AVS Forum banner

10841 - 10860 of 11232 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
But...the majority of buyers don't have an employer buying program?

And I was talking about local dimming zones on that one. The 2020 models will be restricting the flagship number of around 500 zones to just the 8K models. If you want a flagship experience, it is looking like you are paying a heavy premium due to the 8K designation.

Something you don't get about "sale" prices? Especially now before 2020 models.

Talk about "local dimming zones" all you want. The leap from 4k to AI upscaling in 8k was major. The 2020 8k model - no so much from most reports.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Something you don't get about "sale" prices? Especially now before 2020 models.

Talk about "local dimming zones" all you want. The leap from 4k to AI upscaling in 8k was major. The 2020 8k model - no so much from most reports.
O...k? So you are saying you just need to wait for sales to come in before you can buy? So, what, then? We would expect to see 8K prices go below their 4K counterparts?

The answer is, you wouldn't. So then you still have to deal with the fact that the Q90R, for example, is priced about $1,000 less than the Q900R. If you wanted flagship performance in the 2020 models, you need to pay the 8K premium.

Sure, there is a benefit with the AI processing, but c'mon man. They are clearly pushing the consumer into a much higher pricing bracket if they want a quality viewing experience.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
O...k? So you are saying you just need to wait for sales to come in before you can buy? So, what, then? We would expect to see 8K prices go below their 4K counterparts?

The answer is, you wouldn't. So then you still have to deal with the fact that the Q90R, for example, is priced about $1,000 less than the Q900R. If you wanted flagship performance in the 2020 models, you need to pay the 8K premium.

Sure, there is a benefit with the AI processing, but c'mon man. They are clearly pushing the consumer into a much higher pricing bracket if they want a quality viewing experience.
Looks like pricing is your problem, not mine.

1k is pocket change. And one last time - I said you can get the spectacular 2019 8k cheap rather than the marginal "flagship performance in the 2020 models, you need to pay the 8K premium". Not sure why you don't get the 2020 is not much different.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Even if you set sound out to DD+ in there settings menu

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2018 Samsung Q8DN (FN), 1290 fw is capable to deliver Dolby Atmos (although compressed one) through standard ARC to the AVR.
Unfortunately, only Amazon Jack Ryan and only 1st Series worked, check my attachment. I couldn't get Atmos for Carnival Row :-|, only DD+ + DD Surround for this one.
I have Denon X4500H AVR connected to the TV's HDMI 4 (ARC) and "Dolby Digital +" selected as bitstream codec.

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yo broskis. Just checking in randomly to remind you that you STILL have the most colorful TV with the deepest black levels that Samsung has ever produced - along with the best overall value for build quality and features.

Just was made aware of the 2020 lineup for Samsung. Sounding like all of the 4K TVs got knocked down in overall quality, with the Q90T/Q95T having only 96 dimming zones.

The Q80T has 48, with the Q70T being edge lit (with some dual LED nonsense, but it is still edgelit). If you want max zones, you gotta go 8K. And that supposedly is going to cost a prettier penny.

****ing love my 2018 lineup of Q9FN and Q6FN for the room.
Agree, im glad i bought a 2018 QLED instead of the 2019 models, which were also a step down. Only thing is Samsung themselves releasing "updates" which are crippling the older models. Planned obsolescence is real.

Ok, i sound like a tinfoil hat wearing lunatic, but I think theres maybe some truth to it....1290.4 completely broke game mode. So much so that I am using standard mode until they hopefully fix it.

Reactions: crono311

·
Registered
141 Posts
Soon to be owner here, probably by Friday. I'm coming from a Z9F that I'm returning because it has the most dead pixels I've ever seen on a any display. Snagged one of the last 75" for $2500 on B&H, super excited!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Soon to be owner here, probably by Friday. I'm coming from a Z9F that I'm returning becuase it has the most dead pixels I've ever seen on a any display. Snagged one of the last 75" for $2500 on B&H, super excited!
That is a good price for the 75". Good grab!

You will enjoy the substantially better local dimming with regards to haloing.

Oh, and the colors.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Finally, after a short delay I have my 75" Q9FN! I opened the box to inspect for damage and the TV is in perfect shape. However, there is a lot of condensation along the back. What should I do about this? How long do I need to wait for it to disappear, and is there something I could do to speed it up?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Finally, after a short delay I have my 75" Q9FN! I opened the box to inspect for damage and the TV is in perfect shape. However, there is a lot of condensation along the back. What should I do about this? How long do I need to wait for it to disappear, and is there something I could do to speed it up?
What do you mean condensation? You mean like the Kool aid man sweated on it or something? How and why did that happen?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
What do you mean condensation? You mean like the Kool aid man sweated on it or something? How and why did that happen?

I guess it's from being shipped in the cold all the way from New York to KY, (where I live) then being brought into a warm house. I've heard of this happening, but this is the first TV I've had shipped this far in the cold.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
hair dryer.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Finally got around to setting it up today after making sure the TV had come up to room temperature and... it won't turn on. I've tried everything, made sure the one connect cable was secure on both the box and TV and it's just dead, ugh. Now I guess I have to pack it back up, how do I go about this? As you know, the box is held together by those plastic straps, which I cut when I was opening the TV.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Flagship shift. The best tech goes to the 8k models. Makes sense. It will bring down the cost of 4k this year

Brings down the cost in what aspect? The prices for the 4k QLED's are going to be the same as they were last year... while skimping on the feature set as well as dimming zones. That makes as much sense as Samsung saying they no longer support (4k) blu ray disc players because digital is supposed to be the future....... yet they don't do eARC so we cant have the full experience.

·
Registered
771 Posts
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2020/02/16/samsungs-2020-tv-line-up-explained-and-priced/

Our Q9FN? 480 zones. Last years successor the Q90r? 480 zones. This year the Q90t.....120 zones and still no HDMI 2.1? What are they thinking?!?!

Flagship shift. The best tech goes to the 8k models. Makes sense. It will bring down the cost of 4k this year

The shift is happening slower than it did with 4k but it's happening. The second year 4K TVs were out, 2015 models, HD was already delegated to the bargain shoppers, with all the HD models being 60 Hz. I was truly expecting that to happen this year for 4k, but I guess they're going to give it another year before they phase it to "if you want 120 Hz it has to be 8K."

This year it looks like they are doing a bit of a shift; If you compare the 8K Q900R to the Q90R and the Q80R at the stores that have them on display you don't see much of a difference picture quality wise, I would imagine the shift in the 2020 models is to show that difference in-store. With the disparity of tech from the 8K models to the 4K, now you will be able to see a visible difference along with making the 4K models cheaper like Brian_Barros said.

I'm really glad I got my Q9 when I did, it looks like the 2018/2019 models were the peak of 4K technology and I'm not going to be looking to upgrade until hopefully Micro LED is more prominent.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Brings down the cost in what aspect? The prices for the 4k QLED's are going to be the same as they were last year... while skimping on the feature set as well as dimming zones. That makes as much sense as Samsung saying they no longer support (4k) blu ray disc players because digital is supposed to be the future....... yet they don't do eARC so we cant have the full experience.

How do you figure? This year's 4k model is launching at 1k cheaper 2500 vs 3500? Not supporting Blu Ray? You mean they aren't making them anymore. And they aren't updating the models they have out. Doesn't mean you can't use one.

·
Registered
771 Posts

The 2020 models launching at the same current prices as the end of year 2019 models is very much cheaper, the 2020 models still have all year long to decrease just like they did in 2019. And they always start phasing the better tech out of the older gen when the new gen is coming out, read my response to you and Brian above.

·
Registered
771 Posts
That makes as much sense as Samsung saying they no longer support (4k) blu ray disc players because digital is supposed to be the future....... yet they don't do eARC so we cant have the full experience.

Samsung along with Oppo stopped making 4K players because of information like this:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04/dvd-and-blu-ray-sales-nearly-halved-over-five-years-mpaa-report-says/

That report is from almost a year ago, so I'm sure it's worse for physical media sales now. There's no grand conspiracy, the average consumer buys digital and eventually it will be the only way to get our movies. I personally am continuing to buy discs as long as possible, because I know the digital versions are compressed, but I'm in the minority.

I've said it before in this very thread, eARC will offer absolutely no benefit to streaming. The streaming sites are sending us lossy Atmos (Dolby Digital + with an Atmos meta data layer). eARC will not magically change this, the streaming sites just don't have the extra bandwidth to increase it to TrueHD audio.

Edit: I read another report about a year ago, which I can't find now; Of the remaining paltry physical disc sales left, 80% of that is DVD and only 5% is 4K discs. Meaning our grandparents buy discs and everyone else is going digital.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The shift is happening slower than it did with 4k but it's happening. The second year 4K TVs were out, 2015 models, HD was already delegated to the bargain shoppers, with all the HD models being 60 Hz. I was truly expecting that to happen this year for 4k, but I guess they're going to give it another year before they phase it to "if you want 120 Hz it has to be 8K."

This year it looks like they are doing a bit of a shift; If you compare the 8K Q900R to the Q90R and the Q80R at the stores that have them on display you don't see much of a difference picture quality wise, I would imagine the shift in the 2020 models is to show that difference in-store. With the disparity of tech from the 8K models to the 4K, now you will be able to see a visible difference along with making the 4K models cheaper like Brian_Barros said.

I'm really glad I got my Q9 when I did, it looks like the 2018/2019 models were the peak of 4K technology and I'm not going to be looking to upgrade until hopefully Micro LED is more prominent.
Completely agree with what you said. And yes, much like you, very happy to have purchased the Q9fn when it came to be. Only wish they did an eARC update to allow atmos for Netflix or Amazon within the TV apps (although Vudu does it even as lossy). That's what I meant by full digital experience. But that's also why I still collect 4k discs as well..... for the full uncompressed experience.

10841 - 10860 of 11232 Posts