AVS Forum banner

1821 - 1840 of 11232 Posts

·
Banned
6,246 Posts

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
I didn’t know that TV manufacturers change their panels... how will I know if I have a samsung panel? Got my q9fn March 30th 2018. And the model number is QN65Q9FNA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All the new models of Q9 are Fa samsung panels don't worry...

Reactions: Charles Garcia

·
Registered
201 Posts
Oh thanks. Well I have to take it off the wall if I were to check that. Since I bought it couple of days after release. I might have a samsung panel. Thanks for the info btw.

If you still have the box the tv came in the panel version should be on the same sticker that has the model/serial number on it. Please check that before taking tv off the wall. I know my 2018 q6fn's panel version was on the sticker, it was an AA01.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you still have the box the tv came in the panel version should be on the same sticker that has the model/serial number on it. Please check that before taking tv off the wall. I know my 2018 q6fn's panel version was on the sticker, it was an AA01.

Yeah it’s in the garage. I’ll check it out in the morning thanks!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
No you probably got and older build or before they switched out.. The first run are always Samsung panel 100%. It's business if they can produce it cheaper and lower the price but still get profits.. Just like Black friday they make specific models for that weekend..
Can you please explain why rtings had the opposite conclusion with the sets they tested? In their tests on a different Samsung model the samsung panels were worse in certain tests and they concluded the differences on a high level are minor. Im just trying to understand the science or data behind your conclusions

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/panel-lottery-samsung

·
Banned
441 Posts
1. Can I played via USB TV 4K files on Q9FN ?

2. Can I played via USB TV 4K HDR files Q9FN ?

3. Can I played via USB TV 4K HDR files with HDDTS 7.1 ?
( When connected to an HDMI 2.1 /2.0 receiver? )

4. Samsung said Q9FN will support eARC ?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Right but I got my q9fa a couple weeks ago at Best Buy new and it was a fa03, according to your logic I should have got the aou optics panel but that is not the case here, maybe that is not the norm 😕

It is still totally lame imho.
No you probably got and older build or before they switched out.. The first run are always Samsung panel 100%. It's business if they can produce it cheaper and lower the price but still get profits.. Just like Black friday they make specific models for that weekend..
No, the build date on the fa03 was 1/2018 and the build date on the aa02 I had was 3/2017 which was when the tv originally launched.

It is highly possible aa01 and aa02 are floaty around right now for the q9fn. I would recommend checking what panel one gets with the q9fn to make sure your getting a samsung panel as I have seen first hand that their first run of high end models can still have non samsung panels in them.

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
No, the build date on the fa03 was 1/2018 and the build date on the aa02 I had was 3/2017 which was when the tv originally launched.

It is highly possible aa01 and aa02 are floaty around right now for the q9fn. I would recommend checking what panel one gets with the q9fn to make sure your getting a samsung panel as I have seen first hand that their first run of high end models can still have non samsung panels in them.
First run on flagship samsung always have samsung panels.. Been this way for years. after maybe 5 mths or so is when you start to see other panels... Judging by your build dates looks like they starting using both in the end run. Samsung also provides LCD panels for Sony unsure if they will again this year but been that way for last few years. I am 99% sure all will be samsung made right now on Q9 and most likely Q8 too.

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
Can you please explain why rtings had the opposite conclusion with the sets they tested? In their tests on a different Samsung model the samsung panels were worse in certain tests and they concluded the differences on a high level are minor. Im just trying to understand the science or data behind your conclusions

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/panel-lottery-samsung
In 2016 the Au panel was brighter and better than the samsung made panel. That was a strange one as Samsung panel was always better.. Sharp was use because they did not make 50 or 60 inch panels.. The sharp panel also was very good too by owners accounts. No science behind it but the data complied from owners over the years point to Samsung panel being better. From my own experinces the samsung panels had better off axis viewing and colors I also found the image more pleasing.. 2016 though AU hit it out the park with the panels they made. I dunno if advancements came for LCD panels after Samsung made it's own in 2016. This is the data I have.. Personally I would want a Samsung panel especially in a change over year in LCD panel Tech from Samsung.

·
Registered
533 Posts

First run on flagship samsung always have samsung panels.. Been this way for years. after maybe 5 mths or so is when you start to see other panels... I am 99% sure all will be samsung made right now on Q9 and most likely Q8 too.
When did the q9fa come out? The aa02 was march 2017 which I thought was right around when the tv launched. In the past what you are saying is correct but I don’t think it applies anymore from what I have seen. Let’s see what panels everyone else has right now to see if it still holds true.

·
Banned
6,246 Posts

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
When did the q9fa come out? The aa02 was march 2017 which I thought was right around when the tv launched. In the past what you are saying is correct but I don’t think it applies anymore from what I have seen. Let’s see what panels everyone else has right now to see if it still holds true.
I have been tracking this and thus far everyone on the forums has a Samsung panel on Q9.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Has anyone tried to manually calibrate one of these sets yet?

Because i don't see any posts about calibration, i'm guessing not.

Reactions: chunon

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Hello,
I had the magnolia guy give me a little inside scoop. He saw me looking at the Q9 and said he could give me the Z9 at less than half off of retail for display model. This is for the 75 inch. For those who have owned both, is the Q9 worth it? I mean the I’m very tempted, but the Q9 is the latest but way over my budget so I’d have to wait until Black Friday or something like that. I was also hoping the it would support Dolby Vision. I’m still doing research. I think Oled is not for me so I’m down to Sony LED or Samsung.

Modernwize says the Q9FN is in fact better than the Z9D in almost every respect. Tho I don't think you could go wrong with the Z9 at half price for now. The Z9 still has a lot going for it.
If you have the patience to watch a long video stream from Modernwize you will find his impressions on the Q9FN and the Z9D near the end. But it's loaded with lots of good info on the Q9 vs. Oled.
My Magnolia offered me the 75" Z9D for less than half price and I almost took it. However it had been on display for over 1 year. Even with a 4 year warranty I was leery but it was still a great deal. I ended up going with the 75" Q9FN. So I really hope it is a better display.

·
Vendor
26,637 Posts
So after hearing some reports of stick pixels, decided to examine my 75 inch panel up close. And I have about 4-5 stuck pixels, light blue, pink, and magenta color. Wish I hadn't of looked, will be exchanging this week, for $6500, at least for me I am expecting a perfect panel. Tried massaging, no luck. Will try another panel but a part of me really wants to experience the 85 X900F, though I don't think it will come close to this set.
Well you learned a lesson right? Don't look at the next one as I see you noted you wanted a perfect panel but they do not exist at any price. XBR-85X900F being close to the 75QFN, its 28% bigger....lol ;) Cheaper....and if it does the job you are looking for you may be all set.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Modernwize says the Q9FN is in fact better than the Z9D in almost every respect. Tho I don't think you could go wrong with the Z9 at half price for now. The Z9 still has a lot going for it.
If you have the patience to watch a long video stream from Modernwize you will find his impressions on the Q9FN and the Z9D near the end. But it's loaded with lots of good info on the Q9 vs. Oled.
My Magnolia offered me the 75" Z9D for less than half price and I almost took it. However it had been on display for over 1 year. Even with a 4 year warranty I was leery but it was still a great deal. I ended up going with the Q9D. So I really hope it is a better display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5_JEDSkkM
And @ril850; if it’s a Magnolia Design Center those guys make commission so I always take what they say with a grain of salt. Commission percentage is low, which is why the actual price of the TV doesn’t matter to them. What they actually push is which TV gives the best SPIFF, basically a kickback for selling the TV. So hypothetically the Samsung could be something like a $100 spiff but the Sony could be a $300 spiff.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Try YUV4:4:4 and switch the tv into PC mode..
Thanks man, I'll try it in a little bit. I never had this issue on my Sony Z9D. I think it's because of Sony's smooth gradation feature. If that's the case, than that's an extremely killer feature that the Sony has over the Samsung. I have never noticed color banding ever when playing video games on my Z9D.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Hello,
I had the magnolia guy give me a little inside scoop. He saw me looking at the Q9 and said he could give me the Z9 at less than half off of retail for display model. This is for the 75 inch. For those who have owned both, is the Q9 worth it? I mean the I’m very tempted, but the Q9 is the latest but way over my budget so I’d have to wait until Black Friday or something like that. I was also hoping the it would support Dolby Vision. I’m still doing research. I think Oled is not for me so I’m down to Sony LED or Samsung.

As good as the q9 is, it can't compete with the value of a $2500-$2900 75' Z9

1821 - 1840 of 11232 Posts