AVS Forum banner

10941 - 10960 of 11235 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did the local dimming improve at all for game mode with the latest firmware?
Sadly no. Game-mode has not changed at all from what I could tell. I still have rather dark picture and local dimming does nothing between low/high setting. But thanks to the improved stuff in non-game-mode, I will just leave it off completely for now (again, unless im playing FPS).

·
Registered
15 Posts
For shooting games etc I use game mode for lower ms. Also, I never use any post-processing stuff, I used to have contrast enhancer in HDR games but since picture gets overblown and colors not accurate, I turned it off (granted its not as bright and less "popping" now, but more accurate), and Game Motion Plus features I only use in PS4 games because its limited to a crappy 30 fps. PS5/Xbox Series X 4k60hz will hopefully be great and we can use Freesync then. Cheers
I will not be using contrast enhancers either, nor will I use motion plus (I prefer my games 30fps).
I'm guessing then that with all the aforementioned features turned off, my games should run with an acceptable input lag outside of game mode.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I still haven't got this TV. Here's hoping that even the game mode would look quite identical to non-game mode!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Ok, so I finally came across a 65Q9FN from a local store in NY, new for 1599. As I mentioned previously, I currently have a 55Q8FN and I am looking to upgrade.

OLED is out because of the burn in, and I game too much. The TV will be used for 70% games, 30% streaming via Nvidia shield TV pro, and 5% cable TV.

Only other current option would be the 65Q90R, but why spend 1000 more when I can get the superior Q9FN?

Here is my question to Q9FN owners. What are your plans for this TV? I am getting the PS5 when it releases, so I am specifically curious about how "future proof" the Q9FN is. The 2019/2020 samsungs are a joke and a step backwards, but I want to make sure that buying a 2018 model in 2020 isnt a dumb thing to do, and I will regret newer features that may be coming (HDMI 2,1?)

Any help/advice would be appreciated. I have had my eye on the Q9FN ever since I bought my Q8FN last year, but I want to make sure I am making the right decision.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ok, so I finally came across a 65Q9FN from a local store in NY, new for 1599. As I mentioned previously, I currently have a 55Q8FN and I am looking to upgrade.

OLED is out because of the burn in, and I game too much. The TV will be used for 70% games, 30% streaming via Nvidia shield TV pro, and 5% cable TV.

Only other current option would be the 65Q90R, but why spend 1000 more when I can get the superior Q9FN?

Here is my question to Q9FN owners. What are your plans for this TV? I am getting the PS5 when it releases, so I am specifically curious about how "future proof" the Q9FN is. The 2019/2020 samsungs are a joke and a step backwards, but I want to make sure that buying a 2018 model in 2020 isnt a dumb thing to do, and I will regret newer features that may be coming (HDMI 2,1?)

Any help/advice would be appreciated. I have had my eye on the Q9FN ever since I bought my Q8FN last year, but I want to make sure I am making the right decision.

Thanks all.
You should look at the 2020 vizio quantum if it's available in your area.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
771 Posts

Thanks all.
You should look at the 2020 vizio quantum if it's available in your area.

I don't know why you're so infatuated with the Vizio Quantum but that TV is OK at best for games, HDCP 2.2 support for only select HDMI ports being one of the primary examples (want HDR mode AND game mode on the same port? Too bad).

I honestly don't know why people feel the need to chime in on an owner's thread about other TVs. We're here to discuss our TV we already purchased, not the alternatives you like (there are other threads for that).

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't know why you're so infatuated with the Vizio Quantum but that TV is OK at best for games, HDCP 2.2 support for only select HDMI ports being one of the primary examples (want HDR mode AND game mode on the same port? Too bad).

I honestly don't know why people feel the need to chime in on an owner's thread about other TVs. We're here to discuss our TV we already purchased, not the alternatives you like (there are other threads for that).
Read saiyanzzrage's post. He asked for alternatives to Samsung tv's . The 2020 vizio looked decent which is why I recommend he looks into them. No need to get offended. Their new tvs also support 120 hz and freesync for gaming. They definitely sound better than what Samsung is offering in 2020.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/5/21049756/vizio-new-4k-tvs-oled-p-series-quantum-x-ces-2020

·
Vendor
26,682 Posts

Thanks all.
Yes OLED get burn in but it is rare and that is a great TV for gaming so the gamers say. Looks like your mind is set, which is fine as this is a great set, buy aQ9FN before they are gone......

·
Registered
240 Posts

Thanks all.
If the only reason you want to hold out for HDMI 2.1 is for the PS5, then it is not worth it to wait, or alter your buying decisions IMO.

The PS5 will be hard pressed to perform any better than 4k 60hz on a good day. That's before we even get in to rumors about potential Ray Tracing capabilities and what that will do to a games performance..

Most high frame rate gaming is probably still going to be limited to 1440p or 1080p on the PS5; which the Q9FN does wonderfully.

If you game on PC, it may be worth it to find an HDMI 2.1 TV. But then, you'd also have to buy a new graphics card. And then hope the existing HDMI 2.1 tvs actually work with 2.1 devices seamlessly right off the bat..(I won't hold my breath).

·
Registered
613 Posts
If the only reason you want to hold out for HDMI 2.1 is for the PS5, then it is not worth it to wait, or alter your buying decisions IMO.

The PS5 will be hard pressed to perform any better than 4k 60hz on a good day. That's before we even get in to rumors about potential Ray Tracing capabilities and what that will do to a games performance..

Most high frame rate gaming is probably still going to be limited to 1440p or 1080p on the PS5; which the Q9FN does wonderfully.

If you game on PC, it may be worth it to find an HDMI 2.1 TV. But then, you'd also have to buy a new graphics card. And then hope the existing HDMI 2.1 tvs actually work with 2.1 devices seamlessly right off the bat..(I won't hold my breath).
ok, you make many great points, thanks for taking the time!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Is the Q9FN capable of displaying 4k 120hz from next gen consoles?
Per RTINGS, no:

1080p @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4 Yes
1080p @ 120 Hz Yes (native support)
1440p @ 60 Hz No
1440p @ 120 Hz Yes (native support)
4k @ 60 Hz Yes
4k @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4 Yes
4k @ 120 Hz No
8k @ 30 Hz or 24 Hz No
8k @ 60 Hz No

·
Registered
563 Posts
Per RTINGS, no:

1440p @ 60 Hz No
4k @ 60 Hz Yes
4k @ 120 Hz No
8k @ 30 Hz or 24 Hz No
8k @ 60 Hz No
No. It can do 1440p at 120 hz.

Shame. It's such a good TV and I'd be forced to upgrade. I wish they'd just let us purchase an upgraded hdmi 2.1 one connect box; that is if the display is itself is capable.

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Per RTINGS, no:

1440p @ 60 Hz No
4k @ 60 Hz Yes
4k @ 120 Hz No
8k @ 30 Hz or 24 Hz No
8k @ 60 Hz No
No. It can do 1440p at 120 hz.

Shame. It's such a good TV and I'd be forced to upgrade. I wish they'd just let us purchase an upgraded hdmi 2.1 one connect box; that is if the display is itself is capable.
I wouldn’t worry about it.... 60fps has existed since 2d platformers and it still isn’t the standard.... there will not be any games doing 4k 120hz that actually push the hardware.... I’m hoping that they make 60 standard.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about it.... 60fps has existed since 2d platformers and it still isn’t the standard.... there will not be any games doing 4k 120hz that actually push the hardware.... I’m hoping that they make 60 standard.
Maybe not push the hardware in a next gen sense, but I'm sure tons of back compat games will run at 4k 120fps. It's even rumored Playground Games is showcasing a demonstration this week behind closed doors of Forza Horizon 4 running at 4k 120fps on XSX.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Read saiyanzzrage's post. He asked for alternatives to Samsung tv's . The 2020 vizio looked decent which is why I recommend he looks into them. No need to get offended. Their new tvs also support 120 hz and freesync for gaming. They definitely sound better than what Samsung is offering in 2020.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/5/21049756/vizio-new-4k-tvs-oled-p-series-quantum-x-ces-2020

He didn't ask for alternatives, he basically asked if buying a 2018 model this close to the 2020 models, and possibly HDMI 2.1, was a bad idea or not. I'm not offended, these comparison posts are just off topic.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah, I think this TV is in the sweet spot for next gen consoles...

I played God of War at [email protected], and it was an amazing display of what this TV can do. I believe the 1080p setting had a lot more detail than the 4k setting, so if I could get that level of detail at a solid 4k/60Hz (or 1440/120Hz) then I'd be thrilled. The anti-aliasing techniques made that game look better than many games I've played at 1440p on my PC. At least from my qualitative perspective.

Doesn't this TV do [email protected] with USB media? Or am I conflating it with the LG offerings in 2018?

I'm curious who will storm the (consumer) gates with MicroLEDs...I'm hoping LG, as I really liked their OLEDs, and am looking to move away from Samsung, next round.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah, I think this TV is in the sweet spot for next gen consoles...

I played God of War at [email protected], and it was an amazing display of what this TV can do. I believe the 1080p setting had a lot more detail than the 4k setting, so if I could get that level of detail at a solid 4k/60Hz (or 1440/120Hz) then I'd be thrilled. The anti-aliasing techniques made that game look better than many games I've played at 1440p on my PC. At least from my qualitative perspective.

Doesn't this TV do [email protected] with USB media? Or am I conflating it with the LG offerings in 2018?

I'm curious who will storm the (consumer) gates with MicroLEDs...I'm hoping LG, as I really liked their OLEDs, and am looking to move away from Samsung, next round.

LG has dialed in OLED, why would they disrupt their product line to go to MicroLED. I think first Microled will be Samsung or some random Chinese company that stole Samsung patents.

10941 - 10960 of 11235 Posts