AVS Forum banner

7281 - 7300 of 11232 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I also forego Freesync and run my Xbox through my receiver. Someday I may regret that, but for right now audio accuracy trumps a barely utilized gaming feature that's still in it's infancy. Chances are that by the time Freesync actually becomes meaningful on consoles I'll be ready for some new hardware anyway.

Even still, I wouldn't complain if Denon added this in a future update (assuming that it's possible of course).

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I'm hoping for some advice/user views on the Q9FN . so I'll be upgrading from the Samsung ks9500 2016 model. I loved it's brightness and vibrancy. the one infernal Thing that was a showstopper and I had half a mind to switch to something else, was the anti glare coating. you cannot lay a drop of liquid or moisture while wiping the screen without leaving a PERMANENT weird blue stain/smudge on this tv set.. I tried distilled water , Avoided any alcohol based cleaners, the screen still gets stained with the blue tinted smudges, returned the set multiple times still the same results with the replacements.I can conclude that if the screen gets dirty/smudge u would have to dry wipe it or else live with the residual smudges(and I think the ks7000 and ks8000 range in 2016 had the same problwm)

so the million dollar question , does the 2018 Q9FN suffer the same plight. are there any problems using a damp cloth to clean the tv without leaving any permenant streaks? this will be a show stopper for me

The antiglare is different from what they used on the SUHD sets and it's probably fine but I still refuse to chance it with cleaning agents. I only use fine microfiber cloths to wipe down the tv, which I buy in bulk packs. I don't even reuse them...wipe once and throw away or repurpose for other less expensive devices.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Damn. So there's no way to fix this? I tried using the audio delay option on the Denon but it didn't do a thing. Freesync is nice indeed but barely any games on Xbox right now benefit from it, right? Guess I could switch back. I'm gonna miss having the Xbox option in the Samsung mebu though. I really liked that.

I tried the lip sinc audio delay option on the Denon and it slightly improved but I can't seem to get it just right. I have my headset powered on at the same time and that way I can really notice the delay.
iirc audio delay adjustments only work when then video is delayed after the audio, in this case the freesync straight to the TV is much faster than the audio, so the delay setting would have to time travel back in time to sync with the video. The only way would be to delay the video to sync to the audio and that would negate the entire purpose of low latency freesync. I think eARC should technically fix this as it will pass through the audio stream without any processing, however right now the one connect is doing some processing on the xbox bitstream for ARC and that is what is causing the delay
So my options are.... either use optical which isn't too bad for just my two speakers until I go full on Dolby Atmos setup next year. Or just hook the Xbox up to my receiver. There's no way to get the Xbox icon in the Samsung menu if I do that though, right?

I also forego Freesync and run my Xbox through my receiver. Someday I may regret that, but for right now audio accuracy trumps a barely utilized gaming feature that's still in it's infancy. Chances are that by the time Freesync actually becomes meaningful on consoles I'll be ready for some new hardware anyway.

Even still, I wouldn't complain if Denon added this in a future update (assuming that it's possible of course).
Well for some games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider that actually suffer from screen tearing in Xbox One X Freesync is great, because there is no tearing then. But the majority of games don't support it really.

Another issue I have is that my Xbox constantly powers on when I power my TV on. I tried to disable HDMI CEC and that works, problem is it won't see my receiver when I do that. How can I prevent this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The antiglare is different from what they used on the SUHD sets and it's probably fine but I still refuse to chance it with cleaning agents. I only use fine microfiber cloths to wipe down the tv, which I buy in bulk packs. I don't even reuse them...wipe once and throw away or repurpose for other less expensive devices.
do you wipe it down with only absolutely dry microfiber cloths or do you slightly dampen the cloth?

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
So my options are.... either use optical which isn't too bad for just my two speakers until I go full on Dolby Atmos setup next year. Or just hook the Xbox up to my receiver. There's no way to get the Xbox icon in the Samsung menu if I do that though, right?

Well for some games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider that actually suffer from screen tearing in Xbox One X Freesync is great, because there is no tearing then. But the majority of games don't support it really.

Another issue I have is that my Xbox constantly powers on when I power my TV on. I tried to disable HDMI CEC and that works, problem is it won't see my receiver when I do that. How can I prevent this?

Sorry, I don't have an easy answer. My belief is that CEC is the most half-assed technology ever deployed in this industry and I disable it entirely on most of my systems. I know that some others here really like it but I find it to only be useful in the most simplistic of setups. My preferred solution is to use a hub based Harmony remote. These work wonderfully once you have a handle on how to program them beyond the basics but obviously this incurs an additional cost.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
do you wipe it down with only absolutely dry microfiber cloths or do you slightly dampen the cloth?

Dry cloths only. I'm not keen on chancing any liquids on a $6000 television with advanced optical coatings. For the most part it's not a big deal in my household as it's dust I'm primarily dealing with. The occasional fingerprint wipes off reasonably well and the rare doggie nose print is fine as well as long as I catch it soon....if it's there for awhile it still comes off but needs a bit more patience.

I figure if finger/nose prints ever become a serious concern in my house I can simply cut off my wife's fingers or get my dogs Hannibal Lecter masks. ;)

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Oh and as for Gamma. I can only select one but you listed all three; HLG, ST.2084 and BT.1886. You switch between these?

The TV switches among these depending on what video source it is displaying. I got those 3 values by putting up the settings display then switching sources.

·
Registered
644 Posts

Sorry, I don't have an easy answer. My belief is that CEC is the most half-assed technology ever deployed in this industry and I disable it entirely on most of my systems. I know that some others here really like it but I find it to only be useful in the most simplistic of setups. My preferred solution is to use a hub based Harmony remote. These work wonderfully once you have a handle on how to program them beyond the basics but obviously this incurs an additional cost.
But for me the problem would still be that I don't see my receiver at all in the sources list on the TV once CEC has been disabled. Really annoying because I dont always want the Xbox powering on as soon as I power on the TV for some Netflix or something else.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
But for me the problem would still be that I don't see my receiver at all in the sources list on the TV once CEC has been disabled. Really annoying because I dont always want the Xbox powering on as soon as I power on the TV for some Netflix or something else.

You should still be able to see your receiver (or at the very least that an unknown device is connected to that specific HDMI port), just not control it or anything connected to it via the TV remote.

·
Registered
7 Posts
New member and 65” Q9FN owner checking in from the U.K. here.

Upgraded recently from the Panasonic VT50 Plasma... this thing still has me saying “WOW....!” Weeks later.

Love it. Best thing I’ve bough5 myself in years!
Look forward to learning a little from you guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gary J

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
So what do you think?
The picture is the best I have ever seen. The upconversion from SD to 4K works better then I thought it would. I mounted the 1-Connect-Box on the back of my equipment cabinet thus making it completely hidden. The audio on the Q9FN is better than I originally expected. The ARC is connected to my Emotovia UMC-200 and DD 5.1 comes through without any problems. I'm disappointed that DTS and other surround channel formats are not passed through. I hope that Samsung will add these other surround channel formats via firmware updates. I currently have the optical output from my media center computer connect directly to my surround channel processor for DTS decoding.

I think the availability of 4K HDR content is lacking. But the excellent upconversion for 1080p to 4K is excellent.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
settings

I stumbled on the "HDR Channel" on Youtube (using the Q9FN's Youtube app) and found some very beautiful travelogues of southern Spain in 4K HDR. They showed me that I had my Color setting too high, so I've changed that from 22 down to 14, and I found other mistakes. I edited my above post on settings accordingly.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
I stumbled on the "HDR Channel" on Youtube (using the Q9FN's Youtube app) and found some very beautiful travelogues of southern Spain in 4K HDR. They showed me that I had my Color setting too high, so I've changed that from 22 down to 14, and I found other mistakes. I edited my above post on settings accordingly.
And that's where the problems usually start - changing settings based on one program, from one app from one source.

·
Vendor
26,657 Posts
Hi and Happy Holidays,
Its been a long time since I have posted on the AVS Forum. On Black Friday I purchase a 2015 65 inch Q9FN. Its been exactly one week since it was mounted on wall in my living room replacing a 10 year old Samsung 1080 52 inch display.
You mean 2018 ;)

Damn it. The connect box is causing a delay in sound. I have my Xbox One X connected to the connect box and not my Denon AVR-X1400H receiver because I miss out on some features. If I do connect it to the receiver there is no audio delay. There is a significant audio delay when I have the Xbox connected via HDMI to the Samsung box.
Its probably the TV as a whole not the one connect box itself.

·
Registered
128 Posts
For some reason I can't select auto game mode. I went into the options and it says the function isn't available. Wtf?
It's really really stupid and only enables auto when it detects a console, I had to replug in my PS4 to get auto selectable, the fact they grey out options for no reason infuriates me. Try unplugging the xbox and plugging it back in while the TV is on, however if you do this the stupid smart remote will "learn" the xbox and if you remove it from the remote then auto game mode will be greyed out again, it is an idiotic design

·
Registered
644 Posts
For some reason I can't select auto game mode. I went into the options and it says the function isn't available. Wtf?
It's really really stupid and only enables auto when it detects a console, I had to replug in my PS4 to get auto selectable, the fact they grey out options for no reason infuriates me
Extremely annoying indeed. It is a cool feature though. Although I wish it would know when I actually start a game or a app on Xbox. But I understand I am asking too much then, haha.

Ok so I need to unplug the Xbox in terms of HDMI? Because I already did a full reboot of the Xbox. Maybe this TV needs a full reboot for a change. Or a factory reset maybe.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Maybe I will contact Samsung and try for a better panel with less SDE (Samsung should be embarrassed). This TV has the potential to be great, and the upscaling really is outstanding.

Excuse the ignorance, but can DSE be fixed with a firmware update or can it only be fixed by replacing the panel?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree about the motion processing. I actually like the look of the Automotion Plus, but I'm forced to turn in off completely as I see serious skipping on pretty much any level with it engaged. It's like the algorithm Samsung uses is slow to recognize moving objects, and it creates a terrible stutter in the process.

Agree 100%. I turned it off and life is good again.

7281 - 7300 of 11232 Posts