AVS Forum banner

5421 - 5440 of 11287 Posts

·
Registered
17,093 Posts
More crush on the 65?

Actually it was the exact opposite. The 75 had more crush with the exact same settings. Had to raise brightness by at least +1 to get closer, +2 would be better but would raise the blacks to much. I'm guessing the amount of crush is panel variance whether it's 65 or 75, so others may have it and others may not, and to different degrees.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Actually it was the exact opposite. The 75 had more crush with the exact same settings. Had to raise brightness by at least +1 to get closer, +2 would be better but would raise the blacks to much. I'm guessing the amount of crush is panel variance whether it's 65 or 75, so others may have it and others may not, and to different degrees.
Depending on the calibration I may go up 2 Brightness clicks to get rid of crush, but I don't loose the black.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Depending on the calibration I may go up 2 Brightness clicks to get rid of crush, but I don't loose the black.
Do you do that for SDR or HDR content?

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
It's because the gamma is off and different between the sets. If you took a 10 or 20pt scan you will see the gamma high in the low end causing your black crush. Only calibration will fix this.

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
Those In Canada register an account on Cineplex app. Once completed you get 1 free HD movie rental a month for 1 Year.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
How can you have such a fantastic set and ignore what it is capable of doing? It's like going to Willy Wonkas chocolate factory and eating generic vanilla ice cream.
I have a set that does BDs fantastically, way better than my previous Sharp Elite. I don't stream, I do discs. At some point I'll get a UHD player. In the meantime, sorry I'm not you (not really :))

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have a set that does BDs fantastically, way better than my previous Sharp Elite. I don't stream, I do discs. At some point I'll get a UHD player. In the meantime, sorry I'm not you (not really :))
No one said be like me mister sarcastic. It just seems odd to buy a flagship TV for the primary purpose of watching SDR....though it makes a bit more sense in the context of the BDs. There are other sets for a whole lot less money that upscale or play SDR content just as good and some would argue better. I personally am not super impressed with this TVs SDR upscaling capabilities (especially with shows from the 90s) as someone who is also coming from an Elite....but am blown away by 4k HDR content and even a significant portion of 1080p content like Thor Ragnok.

Anyway, I do agree that everyone should enjoy the set for whatever reason they got it, so more power to you.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
No one said be like me mister sarcastic. It just seems odd to buy a flagship TV for the primary purpose of watching SDR....though it makes a bit more sense in the context of the BDs. There are other sets for a whole lot less money that upscale or play SDR content just as good and some would argue better. I personally am not super impressed with this TVs SDR upscaling capabilities (especially with shows from the 90s) as someone who is also coming from an Elite....but am blown away by 4k HDR content and even a significant portion of 1080p content like Thor Ragnok.

Anyway, I do agree that everyone should enjoy the set for whatever reason they got it, so more power to you.
No probs! Can you identify a non-HDR set that would be as good or better with SDR? And I would like not to have to buy another set when I do end up watching HDR ... :D

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

No probs! Can you identify a non-HDR set that would be as good or better with SDR? And I would like not to have to buy another set when I do end up watching HDR ... /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
If sdr was all i was watching i would have gotten an oled a long time ago!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
If sdr was all i was watching i would have gotten an oled a long time ago!
What I see is almost OLED PQ, and the 75" ones were not worth the extra $ for me. As always, YMMV ...

I should have added the upscaling on good DVD transfers is top notch. I do watch a lot of Swedish, Australian and UK series available only on DVD and they look way better than they have a right to. :)

·
Vendor
27,454 Posts
Side by side with my Ks9800, using the color space "auto" for HDR is a bit undersaturated for many colors. I have to use "native" to get the colors back, and then some. This is opposite of my ks9800 where native for hdr will slightly desaturate most colors for hdr. On the KS9800, native tracks rec2020 and auto tracks P3(what you want). On the Q9, both auto and native track P3 (though u can change it to rec2020 under custom which desaturates the colors). So I'm using native for hdr until I get it calibrated.
What are you doing with the KS9800?

·
Banned
3,449 Posts
A friend is buying it. He makes 100k+ a year but is too cheap to buy a new TV lol
Unfortunately, 100K a year is surprisingly easy to blow through and not quite the benchmark that it used to be. It's still a salary that requires you to prioritize expenses rather than spend freely, especially once you add relationships/pets/kids into the equation lol.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Unfortunately, 100K a year is surprisingly easy to blow through and not quite the benchmark that it used to be. It's still a salary that requires you to prioritize expenses rather than spend freely, especially once you add relationships/pets/kids into the equation lol.
As an owner of two dogs and being in a relationship where the other person earns next to nothing....not to mention living in Los Angeles and buying gadgets I don't really need like high end electric scooters, I can vouch for this lol...and I earn much more than that and I still need to budget :)

·
Registered
17,093 Posts

Oh He makes more than that lol he's just cheap and everyone knows it :) living expenses here in Michigan is not too high, nor the cities he gets stationed at for work (and also gets a ton of extra money for living expenses and food). He bought my Js9500 2 years ago too and a few months ago it randomly broke off the stand and fell over while he was on the road (at least that's the story of the guy living in his house). The pictures he showed me showed that it definitely broke off, but I'm sure it either wasn't random, or wasnt properly installed in the 1st place. He didn't rush to buy a replacement TV since he's not home very often. So taking advantage of him wanting to buy my tv helped my push for the 75Q9FN.

·
Registered
17,093 Posts
It's because the gamma is off and different between the sets. If you took a 10 or 20pt scan you will see the gamma high in the low end causing your black crush. Only calibration will fix this.
There has been some theories that Samsung's new anti blooming carbon mesh inside the panel is causing the crush too. So calibrating around that is what your doing which is why getting rid of the crush has been difficult for calibrators, including Vincent Teoh of HDTVtest. Might be something that goes away as it breaks in over time? Such a drastic amount of crush between panels like this seems to be quite rare with tvs. Samsung tvs have never been known to crush.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm planning on getting the 75" Q9FN for my new house. The only issue I'm concerned about is that the house has a pre-made AV closet to house the receiver, cable boxes, etc that I plan to utilize. I don't have measurements but I would say it is at least 15-20 feet from where the TV would be. How would this work with the one connect box? I assume they don't make wires long enough to run behind the wall and into the closet?

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
No probs! Can you identify a non-HDR set that would be as good or better with SDR? And I would like not to have to buy another set when I do end up watching HDR ... :D

snag a Vizio PQ65...it seems to be 99% of the Q9's performance at 35-40% less $$

Warren

Reactions: divo1979
5421 - 5440 of 11287 Posts