AVS Forum banner

11001 - 11020 of 11238 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
For what its worth, I've had the 75Q9FN since October 2018, and Game mode has always had worse local dimming performance.

It wasn't nerfed; it just took a while for people to notice.

I should also say, if you are gaming in 1440 or 1080p at 120hz, you really don't need to have the TV in Game mode to get great input lag.

At 60hz, the difference is really noticeable (I think Rtings shows 30ms decrease). At 120hz, the difference in input lag is nearly imperceptible.

Is the local dimming difference between the game-mode and normal mode that noticeable?
If so, how much?

I am really looking into buying this TV, and the main selling point is the local dimming. But if the TV does not utilize it that much in game-mode, then I don´t see it being worth it. However if it at least utilizes 50% of the full potential of the local dimming, that should be quite enough for me to buy it.

An articulated explanation on how the local dimming suffers in game mode compared to normal mode would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Is the local dimming difference between the game-mode and normal mode that noticeable?

If so, how much?

I am really looking into buying this TV, and the main selling point is the local dimming. But if the TV does not utilize it that much in game-mode, then I don´t see it being worth it. However if it at least utilizes 50% of the full potential of the local dimming, that should be quite enough for me to buy it.

An articulated explanation on how the local dimming suffers in game mode compared to normal mode would be much appreciated!
Don't let people and difference of opinion sway you because you have to remember that everyone has their settings to in a differently to their specific liking. Case in point I myself had the Q8FN before I swapped it out for the Q9FN...... But truth be told I thought that game mode on the Q8FN looked better to me at the time, however I love my Q9FN. Because game mode still looks good to me on this set.... as does movies! But I have it set to how I like it. So you will get a fantastic set in the Q9FN.... but just set it to your tastes. Hope you enjoy!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Don't let people and difference of opinion sway you because you have to remember that everyone has their settings to in a differently to their specific liking. Case in point I myself had the Q8FN before I swapped it out for the Q9FN...... But truth be told I thought that game mode on the Q8FN looked better to me at the time, however I love my Q9FN. Because game mode still looks good to me on this set.... as does movies! But I have it set to how I like it. So you will get a fantastic set in the Q9FN.... but just set it to your tastes. Hope you enjoy!

Unless it is a family TV then everyone has to like your settings or just too bad. That is why the Samsung engineer's default settings are a good choice and give a great picture without settings distortions.

Reactions: Damar1979

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow is all I can say. The q9fn is a great looking TV. It's definitely an improvement over the ks8000. Its brighter, sharper, nicer looking blacks, and the color pops more. So very happy with my purchase!
Happy for you!
I am also looking to buy this model. However there have been some word about the latest update causing issues on the Game mode. Not sure if you are going to play games with it, but if you are, would you mind seeing how the local dimming works in Game mode?
Just need to make sure that people how are having issues with it has to do with the settings rather than the firmware update.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Happy for you!

I am also looking to buy this model. However there have been some word about the latest update causing issues on the Game mode. Not sure if you are going to play games with it, but if you are, would you mind seeing how the local dimming works in Game mode?

Just need to make sure that people how are having issues with it has to do with the settings rather than the firmware update.
Had this tv for a year now. The game mode issue must be seen as relative. Yes, game mode local dimming is nowhere near as good as non-game mode. This isn't an update issue, it's been like that since I got the TV. However, the non-game mode dimming is right up there with the top LED tvs in the world.....game mode still looks great relative to the majority of other LED tvs.

My friend has a q7fn and game mode dimming and black levels are way way better on the Q9fn (Q7 is edge lit and it shows compared to Q9). Then take game mode motion smoothing and freesync and this is still a great gaming TV. Do I wish game mode dimming was better? Yes, but compared to other LED tvs this is still a top notch gaming set.

Finally, on the update that allegedly broke HDR brightness that people reported, I got out my nit meter. Game mode brightness is still about where it was before in terms of total nit ouput.....and as before, movie and standard mode go brighter by a fair bit in some scenes prob due to samsungs aggresive (overbright) EOTF tracking. Tested against my friends Q7FN with a nit meter, the Q9FN is brighter in game mode than the Q7FN in any mode and in all types of scenes (Q7 HDR brightness is the same in game mode, movie and standard mode).

The only thing that really annoys me with this set is DSE, which I'm starting to notice more in normal viewing content and not just sports. Generally when gaming though I rarely notice it. This is set specific though so your mileage may vary.

In summary then, given the reduced price of this tv and given the lack of major advancement of newer models, I would still choose this TV today. The only missing gaming feature is HDMI 2.1. If you want 4k 120hz then 2019 Q90r may be better choice. For gaming at 4k 60fps with HDR this is still a very competitive TV. For 60fps games, input lag is much lower so for some games you can get away with playing outside of game mode. Then you get best of eveything outside of a bit more lag. 30fps game feel very laggy outside of game mode though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wow is all I can say. The q9fn is a great looking TV. It's definitely an improvement over the ks8000. Its brighter, sharper, nicer looking blacks, and the color pops more. So very happy with my purchase!
Happy for you!
Thank you.

My son is in college and he took his consoles with him so I have no way to test out game mode.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Question, is anyone else here having issues with VUDU playing in UHD after the latest update? Every time I try it just freezes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had this tv for a year now. The game mode issue must be seen as relative. Yes, game mode local dimming is nowhere near as good as non-game mode. This isn't an update issue, it's been like that since I got the TV. However, the non-game mode dimming is right up there with the top LED tvs in the world.....game mode still looks great relative to the majority of other LED tvs.

My friend has a q7fn and game mode dimming and black levels are way way better on the Q9fn (Q7 is edge lit and it shows compared to Q9). Then take game mode motion smoothing and freesync and this is still a great gaming TV. Do I wish game mode dimming was better? Yes, but compared to other LED tvs this is still a top notch gaming set.

Finally, on the update that allegedly broke HDR brightness that people reported, I got out my nit meter. Game mode brightness is still about where it was before in terms of total nit ouput.....and as before, movie and standard mode go brighter by a fair bit in some scenes prob due to samsungs aggresive (overbright) EOTF tracking. Tested against my friends Q7FN with a nit meter, the Q9FN is brighter in game mode than the Q7FN in any mode and in all types of scenes (Q7 HDR brightness is the same in game mode, movie and standard mode).

The only thing that really annoys me with this set is DSE, which I'm starting to notice more in normal viewing content and not just sports. Generally when gaming though I rarely notice it. This is set specific though so your mileage may vary.

In summary then, given the reduced price of this tv and given the lack of major advancement of newer models, I would still choose this TV today. The only missing gaming feature is HDMI 2.1. If you want 4k 120hz then 2019 Q90r may be better choice. For gaming at 4k 60fps with HDR this is still a very competitive TV. For 60fps games, input lag is much lower so for some games you can get away with playing outside of game mode. Then you get best of eveything outside of a bit more lag. 30fps game feel very laggy outside of game mode though.

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation!

Rtings is stating that with local dimming, the contrast ratio is around 19 000:1, while native contrast is at 6000:1. Now my question is: does game mode utilize local dimming to any degree or is it completely shut off? If it does use local dimming, how is it inferior to the non-game local dimming (are the blacks more elevated or is there simply blooming, or both?)
I would be fine even if the contrast ratio is about half of the non-game mode (at around 10 000:1), but if it cannot reach those numbers for game mode and would only utilize the native contrast of 6000:1, then I would stick with the KS8000 model (which can hit around 7000:1 native contrast).

Sorry to ask, but if it´s not too much of an effort for you, would you be able to send game mode and non-game mode comparison pictures using a dark scene with a few heavily bright parts? This would really give me an excellent indication on the difference.

Cheers and stay safe!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation!

Rtings is stating that with local dimming, the contrast ratio is around 19 000:1, while native contrast is at 6000:1. Now my question is: does game mode utilize local dimming to any degree or is it completely shut off? If it does use local dimming, how is it inferior to the non-game local dimming (are the blacks more elevated or is there simply blooming, or both?)
I would be fine even if the contrast ratio is about half of the non-game mode (at around 10 000:1), but if it cannot reach those numbers for game mode and would only utilize the native contrast of 6000:1, then I would stick with the KS8000 model (which can hit around 7000:1 native contrast).

Sorry to ask, but if it´s not too much of an effort for you, would you be able to send game mode and non-game mode comparison pictures using a dark scene with a few heavily bright parts? This would really give me an excellent indication on the difference.

Cheers and stay safe!

Hi! Local dimming is still working fine in game mode, but it's much less aggressive. This can be good because there is less black crushing but there is more blooming on the other hand. I'm on 1270 firmware.

Personally I don't use game mode. I use movie mode in 2560x1440 x 120hz and 1920x1080 x 120hz resolutions. As long as you feed 120hz, the input lag is almost non existent so you can have superior movie mode, best local dimming and low input lag at the same time. If you can feed this q9fn with 120hz you don't need game mode at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi! Local dimming is still working fine in game mode, but it's much less aggressive. This can be good because there is less black crushing but there is more blooming on the other hand. I'm on 1270 firmware.

Personally I don't use game mode. I use movie mode in 2560x1440 x 120hz and 1920x1080 x 120hz resolutions. As long as you feed 120hz, the input lag is almost non existent so you can have superior movie mode, best local dimming and low input lag at the same time. If you can feed this q9fn with 120hz you don't need game mode at all.

Thanks.
Have you tried updating to 1290 firmware? I have read that it most definitely improved a lot of Q9FN owners´ sets.

Unfortunately the aforementioned refresh rates and resolutions are not an option for me, as I will be plugging my PS4 in it. So in this case it would be 4K x 60hz. According to Rtings, the input lag in this case would be at around 60ms.

If you get the time and are able to, do kindly send a comparison picture of the game mode and non-game mode. This will basically be the only factor to my buying decision.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks.

Have you tried updating to 1290 firmware? I have read that it most definitely improved a lot of Q9FN owners´ sets.

Unfortunately the aforementioned refresh rates and resolutions are not an option for me, as I will be plugging my PS4 in it. So in this case it would be 4K x 60hz. According to Rtings, the input lag in this case would be at around 60ms.

If you get the time and are able to, do kindly send a comparison picture of the game mode and non-game mode. This will basically be the only factor to my buying decision.

Thanks!
I had the ks8000 previously and the Q9 in game mode, despite less aggressive dimming, is far better than the ks8000 for HDR. The q9fn has 480 dimming zones vs the 16 (I think) vertical only zones in ks8000. If you're comparing against the ks8000 then game mode blacks are still way better on Q9.

Also agree with earlier poster re black crush. Game mode blacks aren't as deep but it also brings out more detail in the shadows. 60fps games are still playable outside of game mode as long you're not playing anything competitive. Q9 also has freesync and game mode motion smoothing (which works nicely in 30fps content). As a gamer I love the Q9 and could never go back to my old ks8000. For movies and series, the Q9 is vastly superior to the ks8000.

·
Vendor
26,686 Posts
No question, nice big update for you, congrats !!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well Ive owned the js8500,js9500,b6 oled ,c6 oled , x900e , 930e , ks9000, ks9800, Vizio quantum x , q8fn , q9fn , tcl 6 series , c7 oled , 900f , hisense h9 and that's just over the last few years , I won't list the past 10 years , but point is , I've studied these TV's across various brands and I spend hours on hours using all them , calibration , owning them across the span of several FW updates , the slightest change I can quickly notice , in fact I have had numerous panels replaced noticing issues that technicians were quick to dismiss but pushed for further testing and they found , light bleed , uneven light distribution , alot of these TV's come defective btw. Will you dismiss the panel lottery also ? Or how about the fact that alot of these panels are outsourced and some versions are inferior to the Samsung model panels , you can buy a Samsung q8 and I may get a fa01 that looks excellent but you may get an aa01 and side by side you may think they are different models (I had this happen to me once ) so yeah I don't trust these brands. A newer FW was installed on its own onto my tv even with the option off. There's a backdoor way they can upgrade your tv through smart hub , I'm happy your happy with your model but fact is that there are class action lawsuits against these brands that have been put in place and it's already established that they break our products in order to force upgrades. I can guarantee that if a nit test was performed on our TV's they would be significantly lower than at launch.
Can you confirm that built-in apps on 930e (cable tv, netflix, youtube, video app etc) are using 16-255 limited range and not 0-255 full range ? I noticed a HUGE difference after I enabled pro mode (hotel mode) and enabled "Optimize PC display" which I heard it enables 0-255 full range. This also can be fixed by using an external device and enabling HDMI Enhanced Format.
I get whiter white (more gradations of white), better blacks, brighter grays, less DSE, smoother colors (because of less DSE), way less posterization, less blooming, big increase in sharpness detail (and depth of field). Also I feel that 20 of 50 brightness is much brighter than before, maybe just because light "breathes" easier and it's a smoother white.
And this is across everything, even the menu it's sharper with a whiter white and not a milky white.

Also a new 1294.1 update for Q9FN (and other 2018 models), update is dated 2020-03-24, any difference compared to 1292.3 ?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Can you confirm that built-in apps on 930e (cable tv, netflix, youtube, video app etc) are using 16-255 limited range and not 0-255 full range ? I noticed a HUGE difference after I enabled pro mode (hotel mode) and enabled "Optimize PC display" which I heard it enables 0-255 full range. This also can be fixed by using an external device and enabling HDMI Enhanced Format.
I get whiter white (more gradations of white), better blacks, brighter grays, less DSE, smoother colors (because of less DSE), way less posterization, less blooming, big increase in sharpness detail (and depth of field). Also I feel that 20 of 50 brightness is much brighter than before, maybe just because light "breathes" easier and it's a smoother white.
And this is across everything, even the menu it's sharper with a whiter white and not a milky white.

Also a new 1294.1 update for Q9FN (and other 2018 models), update is dated 2020-03-24, any difference compared to 1292.3 ?
Where did you find 1294 update? Is not on the Samsung site. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm assuming that this is a bug fix update since it came out so soon after the last one. Let's how it doesn't break things further.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

11001 - 11020 of 11238 Posts