AVS Forum banner

7301 - 7320 of 11232 Posts

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
And that's where the problems usually start - changing settings based on one program, from one app from one source.
Ahem. I didn't, in fact, make the change based on just the programs I mention. They are just the videos that made me aware of the earlier mistake. I went back and checked the changed Color with some other videos I was familiar with. I always do that.

However, I am not suggesting that anyone else use any user control values I use. Rather, what I do, is take my and others' remarks about calibration as a source of ideas about user controls. I use my own eyes. Here, if you like, look at those videos I mention and experiment with a lower value for the Color control.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm watching Goliath on Prime now with the default standard settings and I'm noticing that the bright subtitles problem is happening here as well and it certainly isn't only with Netflix. At least with Netflix you can alter the subtitles and make them less bright, not here. In dark scenes I constantly notice brightness changes as soon as the subs pop up. I tried dynamic mode as well and the other modes too. The Sony 930e doesn't have this. What gives?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Maybe I’m on crack but for HDR mode I just set brightness to -1 and st2084 gamma to +2 and it looks 5000x better, with backlight 50, contrast 45 and color 30

·
Registered
644 Posts
Turns out you CAN edit the subtitle settings for Prime and even make the text opacity lower. But of course there had to be more BS... the text isn't showing up like that at all and none of the presets I can choose have the low opacity. However when I watch on my Phone app... sigh... all my presets are there.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Maybe I’m on crack but for HDR mode I just set brightness to -1 and st2084 gamma to +2 and it looks 5000x better, with backlight 50, contrast 45 and color 30
That's with HDR+ mode or just movie or standard movie during actual HDR content? I rather just see HDR content in actual HDR and not with the HDR+ mode.

·
Registered
644 Posts
That's with HDR+ mode or just movie or standard movie during actual HDR content? I rather just see HDR content in actual HDR and not with the HDR+ mode.
actual HDR content in movie mode, I have HDR+ off
I'll try that one. And as for sharpness, digital clean view, auto motion plus, local dimming, contrast enhancer, color tone and color space?

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'll try that one. And as for sharpness, digital clean view, auto motion plus, local dimming, contrast enhancer, color tone and color space?
Sharpness 0, clean view off, motion off,dimming high, contrast enhancer off, color tone warm2, color space auto
Ok, that's how the settings are here as well.

Is it normal for this TV to constantly have this weird brightness change, only in certain areas as soon as the bright white subtitles show up? I have this with Amazon Prime shows in the app and Netflix too. If I disable subs it's gone, if I enable them it's like a flashlight is being used around the area of the subtles and its very distracting.

For Netflix to combat this I use grey subtitles with a very low opacity and that works fine. Why does this happen? I'm gonna try some Blu-ray discs tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Turns out you CAN edit the subtitle settings for Prime and even make the text opacity lower. But of course there had to be more BS... the text isn't showing up like that at all and none of the presets I can choose have the low opacity. However when I watch on my Phone app... sigh... all my presets are there.
The biggest problem I have with the subtitles on Prime is not with the set, but how they never seem to align with the timing of what someone is saying. Lol

·
Registered
644 Posts
The biggest problem I have with the subtitles on Prime is not with the set, but how they never seem to align with the timing of what someone is saying. Lol
Oh that sounds damn annoying. I just don't understand why my subtitle presets work fine on the phone app I can't even select them on the TV app. Ah well, only a few more shows to go and then I'll quit the subscription anyway and it's back to Netflix.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
This probally got asked a million times.

But what are the optimal setting for this TV on the Xbox One X for SDR and HDR content?

I've tried the settings from rtings.com but i'm sure you guys have some better idea's ;p

Also need a good suggestion for settings for my chromecast source for movie/tv shows

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yep, auto game mode works again. Plugging HDMI cable out/back in did it. Something else, I have read that I should set the HDMI black level of the TV to low. Which I always do with TVs. Problem is..... sigh... this setting is at auto and greyed out. ****ing hell Samsung. How do I access this?

·
Registered
644 Posts
If there's someone with a Q9FN here as well with also Far Cry 5 or Battlefield 5 on Xbox One X, could you maybe do me a favor? I need to know if there's something with this panel because the flicker issue keeps appearing. At first it seemed it was only with certain games but that's not the case, it's solely with games in HDR though and I've used three different HDMI cables, the one that comes with the X, a high quality 4K cable by Cinnamon and a newly bought one from today.

I recorded the video while using game mode on TV with the default settings, which means sharpness at 10. But no matter, even at 5 or 1 I still see these flickerings which distract bigtime. When I turn HDR10 off its all gone and I can play fine with sharpness up to 10+ if I wanted.

https://youtu.be/sEGCA2EKRvI

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
If there's someone with a Q9FN here as well with also Far Cry 5 or Battlefield 5 on Xbox One X, could you maybe do me a favor? I need to know if there's something with this panel because the flicker issue keeps appearing. At first it seemed it was only with certain games but that's not the case, it's solely with games in HDR though and I've used three different HDMI cables, the one that comes with the X, a high quality 4K cable by Cinnamon and a newly bought one from today.

I recorded the video while using game mode on TV with the default settings, which means sharpness at 10. But no matter, even at 5 or 1 I still see these flickerings which distract bigtime. When I turn HDR10 off its all gone and I can play fine with sharpness up to 10+ if I wanted.

I don't know what's causing that but I can confirm I don't see that flickering in BF5.

·
Registered
644 Posts

I don't know what's causing that but I can confirm I don't see that flickering in BF5.
It seems to be the sharpness option. When it's at 0 I barely see it but the picture is too soft for my liking and at 1 I begin to see those flickers. In SDR it doesn't matter what Sharpness I don't get that weird stuff. What do you have sharpness set at?

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
It seems to be the sharpness option. When it's at 0 I barely see it but the picture is too soft for my liking and at 1 I begin to see those flickers. In SDR it doesn't matter what Sharpness I don't get that weird stuff. What do you have sharpness set at?

My Sharpness setting in Game Mode is at the default 10. I also do not have any of the game motion settings enabled.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've seen some thing similar in SotTR on PC when I had my Q9FN, I think it might be a side effect of the panels pixel overdrive and HDR. Now on my ZF9 I don't get that flickering effect at all when I'm playing in the same area as before.

7301 - 7320 of 11232 Posts