AVS Forum banner

7381 - 7400 of 11232 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Banding - Is It Present on All Q9FN's?

Hi -

I recently picked up a 65" Q9FN for $2099. It was too good of a price to not purchase on the spot.

I'm now noticing and researching has confirmed that there is a bit of a banding issue. Is this something that is just inherent on all LCD TVs? It sounds as if the significance of the banding depends on the panel, but it appears as if it's always present to some degree. Is this true?

I see it with test patterns and grey screens. I even noticed it when the TV first turned on with the bright cloud screen prior to setup. With real content, I really don't notice it. It's just when I go looking for it I can see it. Is it a problem? Should I send it back to find a panel without banding? Sending it back without a true defect may cause a 20% restocking fee which is not ideal......

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Hi -

I recently picked up a 65" Q9FN for $2099. It was too good of a price to not purchase on the spot.

I'm now noticing and researching has confirmed that there is a bit of a banding issue. Is this something that is just inherent on all LCD TVs? It sounds as if the significance of the banding depends on the panel, but it appears as if it's always present to some degree. Is this true?

I see it with test patterns and grey screens. I even noticed it when the TV first turned on with the bright cloud screen prior to setup. With real content, I really don't notice it. It's just when I go looking for it I can see it. Is it a problem? Should I send it back to find a panel without banding? Sending it back without a true defect may cause a 20% restocking fee which is not ideal......

Thoughts?
I only see any banding while gaming in certain scenes. Otherwise the panel is amazing...... Unless watching test patterns is your thing

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
I only see any banding while gaming in certain scenes. Otherwise the panel is amazing...... Unless watching test patterns is your thing

That's another issue. Test patterns and all that make you find the issues. Under normal circumstances you really don't see it.

I do love a good test pattern. Very enjoyable to watch!

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hi -

Thoughts?
This is quite common on FALD TVs and comes with the territory. Q9FN is not as good as the Q900 or ZF9 in my personal experience. It’s usually only visible when you have a camera pan on a relatively uniform background. Or in dark fullscreen grays. It’s up to you to decide how bad it is for the price but the next set could be better or worse as Q9 while pretty uniform is not at the top.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
As always I eagerly await your insight.
There was a difference in the zip file in that it did not have a top folder T-KTM2AKUC, just the image folder with the upgrade and text file, but the plain image folder was recognized by the update process and proceeded with no problems. I did get a blank screen after I loaded a 4K disc. Turning the TV and disc player off and on cleared that.

My quick check with the HDMV-2d calibration disc showed noticeably better near-black level response which should equate to less black crush. This was in SDR with no re-calibration, so I'm excited. I'll be calibrating over the next day or so and see what gives.

Unfortunately I don't game or use sound on the TV so I can't comment there. I did just get some 4K/UHD discs so I'll be checking those.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Hi -

Thoughts?
No banding here. And read the thread title.

·
Vendor
26,657 Posts
Hi -

That is correct, you will have screen uniformity issues of some kind to some degree, not saying a near perfect TV is not out there, they are rare though, needle in the hey stack kind of thing.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hi -

Thoughts?
Yes I see banding. With banding you mean vertical lines, right? I also have a green tinge thrown in it and in that regard really reminds me of the Panasonic VT30 plasma and that's not a nice memory. That being said i truly only notice it in Battlefield V when I look at dark grey areas like walls or when underwater or during the game Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice. In the cave areas I can definitely see it and I don't like it but I have come to accept that every single TV will have its own bull****.

The B6 OLED that I had for a year was too dim in HDR game mode, image retention appeared way too fast, The Sony 930e had too much bloom or haloing for my liking. And the Q9FN so far has the banding and green tinge and brightness going up in shows/movies with bright white subtitles. There really is no perfect TV. After I had seen all these things in the content I enjoy I decided to check out some test patterns. But I made sure to not do that as soon as I had the TV. Because you can't unsee it then anymore.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Man that download is slow :).

Here's what I found back when new FW came out for Europe:

German site: T-KTM2UABC

Ours and Korea: T-KTM2AKUC
I remembered reading about the firmware/chassis topic before and found one of the discussions about it here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2387466-official-samsung-ks8000-ks8500-owners-thread-1037.html#post55289838

I think it's the KUC portion that indicates North American/Korean chassis, and the KTM2 describes our KANT-M2 SoC. In the example link above, the KS8000 chassis is T-JZMAKUC which seemingly describes the 2016 JAZZM SoC. To be clear, I'm not recommending anyone download and install it...I'm just furthering the suggestion that the firmware files are identical.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I see some judder in some shows, not sure if it's the show's doing or the TV, but what are good auto motion plus settings that don't introduce artifacts and don't make it look fake?

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Thanks Nillaz

No problem. The KS9000 was one of my favorite TV's of all time and this year's Q9 is basically that taken to the next level. I suspect you will be pleased.

Reactions: SkyYYZ

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
There was a difference in the zip file in that it did not have a top folder T-KTM2AKUC, just the image folder with the upgrade and text file, but the plain image folder was recognized by the update process and proceeded with no problems. I did get a blank screen after I loaded a 4K disc. Turning the TV and disc player off and on cleared that.

My quick check with the HDMV-2d calibration disc showed noticeably better near-black level response which should equate to less black crush. This was in SDR with no re-calibration, so I'm excited. I'll be calibrating over the next day or so and see what gives.

Unfortunately I don't game or use sound on the TV so I can't comment there. I did just get some 4K/UHD discs so I'll be checking those.
Any new updates on the latest FW? Also any idea what the time frame was for earlier ones when the US site showed the latest after the Korean site posted theirs?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Tom's Guide | Samsung 65-inch Q9FN QLED TV Review: Who Needs OLED?
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/samsing-q9fn-qled-tv,review-6002.html
Who needs OLED huh? Yeah I get that. I sure don't need it. I never ever want to cope with image retention again. Plus the black levels on the Sammy definitely are near OLED levels if not on par with it. Reasons I went with Q9FN are, price difference was too big, it doesn't nearly get as bright as my previous Sony 930e, let alone Q9FN and the image retention and eventual risk of burn in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just an update on my issue. Apparently the exchange request for my 3rd unit went in on Nov 14 but still no reply. The person at the office of the president no longer answers my emails. About 2 weeks ago I asked what the status was and was told the exchange is still being processed. As it's now been almost 4 months since I ordered the tv and I can't get one that isn't defective I emailed asking for a refund and now I'm not getting any answers to my emails. I'm starting to think Samsung will leave me with this defective unit with serious light clouding issues after I had a perfect TV that just had a defect on the bottom border. Sigh.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I see some judder in some shows, not sure if it's the show's doing or the TV, but what are good auto motion plus settings that don't introduce artifacts and don't make it look fake?
There are none. I see artififacts on pretty much every setting of automotion plus, and increasing the sharpness introduces flickering. I'd leave everything off, honestly.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Automotion off seems to be the best.

I've said it before in this thread. I love the look of it, but it has a constant stutter that I see everytime. If Samsung fixed it, I'd have it on 100% of the time.

It happens when a scence changes or a new movement is introduced. It's like the algorithm Samsung is using to identify moving objects is too slow, and it fails to apply the interpolation without dropping a frame or two.

7381 - 7400 of 11232 Posts