AVS Forum banner

5461 - 5480 of 11297 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm planning on getting the 75" Q9FN for my new house. The only issue I'm concerned about is that the house has a pre-made AV closet to house the receiver, cable boxes, etc that I plan to utilize. I don't have measurements but I would say it is at least 15-20 feet from where the TV would be. How would this work with the one connect box? I assume they don't make wires long enough to run behind the wall and into the closet?
It seems that this is the cable you want:

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/television-home-theater-accessories/televisions/15m-invisible-connection-cable-for-qled-the-frame-tvs-2018-vg-socn15-za/

15 meters.

·
Registered
870 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm planning on getting the 75" Q9FN for my new house. The only issue I'm concerned about is that the house has a pre-made AV closet to house the receiver, cable boxes, etc that I plan to utilize. I don't have measurements but I would say it is at least 15-20 feet from where the TV would be. How would this work with the one connect box? I assume they don't make wires long enough to run behind the wall and into the closet?
More than likely the rack already has HDMI wired out to where the TV would go, if this is the case I would think about the Q8 instead. The Q8 has standard HDMI ports behind the TV instead of a connect box.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
There must be a really serious reason why Samsung don't Rate this cable for wall installation, there must be heat issues with it?

I don't know if there are heat issues, but given the fact that this cord provides juice to the display it shouldn't be overly surprising that you can't pull it through the wall.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Sheesh, so expensive for that and it's not in-wall rated? What do people do that want to keep their equipment separate from the TV

If you decide to get this cable you can get it cheaper through Amazon.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
In US the power cables for homes are not permit to be on the wall? For some other reason this cable is not permitted.

In the US flexible power cables through the wall are strictly verboten. The NEC doesn't provide a lot of wiggle room for this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
CalMAN released an update with HDR calibration workflows for the Q9, anyone tried it yet? I wont have time to try until next week.

CalMAN 2018 R2
Version: 5.9.1 RC1 Build: 68
Official Release: Aug 22, 2018
CalMAN 2018 R2 (5.9.1) requires CalMAN or All Access (maintenance) purchase as of June 2017 or later
New Features
- Added support for the 2018 Samsung QLED Q9 TVs for SDR and HDR. Other models (Q8, Q7, Q6) to follow.
- Added Samsung TV HDR calibration and Samsung TV SDR Calibration workflows.
- Added the following C6 EDRs. LCD (LED PFS Phosphor) - HP ZBook G5. LCD (LED Quantum Dot) - Samsung 2018. LCD (LED) - LG Super UHD 2018. OLED (White) - LG, Panasonic, Sony, FSI XM650U 2018.

- Samsung 2018 QLED TV Models Q8, Q7 and Q6 are under investigation to improve AutoCal results.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts

·
Vendor
27,499 Posts
I cut the cord for youtube TV also. No regrets. And I find that the built in app looks better than using my Roku for it.
I cut the cord almost 3 years ago ;) What a great feeling.

In US the power cables for homes are not permit to be on the wall? For some other reason this cable is not permitted.
That may be true but people do it all the time. I do not recommend this as it is so easy to run a outlet to the TV.

There must be a really serious reason why Samsung don't Rate this cable for wall installation, there must be heat issues with it?
It could be as simple as liability, and nothing more. A just in case if you will. Had a house fire at a rental once, learned a lot from talking with adjusters, Samsung would be on the hook for that cable starting a fire for 7 or 10 years, I forget which one. With a fridge, stove, or any other appliance same applies. If it fails, causes a fire and can be proved, the manufacturer will be getting a legal notice.

·
Registered
207 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
In theory it's because a standard outlet can provide 20 amps, so you will set your house on fire worst case cheap power cable, however the one connect box has the power supply in it which should prevent that from happening, current limiting power supply, but stupid codes probably don't recognize it as a viable alternative.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My 75" was delivered today and the installer is coming tomorrow, any recommendations for good content to watch, something that really shows off the HDR and backlight, Batman V Superman seems like a good chance and I already have it.

·
Registered
17,093 Posts
My 75" was delivered today and the installer is coming tomorrow, any recommendations for good content to watch, something that really shows off the HDR and backlight, Batman V Superman seems like a good chance and I already have it.

Planet Earth 2 in 4k HDR :)
^not bad.

Ghostbusters 2016 version. The hdr is insane in that movie. Re-watched it last night/tonight on the Q9. The colors/brights/blacks are gorgeous.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Planet Earth 2 in 4k HDR :)

Agreed. PE* was the go to content for bluray, and PE2 continues this for 4K. I have yet to find anything to match them from a pure quality standpoint.

* Note - BBC version. ;)

Reactions: Keithian

·
Registered
778 Posts
Lucy looks superb, John Wick 2 is a great example of what HDR can do (very black night scenes with bright neon lights at the same time). Greatest Showman, when the fire breathers start at the end it looks like you're watching that through a window. La La Land, the sunlight reflecting off the car's windshields at the opening dance scene looks so real it's ridiculous and the scene where John Legend and Ryan Gosling perform the song in pitch dark with just a spotlight really shows off how close to OLED the blacks can get.

5461 - 5480 of 11297 Posts