AVS Forum banner

341 - 360 of 775 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Ok denpom give us ur first impressions between the q7 and js8500. Which is better? S
where do i start? 🙂 build quality / OS (although they removed few useful features like Multi-link) / apps / 4K / HDR / good sources - Q7 is remarkably better. upscaling / post processing is different and sometimes not in a good way. it "hates" my RCN/Tivo cable box (granted, not the best source around) where i'm seeing much more compression artifacts that cause softer picture with slight blur/smear effect (reminds me of TVs from 10 years ago). all that pretty much doesn't exist if you watch the same cable programming video from YouTube, even in lower resolution. it's a bit puzzling. it was quite difficult to calibrate / dial close to JS8500 looks too since whites / highlights are much more elevated on Q7 and do clip, especially on lower quality sources. i don't have any problems with motion / DSE / vertical banding and it's as "clean" as JS8500 was, you really have to look for all those things. black uniformity is great and there's no clouding of any kind. dimming does decent job most of the time due to great black uniformity and high native contrast. slightly elevated black bars sometimes? you bet but it's never jarring or noticable due to things mentioned above and watching in dark room doesn't feel like a compromise although certain things JS did better in that department. I do hope Samsung improves SDR / highlights with future updates.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for sharing denpom...Another question how are the colors on the q7 in hdr content? The js has awesome color saturation,,are they much better or similar on the q7?Also does the extra brightness from the q7 really stand out that much more than it does on js? Should I upgrade from a flawlessly 65 js8500?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ok denpom give us ur first impressions between the q7 and js8500. Which is better? S
where do i start? 🙂 build quality / OS (although they removed few useful features like Multi-link) / apps / 4K / HDR / good sources - Q7 is remarkably better. upscaling / post processing is different and sometimes not in a good way. it "hates" my RCN/Tivo cable box (granted, not the best source around) where i'm seeing much more compression artifacts that cause softer picture with slight blur/smear effect (reminds me of TVs from 10 years ago). all that pretty much doesn't exist if you watch the same cable programming video from YouTube, even in lower resolution. it's a bit puzzling. it was quite difficult to calibrate / dial close to JS8500 looks too since whites / highlights are much more elevated on Q7 and do clip, especially on lower quality sources. i don't have any problems with motion / DSE / vertical banding and it's as "clean" as JS8500 was, you really have to look for all those things. black uniformity is great and there's no clouding of any kind. dimming does decent job most of the time due to great black uniformity and high native contrast. slightly elevated black bars sometimes? you bet but it's never jarring or noticable due to things mentioned above and watching in dark room doesn't feel like a compromise although certain things JS did better in that department. I do hope Samsung improves SDR / highlights with future updates.
Thanks for sharing denpom...Another question how are the colors on the q7 in hdr content? The js has awesome color saturation,,are they much better or similar on the q7?Also does the extra brightness from the q7 really stand out that much more than it does on js? Should I upgrade from a flawlessly 65 js8500?
As I was just reading the last couple posts here and as I've seen in the stores so far I'm very impressed with the 75" Q7FN. Currently I'm using last years 75" Q9 which was a reasonable step up from the 2016 65" KS8000 before that. I just am not sure if its worth the upgrade at this point in time. In other words I guess I'm asking if anyone can comment on reasons why I should upgrade. Or if its better to wait to see what rolls out for new 2019 product???

·
Registered
151 Posts
So, getting ready to pull the trigger on the Q7FN via Samsung upgrade finance (0% interest for 36 months, upgrade after 24 months). I read in their product brochure that the 7FN has a "Ultrawide Viewing Angle" "Even from wide viewing angles, everyone can enjoy the view from all around the room". Can anyone notice a slightly better viewing angle on the 7FN than the normal VA panel has? Also, I see very few complaints... surprising and very encouraging to see in a LED/LCD set. Thanks!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have been enjoying mine over the past 2 months of owning... I still need a final calibration but the only issue I see and need to call Samsung about .. is the clouding I see on blank screen transitions.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I have been enjoying mine over the past 2 months of owning... I still need a final calibration but the only issue I see and need to call Samsung about .. is the clouding I see on blank screen transitions.
actually, black uniformity is one of the strongest points of this TV. there's absolutely no clouding or other similar anomalies while starring at clouding torture tests in a completely dark room (in my case).

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Can anyone notice a slightly better viewing angle on the 7FN than the normal VA panel has? Also, I see very few complaints... surprising and very encouraging to see in a LED/LCD set. Thanks!
the viewing angles are typical for an VA panel but NOT that bad at all, especially with WCG and UHD content. there's a noticeable color shift at about 15-20 degrees with "whites" and lower quality content but it shouldn't bother you while watching any usual materials. it's quite good overall.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a Q7 delivered on Saturday, but I didn’t get around to setting it up until yesterday(Tuesday). This is my second Q7 (I have one in a different location). The first thing I noticed about this TV was that the box was different than the box that the first Q7 came in. After setting it up, it seemed that the operating software was a little different too. It was on version 1106 (I believe). I watched it last night and for a few hours today, when I noticed that the TV started cycling on and off. I have had no such issues with the first TV. I didn’t not read through the entire thread... Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I noticed that the TV started cycling on and off. I have had no such issues with the first TV. I didn’t not read through the entire thread... Has anyone else had this problem?
not sure what's happening but try to update it to the latest firmware (1153.1) and then do full reset. what was different about the box?

·
Registered
536 Posts
actually, black uniformity is one of the strongest points of this TV. there's absolutely no clouding or other similar anomalies while starring at clouding torture tests in a completely dark room (in my case).
which was definitely one of my strong points for getting this set. Im still playing with the cal if I still see the clouding I will have to call Samsung

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any idea how to enable 1440p at 120hz on q7fn?

Hey all - Any idea how to enable 1440p at 120hz on q7fn?

I cant see the option in game, or in nvidia settings.

I have game mode on (no freesync).

Any and all help appreciated.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just bought a 65" Q7FN. I really like it so far, aside from this white uniformity issue I'm having.

It's hard to take a photo of, but I've made a rough mockup attached to this post. The bottom center to middle of the screen has a yellow tint, compared to the upper half which looks like a proper d65 white.

I'm moving from a smaller screen, and I know uniformity isn't as good as you get larger. Am I being fussy or is my TV defective? It's really bothering me.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just bought a 65" Q7FN. I really like it so far, aside from this white uniformity issue I'm having.

It's hard to take a photo of, but I've made a rough mockup attached to this post. The bottom center to middle of the screen has a yellow tint, compared to the upper half which looks like a proper d65 white.

I'm moving from a smaller screen, and I know uniformity isn't as good as you get larger. Am I being fussy or is my TV defective? It's really bothering me.

Thanks

Could it be the led edge lighting along the bottom center? If you do decide to send it back and get approval, before you send it.... just take your fingers and pull the bottom bezel out a little in the middle. Heard some people say that pressure on the panel sometimes causes deformities to the picture. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Could it be the led edge lighting along the bottom center? If you do decide to send it back and get approval, before you send it.... just take your fingers and pull the bottom bezel out a little in the middle. Heard some people say that pressure on the panel sometimes causes deformities to the picture. Just a thought.
that's not edge lighting and definitely a defect. Q7s are pristine in terms of uniformity, white or black.

OP, do not pull on the panel, just exchange the TV.

·
Registered
93 Posts
that's not edge lighting and definitely a defect. Q7s are pristine in terms of uniformity, white or black.

OP, do not pull on the panel, just exchange the TV.
Thanks, I've arranged to exchange this Thursday. It's maybe slightly less bad than the mockup, but it definitely has a noticeable yellow tint/brightness reduction. Hopefully the store people agree with me. I'm quite picky. It's really annoying since I'm using it as a PC monitor and for photo editing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
That's actually what my NU8000 and Q6FN exhibited. I opted to replace both and the replacements looked exactly the same in terms of white. I gave up and just figured it's a byproduct of the bottom edge lighting resulting in warmer color temp down there.

TBH, I don't think most people here could even spot it. If you look at RTings Q7FN review and check out their grey uniformity/DSE picture, the bottom/center is warmer then the rest.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's actually what my NU8000 and Q6FN exhibited. I opted to replace both and the replacements looked exactly the same in terms of white. I gave up and just figured it's a byproduct of the bottom edge lighting resulting in warmer color temp down there.

TBH, I don't think most people here could even spot it. If you look at RTings Q7FN review and check out their grey uniformity/DSE picture, the bottom/center is warmer then the rest.
Well that doesn't give me much confidence! Maybe I should be looking at the Q8FN (that has backlighting right)? I thought the 7 scored better for uniformity? I guess worse uniformity might be preferable to a gradation of tint.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Well that doesn't give me much confidence! Maybe I should be looking at the Q8FN (that has backlighting right)? I thought the 7 scored better for uniformity? I guess worse uniformity might be preferable to a gradation of tint.
i'm not sure what NU8000 and Q6 have to do with Q7 but after looking at few Q7s in different sizes and owning the 55" i can assure you they all exhibited remarkable white screen uniformity (and i'm very picky).

341 - 360 of 775 Posts