AVS Forum banner

5441 - 5460 of 11291 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
As an owner of two dogs and being in a relationship where the other person earns next to nothing....not to mention living in Los Angeles and buying gadgets I don't really need like high end electric scooters, I can vouch for this lol...and I earn much more than that and I still need to budget :)

Actually
Even if you live in a less expensive area( I am in Indiana) you end up buying a larger home that has more maintenance and over head and you need more electronics to fill it..:D
Then there are things like the new kitchen remodel etc etc

Me and friend were just having this same type of conversation recently...as he is in the process of building quite a home right now

The more you make....the more you have seen and your expectations keep rising and rising

Its never enough..lol

Warren

Reactions: Keithian

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I thought most were using Dynamic or Natural (kind of an oxymoron) :)
I would be willing to be you can't find 5% of people in this thread using Dynamic or Natural picture on these tvs........

Reactions: ScottSFA

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I would be willing to be you can't find 5% of people in this thread using Dynamic or Natural picture on these tvs........
I'm not so sure anymore. You'd be surprised how many people hit me up in this thread that admit they feel the calibration settings most post here look worse to them or they do in fact use one of those settings (dynamic or natural) . I'm just one of the few who admit it because I don't understand what the big deal is if it's a preference that looks better to someone.

In fact just yesterday, someone sent me their settings for natural mode after trying my Dynamic settings and liking them except for the washed highlights...not sure what that means yet. I love trying lots of settings so for fun I'm going to try his today. Maybe at night it will help with my eye burn lol...though if I wasn't so lazy I'd just lower the backlight :)

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
snag a Vizio PQ65...it seems to be 99% of the Q9's performance at 35-40% less $$

Warren
Why would I want to buy another TV that "seems" when I already have a Q9 I really like? Quit trolling ... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,093 Posts
snag a Vizio PQ65...it seems to be 99% of the Q9's performance at 35-40% less $$

Warren

I would never suggest a vizio for someone who only watches SDR. And yes, I seen the Vizio PQ playing 720p content next to a lowly Samsung NU7000, the difference in processing was obvious. Not to mention, he has a 75".

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
Why would I want to buy another TV that "seems" when I already have a Q9 I really like? Quit trolling ... :rolleyes:
Actually.."seems" was a word I used since I don't own the PQ65 and have never really spent any time in front of it
Others with actually experience, with the panel, have much stronger words such as equal and exceed

I was only making a suggestion based on what you said you actually watched

My bad...I have to stop using common sense....:rolleyes:

I would never suggest a vizio for someone who only watches SDR. And yes, I seen the Vizio PQ playing 720p content next to a lowly Samsung NU7000, the difference in processing was obvious. Not to mention, he has a 75".
OLED would be my suggestion for someone who only watches SDR for the most part..or who hated blooming, panel uniformity and off angle viewing issues

Trust me on that....;)...and I own both OLED and the former P series( and a few others) as you know

My suggestion to him was based on what he posted and what he owns now

Based on what you say the NU7000 much have taken quite a step up from the MU7000...as I wasn't impressed with it for the $$..

I haven't looked at the NU7000 and cant make an opinion
If it tests like the Nu71000 that rtings has tested, it seems to be an average TV..at best

Warren

·
Registered
17,093 Posts
Actually.."seems" was a word I used since I don't own the PQ65 and

OLED would be my suggestion for someone who only watches SDR for the most part..or who hated blooming, panel uniformity and off angle viewing issues

Trust me on that....;)...and I own both OLED and the former P series( and a few others) as you know

Based on what you say the NU7000 much have taken quite a step up from the MU7000...as I wasn't impressed with it for the $$..

If it tests like the Nu71000 that rtings has tested, it seems to be an average TV..at best

Warren

Definitely oled for sdr. But that's quite an expensive sdr set if you want a 75"+. Also gotta factor in viewing habits of said SDR and reflections too.

As for the nu7100 I seen, it was definitely trash, except for the processing of the lower inputted source which looked better handled than on the Vizio.The contrast/colors/brightness however were all very bad on the nu7100 compared to the Vizio PQ. If I had to choose a TV obviously I'd go with the PQ but it has its warts.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Actually.."seems" was a word I used since I don't own the PQ65 and have never really spent any time in front of it
Others with actually experience, with the panel, have much stronger words such as equal and exceed

Warren
I have no blooming I can see, awesome blacks, and can't notice any uniformity deviations in actual content, and noticeably cheaper than a 77" OLED.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I'm planning on getting the 75" Q9FN for my new house. The only issue I'm concerned about is that the house has a pre-made AV closet to house the receiver, cable boxes, etc that I plan to utilize. I don't have measurements but I would say it is at least 15-20 feet from where the TV would be. How would this work with the one connect box? I assume they don't make wires long enough to run behind the wall and into the closet?
They make a 49' One Connect cable, but it is not in wall rated.

·
Registered
778 Posts

Warren
The only reason @ray0414 was saying the nu7100 is better than the Vizio for SDR is because, historically, Vizio's have some of the worst 4k upscallers on the market (especially when upscalling 720p) compared to Samsung which has one of the best upscallers.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have no blooming I can see, awesome blacks, and can't notice any uniformity deviations in actual content, and noticeably cheaper than a 77" OLED.
I also do not notice blooming, blacks are black, and my uniformity has been great from day 2 forward....even on Dynamic :) lol

The only thing I don't like about this TV is the one connect box and related source issues, but I have workarounds for everything and my harmony elite remote now works perfectly.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I also do not notice blooming, blacks are black, and my uniformity has been great from day 2 forward....even on Dynamic :) lol

The only thing I don't like about this TV is the one connect box and related source issues, but I have workarounds for everything and my harmony elite remote now works perfectly.
Same goes for my UHC MX-990. Everybody has their particular situation. I really like the OCB, but all my video sources go directly to it. Only the audio goes to my preamp.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Same goes for my UHC MX-990. Everybody has their particular situation. I really like the OCB, but all my video sources go directly to it. Only the audio goes to my preamp.
I do like the one connect for convenience. You don't notice any lip syncing issues with your setup? When I once tried your way, I had to adjust the sound delay, but it never aligned perfectly, especially for SDR, the way it does if you run the sources through the receiver.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
OK, I should add the one thing they need to fix is the overblown highlights. If you calibrate as expected, luminance levels look fine except for the upper 10% or so which go very over the top. If you calibrate to get those highlights where they should be the middle range doesn't go where it belongs. This is more pronounced with the latest FW.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I do like the one connect for convenience. You don't notice any lip syncing issues with your setup? When I once tried your way, I had to adjust the sound delay, but it never aligned perfectly, especially for SDR, the way it does if you run the sources through the receiver.
I haven't noticed with the OPPO BD and DirecTV. OPPO has analog going to the preamp, and DirecTV goes the optical route. Maybe the HDMI to the receiver is causing the delay? Were you using ARC?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I haven't noticed with the OPPO BD and DirecTV. OPPO has analog going to the preamp, and DirecTV goes the optical route. Maybe the HDMI to the receiver is causing the delay? Were you using ARC?
Yup, I never tried the optical route. Regardless, for the first time I cut the cord and am now using youtubetv along with Netflix and Amazon Prime Video so it's no longer an issue since everything is now through one source, the Roku. I surprised myself how everything I watch either live TV or recording was available via youtubetv and I cut my bill from over $110 due to the Tennis Channel on DirecTV and now pay $40 a month. So far I love it, especially due to the unlimited cloud DVR and the ability to watch it anywhere on any device. Quality is excellent. It just takes a bit of time to adjust to a different way of searching and using the cloud DVR versus a standalone. There are pluses and minuses, but the good far outweighs the bad.

·
Registered
17,093 Posts
Yup, I never tried the optical route. Regardless, for the first time I cut the cord and am now using youtubetv along with Netflix and Amazon Prime Video so it's no longer an issue since everything is now through one source, the Roku. I surprised myself how everything I watch either live TV or recording was available via youtubetv and I cut my bill from over $110 due to the Tennis Channel on DirecTV and now pay $40 a month. So far I love it, especially due to the unlimited cloud DVR and the ability to watch it anywhere on any device. Quality is excellent. It just takes a bit of time to adjust to a different way of searching and using the cloud DVR versus a standalone. There are pluses and minuses, but the good far outweighs the bad.
I cut the cord for youtube TV also. No regrets. And I find that the built in app looks better than using my Roku for it.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I cut the cord for youtube TV also. No regrets. And I find that the built in app looks better than using my Roku for it.
Glad you are enjoying it too. With my Roku Ultra I'm really struggling to see any difference between the TV app or the Roku. It might be my own limitation lol. I've read a person or two say the opposite and they prefer the Roku. Cables and receivers maybe make a difference as well as the Roku version, who knows :)

5441 - 5460 of 11291 Posts