AVS Forum banner

881 - 898 of 898 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I purchased a Samsung 75Q6FN in December 2018 and for the last couple of months it's been exhibiting some sort of clouding or flashlighting.

The issue is at its worst on HDR content on a dark background, or anything bright on a dark background for that matter. Also on video games where there is a loading icon at the bottom right it's apparent. Like Spider-Man or God of War PS4.

I opened up a support chat with Samsung Canada and they told me to turn the backlight down to 5 and put it in Natural mode. This did nothing but mask the issue and make the picture quality look like garbage.

I've attached a couple of pics for reference. (Battlefront 2 on PS4, A new hope on Disney+ and the Yamaha receiver screen) I'm a long time Panasonic plasma owner and this is my first big LED and I'm really disappointed that this is what $2800 CAD gets you for quality, a 1 year throw away tv. Hoping for some advice or input.

Thanks in advance
Mike
I bought my 75" q6fn back in February 2019. Black levels were great. No flash lighting or clouding. HDR content was even better. Had no complaints whatsoever. Then, 3 months ago I noticed the exact same issues you have described. Only thing that has changed is a firmware update. I keep my picture on Standard with a backlight at 22. Local Dimming on Low. I do believe the last firmware update messed with Local Dimming as I only seem to notice the clouding when there is a black screen with a logo of ps4 game or movie title. I never noticed this before the last update. I'm very O.C.D. about this and looked for flash lighting/clouding religiously for weeks after purchasing this tv.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I purchased a Samsung 75Q6FN in December 2018 and for the last couple of months it's been exhibiting some sort of clouding or flashlighting.

The issue is at its worst on HDR content on a dark background, or anything bright on a dark background for that matter. Also on video games where there is a loading icon at the bottom right it's apparent. Like Spider-Man or God of War PS4.

I opened up a support chat with Samsung Canada and they told me to turn the backlight down to 5 and put it in Natural mode. This did nothing but mask the issue and make the picture quality look like garbage.

I've attached a couple of pics for reference. (Battlefront 2 on PS4, A new hope on Disney+ and the Yamaha receiver screen) I'm a long time Panasonic plasma owner and this is my first big LED and I'm really disappointed that this is what $2800 CAD gets you for quality, a 1 year throw away tv. Hoping for some advice or input.

Thanks in advance
Mike
I bought my 75" q6fn back in February 2019. Black levels were great. No flash lighting or clouding. HDR content was even better. Had no complaints whatsoever. Then, 3 months ago I noticed the exact same issues you have described. Only thing that has changed is a firmware update. I keep my picture on Standard with a backlight at 22. Local Dimming on Low. I do believe the last firmware update messed with Local Dimming as I only seem to notice the clouding when there is a black screen with a logo of ps4 game or movie title. I never noticed this before the last update. I'm very O.C.D. about this and looked for flash lighting/clouding religiously for weeks after purchasing this tv.
I feel the exact same way about the ocd and the firmware. 🙂 I knew after coming from 2 previous mid to high end plasmas I was going to be a tough customer. I actually returned a Sony X900F that crashed on me within the first week of ownership and took a step down to the q6f. Probably against my better judgement. Anyway hopefully firmware can fix this. I keep my backlight at 9 as per the rtings settings and I still see the clouding. Obviously hdr makes it way more apparent but a significant portion of the usage is hdr. (PS4 gaming, Prime tv and Disney+ to name a few. )

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Just installed via USB and it did NOT fix my clouding issues. Thanks for the tip though! 🙂
Went into the service menu and changed the local dimming from 1 to 0. Didn't help.

Back to the drawing board./forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif
Have you considered Bias Lighting? I'm thinking of adding the Medialight Bias Lighting Kit to my 75". It does clean up flash lighting and clouding quite well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you considered Bias Lighting? I'm thinking of adding the Medialight Bias Lighting Kit to my 75". It does clean up flash lighting and clouding quite well.
I've considered it, i'm not sure it will make a huge difference but I guess its cheaper than a new tv.

While i'm complaining. This tv is brutal at handling panning shots. Just god awful. Watching Home Alone at Christmas time was painful but the kids love it. So many panning shots.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Spoke with Samsung support on Saturday morning. They have scheduled a service visit and 1 time repair to my satisfaction at Samsung’s expense on Monday from a local Samsung service center. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Spoke with Samsung support on Saturday morning. They have scheduled a service visit and 1 time repair to my satisfaction at Samsung’s expense on Monday from a local Samsung service center. Wish me luck!
Service visit was completed today. They replaced the whole panel, it’s like a sealed unit. Pretty cool. Basically took the backing off, moved the boards to the new unit and put it back together. Will do some checking tonight to see if this one is better. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Service visit was completed today. They replaced the whole panel, it’s like a sealed unit. Pretty cool. Basically took the backing off, moved the boards to the new unit and put it back together. Will do some checking tonight to see if this one is better. Fingers crossed.
SO...my worst fears have now been realized. This replacement panel is significantly worse than the original. Major flashlighting in all 4 corners, even visible during full screen content. TV is unwatchable. The little loading icon in the right hand corner of video games lights all 4 corners up. Craziness.

Called in to Samsung this morning. They have opened a new ticket and escalated it and they will call me on Monday with my options for next steps. Not sure what that means. Hopefully a partial credit/refund or replacement. At least they seem to be standing behind their products. This will be my first and last edge-lit LED though.

Anyway, thinking about moving the Panasonic plasma back in it's place for now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Owner here. Small, unhelpful, but interesting thing to share. According to rtings.com the tv supports 1440p 120hz. I know several people just cannot get that refresh rate at that resolution in Win10 no matter what they do. I have tried MANY times with both newest firmware and old, with two different pc's. It - just - wont - work. The tv goes light blue with a message that the mode isn't supported or something like that, or the pc reverts back to 60hz, OR it says 120hz, but really is 60hz in disguise (ufotest confirms that, and my eyes..)

I was tinkering with the resolutions the other day after controlling the pc remotely on a mac, as the resolutions often change to fit the display of the device thats's controlling it. Now the 1440p resolution wan't even on the list in the Nvidia control panel. It had dissapeared. "well whatever can't get 120hz anyway" - rebooted, 1440p option was back with 120hz being the only option (as usual) - chose it and clicked apply just for fun. It seemed really smooth. Now windows advanced display settings says 119hz, AND ufotest says 120h (jumped back and forth between 119 and 120hz, settled on the latter). Suddenly it works! 18 months later..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Folks!
I am about to buy this TV but I was wondering if the panel suffers from dithering (checkerboard effect on plain colors), like in this picture ? I plan to use this TV as a gaming monitor from 130 cm distance and I am really afraid to face this problem!
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello Folks!
I am about to buy this TV but I was wondering if the panel suffers from dithering (checkerboard effect on plain colors), like in this picture ? I plan to use this TV as a gaming monitor from 130 cm distance and I am really afraid to face this problem!
Thanks in advance for your help.

View attachment 3030459
What would be a good way to check it?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

881 - 898 of 898 Posts