AVS Forum banner

7321 - 7340 of 11265 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
It seems to be the sharpness option. When it's at 0 I barely see it but the picture is too soft for my liking and at 1 I begin to see those flickers. In SDR it doesn't matter what Sharpness I don't get that weird stuff. What do you have sharpness set at?

My Sharpness setting in Game Mode is at the default 10. I also do not have any of the game motion settings enabled.
Same here. All motion stuff is off. And you play BFV in HDR, right? That's the important thing here, it only happens in HDR games.

It seems to be the sharpness option. When it's at 0 I barely see it but the picture is too soft for my liking and at 1 I begin to see those flickers. In SDR it doesn't matter what Sharpness I don't get that weird stuff. What do you have sharpness set at?
I've seen some thing similar in SotTR on PC when I had my Q9FN, I think it might be a side effect of the panels pixel overdrive and HDR. Now on my ZF9 I don't get that flickering effect at all when I'm playing in the same area as before.
So there's a big chance even if I get a new one I'll still see the issue, damn.

Before this TV I had a Sony 930e and I never had these issues either. Guess I'll just have to cope with it, or turn off HDR in these games or put Sharpness at 0. 😞

·
Registered
772 Posts
Turn sharpness to zero, especially if it adds flicker. We’ve discussed it before in this thread, sharpness softens the image and adds a kind of outline around the edges. It’s meant for lower resolution content so it “pops” out more but will definitely take away detail at the same time.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Turn sharpness to zero, especially if it adds flicker. We’ve discussed it before in this thread, sharpness softens the image and adds a kind of outline around the edges. It’s meant for lower resolution content so it “pops” out more but will definitely take away detail at the same time.
I've never been a fan of sharpness at zero, on no TV, not on the B6 OLED, Sony 930e and now the Q9FN. I always want some Sharpness. 0 is way too soft for me and takes away an otherwise crisper picture. I definitely should be able to at least change it to 1 or 2 without getting that flicker effect. Plus my brother doesn't have this at all on his KS8000. Also, in SDR I can keep sharpness at the default 10 and none of that flicker. I definitely think something is wrong. It can't be the HDMI cable though, I've tried three different ones now.

Besides in Far Cry 5 and BFV even with sharpness off I still see the flicker around foliage which is very distracting and really shouldn't be happening.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I want to like this TV but all I’m reading on this owners thread is complaining. 😐

Is anyone happy with this set? I have a 2016 KS9500 and think I’m just going to keep it vs risk running into this or that.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I want to like this TV but all I’m reading on this owners thread is complaining.

Is anyone happy with this set? I have a 2016 KS9500 and think I’m just going to keep it vs risk running into this or that.

I am!

Prefer it to the previous E8 and B8 OLEDs I had.

Don't forget - People are more likely to complain and ask for help here than they are to say how pleased they are with the TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
owner of 2016 ks9000/9500. picture is superb for a led. the only show stopper is that the screen is impossible to clean. once a little oil or moisture gets on the screen it leaves a permanent blue streak or stain. showstopper if one can't clean the screen. I've only used pure distilled water and this crap happens.

I'm looking to upgrade my set for this some reason but I dunno of the 2018 range suffers from this? any opinions?

·
Registered
669 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
I want to like this TV but all I’m reading on this owners thread is complaining. 😐

I want to like this TV but all I’m reading on this owners thread is complaining.

I am!

Prefer it to the previous E8 and B8 OLEDs I had.

Don't forget - People are more likely to complain and ask for help here than they are to say how pleased they are with the TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The first day that I got my Q9FN I was ecstatic about it. Coming from a Sony 930e which already was quite a great screen I saw a clear improvement in picture quality. It's just these issues I'm having now that hopefully can be fixed and for me there's always a lot of trying out settings first before truly being satisfied and all that. 🙂

I've never had a TV where it was just top notch out of the box.

·
Registered
644 Posts
This probally got asked a million times.

But what are the optimal setting for this TV on the Xbox One X for SDR and HDR content?

I've tried the settings from rtings.com but i'm sure you guys have some better idea's 😜

Also need a good suggestion for settings for my chromecast source for movie/tv shows
I'm still trying out settings as well man. I did follow some settings from a YouTuber but he changed things like brightness and even Gamma and for some games that looks fine and for others it doesn't. I hope to get settings that will just be fine for all games really. Way too much of a hassle to have to change it per game.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm still trying out settings as well man. I did follow some settings from a YouTuber but he changed things like brightness and even Gamma and for some games that looks fine and for others it doesn't. I hope to get settings that will just be fine for all games really. Way too much of a hassle to have to change it per game.
If we are talking about HDR, I suffer on all the sets I've had, Q9FN, Q900 and now ZF9. The standard doesn't tell what to do with a HDR10 signal, it is only ratified for what to out put. So many games and TV's implement it in their own way and as a result you may have to tweak both the ingame settings and your TV settings per game to get it to look great. Spiderman on PS4 for instance is mastered against a peak luminance of 600 nits which is laughably dark, this game must have been mastered in their game studio on a cheap consumer OLED, not taking into account the much brighter LED TV's on the market. It just looks dull and I prefer to play it in SDR as a result. Also some games do tone-mapping for you when you set the ingame peak brightness slider. Some TV's automatically applies tone-mapping if the peaks of the content exceeds the TV's max peak nits for you and some doesn't. It's a wild west right now.

Reactions: SkyYYZ

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I must be doing something wrong but I'm not really impressed at all by HDR. Maybe I'm just not watching any good content. Jack Ryan is about the best I think. Anything on Netflix just looks dark and gloomy. Any suggestions

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
The picture is the best I have ever seen. The upconversion from SD to 4K works better then I thought it would. I mounted the 1-Connect-Box on the back of my equipment cabinet thus making it completely hidden. The audio on the Q9FN is better than I originally expected. The ARC is connected to my Emotovia UMC-200 and DD 5.1 comes through without any problems. I'm disappointed that DTS and other surround channel formats are not passed through. I hope that Samsung will add these other surround channel formats via firmware updates. I currently have the optical output from my media center computer connect directly to my surround channel processor for DTS decoding.

I think the availability of 4K HDR content is lacking. But the excellent upconversion for 1080p to 4K is excellent.
hello man can u please explain how exactly do i do what u did? there are so many movies that i cant watch because of dts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I must be doing something wrong but I'm not really impressed at all by HDR. Maybe I'm just not watching any good content. Jack Ryan is about the best I think. Anything on Netflix just looks dark and gloomy. Any suggestions

Blacklist on Netflix looked pretty impressive to me, particularly the first episode.

·
Vendor
27,146 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
If we are talking about HDR, I suffer on all the sets I've had, Q9FN, Q900 and now ZF9. The standard doesn't tell what to do with a HDR10 signal, it is only ratified for what to out put. So many games and TV's implement it in their own way and as a result you may have to tweak both the ingame settings and your TV settings per game to get it to look great. Spiderman on PS4 for instance is mastered against a peak luminance of 600 nits which is laughably dark, this game must have been mastered in their game studio on a cheap consumer OLED, not taking into account the much brighter LED TV's on the market. It just looks dull and I prefer to play it in SDR as a result. Also some games do tone-mapping for you when you set the ingame peak brightness slider. Some TV's automatically applies tone-mapping if the peaks of the content exceeds the TV's max peak nits for you and some doesn't. It's a wild west right now.
Oh damn, I'm surprised to read that about Spiderman, had heard the HDR is sublime. I'm kinda glad I don't have a Pro with that game right now because I already know it would have annoyed the hell out of me that I couldn't get HDR right. Some games do it great right out of the box. Gears 4 for example, Shadow of the Tomb Raider looks superb on the Q9FN. Yeah the problem with developers putting in HDR is that the tutorial(barely a tutorial) how to set up the HDR leaves a lot to be desired. Far Cry 5 for example, it doesn't tell you **** really.

Sometimes it's just better to disable HDR completely.

Same here man. I watched several shows on Amazon Prime like Goliath and I don't see the benefit at all. I do remember the movie Bright on Netflix looking really good on my previous TV, the Sony 930e. You could try that one.

·
Registered
644 Posts

Blacklist on Netflix looked pretty impressive to me, particularly the first episode.
Blacklist looks great in terms of resolution but it's not HDR. When it comes to very nice 4K in shows I would definitely add Better call Saul too. Fantastic show and looks very crisp too.

As for HDR, I saw that Mowgli is out. I wonder how the HDR in that movie is.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Same here. All motion stuff is off. And you play BFV in HDR, right? That's the important thing here, it only happens in HDR games.

I'm playing in HDR. I've become so spoiled that I actually pass over games now that aren't in HDR.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts

I love my TV. There are some annoying quirks regarding the OS, but the picture quality is astounding. There isn't another display on the market right now that I would consider swapping for.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Blacklist looks great in terms of resolution but it's not HDR. When it comes to very nice 4K in shows I would definitely add Better call Saul too. Fantastic show and looks very crisp too.

As for HDR, I saw that Mowgli is out. I wonder how the HDR in that movie is.

Ah crap you are right. I was checking out a lot of different content when I first got my TV and got it mixed up in my head. Honestly surprised because it stands out in my memory as one of the better looking shows I looked at, HDR or no!

7321 - 7340 of 11265 Posts