AVS Forum banner

10821 - 10840 of 11232 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Bought my 65 inch Q9fn in May last year. Calibrated to the settings I've found here and Rtings. Great picture quality for SD. When in HD, whether video or video games, noticeable clouding and blooming. Normally have TV in "movie" mode. Had the screen replaced by Samsung, which solved issue some, but still present when subtitles on screen, or light object on a dark background. Some shows (The Crown) and video games (Jedi Fallen Order) look like everything takes place in a smokey room.

I have read so many posts from owners (on this site and others) about this, but it is hard to find reviews that mention it. Also, never saw this when viewed TV in store. How is it that reviews and in-store demos don't have this issue, but after purchasing, so many have the issue at home?

Also, anyone who has found a decent solution that makes HD watchable with clouding and blooming reduced, would be much appreciated. Right now, plan to ride out TV for another year or so, and purchase a different model - possibly another brand - altogether.

Thank you in advance.
Do you have contrast enhancer on

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
I have read so many posts from owners (on this site and others) about this, but it is hard to find reviews that mention it. Also, never saw this when viewed TV in store. How is it that reviews and in-store demos don't have this issue, but after purchasing, so many have the issue at home?
Because the stores set the Picture Mode to Natural and changed little else if anything while you have changed many settings that in combination have had who knows what effect.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Also, anyone who has found a decent solution that makes HD watchable with clouding and blooming reduced, would be much appreciated. Right now, plan to ride out TV for another year or so, and purchase a different model - possibly another brand - altogether.
I don't see any blooming or clouding with my 65Q9FN, except in game mode. This TV is known for its crazy 20 000/1 contrast ratio, did you put local dimming to high ? Or maybe it's related to your replaced panel.

(I admit with the 2 previous firmwares the black weren't as good as usual -but still great-, and since latest one, crazy blacks are back)

I mean if you don't have black bars like in attached pictures, there is definitely some issues with your TV (you can also see game mode) :

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't see any blooming or clouding with my 65Q9FN, except in game mode. This TV is known for its crazy 20 000/1 contrast ratio, did you put local dimming to high ? Or maybe it's related to your replaced panel.

(I admit with the 2 previous firmwares the black weren't as good as usual -but still great-, and since latest one, crazy blacks are back)

I mean if you don't have black bars like in attached pictures, there is definitely some issues with your TV (you can also see game mode) :
It took a lot of playing around with the menus and watching and reading videos/articles online, but the blooming around subtitles and white or bright objects is finally gone. Took months, but much better. Thank you!

·
Registered
298 Posts
If I purchase a computer which will edit 4K HDR camcorder footage from my Sony camcorder will I be able to transfer the edited footage to a USB stick and then connect this to the TV to see the video in 4K HDR or is it not as simple as that!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The burn in free Samsung - no brainer.
Own both sets (well Q8FN, very similar). Love both sets. Don't have burn in on any set.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Anyone else use the Vudu app? Over the last week, I keep having to login everytime I open the app.
I use it. That hasn't happened to me.
(Side note: I don't understand how Vudu can deliver Atmos (lossy) on the Q9fn, yet Netflix nor Amazon can't seem to. Probably the only thing that bothers me about this otherwise wonderful TV)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
771 Posts
I use it. That hasn't happened to me.
(Side note: I don't understand how Vudu can deliver Atmos (lossy) on the Q9fn, yet Netflix nor Amazon can't seem to. Probably the only thing that bothers me about this otherwise wonderful TV)

Amazon delivers Atmos to the Q9’s app just fine. The problem is Amazon only has Atmos on Jack Ryan and Carnival Row, literally just those two shows and nothing else.

As to why Netflix won’t send Atmos for us I don't know. I’m giving up hope since I found out the 2019 models give Atmos via Netflix.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Amazon delivers Atmos to the Q9’s app just fine. The problem is Amazon only has Atmos on Jack Ryan and Carnival Row, literally just those two shows and nothing else.

As to why Netflix won’t send Atmos for us I don't know. I’m giving up hope since I found out the 2019 models give Atmos via Netflix.
They do?!?!?! Oh geez!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

Even if you set sound out to DD+ in there settings menu

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
26,647 Posts
Why would the Sony TV burn in? It's also an LCD tv.
LCD/LED's can get an image stuck that will not go away but that is super, super, super rare. LCD/LED's can never burn in though as there is no phosphorus to burn.......

·
Registered
596 Posts

Do you have firmware version 1290.4? If so, then thats the issue. It broke game mode, and the blooming/halos in SDR/HDR game mode are absurd....ive never seen this before until the 1290 update. This was not an issue in 1270. I had to take my TV out of game mode and using standard at the moment until (if) they fix it in the next update.

·
Registered
596 Posts
It took a lot of playing around with the menus and watching and reading videos/articles online, but the blooming around subtitles and white or bright objects is finally gone. Took months, but much better. Thank you!
What did you do to fix this?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yo broskis. Just checking in randomly to remind you that you STILL have the most colorful TV with the deepest black levels that Samsung has ever produced - along with the best overall value for build quality and features.

Just was made aware of the 2020 lineup for Samsung. Sounding like all of the 4K TVs got knocked down in overall quality, with the Q90T/Q95T having only 96 dimming zones.

The Q80T has 48, with the Q70T being edge lit (with some dual LED nonsense, but it is still edgelit). If you want max zones, you gotta go 8K. And that supposedly is going to cost a prettier penny.

****ing love my 2018 lineup of Q9FN and Q6FN for the room.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
If you want max zones, you gotta go 8K. And that supposedly is going to cost a prettier penny.
Not really. My Q900 is nothing less than spectacular for cheap from a employer buying program or even holiday sales. 8k was the quantum leap, not 8k 2020 version. I have both Q9FN and the Q900.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not really. My Q900 is nothing less than spectacular for cheap from a employer buying program or even holiday sales. 8k was the quantum leap, not 8k 2020 version. I have both Q9FN and the Q900.
But...the majority of buyers don't have an employer buying program?

And I was talking about local dimming zones on that one. The 2020 models will be restricting the flagship number of around 500 zones to just the 8K models. If you want a flagship experience, it is looking like you are paying a heavy premium due to the 8K designation.

10821 - 10840 of 11232 Posts