AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 779 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Does the same No Gap mount that worked on the 2017 Q7F work on the 2018 Q7FN? The 2017 version had a rounded top edge that fit perfectly in the back of the TV. The opening on the 2018 TV looks rectangular, but Samsung says the same mount works. Not sure that makes sense. Thanks.
Yep! I ordered an open box one from crutchfield for $99 and it worked perfectly.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ambient mode works. It’s not complete yet and far from perfect. My biggest issue is that with a 75” set the gradations in light and shade on my wall are substantial and don’t like right when I take the photo. Removing spots doesn’t work well either. If Incould upload my own image, I’m confident I could get it right in Photoshop but that’s not an option.

I am bummed to be able to see the bottom edge lighting during film credits. I don’t get why I don’t see it during the letter bars in blade runner but the lighting is visible in a crummy way, I can’t see returning the TV and I don’t see how anyone is going to give me more than $1,000 for it in two years (I got $700 for a 70” Vizio that cost me much $2300 new). It’s impossible to shop for TVs these days... nobody at the box stores to help you, nowhere else to go.

Oh well.
Oh dear, doesn't sound as if you would fully recommend the Q7F then? I might then go after the Q9F here in the UK..:confused:!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I am bummed to be able to see the bottom edge lighting during film credits. I don’t get why I don’t see it during the letter bars in blade runner but the lighting is visible in a crummy way,
Oh well.
Just a wild guess, but maybe the TV has some particular "black bar" logic for dimming content with certain recognizable aspect ratios, which doesn't work on credits scrolling up from the bottom. It seems like credits and subtitles often are a problem for sets with local dimming. Has the Q7 been having issues like the Q8 and Q9 with random brightness changes in particular scenes that confuse the local dimming logic?

·
Registered
36 Posts
@simolnx The Q7 will? The Q8 is well documented as being different in the US vs EU/UK but I've not seen anything saying the Q7 will be different. Any source?
I'm really, really sorry for late response. Just check the USA / EU specs on the official website, you can clearly see that US mount the "Ultra Black Elite" on Q7 while the EU sticks with just "Ultra Black".

·
Registered
104 Posts
This thread is for the Q7FN not Q7F. If it’s in your budget, then of course the Q9FN is better. That said, the colors on this thing are fabulous....!!!
Sorry, was obviously relating to the 2018 Q7FN version of the set. The way I am currently assessing the Samsung 2018 range really comes down to the Q7FN (£2,500) or just simply moving over to the C8, Philips 873 (Europe), Sony A8F rather than actually considering the £3,700 Q9FN. Obviously don't want to kick of OLED discussions or price talks, but the Q9FN doesn't seem to be worth that sort of money, hence the Q7FN might be the only option...hence fairly keen on hearing all about initial impressions. I am currently on the KS8000, doesn't seem to be worth the upgrade as of yet :confused:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ambient mode works. It’s not complete yet and far from perfect. My biggest issue is that with a 75” set the gradations in light and shade on my wall are substantial and don’t like right when I take the photo. Removing spots doesn’t work well either. If Incould upload my own image, I’m confident I could get it right in Photoshop but that’s not an option.

I am bummed to be able to see the bottom edge lighting during film credits. I don’t get why I don’t see it during the letter bars in blade runner but the lighting is visible in a crummy way, I can’t see returning the TV and I don’t see how anyone is going to give me more than $1,000 for it in two years (I got $700 for a 70” Vizio that cost me much $2300 new). It’s impossible to shop for TVs these days... nobody at the box stores to help you, nowhere else to go.

Oh well.
So I checked a bunch of demos like the LG Red Fish demo on YouTube. No evidence of the edge at the bottom being brighter. Will see if I can recreate that problem and under what circumstances. Saw a Q8FN at a store. It was slightly brighter. Didn’t seem worth the money to me though... the difference was minor...

TV Plus is awful. Is there any way to get rid of it??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alright someone else who has the tv! I got the no-gap mount which is pretty great. Let me know your thoughts!

I don't suppose anyone has the Samsung no gap wall mount for the 2018 TVs do they? (WMN-M12E) If so, could you please post a picture of the piece of paper you get to stick on the wall and drills holes through. In particular I want to know the measurements from the lines that the Q7FN goes to (there should be a little image in either bottom left or right corner).

Long story as to why... Samsung delivered the wrong one is the simple bit of the story!

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the Q7F (2017). The flat, slimline metal remote with that felt SO much nicer than this weird shaped cheap plastic thing that comes with the 2018 model 😞 Think I'll buy the metal one separately!

Can anyone help with the earlier post (a few up) on the M12 wall mount measurement guide? Thanks if so!

·
Registered
113 Posts
What picture is that? Is that a default one? Can't find it and it looks awesome.

Oh, thanks, it’s an art project I did a couple of years back. I uploaded it myself using the SmartThings iOS app. I wish it supported some kind of slideshow capability, but you can only upload one image at a time.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Does 55Q7FN support DTS Passthrough through HDMI ARC and/or optical ? Does it have Smart PCMCIA card CI+ ? Does it have satellite antenna input DVB-S and/or DVB-S2 ? Does it have 3.5mm analog out ? Does it have movies playback from USB devices ? Does it have USB 3.0 ? Does it support HBO GO app ?
Can't find anything to answer my questions. The manual is very basic, it includes only details about size and weight but no inputs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It supports HBO GO, it supports movie playback from USB devices. There is no 3.5mm analog out, I don't think. It has what appears to be a standard coaxial RF cable in shared for satellite or cable. I don't believe it has anywhere to put a Smart PCMCIA card. Rtings.com says "Like other 2018 Samsung TVs, the Q8FN does not support DTS passthrough to an external receiver, but this shouldn't be an issue since most media supports both." So let's assume the Q7FN does not. Rtings.com also says the Q8FN doesn't have USB 3.0 so this shouldn't either.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Oh, thanks, it’s an art project I did a couple of years back. I uploaded it myself using the SmartThings iOS app. I wish it supported some kind of slideshow capability, but you can only upload one image at a time.
Have you tried a thumb drive? There are a number of different ones available from Amazon but they do not have matts or frames. LG has demo thumb drives that have a few framed art pictures.

https://www.amazon.com/FrameTheTV-Video-Content-Impressionist-4k-usb-impressionist/dp/B0083JDDTK

https://www.amazon.com/FrameTheTV-Video-Content-Renaissance-4k-usb-renaissance/dp/B0083JDBK6

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
So tough to decide between the Q7FN 75” or the Sony X900F. Both about the same price at Best Buy......guess I need to wait for more reviews to come out

41 - 60 of 779 Posts