AVS Forum banner

11441 - 11460 of 11484 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
I highly doubt it, my comment was mostly in jest. Never forget though when Samsung said it was "upgradable"
NEVER forget that! I remember they said that back with the JS9500 back in 2015. Uh huh. Still though, they reached their best TV in the Q9FN series IMO. But yeah, lol forget thoughts of being upgradable

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
I can't tell for certain, but I'm pretty sure the latest firmware (1310) introduced a bad problem. Some sort of nasty chromatic aberration.

I tried to film it:

It's with different sources, ports, cables and picture modes, factory reset also didn't help. It's very apparent, especially on white/grey mixed pictures and constant movement. It doesn't have to be as fast as in the video.

Anything I can do besides hoping for a firmware fix? Unfortunately warranty expired last month. I can try to call samsung and talk with a tech guy, but they weren't helpful at all before.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have the 75" version of this set. I have now connected my Toshiba HD DVD player to the Denon AVR 6300 receiver.
The TV shows no signal having searched.Tried all other HDMI inputs on Denon and Samsung One Box.
Tried my other Samsung TVs with the Denon and the Toshiba works fine.
Any ideas please?

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I can't tell for certain, but I'm pretty sure the latest firmware (1310) introduced a bad problem. Some sort of nasty chromatic aberration.

I tried to film it:

It's with different sources, ports, cables and picture modes, factory reset also didn't help. It's very apparent, especially on white/grey mixed pictures and constant movement. It doesn't have to be as fast as in the video.

Anything I can do besides hoping for a firmware fix? Unfortunately warranty expired last month. I can try to call samsung and talk with a tech guy, but they weren't helpful at all before.
I'm on 1310 and have noticed no such thing in either SDR and HDR. Whatever it is, I don't think it's the firmware.

·
Banned
131 Posts
Samsung claims that the screen supports HDR10 +

the screen does not support SMPTE ST 2086 HDR10
the screen does not support HDR10 Plus on SMPTE ST 2094
there is no marking for the HDR10 Plus

So how Samsung declares HDR10 Plus?
any movie that connects in the HDR10 Plus, looks very bad

·
Registered
71 Posts
d no such thing in either SDR and HDR. Whatever it is, I don't think it's the firmware.
Not exactly sure what it is, but there seem to be a lot of complaints about ghosting or inverse ghosting all over their older and current lineup. Can't see a connection to certain firmware upgrades, but sometimes it seems to trigger stuff like this. Very unfortunate and annoying.

Another question to you since I'm already here. Did you peak brightness in HDR drop a bit after calibration? Mine went from ~1800 to about 1400. Doesn't bother me, just curious if that can be expected behaviour. I also found it weird that the autocal workflow asks you to set the 75% white to 1000 nits, which I didn't do, but that's stuff for the settings thread I guess.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I know it's probably in these threads somewhere but does this model support "Multiview" using a galaxy phone? I want to be able to have the TV and screen cast my phone at the same time

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Not exactly sure what it is, but there seem to be a lot of complaints about ghosting or inverse ghosting all over their older and current lineup. Can't see a connection to certain firmware upgrades, but sometimes it seems to trigger stuff like this. Very unfortunate and annoying.

Another question to you since I'm already here. Did you peak brightness in HDR drop a bit after calibration? Mine went from ~1800 to about 1400. Doesn't bother me, just curious if that can be expected behaviour. I also found it weird that the autocal workflow asks you to set the 75% white to 1000 nits, which I didn't do, but that's stuff for the settings thread I guess.
Frankly this is the first I hear about ghosting here. And yes, the peak brightness will come down some after calibration, but check again later. For me the display has a tendency to keep lowering white luminosity when repeatedly exposed to it, which is often during calibration. I now put on a dark screen when possible during HDR calibration, like a geometry screen, so now I can keep IRE 100 to at least 1750 nits. It's a pain but worth it.

Try this: put on the IRE 100 10% window (which should be used for HDR calibration) and set it to continuously read. I go from 1800 to 900 in less than a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
Samsung Q9FN75, Marantz SR6014, Outlaw 7000x, Motion 60xti LR, Motion 50xti C, Motion SLM-X Surround
215 Posts
Finally wall mounted my 75, I'll update with pics later but I just want to say I want to strangle the engineer that designed the stand, removing those screws while the TV is laying flat is near impossible, had to end up using tweezers and almost that didn't work, removing those tiny screws was the longest and hardest process of the entire wall mounting saga

·
Registered
Samsung Q9FN75, Marantz SR6014, Outlaw 7000x, Motion 60xti LR, Motion 50xti C, Motion SLM-X Surround
215 Posts
Starting watching expanse season 5 and the fald pulsing is pretty terrible, it can’t seem to decide what level to keep at and constantly goes between looking amazing to washed out in the same scene multiple times, their algorithm still needs a lot of work

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Starting watching expanse season 5 and the fald pulsing is pretty terrible, it can’t seem to decide what level to keep at and constantly goes between looking amazing to washed out in the same scene multiple times, their algorithm still needs a lot of work
What source? I watch mainly discs - DVD, Blu-ray and 4KUHD - and occasionally Netflix and have never seen this behavior. I used to get it in my old Pioneer Elite.

·
Registered
215 Posts
What source? I watch mainly discs - DVD, Blu-ray and 4KUHD - and occasionally Netflix and have never seen this behavior. I used to get it in my old Pioneer Elite.
Amazon Prime via Apple TV, the Expanse has a lot of dark space scenes with bright lights and their algorithm just can't seem to handle it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try testing good quality power conditioner.
I recently get Isotek's EVO3 Polaris for my new audio setup and connected my TV set just for the test.
Results are just mind blowing - color saturation, FALD operation, Auto Motion+ and even menu animations.
It's almost like getting a new tv set - I strongly recommend testing it. In my case it proved once again that electrical wiring in my flat is totally screwed.

·
Registered
17,375 Posts

Yes a drop is nits is always expected. Tv reviews always show this too.

82Q90*X4200*55OledC8*Oppo 203/Panasonic 820*Note10+

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has had an issue with a drop in their peak luminance on the 2018 Q9FN?

I noticed some banding and clipping when I was watching a HDR video earlier and thought I would recalibrate it as I hadn't done it in about 4/5 months. When I measured the HDR peak luminance the TV was topping out at 901 nits (or there abouts).

This was quite a drop from when I last calibrated it when it was peaking at about 1700 nits.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea what could be going on?

I've remeasured a couple of times and the reading is pretty consistent.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Mine is up at ~1800 nits unless I keep full-screen brightness for some time then it can go down to ~900 after some time.

11441 - 11460 of 11484 Posts