never been able to do it.

What do you mean by rest the tv? Was there like a factory reset type of option or did you maybe just power down the surge protector you had it on?

·
Registered
2 Posts
why is Dynamic picture mode so dark with HDR content?

So a while back I posted about picture settings with my new 65" Q6fn. I finally got them adjusted right where I think is the clearest most sharp/vivid picture. The issue now is that whenever I stream a HDR program on Netflix or Amazon the picture is really dark. To the point where it is unwatchable. I spoke to Samsung and they told me this should not be the case, that Dynamic picture mode is intended to give the best picture resolution possible.
Well this is not the case because standard HD programs are very sharp and clean and the HDR programs are very dark and unwatchable.

Is this the case with anyone else? Its only with UHD HDR content, why?
I streamed a show on netflix called Planet Earth 2 and that picture quality was unbelievable, super clean and sharp. Then I stream Jack Ryan on UHD and the image is dark and just bad. The Amazon people told me you have to not use Dynamic picture mode while streaming HDR but Samsung said I would get the best possible images with HDR in Dynamic picture mode.

I'm confused, please help.

·
Registered
466 Posts
So a while back I posted about picture settings with my new 65" Q6fn. I finally got them adjusted right where I think is the clearest most sharp/vivid picture. The issue now is that whenever I stream a HDR program on Netflix or Amazon the picture is really dark. To the point where it is unwatchable. I spoke to Samsung and they told me this should not be the case, that Dynamic picture mode is intended to give the best picture resolution possible.
Well this is not the case because standard HD programs are very sharp and clean and the HDR programs are very dark and unwatchable.

Is this the case with anyone else? Its only with UHD HDR content, why?
I streamed a show on netflix called Planet Earth 2 and that picture quality was unbelievable, super clean and sharp. Then I stream Jack Ryan on UHD and the image is dark and just bad. The Amazon people told me you have to not use Dynamic picture mode while streaming HDR but Samsung said I would get the best possible images with HDR in Dynamic picture mode.

I'm confused, please help.
I'm using Movie picture mode and maxed out backlight of 50 with hdr content. Maybe try pumping up that backlight if you haven't? It will save the settings strictly for hdr so you don't have to worry about sdr content now blasting you.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I actually got it to display for my Apple TV using the remote 123 method. What I noticed is when it works it will start on that info box. When I try and do it on native apps it starts at The a button. What do those colored a b c d buttons do anyway?

Yeah, I’d really like to be able to display info on native apps but I’ve never been able to do it.

What do you mean by rest the tv? Was there like a factory reset type of option or did you maybe just power down the surge protector you had it on?
I'm under the impression the a,b,c,d buttons are more there as color buttons than letters... if you've had xfinity/comcast there are (or used to be) these colored buttons as kind of shortcuts, as well as for DVD/BD players where these are used for very random reasons (like for bookmarking or the very rare "angle choosing" or special features add-in scenes or something).

Yeah, it's still really weird that you can't get it done in Netflix or Youtube -- actually, I am just recalling that you have to enable the "Stats for nerds" in Youtube before it will pop up and show anything interesting...-- you may still have an issue/bug going on...

I'm not really sure why the 10-15 minutes standby/"rest"....it just seems to be advised here on AVS to get a really "good" reset. There is/should be a factory reset for the TV, and (foolishly enough) it is NOT in the Support section. (At least for my QN82Q6F) It is in the bottom of the General section, where it says "Start Setup" -- remember after resetting, to unplug the power for some time.

Hope this helps...

Reactions: Tygeezy

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm using Movie picture mode and maxed out backlight of 50 with hdr content. Maybe try pumping up that backlight if you haven't? It will save the settings strictly for hdr so you don't have to worry about sdr content now blasting you.
Yes, this, and I'd like to just add -- in case you were unaware -- that even though you might have the setting "Apply picture settings to all sources", I've found that when watching the native apps, it acts as its own input and thus has its own settings; it wouldn't have the same settings as for HDMI 4 or something...I've even found that enabling the "HDR+ Mode" has its own retained settings! I'm sure you've gone and checked/changed the picture settings while in that "mode"/native apps, but it's worth considering that you'll maybe have different settings at play there....

Reactions: Tygeezy
581 - 600 of 896 Posts