AVS Forum banner

5481 - 5500 of 11287 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
I don't think so. The TV is going to be above a fireplace mantel so I have to utilize the custom AV storage closet that is 15-20 feet away. I've included a pic of how the TV will be set up
Can you insert the cable inside flexible metal conduit?

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you decide to get this cable you can get it cheaper through Amazon.
Yeah, I noticed they had it for about 100 dollars off. It's weird, because the 2017 model was still quite expensive.

Either way, I'm glad they finally released it...I'm just a little short for comfort...a little extra slack will help a lot.

What's the bandwidth of the one connect cable? What're the chances of Samsung updating the one connect with an HDMI 2.1 refresh? Sony did it with the PSVR, within a year, because of their botched decision to use old HDMI 1.4 hardware. Not that Samsung botched anything here, to the best of my knowledge.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Yeah, I noticed they had it for about 100 dollars off. It's weird, because the 2017 model was still quite expensive.

Either way, I'm glad they finally released it...I'm just a little short for comfort...a little extra slack will help a lot.

What's the bandwidth of the one connect cable? What're the chances of Samsung updating the one connect with an HDMI 2.1 refresh? Sony did it with the PSVR, within a year, because of their botched decision to use old HDMI 1.4 hardware. Not that Samsung botched anything here, to the best of my knowledge.

The One Connect cable is rated at 40 gigabits. I don't think the chances are good for them releasing an upgraded One Connect box, but stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
For those who wish to blast the Q9 vs. the Z9, I just found this thread ... did they mention it here and I missed it?

Q9 vs. Z9

·
Registered
322 Posts
The One Connect cable is rated at 40 gigabits. I don't think the chances are good for them releasing an upgraded One Connect box, but stranger things have happened.
Well, with Nvidia delaying their BFGD's, that takes a little bit of the pressure off Samsung, in this regard. I do wonder, though, if they will be releasing their next next gen card around that eventual release date. It would be consistent with speculation around the 2080 gen being truncated.

Still, the thing I care most about right now is eARC. That should solve my nagging setup quirks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Read through this entire thread to get a sense of how people like the Q9FN. I'm having issues with my ks9800 Samsung has the worse warranty service and customer service that isn't exaggerated. They want to replace my videoboard and panel instead of just exchanging for the Q9FN which obviously I don't want a bunch of spare parts in my TV that's only 8 months old I got it during the end of cycle when it was less expensive. Ultimately I'm here asking how much of a jump the q9 is in terms of the ks9800. If they choose not to exchange I will go the credit card route for a refund and probably end up buying a q9. I honestly don't want replacement parts thanks.

·
Registered
17,093 Posts
Read through this entire thread to get a sense of how people like the Q9FN. I'm having issues with my ks9800 Samsung has the worse warranty service and customer service that isn't exaggerated. They want to replace my videoboard and panel instead of just exchanging for the Q9FN which obviously I don't want a bunch of spare parts in my TV that's only 8 months old I got it during the end of cycle when it was less expensive. Ultimately I'm here asking how much of a jump the q9 is in terms of the ks9800. If they choose not to exchange I will go the credit card route for a refund and probably end up buying a q9. I honestly don't want replacement parts thanks.

there's quite a bit of advantages of the Q9 and a few small disadvantages. some of the advantages are each small, but when added together make a nice sizeable advantage IMO. If you can get the tv online for cheaper than at Best buy, I'd say your be doing pretty good.

-the biggest advantage is with HDR content. It has brighter and more colorful/vibrant highlights and better blacks.

-widescreen bar performance is ALOT better.

-reflection handling is a lot better. the curve makes reflections distort and stretch across the panel. the Q9 has a blacker panel, so even when the tvs are turned off, the Q9 looks jet black but the ks9800 has a slightly grayer look in comparison. this means that during content, the Q9 will look blacker as well.

- viewing angles are better and so are off angle blacks (not perfect, but quite a bit better than the ks9800).

- tizen is a lot faster and smoother on the Q9.

couplea advantages to the ks9800:

- the curve. I actually like the curve, and if you sit dead center, the sides wrapping out towards you make it easier to see content on the edges. but the curve also hurts viewing angles for other people.

- although my side by side comparison was 75 against 65, its notable that the 65 had a slightly sharper picture with SDR content. I have a friends 65Q9 here that I haven't been able to directly compare to the ks9800 but if I get a chance over the next few days id like to do it before he takes it home.

- the smaller bezels of the KS9800 are more appealing. its slightly bigger on the Q9 but likely wont bother most people.

heres a teaser about how the Q9 handles blooming compared to the ks9800. the Q9 isn't perfect but in this particular SDR image it was a huge leap. the ks9800 was a mess here, whereas the Q9 was in much better control. the small blooming you see in the picture wasn't very noticeable in person. these tvs are both with smart LED on low and 50% backlight. (also note that they weren't 100% in sync after closer inspection, there's a few cars in different spots).

keep in mind also that while the Q9 has a nice 480 zone number, its said to be bumped up to 720 for 2019. so better is always around the corner.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I appreciate the thorough response really gives me a lot to think about. Samsung is very difficult to deal with warranty. I am apprehensive to do the panel and video board swap for my TV. I actually enjoy my ks9800 65 when it works properly, but it's good to know that the Q9 is a step up if they refuse to exchange and do a refund through my card I'll either wait for a price drop or 2019 but being that I don't have a back up TV that would be difficult thanks!

there's quite a bit of advantages of the Q9 and a few small disadvantages. some of the advantages are each small, but when added together make a nice sizeable advantage IMO. If you can get the tv online for cheaper than at Best buy, I'd say your be doing pretty good.

-the biggest advantage is with HDR content. It has brighter and more colorful/vibrant highlights and better blacks.

-reflection handling is a lot better. the curve makes reflections distort and stretch across the panel. the Q9 has a blacker panel, so even when the tvs are turned off, the Q9 looks jet black but the ks9800 has a slightly grayer look in comparison. this means that during content, the Q9 will look blacker as well.

- viewing angles are better and so are off angle blacks (not perfect, but quite a bit better than the ks9800).

- the curve. I actually like the curve, and if you sit dead center, the sides wrapping out towards you make it easier to see content on the edges. but the curve also hurts viewing angles for other people.

- although my side by side comparison was 75 against 65, its notable that the 65 had a slightly sharper picture with SDR content. I have a friends 65Q9 here that I haven't been able to directly compare to the ks9800 but if I get a chance over the next few days id like to do it before he takes it home.

- the smaller bezels of the KS9800 are more appealing. its slightly bigger on the Q9 but likely wont bother most people.

heres a teaser about how the Q9 handles blooming compared to the ks9800. the Q9 isn't perfect but in this particular SDR image it was a huge leap. the ks9800 was a mess here, whereas the Q9 was in much better control. the small blooming you see in the picture wasn't very noticeable in person. these tvs are both with smart LED on low and 50% backlight. (also note that they weren't 100% in sync after closer inspection, there's a few cars in different spots).

keep in mind also that while the Q9 has a nice 480 zone number, its said to be bumped up to 720 for 2019. so better is always around the corner.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

I have never seen blooming like what you got going on with your 9800. Especially if you have backlight down to 10 according to your post? What scene is this from?

·
Registered
17,093 Posts
I have never seen blooming like what you got going on with your 9800. Especially if you have backlight down to 10 according to your post? What scene is this from?
It's an LG demo from YouTube. The camera was extra sensitive so it's exposuring the raised blacks but It was very noticeable in person once I knew what to look for, as the bleed extended quite a ways up the screen. I have the other picture with both tvs at 100% backlight and smart led at high, so bad it'll cause nightmares ;) (I can post that layer as I just left the house)

It's key to have the lights 100% off to be able to see just how raised the blacks are. It won't be as noticable if you have some lights on but you can still see it.

(also worth noting that the Q9 here is the 75", and the 65" does have better blacks with slightly less bloom)

·
Registered
17,093 Posts
No he doesn't he's just adjusting the exposure on the camera to exaggerate the blooming to prove a point vs the q9fn.

Also worth noting that this was a torture scene. The KS9800 handles other situations that are easier, alot better.

I'll post alot more pix when I get the chance too.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
No he doesn't he's just adjusting the exposure on the camera to exaggerate the blooming to prove a point vs the q9fn.

Also worth noting that this was a torture scene. The KS9800 handles other situations that are easier, alot better.

I'll post alot more pix when I get the chance too.
I mean i think this is pretty good all things considered?

Attachments

·
Vendor
27,454 Posts
A bunch of spare parts? They will be brand new parts and you will have a brand new TV with a few old parts in it when your done. I understand you want a new set and that may happen or they may cut you a check in full too for what you paid if these items do not fix your TV.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm just leery of it I use to work at circuit city and warranty repairs are hit and miss plus all the elements of getting a worse "new panel" that has more issues than the one I have, but seeing how you sell televisions as well should I allow the repair or keep forcing for an exchange in hopes of getting a q9fn or check? I don't have a problem with my ks9800 overall my main issue is they do a repair I have 4 months left on my warranty then what happens if their replacement parts falter. How long do they warranty replacement parts. I don't want to hijack this thread either though it is relevant given the exchange they would give would seemingly be a q9fn as they made no FAld last year thanks.

A bunch of spare parts? They will be brand new parts and you will have a brand new TV with a few old parts in it when your done. I understand you want a new set and that may happen or they may cut you a check in full too for what you paid if these items do not fix your TV.

·
Banned
3,449 Posts
I'm struggling with the colors on this thing now. With regards to HDR:

In Auto color space, the colors seem kind of dull and washed out until you start pushing the Color setting up until like 35 which then gives some weird looking colors that don't look right.
In Native color space, the colors look much better, HOWEVER, yellows are just way off, with yellow and gold colors taking on a distinct orange tone that just doesn't look right.

A good benchmark is the WB logo or Fox logos at the beginning of certain movies. They just turn into a gross orange/red color instead of the appropriate bold GOLD colors. Or, if left at the default Auto color space with Color at 25, just seems a little lacking of bold punch that it should have.

Anyone got any ideas here?

·
Registered
46 Posts
So i just got my Marantz SR7012 last week and have been setting it up during the weekend. And wow im so happy! :)

I connected everything and choose HDMI 1 on the one connect box and yes ALLM works like a charm. It also works with Anynet+ activated but not sure if it works with ARC since i shifted the HDMI cable from the ARC port from rekommendations from other users here. If anyone is interested i can try and swith back to the ARC port to see if it works or not.

But i have to say that this reciver seems ilka a perfect fit for a Q9 (or any other TV with ALLM activated) as it also torns of the volyme bar on the reciever to make sure the reciever has the lowest latency possible.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Still don’t understand why letterbox bars are jet black for movies and light gray for Stranger Things’ aspect ratio. Can this be solved via firmware?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5481 - 5500 of 11287 Posts