AVS Forum banner

7221 - 7240 of 11232 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm definitely starting to notice green lines or vertical banding or whatever it is. Mostly when I look at the sky in a game or a dark grey wall in games. Is this what they call DSE? When I am in the Xbox dashboard and I go to the settings screen it's very noticeable. The dark grey background isnt uniformly grey by any means. Weird green tinges through the grey and dark spots.

I then tried those Calman pictures, white, grey, green etc. Even though the green tinge is visible on the white backgrounds it isn't nearly as bad as during the grey backgrounds. So now the question is, do I return this (with all the horrible hassle that comes with it. I'm gonna have to disassemble it myself and put it back in the box myself etc) or do I just let it be? There's no guarantee that another set will not have these issues. Right?

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I'm definitely starting to notice green lines or vertical banding or whatever it is. Mostly when I look at the sky in a game or a dark grey wall in games. Is this what they call DSE? When I am in the Xbox dashboard and I go to the settings screen it's very noticeable. The dark grey background isnt uniformly grey by any means. Weird green tinges through the grey and dark spots.

I then tried those Calman pictures, white, grey, green etc. Even though the green tinge is visible on the white backgrounds it isn't nearly as bad as during the grey backgrounds. So now the question is, do I return this (with all the horrible hassle that comes with it. I'm gonna have to disassemble it myself and put it back in the box myself etc) or do I just let it be? There's no guarantee that another set will not have these issues. Right?

I have seen exactly what you are describing on the Xbox settings screen, the Games/Apps screen, and in the settings menu on the Nvidia Shield. I don't see it anywhere else so I leave it alone....an exchange isn't going to address it and it doesn't impact my daily experience in any meaningful way.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I have two photos of it. One is during a dark grey background and although this photo shows it worse than it really is, believe when I say it's still really bad and very noticeable in games when I have a wall in front of me with that color, or a object or area.

https://abload.de/img/img_20181129_222235b7d7c.jpg

https://abload.de/img/img_20181128_143759u9fx8.jpg

I believe you, I just don't think you're going to get any satisfaction short of switching to a different display entirely. I doubt swapping panels is going to accomplish anything.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
It would be a nice early Xmas present if Samsung would give North American owners the latest firmware that seems available everywhere else!!!! I don't understand why they have not released it in NA yet.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
It would be a nice early Xmas present if Samsung would give North American owners the latest firmware that seems available everywhere else!!!! I don't understand why they have not released it in NA yet.
OK, I'm going to play optimist and hope they're improving it more and soon will release a better update :)

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Maybe im going crazy but it looks like my screen is edge-led.

Even im sure it's a Q9FN (europe model)
Or is my screen just faulty?

And the screen is also very cloudy with white text

This will happen at severe angles both vertical and horizontal. Do you see those issues from directly straight on and eye level l?

·
Registered
16 Posts
This will happen at severe angles both vertical and horizontal. Do you see those issues from directly straight on and eye level l?

This is from straight on.

I notice it the most when playing games the edge light thing.

The very cloudy white text i notice with everything

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have two photos of it. One is during a dark grey background and although this photo shows it worse than it really is, believe when I say it's still really bad and very noticeable in games when I have a wall in front of me with that color, or a object or area.

https://abload.de/img/img_20181129_222235b7d7c.jpg

https://abload.de/img/img_20181128_143759u9fx8.jpg

I believe you, I just don't think you're going to get any satisfaction short of switching to a different display entirely. I doubt swapping panels is going to accomplish anything.
You mean there's no guarantee it won't have these issues? That certainly is true, sadly it's always kind of a lottery. It could even be worse on another one. Although i was told by someone on another forum that Samsung usually is great at their QA when it comes to their panels.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Maybe im going crazy but it looks like my screen is edge-led.

Even im sure it's a Q9FN (europe model)
Or is my screen just faulty?

And the screen is also very cloudy with white text
Regarding your second image with the edge glow: Have you tried turning on "Fit to Screen" with custom borders to zero? It's just a shot in the dark, but worth a try (or conversely, turning it off.)

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Cheers, but I'm not willing to spend £2k on a calibrator....

I'll stick with Spyder5pro and HCFR.....!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't spend on a calibrator either, just own CalMAN Home Theater. HFCR might do the same since it's calibrating through the serial input (I assume).

·
Registered
439 Posts
I don't spend on a calibrator either, just own CalMAN Home Theater. HFCR might do the same since it's calibrating through the serial input (I assume).

Not sure what that means, but HFCR uses a PC to measure the levels, so I'm assuming it's not as straightforward as Calman.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the EU model with the latest firmware. It still had black cruch if you lowered the backlight under something like 12 and watched dark content like Harry Potter in movie mode.
Same here. Backlight at 10 and gets worst if you turn power save on. Its a shame.

·
Vendor
26,657 Posts
Plasmas also never got to 4k. These new Tvs are trying to upscale a crappy source to a giant native resolution that Plasma never had to deal with.
True, but I feel the new TV's do not have the processing capabilities the plasma's had as far as low end material. In the end why would they worry about that, that stuff is not watched as much. Even though I will watch a episode of Sandford and Son now in then.... That's S A N F O R D. :D

You mean there's no guarantee it won't have these issues? That certainly is true, sadly it's always kind of a lottery. It could even be worse on another one. Although i was told by someone on another forum that Samsung usually is great at their QA when it comes to their panels.
Yep a lottery on any display devise for that matter......

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Not sure what that means, but HFCR uses a PC to measure the levels, so I'm assuming it's not as straightforward as Calman.

So your QLED is connected to your PC via HDMI?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I believe you, I just don't think you're going to get any satisfaction short of switching to a different display entirely.

I doubt swapping panels is going to accomplish anything.
Has anyone solved the DSE or banding problems by getting Samsung to swap out panels? In other words, is this a panel-dependent problem or something inherent with the technology?

Can people who have gotten new panels weigh in?

Thanks.

7221 - 7240 of 11232 Posts