AVS Forum banner

4001 - 4020 of 11232 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had my Q9FN for two weeks now and only played around with Bixby. Last night I tried using it and I kept getting a server error. Has anyone else experienced that? Thank you, David

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have had my Q9FN for two weeks now and only played around with Bixby. Last night I tried using it and I kept getting a server error. Has anyone else experienced that? Thank you, David

On top of this question, I'm curious if anyone really finds it useful and why. I never turned it on because I didn't want somehow that to be linked to advertising and I haven't had any advertising yet :)

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
On top of this question, I'm curious if anyone really finds it useful and why. I never turned it on because I didn't want somehow that to be linked to advertising and I haven't had any advertising yet :)
They should scrap Bixby and spend the money on the dimming algorithm. Unfortunately they're probably making money from the advertising. Hey wait, they should spend THAT money on the dimming algorithm :D

·
Registered
21 Posts

On top of this question, I'm curious if anyone really finds it useful and why. I never turned it on because I didn't want somehow that to be linked to advertising and I haven't had any advertising yet /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
I mostly use it to change settings quickly like backlight by saying “backlight 40” or something like that when there’s lots of light in the room. Also to turn game mode on and off when auto doesn’t work well with certain devices.

·
Banned
3,449 Posts
On top of this question, I'm curious if anyone really finds it useful and why. I never turned it on because I didn't want somehow that to be linked to advertising and I haven't had any advertising yet /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
They should scrap Bixby and spend the money on the dimming algorithm. Unfortunately they're probably making money from the advertising. Hey wait, they should spend THAT money on the dimming algorithm /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Lol

If they can get rid of the dimming lag the algorithm will be like 99% of the way there

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I mostly use it to change settings quickly like backlight by saying “backlight 40” or something like that when there’s lots of light in the room. Also to turn game mode on and off when auto doesn’t work well with certain devices.
Are you getting advertising as a result of using it? I do like the idea of easily changing the setting like I do with my phone but I'm not sure id like it if I was bombarded with ads.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Received my set and going through some testing right now. So far things are looking very good. I recently loss my job, so I am not as excited as I would normally be and impressions will most likely be posted tomorrow, since my focus is not 100% right now. But so far in the brief amount of time I have used it, things are looking good!

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Are you getting advertising as a result of using it? I do like the idea of easily changing the setting like I do with my phone but I'm not sure id like it if I was bombarded with ads.

Using Bixby requires you to accept their T&C's, which means you will get ads on your set. I don't know that I would call it getting "bombarded" though....there is a small ad displayed on the SmartHub menu to the left of your apps. I find it annoying that there's no way to disable it, but in the grand scheme of things it's fairly unobtrusive.

If I was getting pop ups or ads served while I was watching TV I'd be pretty pissed, but as things stand now I can live with it.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Received my set and going through some testing right now. So far things are looking very good. I recently loss my job, so I am not as excited as I would normally be and impressions will most likely be posted tomorrow, since my focus is not 100% right now. But so far in the brief amount of time I have used it, things are looking good!
I'm really sorry about your job. I know how empty that can make one feel and it just sucks, but the grass can be greener on the other side once you find the next job. Very happy for you about the TV. I know it's hard right now, but just enjoy it and try to look at the glass as half full rather than half empty. Most people can't get technology like this.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Using Bixby requires you to accept their T&C's, which means you will get ads on your set. I don't know that I would call it getting "bombarded" though....there is a small ad displayed on the SmartHub menu to the left of your apps. I find it annoying that there's no way to disable it, but in the grand scheme of things it's fairly unobtrusive.

If I was getting pop ups or ads served while I was watching TV I'd be pretty pissed, but as things stand now I can live with it.
That's probably phase 2 of their ad rollout lol.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I'm really sorry about your job. I know how empty that can make one feel and it just sucks, but the grass can be greener on the other side once you find the next job. Very happy for you about the TV. I know it's hard right now, but just enjoy it and try to look at the glass as half full rather than half empty. Most people can't get technology like this.
Thank you. I really appreciate your comments and it did put a smile on my face. I am actually still working at my job, but was informed they are moving in a different direction and while I will still have employment for 2-3 weeks or so, that empty feeling you mentioned is what I am going through right now. Thanks again, it is very appreciative to read positive comments.

Right now, I am letting the TV run through a few movies while I attend to other things around the house (been trying to keep busy) and while I did play a few games, I could not see any issues thus far. I was playing in a bright room and that makes it harder to see issues, but will try more games later tonight. But so far so good!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Thank you. I really appreciate your comments and it did put a smile on my face. I am actually still working at my job, but was informed they are moving in a different direction and while I will still have employment for 2-3 weeks or so, that empty feeling you mentioned is what I am going through right now. Thanks again, it is very appreciative to read positive comments.

Right now, I am letting the TV run through a few movies while I attend to other things around the house (been trying to keep busy) and while I did play a few games, I could not see any issues thus far. I was playing in a bright room and that makes it harder to see issues, but will try more games later tonight. But so far so good!
You're welcome. That feeling will pass. We've all been there and I promise you will find something else.

I'd be surprised if you don't see any DSE if you pan over sky in any game or if you really focus on the sky in a movie, but once I accepted it and got over it, I notice it in maybe 1% or less of gaming and normal viewing. It isn't an issue at all unless perhaps if you watch a ton of Golf. Maybe you won't have any :).

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
You're welcome. That feeling will pass. We've all been there and I promise you will find something else.

I'd be surprised if you don't see any DSE if you pan over sky in any game or if you really focus on the sky in a movie, but once I accepted it and got over it, I notice it in maybe 1% or less of gaming and normal viewing. It isn't an issue at all unless perhaps if you watch a ton of Golf. Maybe you won't have any :).
Interesting, I haven't found any DSE in sky shots in movies (I'm not a gamer), or any I have noticed. Occasionally I get mosquito noise in lower quality transfers, but it's in the content. OTOH, I tend to be more conservative in my settings since I calibrate my display, so that might help in this matter.

·
Registered
33 Posts

So I purchased my 65 Q9FN a week ago, just got to getting into settings due to receiving my sound system which had to be shipped from Europe.

I love the set so far, but can't wait to get some hours on it, and calibrated. There is some vertical banding out of the box that seems to be getting better as time goes on. I also had some movement judder which has improved with playing in the settings, and was seemingly also a source content driven issue. (Youtube)

After messing in the sound settings while waiting for my system I will have to say I am impressed with the onboard sound. lol Better than any of my previous Samsung, or any brand I've owned for that matter.

On to a huge frustration I am having, and the remote has almost went through the screen once or twice.:eek: The damn thing switches to TV+ input within the set seemingly on its own. So far this has happened when changing sources in the Denon for the most part, or changing sources/apps in the new Samsung BR Player.

I have turned all hdmi controls off, and any settings that could remotely be close to the issue with no success. All equipment is controlled through a Harmony high end remote so there is no need for any hdmi fodder other than ARC. (which is another issue I am playing with) There is no way to remove TV+ from the source selection that I have been able to find...

If anyone has a clue as to how I can turn of "A TV source has been detected" and it auto changing PLEASE let me know....

·
Registered
2,243 Posts

So I purchased my 65 Q9FN a week ago, just got to getting into settings due to receiving my sound system which had to be shipped from Europe.

I love the set so far, but can't wait to get some hours on it, and calibrated. There is some vertical banding out of the box that seems to be getting better as time goes on. I also had some movement judder which has improved with playing in the settings, and was seemingly also a source content driven issue. (Youtube)

After messing in the sound settings while waiting for my system I will have to say I am impressed with the onboard sound. lol Better than any of my previous Samsung, or any brand I've owned for that matter.

On to a huge frustration I am having, and the remote has almost went through the screen once or twice.:eek: The damn thing switches to TV+ input within the set seemingly on its own. So far this has happened when changing sources in the Denon for the most part, or changing sources/apps in the new Samsung BR Player.

I have turned all hdmi controls off, and any settings that could remotely be close to the issue with no success. All equipment is controlled through a Harmony high end remote so there is no need for any hdmi fodder other than ARC. (which is another issue I am playing with) There is no way to remove TV+ from the source selection that I have been able to find...

If anyone has a clue as to how I can turn of "A TV source has been detected" and it auto changing PLEASE let me know....

I wish I could figure that out too. I will have hdmi 1 selected to watch a movie on my oppo player and halfway through a preview it will switch to a tv source. Which I don’t have cable or an antenna hooked up so it’s just what the tv is picking up, but in setup I selected that I don’t have cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I wish I could figure that out too. I will have hdmi 1 selected to watch a movie on my oppo player and halfway through a preview it will switch to a tv source. Which I don’t have cable or an antenna hooked up so it’s just what the tv is picking up, but in setup I selected that I don’t have cable.

I normally reset the Smart Hub since I normally don't use it, just the HDMI buttons in my remote, keeps the Smart Hub banner from appearing or select anything. If I do want it I press Source in my dumb remote.

·
Registered
33 Posts

I normally reset the Smart Hub since I normally don't use it, just the HDMI buttons in my remote, keeps the Smart Hub banner from appearing or select anything. If I do want it I press Source in my dumb remote.
So by having smart hub not display eliminates this issue?

·
Registered
771 Posts
@CoopKill @Wjboshart @AnotherDude I got TV+ to stop doing that by deleting all the channels in the app, something I found in last year’s solution to the problem on Samsung TVs. It took some time for me to figure it out, but basically just pin TV+ to your app list, then on top of the app you will see settings.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Interesting, I haven't found any DSE in sky shots in movies (I'm not a gamer), or any I have noticed. Occasionally I get mosquito noise in lower quality transfers, but it's in the content. OTOH, I tend to be more conservative in my settings since I calibrate my display, so that might help in this matter.
Its possible yours has less DSE, that your settings help with it, and/or I stupidly followed what others do, ran the DSE test pattern, decided to search it out in the sky watching the latest Thor and in one game, and now since I know exactly what is there if I really want to see it and focus on it, it rears its ugly head every once in a while....but I probably shouldn't have mentioned it because its so very minor and so unnoticeable the majority of the time in normal content that it really is no big deal. As time goes on and I don't ever think about it, I never really see it. I should never have followed the tendency of an enthusiast here and I wouldn't have even noticed what it was lol. Oh well. What I do see is one of the best pictures I've ever seen and I though I know there will always be something better around the corner, I can't see replacing this TV anytime soon until an equivalent 85+ AFFORDABLE TV is released or something is just so absolutely unbelievable, that I would move this to my bedroom.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts

I decided because I was curious to activate it. I know Bixby isn't very popular, but so far I like it. I like that I have the Samsung Remote paired to my DirectTV DVR and that I can just say a channel and it goes to it, I find being able to say "Turn Backlight to 20" or some low number helpful with the lights off, or to "Turn HDR+Mode off" and then "Turn to Movie Mode", then "Turn HDR+Mode on" all without having the settings menu block what I'm watching. Ive used the Bixby button to check the weather, tell me the time, etc. I even used it to navigate the internet without really using the keyboard. Its not as smart as Google, but I don't understand why people hate it so much.

4001 - 4020 of 11232 Posts