AVS Forum banner

7241 - 7260 of 11235 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Has anyone solved the DSE or banding problems by getting Samsung to swap out panels? In other words, is this a panel-dependent problem or something inherent with the technology?

Can people who have gotten new panels weigh in?

Thanks.
DSE & banding are quite panel dependent.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Has anyone solved the DSE or banding problems by getting Samsung to swap out panels? In other words, is this a panel-dependent problem or something inherent with the technology?

Can people who have gotten new panels weigh in?

Thanks.

DSE is largely panel dependent, but practically all displays will exhibit it and full array backlighting can highlight the issue. As in practically all of our displays will have some level of DSE, yet the amount of DSE will vary significantly from one unit to the next due to a variety of factors (physical handling, shipping, manufacturing tolerances, etc.). Some panels are better than others, but I very seriously doubt that there is anyone here who has a flawless example of the Q9.

When I was replying to Moonwalker1982, I was specifically referring to his description of his Xbox when I said that I didn't think he would get satisfaction from a panel swap. That solid gray screen with Microsoft's 100% white text can cause havoc with the backlight system on the Q9. I can easily recreate his issue here. My panel has relatively mild DSE and isn't overly objectionable in actual content, yet that particular screen on my Xbox would quickly convince me that I have an absolutely terrible display if I didn't already know better.

I am no longer willing to comment specifically on banding. I always thought banding was panel dependent, but last years Q9 completely disabused me of that notion.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts

I am no longer willing to comment specifically on banding. I always thought banding was panel dependent, but last years Q9 completely disabused me of that notion.
Banding may be induced by content, panel and who knows what else, all of which may give their own contribution, IMHO ...

·
Registered
65 Posts

So are you saying that any banding we notice now is inherent in the technology and we're always going to have that problem?

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
So are you saying that any banding we notice now is inherent in the technology and we're always going to have that problem?

Not at all! I thought that banding was always due to a panel defect, but last year learned firsthand that it can be induced through poorly implemented software as well. I was speechless to find that at least in some instances it can be addressed via an update.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Regarding your second image with the edge glow: Have you tried turning on "Fit to Screen" with custom borders to zero? It's just a shot in the dark, but worth a try (or conversely, turning it off.)

I've tried setting it to custom borders and fit to screen but no luck.

ALso tried litterly almost every setting in video settings and in the xbox video settings but no luck.

So now im wondering if its either faulty, or that this how it is and i need to leave with it.
Because i had a 2 years of issues with the previous tv and got it finally swapped and got me this model, dont want to have the hassle again for 2 years to get it fixed/traded in.

So what would be best now?

Get it repaired/trade it in for same model?/ or live with it

·
Registered
669 Posts
I only thought of the 'Fit to Screen' option because I had to enable a 2% overscan on the cable box input of a previous set to clip the edges otherwise I'd see a similar glow or edge static. You have other issues with the display that you're not happy with, so perhaps you are still within the allowable period of exchange? Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not at all! I thought that banding was always due to a panel defect, but last year learned firsthand that it can be induced through poorly implemented software as well. I was speechless to find that at least in some instances it can be addressed via an update.

Ah! Thanks for clarifying. That gives me hope because I'm seeing some banding on my Q9FN and a tech is coming out today to look at it. Hope he can help.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Is it just me guys or is a lot of content (Amazon Prime shows, even 4K ones at that, Google movies, Netflix etc... not that amazing? Some daytime scenes in some 4K shows can look nice but the nighttime scenes... ugly as sin often. Grainy and I would say low quality etc. It's bad with 1080p shows but even 4K.

Too bad I don't have a single 4K blubray myself, only 1080p blu rays. I'm sure that would look a whole lot better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is it just me guys or is a lot of content (Amazon Prime shows, even 4K ones at that, Google movies, Netflix etc... not that amazing? Some daytime scenes in some 4K shows can look nice but the nighttime scenes... ugly as sin often. Grainy and I would say low quality etc. It's bad with 1080p shows but even 4K.

Too bad I don't have a single 4K blubray myself, only 1080p blu rays. I'm sure that would look a whole lot better.
When i watch Amazon Prime 4k stuff with the tv's app, I find it looks fantastic. (some black crush issues aside) At least that was the case on my first tv. This new one with the bright spots really makes me mad. Still waiting on exchange...

·
Registered
2,754 Posts

I just got my first few 4K discs (they're all reviewed as excellent 4K PQ at Blu-ray.com) but I need to set up my HT for 4K. I'm currently going through a Radiance 2143 that supports 4K resolution but not HDR and may have to go around it. Unfortunately the 2nd HDMI out of the Oppo 205 is audio only, unlike the one from the Oppo 105 I previously had which would let me do both through and around the 2143.

I hate the way the TV tries to manage the attached devices on its own, which I was circumventing by using the 2143 as the single unrecognizable input. They should be quiet and let a dumb remote do the talking :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
644 Posts

When i watch Amazon Prime 4k stuff with the tv's app, I find it looks fantastic. (some black crush issues aside) At least that was the case on my first tv. This new one with the bright spots really makes me mad. Still waiting on exchange...
Lately I'm watching Hand of God and man the grain is ugly as hell. Reminds me of the Netflix Marvel shows. What are some 4K shows to recommend?

Also, are you willing to share your settings? I am still in search of some good settings for HDR/SDR games and movies.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Is it just me guys or is a lot of content (Amazon Prime shows, even 4K ones at that, Google movies, Netflix etc... not that amazing?
When I compare DirecTV HD and 4K, often I can find no meaningful difference. Occasionally I see a 4K video with resolution and color better than any HD I've seen. For instance, on channel 104, DirecTV has shown two documentaries "Life Beyond Earth" which have a startlingly good picture quality. However, I've been able to compare HD and 4K versions of several episodes of the cooking series "Giada in Italy", and the 4K versions have no better picture quality than the HD versions -- occasionally 4K is even worse.

I'm not speculating why this is -- just reporting.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
When I compare DirecTV HD and 4K, often I can find no meaningful difference. Occasionally I see a 4K video with resolution and color better than any HD I've seen. For instance, on channel 104, DirecTV has shown two documentaries "Life Beyond Earth" which have a startlingly good picture quality. However, I've been able to compare HD and 4K versions of several episodes of the cooking series "Giada in Italy", and the 4K versions have no better picture quality than the HD versions -- occasionally 4K is even worse.

I'm not speculating why this is -- just reporting.
I agree. It just depends on so many variables, stream versus satellite versus cable versus disc, resolution, platform, etc. It's impossible to answer him in any definitive way. I see some 1080p content like the 2nd Thor on Netflix which to my eyes looks just as good, clear and colorful as most of the 4k content I've seen. I've seen other 1080p content that looks just as bad as a show I recorded on the local channels like the CW. I've seen some 4k that looks much better than others. Some shows have grain, others don't, some have more motion issues than others. It's all over the map. All I know is that for 1080p and higher, I get a better picture than my previous Sharp Elite which I loved lol.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've had my 75" Q9FN for a few days now, and I have mixed feelings. Samsung has done some things well, while falling short on others. One thing is for certain, viz. this TV is way overpriced.

Good:
Upscaling of cable TV is very good. Much better than I expected.
Interface, while a bit awkward, is snappy.
Build quality is good.
Remote control setup, layout, and build quality is top notch.
Sound is quite good for built-in speakers.
No visible banding on my unit.
Great anti-reflective coating. The reflections are there, but not annoying at all.
One Connect box hasn't given me any issues thus far.

Bad:
SDE is absolutely horrible. By far the worst of any TV I have ever owned. (Hockey is unwatchable.)
Black crush is real.
Motion is a mixed bag. Does not compare favorably with even mid-range Sony's.
Colors are far, far from accurate out of the box. I will be calibrating.
Bixby really struggles to be useful.

I am fairly happy with the Q9FN, but I feel like some of the review sites understated it's shortcomings. SDE and black crush are almost deal breakers. RTINGS felt that the out of the box colors were decent, but they are not even remotely accurate.

This TV is for my office and should be fine for that environment. If I was making an LCD purchase for my main viewing room, I would go with the Sony Z9F. In general, although there are some things to like, I could never recommend this TV at the current price.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
I've had my 75" Q9FN for a few days now, and I have mixed feelings. Samsung has done some things well, while falling short on others. One thing is for certain, viz. this TV is way overpriced.

Good:
Build quality is good.
Great anti-reflective coating. The reflections are there, but not annoying at all.

Bad:
SDE is absolutely horrible. By far the worst of any TV I have ever owned. (Hockey is unwatchable.)
Black crush is real.

I am fairly happy with the Q9FN, but I feel like some of the review sites understated it's shortcomings. SDE and black crush are almost deal breakers. RTINGS felt that the out of the box colors were decent, but they are not even remotely accurate.

This TV is for my office and should be fine for that environment. If I was making an LCD purchase for my main viewing room, I would go with the Sony Z9F. In general, although there are some things to like, I could never recommend this TV at the current price.
If the DSE is that bad I would exchange it for another panel, especially given the Q9 prices. IMO, the Z9F is to be avoided with its hybrid IPS panel.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts

Good:
Build quality is good.

Bad:
Black crush is real.

Fair enough. For the most part I agree with your assessment, with some minor differences. I also think that you will be pleasantly surprised after calibration. OOTB the Q9 is way out of spec, but even some basic adjustments tighten things up considerably and make the price a lot more palatable.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If the DSE is that bad I would exchange it for another panel, especially given the Q9 prices. IMO, the Z9F is to be avoided with its hybrid IPS panel.
Do you have a link showing that the Z9F uses a “hybrid IPS panel?” Everything I have read either suggests or outright states that it is VA. I prefer IPS monitors for my daily computer usage but am not sure I’d want that for my TV.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Do you have a link showing that the Z9F uses a “hybrid IPS panel?” Everything I have read either suggests or outright states that it is VA. I prefer IPS monitors for my daily computer usage but am not sure I’d want that for my TV.
Check the Rtngs review of the Z9F. Technically it is a VA panel but Sony is using a technology they call "X Wide Viewing Angle" which improves viewing angles (as IPS panels do) but at the expense of contrast ratio (as IPS panels do). The net effect is that it does a half ass job on both viewing angle and contrast, hence the term "hybrid IPS". At the price level for a Z9F, I don't know of too many owners who would be willing to accept the compromised black levels but to each their own.

7241 - 7260 of 11235 Posts