AVS Forum banner

2641 - 2660 of 11232 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Depends on the narrative you want to set.

In the main PQ catergory, which will be more a focus point for AVS users, the gap is 13 points.
Yes, that's why I mentioned the disappointing rating of the picture quality compared to the C8. Nonetheless, weights of picture quality are affected by things like viewing angle i believe, which to many is not important, so that 13 point difference depending on the usage is not a 13 point difference.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Yes, that's why I mentioned the disappointing rating of the picture quality compared to the C8. Nonetheless, weights of picture quality are affected by things like viewing angle i believe, which to many is not important, so that 13 point difference depending on the usage is not a 13 point difference.
Unless there is a breakdown provided, it's pure conjecture. Assigning arbitrary weighting as to how they arrived at a 13 point delta is just looking for an argument without substance.

The only material fact we have is that they decided there's a gap in the PQ. Feel free to email them or leave a comment to see if they're wiling to share their weighted scale.

·
Registered
25 Posts
FYI for those with the no gap wall mount where you aren't able to get the TV to sit perfectly flush, a new model- WMN-M12EB/ZA is now available. This is updated slightly for the 2018 model it appears so that may fix your problem if you're using the older version. I have yet to mount mine so can't comment but will do so once mounted next week.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Frankly, the picture quality in SDR is affected by their less than optimal settings. Backlight 15 should be 10 and if they got Contrast to 90, well it only goes up to 50 in the Menu which means they must have connected to the TV with CalMAN which does show up to 100 in the DDC controls, however anything above 50 shows no change in actual screen intensity. And it also means they could have used the 2017 QLED AutoCAL which works. Maybe not optimized for 2018 models but way better than the manual 2-point they did.

So I'm not impressed by this review, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Frankly, the picture quality in SDR is affected by their less than optimal settings. Backlight 15 should be 10 and if they got Contrast to 90, well it only goes up to 50 in the Menu which means they must have connected to the TV with CalMAN which does show up to 100 in the DDC controls, however anything above 50 shows no change in actual screen intensity. And it also means they could have used the 2017 QLED AutoCAL which works. Maybe not optimized for 2018 models but way better than the manual 2-point they did.

So I'm not impressed by this review, but that's just me.
I take all these reviews in stride and look at the bigger picture, trend, etc. I think there are enough reviews out now, be it more technical reviews or professional non technical reviews that if we were to average out everything they are all saying, the Q9FN would be the best LCD on the market. Yes, there are some variances to that like FlatPanel that puts the picture quality of the Z9 1 point ahead of the Q9FN. Perhaps if they listened to you the review would change.

However, the average across reviews would put the Q9FN ahead of its LCD peers. I think the OLED flagships would still on average hold from a technical perspective the best picture quality across all TVs. Then when you factor in usage, environment, fears, price, type of colors you like, type of motion you can live with etc...and weight those preferences, the obvious conclusion is that there is no best TV or technology still for everyone.

There is an awful lot of great choices depending on those preferences...and your eye. That is exactly why I chose the Q9FN and not an OLED, a Z9, or a 85"900F.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Indeed, you need to go with what will make you happier for your particular situation, otherwise you'll feel miserable :)

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Hmmm, anybody else noticed there's a protective film going around the outside of the bezel? I just noticed this little plastic tongue hanging below the left side of the screen. I went to get it and suddenly I'm tearing off a 1" film going around the outside of the bezel! It's mainly around the sides and top, with about 4" on each side of the bottom. This is separate from the screen protective film. Am I the only one who missed this?

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
I take all these reviews in stride and look at the bigger picture, trend, etc. I think there are enough reviews out now, be it more technical reviews or professional non technical reviews that if we were to average out everything they are all saying, the Q9FN would be the best LCD on the market. Yes, there are some variances to that like FlatPanel that puts the picture quality of the Z9 1 point ahead of the Q9FN. Perhaps if they listened to you the review would change.

However, the average across reviews would put the Q9FN ahead of its LCD peers. I think the OLED flagships would still on average hold from a technical perspective the best picture quality across all TVs. Then when you factor in usage, environment, fears, price, type of colors you like, type of motion you can live with etc...and weight those preferences, the obvious conclusion is that there is no best TV or technology still for everyone.

There is an awful lot of great choices depending on those preferences...and your eye. That is exactly why I chose the Q9FN and not an OLED, a Z9, or a 85"900F.
BUT
At some of the close out and display unit prices Z9Ds have been going for the price can be SIGNIFICANTLY more for the Q9

and frankly could you justify the difference?

I could not
Then I assume Sony is coming out with a replacement for their 2 year old Z9 as well
Even if they skip a year and roll a unit out with HDMI 2.1....its still a tough choice between a 2 year old Sony( than can actually compete at a much lower price) and a Samsung Q9

Warren

Reactions: Gillietalls

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
BUT
At some of the close out and display unit prices Z9Ds have been going for the price can be SIGNIFICANTLY more for the Q9

I could not
Then I assume Sony is coming out with a replacement for their 2 year old Z9 as well
Even if they skip a year and roll a unit out with HDMI 2.1....its still a tough choice between a 2 year old Sony( than can actually compete at a much lower price) and a Samsung Q9

Warren
The Z9 is a great set. Many may agree with what you wrote. That's why I stated price as a factor. But for me, I wanted the best LCD and price wasn't a factor when I had been ready to spend up to around 12k if they had released a 85-88" set which unfortunately never happened... though I admit it probably didn't hurt that I got a discount that brought the TV down to lower than the Q8 for the 75" so for me it was a no brainer lol.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
BUT

I could not

Warren
The Z9 is a great set. Many may agree with what you wrote. That's why I stated price as a factor. But for me, I wanted the best LCD and price wasn't a factor when I had been ready to spend up to around 12k if they had released a 85-88" set which unfortunately never happened... though I admit it probably didn't hurt that I got a discount that brought the TV down to lower than the Q8 for the 75" so for me it was a no brainer lol.
What Keithian said. Plus high on my list was the ability to calibrate with CalMAN. The Z9D sounds like a great fit for your situation, you should definitely go for it. I know someone who frequents these pages that'll give you a sweet deal :).

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
What Keithian said. Plus high on my list was the ability to calibrate with CalMAN. The Z9D sounds like a great fit for your situation, you should definitely go for it. I know someone who frequents these pages that'll give you a sweet deal :).
I don't disagree with what either of you say

But my priorities are 50/50 in importance with audio and video..$$ wise
Trying to assemble the best combination for the total home theater experience

So..if I were willing to pay for the best in video I would also need to be willing to pay for the best in audio

Unfortunately top of the line audio cost a lot more than video

I have maybe $13-14K in audio...most all bought at less than half of MSRP
For me to commit to a $12K video component would probably mean another $20-30K of audio

You guys may roll like that

But unfortunately. That is not in my league...:mad:

Warren

·
Registered
22 Posts
So I just tried a $40 audioquest "pearl" HDMI cable and RGB mode is still screwy. Just for kicks I turned off HDR in the PS4 and it's still screwy, so actually I think it must not be a bandwidth or cable issue. Either my Q9FN or PS4 pro is not compatible with RGB mode (which some research has determined is actually YUV422 on PS4). I'm gonna have to find someone near me with a PS4 pro or HDR TV to figure out which it is.
Finally got my set and got it working with my PS4 Pro. When initially using the machine everything was great until I went to play God of War, and the screen went black. Restarting the PS4 did nothing, black screen from then on. After a lot of time and reading and some troubleshooting, disabling HDCP did the trick, which is pretty unfortunate considering that's going to mean it can't play most blurays now. Not sure what the deal is. I did try and was able to use RGB no problems that I could see, but set it to Auto afterward. Might try disabling HDCP and see how that goes.

Side note: I can't get Dolby Atmos to pass through on the Xbox One to my K950 over ARC. Not sure that's a limitation of the TV one box or something else. Would rather not have to rearrange inputs to all go into the sound bar.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Finally got my set and got it working with my PS4 Pro. When initially using the machine everything was great until I went to play God of War, and the screen went black. Restarting the PS4 did nothing, black screen from then on. After a lot of time and reading and some troubleshooting, disabling HDCP did the trick, which is pretty unfortunate considering that's going to mean it can't play most blurays now. Not sure what the deal is. I did try and was able to use RGB no problems that I could see, but set it to Auto afterward. Might try disabling HDCP and see how that goes.

Side note: I can't get Dolby Atmos to pass through on the Xbox One to my K950 over ARC. Not sure that's a limitation of the TV one box or something else. Would rather not have to rearrange inputs to all go into the sound bar.
The Q9 can't pass full fat Atmos via ARC as it requires eARC. Some TV's allow for a compressed Atmos signal to be sent via a Dolby Digital+ signal, but as far as I am aware the Q9 doesn't do this.

I am hoping that this is something that can be addressed via firmware update when eARC is introduced later this summer. Atmos is turning out to be a huge pain in the rear for me with this year's TV. As it stands now I have to choose between Atmos using my Pioneer Elite receiver or the advanced gaming features in the Q9.

The Q9 is amazing, but sometimes being an early adopter sucks.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I don't disagree with what either of you say

But my priorities are 50/50 in importance with audio and video..$$ wise
Trying to assemble the best combination for the total home theater experience

So..if I were willing to pay for the best in video I would also need to be willing to pay for the best in audio

Unfortunately top of the line audio cost a lot more than video

I have maybe $13-14K in audio...most all bought at less than half of MSRP
For me to commit to a $12K video component would probably mean another $20-30K of audio

You guys may roll like that

But unfortunately. That is not in my league...:mad:

Warren
I guess we disagree there. The rate of diminishing returns for best in audio are way smaller than for video. I do believe in really good audio and keep audio and video separate. But I have no problem spending $5K in new TV and keeping my current audio, which already I really enjoy. BTW most of my audio equipment is almost 20 years old: B&K preamp, Sony power amp, Apogee Acoustic hybrid ribbon front speakers, and REL sub. More recent are MartinLogan center and side speakers. For movies I drive them from the analog outs of my OPPO BDP-105D.

I frankly see no reason to change this because I got a new TV. But if you feel you need to, that's your choice and we respect it. Main thing is for you to be as happy with your choices as we are with ours :).

·
Registered
771 Posts

The Q9 can't pass full fat Atmos via ARC as it requires eARC. Some TV's allow for a compressed Atmos signal to be sent via a Dolby Digital+ signal, but as far as I am aware the Q9 doesn't do this.

I am hoping that this is something that can be addressed via firmware update when eARC is introduced later this summer. Atmos is turning out to be a huge pain in the rear for me with this year's TV. As it stands now I have to choose between Atmos using my Pioneer Elite receiver or the advanced gaming features in the Q9.

The Q9 is amazing, but sometimes being an early adopter sucks.
Even if the TV did support DD+/Atmos over ARC the soundbar does not, get to plugging directly into the soundbar unfortunately.

·
Registered
771 Posts
This reminds me... @Rudy1 I know you posted your 2017 Q9 has DD+ capabilities over ARC, do you know if the 2018 also has this and if it will support compressed Atmos over ARC?

·
Registered
5 Posts
FYI for those with the no gap wall mount where you aren't able to get the TV to sit perfectly flush, a new model- WMN-M12EB/ZA is now available. This is updated slightly for the 2018 model it appears so that may fix your problem if you're using the older version. I have yet to mount mine so can't comment but will do so once mounted next week.
Thanks for the info!

I went to BB tonight and bought it. It's exactly the same mount as the previous version, but it includes two magnet plates that you screw into the wall to keep the top from tilting. I haven't installed them yet, but it looks like they will solve the tilting issue. As you can see in the images, the magnet plates are very basic, it probably wouldn't be hard to make something similar with parts from a hardware store (for those that already have the older mount).

2641 - 2660 of 11232 Posts