AVS Forum banner

11261 - 11280 of 11282 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Was it at least tracking the proper curve for luminance? Not behaving like the above sample I provided?
This is giving me a headache, as I've been sitting with this for a week trying to figure out what to do with this. It's just not really correctable as I see it. I tried some wierd settings before but peak luminance is still only half of yours or the advertised HDR1500 this was sold as.

EDIT: Tried another picture mode other than Movie in HDR.
Dynamic produces a fantastic ~975Nits. But this picture mode can't be adjusted and has a fun cool 10000K Color Temperature with "Standard".
Standard: only ~350nits
Natural: 600nits.
What are your settings? Have you tried the settings I posted for Movie HDR in the settings thread? Your white level nits are way too low. How are you measuring them?

·
Registered
14 Posts
how do i get 10 bit color on my computer? i have rtx 3090 and it only shows 8 bit color obtion
I imagine it will be due to your resolution and refresh rate settings, as the Q9FN only has HDMI 2.0 you may not be able to push it as far as the 3090 can handle. Try dropping down the refresh rate and/or resolution then seeing what other options open up. This is the breakdown of support resolutions from RTINGS, however they didn't test with a HDMI 2.1 device as none were available at the time, so it would be interesting to see if yours match up:

I have an XBOX Series X on pre-order, so I'd be interested to see if the TV supports [email protected] and end up using chroma subsampling, or not support it at all and only allow [email protected] but at 4:4:4

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I imagine it will be due to your resolution and refresh rate settings, as the Q9FN only has HDMI 2.0 you may not be able to push it as far as the 3090 can handle. Try dropping down the refresh rate and/or resolution then seeing what other options open up. This is the breakdown of support resolutions from RTINGS, however they didn't test with a HDMI 2.1 device as none were available at the time, so it would be interesting to see if yours match up:

View attachment 3041178

I have an XBOX Series X on pre-order, so I'd be interested to see if the TV supports [email protected] and end up using chroma subsampling, or not support it at all and only allow [email protected] but at 4:4:4
No 4k 120. Yes to 1440 120

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Samsung is replacing my panel tomorrow, because i have some edge light going on amd brightnes changes when subs display.
Whats the best and quickest way ti test if my panel is good?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I recently realized that running game mode does lower the HDR brightness considerably. It seems to me that game mode affects local dimming, because I can see the same drop in brightness instantly when switching from local dimming high to medium or low without game mode. Regarding the ps5 and xsx I would like to know if it is possible to use freesync without activated game mode, because I can certainly live with higher inputlag, but the way worse HDR would be a deal breaker to me. Freesync on the other hand would be insanely helpful to combat stutter and tearing when dropping below 60 fps in games.

Would appreciate if someone with an AMD GPU could confirm.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I recently realized that running game mode does lower the HDR brightness considerably. It seems to me that game mode affects local dimming, because I can see the same drop in brightness instantly when switching from local dimming high to medium or low without game mode. Regarding the ps5 and xsx I would like to know if it is possible to use freesync without activated game mode, because I can certainly live with higher inputlag, but the way worse HDR would be a deal breaker to me. Freesync on the other hand would be insanely helpful to combat stutter and tearing when dropping below 60 fps in games.

I don't notice a drop in brightness, I still occasionally have to squint when I play Ghosts of Tsushima and game mode is definitely on

·
Registered
566 Posts

Out of curiosity, have you calibrated HDR from the Xbox one x? It has an HDR calibration feature, it's pretty straightforward. HDR gaming looks glorious on this set! Loving the fact that this set STILL holds up! Lol but then again, 480 zones.... not surprising!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't notice a drop in brightness, I still occasionally have to squint when I play Ghosts of Tsushima and game mode is definitely on
Which firmware are you on? From what I've read there was no problem until 1290.Do you notice a drop when switching local dimming to medium or low?

ut of curiosity, have you calibrated HDR from the Xbox one x? It has an HDR calibration feature, it's pretty straightforward. HDR gaming looks glorious on this set! Loving the fact that this set STILL holds up! Lol but then again, 480 zones.... not surprising!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatal
I don't own a xbox one x, but it's not a calibration issue. It's just a massive drop in brightless compared to game mode off although it is set to 50.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have exactly the same. Just local dimming in Game Mode doesn't work. If I leave the Game Mode, the image is automatically brighter and when I change the local dimming from low to high, you can see the difference. In game mode, I can set local diming whatever I want but it has no effect on the displayed image. In my opinion, the difference in brightness is because in the Game mode local diming is programmed to be low or turned off completely (no matter what option we set, whether low, med, high), while outside the game mode, you can set the local diming to high and then the image is much brighter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have exactly the same. Just local dimming in Game Mode doesn't work. If I leave the Game Mode, the image is automatically brighter and when I change the local dimming from low to high, you can see the difference. In game mode, I can set local diming whatever I want but it has no effect on the displayed image. In my opinion, the difference in brightness is because in the Game mode local diming is programmed to be low or turned off completely (no matter what option we set, whether low, med, high), while outside the game mode, you can set the local diming to high and then the image is much brighter.
Yes, exactly. I just did some measurements with my i1Display Pro.

(sustained measurement on 10% window)

game mode off: 1450 nits
game mode off + local dimming medium or low: 450 nits
game mode on: 480 nits
game mode on + local dimming medium or low: 480 nits.

The weird thing is that with game mode on it starts at 2050 nits for 3 or 4 seconds and then goes down rapidly to 480 and stays there.

I've read that it might be possible to downgrade the firmware via their tech support. I hope that works, because as it is now the game mode is useless for HDR imo.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a question on my older q9 the picture on on you tube 4/8 k sample footage is stunning but when on prime netflix picture bad as in washed out no colour like low SD quality is this normal

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I have a question on my older q9 the picture on on you tube 4/8 k sample footage is stunning but when on prime netflix picture bad as in washed out no colour like low SD quality is this normal
Netflix through my Roku Ultra looks fine, but won't look as good as a disc. Also depends on the movie, some are washed out by nature.

11261 - 11280 of 11282 Posts