AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 779 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Great, thanks for posting these pictures - might be getting the Q7 then but will be on the lookout for reviews by Rtings.com, etc. Keen on understanding if the 'blooming' effect / dimming zones vs. the KS series has been dealt with and if there has been any change to the motion handling.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Beware that in EU the Q7/Q8 will use a different and less advanced black filtering, so the blacks from US models may not be the same.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Got one from PC Richard. The delivery guys were pretty darn good, they took the packaging apart to ensure the set would work. The caveat is that the IR sensor appears to have been at the bottom so since it was sitting in the foam packaging, it wouldn't turn on.

It was a delight to get rid of the huge number of cables that my old TV required.

I am a long way from getting this set up, however. The Samsung "Smart Things" app just doesn't work on the iPhone. It seems to be coded by a madman. For example, it REQUIRES a passcode for the wifi network even though my wifi network doesn't have one. I think it did accept a fake one. Eventually, I got to a screen to pair the TV and the iPhone using a PIN displayed on the TV … minor problem … there is NO WAY to enter the PIN. Ah, glitches.

Also wall mounting this thing was difficult. The screw holes are just a teeny tiny too deep to work with M8 X 35 bolts. Eventually I got M8 X 40 bolts and some spacers. That seems to be ok.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Got one from PC Richard. The delivery guys were pretty darn good, they took the packaging apart to ensure the set would work. The caveat is that the IR sensor appears to have been at the bottom so since it was sitting in the foam packaging, it wouldn't turn on.

It was a delight to get rid of the huge number of cables that my old TV required.

I am a long way from getting this set up, however. The Samsung "Smart Things" app just doesn't work on the iPhone. It seems to be coded by a madman. For example, it REQUIRES a passcode for the wifi network even though my wifi network doesn't have one. I think it did accept a fake one. Eventually, I got to a screen to pair the TV and the iPhone using a PIN displayed on the TV … minor problem … there is NO WAY to enter the PIN. Ah, glitches.

Also wall mounting this thing was difficult. The screw holes are just a teeny tiny too deep to work with M8 X 35 bolts. Eventually I got M8 X 40 bolts and some spacers. That seems to be ok.
Alright someone else who has the tv! I got the no-gap mount which is pretty great. Let me know your thoughts!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
I used the Sanus mount already on my wall. It's rated to 125 pounds and 90" so it was fine. I'm sure no gap is really nice but you can't see the side of the TV due to a shelf next to it that holds my LPs so it wasn't necessary.

Some random observations (I did the install myself so barely catching my breath…).

SCREEN
It's a LOT better than my 2015 Vizio M Series.

Boy was A Series of Unfortunate Events the wrong show to watch for the first try (kids wanted to see it). Totally desaturated. By design, but still! Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is great though.

Anti-reflective? Ugh. It was kind of hard to see 30 minutes before twilight (eastern exposure but 15 mile distant NYC caused some ambient light). The Vizio was better.

The colors seem a bit oversaturated. I tried Natural but that closed up the blacks. Going to need to sit down with this. But they are also amazing. Had to repeatedly turn of Automotion Plus since as I changed picture types it kept going back to the default (you need to turn HDR on for each HDMI input that can support it, apparently). Blade Runner 4K was awful with it on.

I see what you mean about ambient mode. I mean there it is, but I thought I could take a photo of my wall and it would blend in. Nopes.

ONECONNECT

In case anyone isn't clear yet, there is ONLY ONE CABLE for power and signal. I sure hope it is UL rated since I stuck it in my wall. ONECONNECT was a major selling point for me.

I THINK the cable is about 5m long. I'm thrilled. I'm going to be able to stick the ONECONNECT box in a cabinet where it will hide along with my AppleTV and Cable box.

I have the optical out going into an Ayre QX-5 DAC, Ayre KX-5 Premap, Ayre VX-5 Amp, and Vandersteen 5A speakers. This is an awesome system. Middlelife crisis averted. To the Q7FN's credit, the speakers don't suck completely.

REMOTE

Samsung's smartphone app is a disaster on the iPhone, but eventually I got it to work.

The TV remote is overly minimal. I'm bummed there is no direct button for Netflix or Prime. I mean my Vizio had that! Serious loss of usability there. More buttons, more better. Oh well.

·
Registered
17,409 Posts
I used the Sanus mount already on my wall. It's rated to 125 pounds and 90" so it was fine. I'm sure no gap is really nice but you can't see the side of the TV due to a shelf next to it that holds my LPs so it wasn't necessary.

Some random observations (I did the install myself so barely catching my breath…).

SCREEN
It's a LOT better than my 2015 Vizio M Series.

Boy was A Series of Unfortunate Events the wrong show to watch for the first try (kids wanted to see it). Totally desaturated. By design, but still! Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is great though.

Anti-reflective? Ugh. It was kind of hard to see 30 minutes before twilight (eastern exposure but 15 mile distant NYC caused some ambient light). The Vizio was better.

The colors seem a bit oversaturated. I tried Natural but that closed up the blacks. Going to need to sit down with this. But they are also amazing. Had to repeatedly turn of Automotion Plus since as I changed picture types it kept going back to the default (you need to turn HDR on for each HDMI input that can support it, apparently). Blade Runner 4K was awful with it on.

I see what you mean about ambient mode. I mean there it is, but I thought I could take a photo of my wall and it would blend in. Nopes.

ONECONNECT

In case anyone isn't clear yet, there is ONLY ONE CABLE for power and signal. I sure hope it is UL rated since I stuck it in my wall. ONECONNECT was a major selling point for me.

I THINK the cable is about 5m long. I'm thrilled. I'm going to be able to stick the ONECONNECT box in a cabinet where it will hide along with my AppleTV and Cable box.

I have the optical out going into an Ayre QX-5 DAC, Ayre KX-5 Premap, Ayre VX-5 Amp, and Vandersteen 5A speakers. This is an awesome system. Middlelife crisis averted. To the Q7FN's credit, the speakers don't suck completely.

REMOTE

Samsung's smartphone app is a disaster on the iPhone, but eventually I got it to work.

The TV remote is overly minimal. I'm bummed there is no direct button for Netflix or Prime. I mean my Vizio had that! Serious loss of usability there. More buttons, more better. Oh well.

The final version of ambient mode hasn't been released yet. The photo of the wall feature isn't there yet but will be later.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Seems Samsung designed the remote for people that don't use a cable box.

The setup will recognize your attached components, but then you have to use an on-screen control panel to do things with those components, as there are no buttons on the remote.

While I like streaming, etc. for evening viewing I typically use my DVR, which requires easy access to things like the DVR recordings, start, stop, pause, and most importantly my 30 second skip!! Hate those commercials!

Doesn't seem feasible with the Samsung One remote. As an alternative, I guess you can use the phone app, if you want to keep your phone handy all the time.

Looks like Logitech will sell plenty of Harmony remotes to those who buy these sets.

I knew when Samsung demoed these that when you highlight how easy it is to change the battery, you are short on features:).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The Harmony remotes don't have the new model number yet but they kinda/sorta work with the old model number.

I spent some time learning the new remote and it's actually pretty good. Voice search is useful and works well. My only issue is switching to the cable box doesn't turn on the cable box. Switching to my Nvidia shield doesn't turn it on etc. If I could figure that out, I'd ditch the Harmony remote.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I managed to get ambient mode working, sort of. If you select mono under ambient mode, you can upload one photo (why not a slideshow?). Then I tweaked the background so that it looks more or less like the TV is a massive photo on my wall. The problem is that I can't take an actual photo of my wall (that crashes the Smarthings app on the iPhone) and the simulation of the wall is off because I can't take the pink out of it for some reason.

There is a new firmware update, but it isn't available via the in set updates. Go figure!

I love this TV, but it is far from the more seamless experience Vizio provides.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Most manufacturers are good at pushing the notion that if you buy the product now, they will implement the promised features later...

Sometimes they do, sometimes they just take the sales and move on to development of the next model.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Most manufacturers are good at pushing the notion that if you buy the product now, they will implement the promised features later...

Sometimes they do, sometimes they just take the sales and move on to development of the next model.
Yup, here’s hoping this TV makes it out of beta!

Interesting to look at the threads for last years Q7. It’s nowhere near as popular as the 9 or 8. Hoping that this isn’t an abandoned platform. I’m amazed at the quality but given that I bought a 75”, I just couldn’t justify over $4000 for slightly better quality.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I agree about avoiding the top tier price. Like with audio, you get into diminishing returns quickly as you move up the model lineup.

I have to admit that I am a bit confused with the latest announced sets. Everything I have read indicates that you really have to go with a bigger screen size to realize the benefit of 4K resolution. Samsung and Vizio have left out the 80+ inch market from their top tier sets.

Either there isn't enough of a market for these sets, or, the cost of taking their top tier technology to this screen size is prohibitive.

Sony at least has their 900F in an 85" size and LG us supposed to be producing an 86" LED in their Super lineup.

Sharp seemed to be the "go to" manufacturer in past years if you wanted to go big, with 80 and 90 inch screen sizes with full array backlights. Maybe their financial problems were a lesson to others.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don’t get the argument about needing even bigger sets to realize the benefits of 4K. On my 75” the difference is palpable at 8’. If people don’t want to believe me, that’s fine, but that’s what I see.

The iPhone app was updated and now appears to support ambient mode in “lab mode” but it’s dark so I can’t test it properly.
I updated the TV as well (via USB drive). Not sure what the difference was.

So I have set all my inputs to HDR and now apparently I can’t choose movie mode anymore? Argh.

My TV seems to turn off a lot, but not while I am watching it, maybe if the source is off?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ambient mode works. It’s not complete yet and far from perfect. My biggest issue is that with a 75” set the gradations in light and shade on my wall are substantial and don’t like right when I take the photo. Removing spots doesn’t work well either. If Incould upload my own image, I’m confident I could get it right in Photoshop but that’s not an option.

I am bummed to be able to see the bottom edge lighting during film credits. I don’t get why I don’t see it during the letter bars in blade runner but the lighting is visible in a crummy way, I can’t see returning the TV and I don’t see how anyone is going to give me more than $1,000 for it in two years (I got $700 for a 70” Vizio that cost me much $2300 new). It’s impossible to shop for TVs these days... nobody at the box stores to help you, nowhere else to go.

Oh well.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I don’t get the argument about needing even bigger sets to realize the benefits of 4K. On my 75” the difference is palpable at 8’. If people don’t want to believe me, that’s fine, but that’s what I see.
Well, of course you need to include seating distance when talking about such things. 8' from a TV, most people are going to see a difference, for sure. 75" TV is going to be great, fantastic even, for most at 8'.

My current living room setup puts my TV 11' away and I have found through experimentation over the years that I like my screens a little bigger than most. For me personally, the closer I can get to a 90" screen (the maximum size I can fit on the wall) in my room the better. So the 80+" sets appeal to me.

The good news is that high quality big TVs slowly seem to be getting more common and less expensive. There were very few 75" TVs to pick from not long ago. Sony had no mid-range 85" sets last year, this year they have two. Good times.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No Gap Mount

Alright someone else who has the tv! I got the no-gap mount which is pretty great. Let me know your thoughts!

Does the same No Gap mount that worked on the 2017 Q7F work on the 2018 Q7FN? The 2017 version had a rounded top edge that fit perfectly in the back of the TV. The opening on the 2018 TV looks rectangular, but Samsung says the same mount works. Not sure that makes sense. Thanks.

21 - 40 of 779 Posts