·
Registered
8,752 Posts
That's no counterpoint.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hey all,

Quick question. In a review of the 2018 Samsung Q9 I read that the local dimming can be extremely aggressive. So much that it can dim small, bright elements on a dark background to the point that they just disappear. Has this been updated since and if not, how bad is it really?

I have a Sony 930e myself and i'm eyeing the Q9 as second TV for the game room, how does it compare?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hey all,

Quick question. In a review of the 2018 Samsung Q9 I read that the local dimming can be extremely aggressive. So much that it can dim small, bright elements on a dark background to the point that they just disappear. Has this been updated since and if not, how bad is it really?
It's pretty distracting. Two movies I've viewed on it where it was very evident were Jurassic World : Fallen Kingdom and The Next Three Days. Both have a lot of dark lit scenes where it negatively shows off this aggressive local dimming.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Guys pls post or share ur settings im already pissed off. Can't calibrate this tv
What are you using to calibrate it - software, meter?

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's pretty distracting. Two movies I've viewed on it where it was very evident were Jurassic World : Fallen Kingdom and The Next Three Days. Both have a lot of dark lit scenes where it negatively shows off this aggressive local dimming.
I don't have the BR-UHD of fallen Kingdom yet ... try my settings :

General => Eco Solution:

-Ambiant sensor: Off
-Eco mode: Off

Picture menu => Movie Mode (HDR)

16:9 standard
Adjust screen : On

Expert parameters:
-Backlight: 32
-Luminosity: 0
-Contrast: 50
-Sharpen: 0 - 10 (depending of your taste and source player)
-Colors: 33 - 35 (test in live on skin tone for better adjust)
-Tint: 0
-Digital Clean View: Low
-Auto Motion Plus : 10/3 (LED Clearmotion: Off)
-Local Dimming: High
-Dynamic Contrast: Off (if your player don't remap movie encoded in 4000 nits set to Low for it)
-HDR+ Mode: Off
-Color Temperature: Warm 2
-Gamma: ST.2084
-ST.2084: +2
-Colors Space: Custom/BT2020

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I don't have the BR-UHD of fallen Kingdom yet ... try my settings :

General => Eco Solution:

-Ambiant sensor: Off
-Eco mode: Off

Picture menu => Movie Mode (HDR)

16:9 standard
Adjust screen : On

Expert parameters:
-Backlight: 32
-Luminosity: 0
-Contrast: 50
-Sharpen: 0 - 10 (depending of your taste and source player)
-Colors: 33 - 35 (test in live on skin tone for better adjust)
-Tint: 0
-Digital Clean View: Low
-Auto Motion Plus : 10/3 (LED Clearmotion: Off)
-Local Dimming: High
-Dynamic Contrast: Off (if your player don't remap movie encoded in 4000 nits set to Low for it)
-HDR+ Mode: Off
-Color Temperature: Warm 2
-Gamma: ST.2084
-ST.2084: +2
-Colors Space: Custom/BT2020
We do have a Settings thread, you may want to put this there also ...

Q9FN Settings

·
Registered
2,752 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
What exactly happens, it dims those scenes even more than usual? I can see this being a problem for gaming too?

·
Registered
964 Posts
What exactly happens, it dims those scenes even more than usual? I can see this being a problem for gaming too?
Wherever there is light, the rest of the screen darkens and brightens up as light shifts on screen. What really makes me mad is I had another full array backlit Samsung tv and it NEVER had this aggressive dimming. I also watch movies late at n ight with subtitles on and it's even worse because of the white colors. Another way to show off the aggressive local dimming is to hit the Home button during a dark scene. Then close it and watch what happens to the overall screen brightness.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Wherever there is light, the rest of the screen darkens and brightens up as light shifts on screen. What really makes me mad is I had another full array backlit Samsung tv and it NEVER had this aggressive dimming. I also watch movies late at n ight with subtitles on and it's even worse because of the white colors. Another way to show off the aggressive local dimming is to hit the Home button during a dark scene. Then close it and watch what happens to the overall screen brightness.

Natural mode is super crushed on this tv, brightness needs to be put to at least +2 to restore shadow detail. As for the pumping issue, anyway u can snag a spoiler free video of it? I havent seen the new jurassic world yet.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Dynamic isn't?
Natural mode is super crushed on this tv, brightness needs to be put to at least +2 to restore shadow detail. As for the pumping issue, anyway u can snag a spoiler free video of it? I havent seen the new jurassic world yet.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Congrats on the new set :)
Thanks, it's quite a difference coming from a 2013 edge lit samsung :)

I do have some concerns regarding DSE or uniformity of my TV. I'm absolutely stunned by the picture, 4k HDR looks insane, but I'm not sure if the amount or intensitiy of my DSE is within reason for a FALD. I very hardly see it in "normal" content, but it's a lot more distracting when watching sports.

Photos
(It looks a bit more pronunced in real life than in this video)
I love this TV and I know myself good enough to know that it would stop bother me after some time anyway, but if I can expect much better panels if I exchange it, I think it would be worth the hassle.

btw. Is it possible for DSE or some other visual anomalies to disappear or decrease over time, because I believe there was some additional quite big spot which I can't see now, especially on the 5% testpicture.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Anyone have trouble taking out the stand screws ? I want to mount the tv but they all got stuck. Tried a screw extractor still no luck. Anyone had any hardtime taking off the stand screws ?

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Settings thread should be deleted. There's only 2 guys who posted settings there
Because the 4 Picture Modes are all most people need. A few others have personal preferences, equipment, connection, cable, light or room issues.

6121 - 6140 of 11232 Posts