AVS Forum banner

4661 - 4680 of 11232 Posts

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
This is what I struggle with as someone who has never had a TV calibrated. I want someone to make sure I'm getting as much color volume as possible, the sharpest picture as possible, and I don't care if it's accurate.
For sharpness, set the Sharpness control to it's max 20. Recent model premium Samsung 4k TVs do a great job, imo, at deblurring 2k pictures and don't seem to harm good quality native 4k pictures. I don't think you get much control of color volume, other than simply eliminating color by setting the Color control too low.

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
For sharpness, set the Sharpness control to it's max 20. Recent model premium Samsung 4k TVs do a great job, imo, at deblurring 2k pictures and don't seem to harm good quality native 4k pictures. I don't think you get much control of color volume, other than simply eliminating color by setting the Color control too low.
The proper value for Sharpness is 0. If having to raise the value to clear up detail, then your lower IREs are out of alignment

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
Calibration is his job, don't think he 's gonna give away settings.
A Pro calibrator, will give you a report re before and after, plus what the settings are.

These settings will be required if you ever have to do a reset, and re-enter the values.

·
Registered
179 Posts
hey everyone

i searched the thread but nothing came up, im trying to find the exact dimensions of the 65in BOX. need to see if i can fit it in my car somehow.

anyone have this or know where i can find it ?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Regarding calibration on the Q9FN. I have called two highly qualified calibrators to check on calibrating the Q9,aboth indicated they do not currently have the ability to properly calibrate the 2018 panels.

If this is the case, it makes sense to check throughly on who you are asking to calibrate your set. I appreciated their honesty in letting me know they could not properly calibrate the Q9 at this time, however they should have the proper software in the near future.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Regarding calibration on the Q9FN. I have called two highly qualified calibrators to check on calibrating the Q9,aboth indicated they do not currently have the ability to properly calibrate the 2018 panels.

If this is the case, it makes sense to check throughly on who you are asking to calibrate your set. I appreciated their honesty in letting me know they could not properly calibrate the Q9 at this time, however they should have the proper software in the near future.
That's probably because the calibration software they use still has the 2018 QLED as a work in progress, and they want to wait until it is properly finished.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
^^^ I don't understand. I've manually calibrated two Q9Fs no problem. They are very unstable and a lot of work to calibrate.

Reactions: p5browne

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
^^^ I don't understand. I've manually calibrated two Q9Fs no problem. They are very unstable and a lot of work to calibrate.
Are you paid overtime for those, forced to work after hours, hours trying to calibrate the Q9? (Samsung doesn't want amateurs messing with it's Q9 sets!)

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Which one is it John, very unstable and a lot of work, or no problems? :) A couple couple of questions:

1. Can you elaborate on very unstable, other than the usual expected deviations for LCD/LED readings?

2. Were they on the current latest firmware?

3. Did you do a 21-point grayscale?

4. Did you do a Gamut or Saturation Sweep (75 or 100 only) calibration?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Thanks, I'll give this a try. I was leery of doing that due to articles I read in the past that it can actually make the picture worse and introduce noise depending on the source/resolution. Perhaps like you stated, 'recent models' do a better job and are not prone to the same problem?

The proper value for Sharpness is 0. If having to raise the value to clear up detail, then your lower IREs are out of alignment
What is an IRE?

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
Thanks, I'll give this a try. I was leery of doing that due to articles I read in the past that it can actually make the picture worse and introduce noise depending on the source/resolution. Perhaps like you stated, 'recent models' do a better job and are not prone to the same problem?

What is an IRE?
Each % Point. ie 5 % IRE, 10% IRE, 15% IRE, 20% IRE, 25% IRE, 30% IRE. If all are calibrated correctly, your Sharpness should look great with Sharpness at 0. JRREF can maybe agree on this since I don't have a Q9. All the Samsungs I've calibrated, worked this way.

or 5 IRE, 10 IRE, 15 IRE, 20 IRE, 25 IRE and 30 IRE - for 21/21 Point Elsewise 10 IRE, 20 IRE and 30 IRE for 10/11 Point

IRE:

An IRE is a unit used in the measurement of composite video signals. Its name is derived from the initials of the Institute of Radio Engineers. A value of 100 IRE ...

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
Don't you get it, they know it's to much work to calibrate it by hand show they avoid it, this calibrators want calman to do most of the work for them.
And why some are waiting until Calman AutoCal gets it right !

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Don't you get it, they know it's to much work to calibrate it by hand show they avoid it, this calibrators want calman to do most of the work for them.
And why they can charge affordable prices ...

·
Registered
179 Posts
silly question about calibating

if you find settings online and put them in your tv, will it produce the exact same pic, color, brightness, everything, as any other Q9 tv? ( not counting external lighting and conditions

basically trying to see if all tvs are created equal, or within the tvs themselves, the same calibration settings may actually product 2 different looking pics ( again not counting or worried about external formats, just lets say in a vacuum if you will lol )

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Which one is it John, very unstable and a lot of work, or no problems? :) A couple couple of questions:

1. Can you elaborate on very unstable, other than the usual expected deviations for LCD/LED readings?

2. Were they on the current latest firmware?

3. Did you do a 21-point grayscale?

4. Did you do a Gamut or Saturation Sweep (75 or 100 only) calibration?
So calibrating this set manually, because you can't turn off local dimming, it's really hard to get the gray scale to flatten out to a very low DeltaE. You have to run through the 20 pt calibration many times and even then, in my opinion, it's a "best" effort. You get what you get.

Yes I had the latest firmware. CMS is generally "OK" .

I also can say that using Calman's autocal, it works pretty well for SDR. For HDR, no matter which method you use, you can really only do the 2pt to set the white balance.

For other LCDs and OLEDs, they are very predictable, they line up pretty quickly and stay that way when you run subsequent scans. Almost all enable me to get a gray scale DeltaE less than 0.2.

That said, I don't know why some professional calibrators say they can't calibrate the set yet. If they are professional, they will be profiling their colorimeter to a spectro.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Don't you get it, they know it's to much work to calibrate it by hand so they avoid it, this calibrators want calman to do most of the work for them.
This is an interesting statement.

My take on it is, if you have a lot of experience and the set is not defective, except for the Q9, you can calibrate manually, predictably and it doesn't take that much longer than Autocal. Now the other side of this statement is, can you get better results with Autocal? This is a "loaded" question. To play it safe, right now, I would have to say you get pretty much the same result as calibrating manually because you can do a gray scale calibration with more points and this is not including setting an alternate white point or other tweaks that you can do manually to make the result better. I think we were all hoping, and maybe some day we will get it, that Autocal would give us superior results. We will have to play more with the Beta and see what the future holds.

Reactions: BlueChris

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
So calibrating this set manually, because you can't turn off local dimming, it's really hard to get the gray scale to flatten out to a very low DeltaE. You have to run through the 20 pt calibration many times and even then, in my opinion, it's a "best" effort. You get what you get.

Yes I had the latest firmware. CMS is generally "OK" .

I also can say that using Calman's autocal, it works pretty well for SDR. For HDR, no matter which method you use, you can really only do the 2pt to set the white balance.

For other LCDs and OLEDs, they are very predictable, they line up pretty quickly and stay that way when you run subsequent scans. Almost all enable me to get a gray scale DeltaE less than 0.2.

That said, I don't know why some professional calibrators say they can't calibrate the set yet. If they are professional, they will be profiling their colorimeter to a spectro.
According to Tyler, HDR isn't working yet. But I have to say the current beta AutoCal even using the 2017 meter mode provided a 21-point within .5 dE ICtCp both with and without luminance error for gamma 2.2 @ 200 nits after a post-AutoCal reading which I always do, which startled me :)

And the dimming weirdness was pretty minimal, only the > 90 < 100 IREs showed unusual instability. But I know what you're talking about, as I preferred to calibrate my Sharp Elite with dimming on in spite of the occasional annoying jumps as I would get a better calibration for my lack of experience.

4661 - 4680 of 11232 Posts