AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 779 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Waiting for my Q7FN to be delivered and didn’t see a thread for this model yet so figured I’d get it started! If anyone has this model, I’d love to get impressions, calibration settings, post reviews, etc.

Edit: Went to my local Best Buy and they had the 2017 Q7 on display next to the 2018 Q9 and Q8. The Samsung rep said that in his opinion, the 2018 Q7 looks "pretty much identical" to the Q8 which is positive. Also, I thought the 2017 Q7 looked really good so now I'm even more excited to get my set.

·
Registered
496 Posts
This is Samsung's edge-lit QLED with local dimming, right? I'm also interested in this as a potentially less expensive alternative to the Q8, if the image quality is good enough. I know last year's Samsung's didn't do especially well with the combination of edge lighting and local dimming, but I'm hoping the 2018 model is improved...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is Samsung's edge-lit QLED with local dimming, right? I'm also interested in this as a potentially less expensive alternative to the Q8, if the image quality is good enough. I know last year's Samsung's didn't do especially well with the combination of edge lighting and local dimming, but I'm hoping the 2018 model is improved...
Yep. I'm hoping for the best but either way I'd imagine this is a big upgrade from my Vizio.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok just finished setting up my set and I think it looks amazing! Blacks are black and PQ is awesome. I see virtually no bleed into the black bars. Light and day compared to the Vizio. Can't imagine how awesome the Q9fn is.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I already have questions, that you can respond to at your leisure:

How's the uniformity (i.e. does it have much "dirty screen effect" in sports like hockey or golf, or noticeable light bleeding?)

I know it's a VA-panel LCD, but how does the viewing angle seem, at say 25 or 30 degrees from center? Major washout, or still look decent?

Thanks, and congrats for being the first owner here....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok just finished setting up my set and I think it looks amazing! Blacks are black and PQ is awesome. I see virtually no bleed into the black bars. Light and day compared to the Vizio. Can't imagine how awesome the Q9fn is.
If you can post some photos in will be nice :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll post some pics with the screen on when I get the kids to bed but I noticed something that's pretty concerning. The bezel isn't the same width around the set. The first pic is the top left corner and the second is the top right. Not sure how this happens on a set that costs $4k.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mad Max was set to movie mode and the color pencils is dynamic mode. Dynamic is much brighter. Taken with a note 8.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not much action in this thread but I'm interested in this set. What are your thoughts so far?
Yea I’m surprised how dead this thread is. I really like it so far. PQ is a huge upgrade from my Vizio. Was watching Planet Earth 2 last night and the set just kind of blended into the wall after a bit.. really cool stuff. I’m very happy. Would love to get some calibration settings although the presets are. Very good as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm fascinated by this set and may pull the trigger on a 75" soon. Could you post an image of it using ambient mode? Would love to see that in real life and not just in Samsung's brochures.

·
Registered
17,399 Posts
I'm fascinated by this set and may pull the trigger on a 75" soon. Could you post an image of it using ambient mode? Would love to see that in real life and not just in Samsung's brochures.
Ambient mode isn't fully functional yet.

1 - 20 of 779 Posts