AVS Forum banner

601 - 620 of 658 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
I would say yes. This tv hasn't looked better!

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
ok cool, thanks, ill give it a shot then. Saw some chatter on the Q8FN forum that it has issues with dimming, brightness and colors?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-...rs-thread-no-price-talk-109.html#post58911480

"Firmware 1290.4 is garbage. Brightness has decreased and Local Dimming in Game Mode is now terrible. Not to mention all the issues noted above when used with a PC connected.

Colors don't *pop* nearly as much as before.
When gaming, I have to set the backlight to 45-50 (max) to get the same brightness that I had with it previously set to 30 earlier today. HDR gaming is noticably darker now too.

This is f***ing joke Samsung!"

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
So what is the general consensus of 1290.4? Does it seem like a good update PQ wise?
Looks great to me both calibrated SDR and adjusted HDR.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
ok cool, thanks, ill give it a shot then. Saw some chatter on the Q8FN forum that it has issues with dimming, brightness and colors?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-...rs-thread-no-price-talk-109.html#post58911480

"Firmware 1290.4 is garbage. Brightness has decreased and Local Dimming in Game Mode is now terrible. Not to mention all the issues noted above when used with a PC connected.

Colors don't *pop* nearly as much as before.

When gaming, I have to set the backlight to 45-50 (max) to get the same brightness that I had with it previously set to 30 earlier today. HDR gaming is noticably darker now too.

This is f***ing joke Samsung!"
I'm using another dudes calibration for sdr. Every update things change. You need to readjust the settings

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ghosting samsung q9fn, help

Hello.

Excuse me for my poor English (I am French.), but I would like some advice regarding my tv samsung q9fn 55, I find no answers.

My tv has an atrocious base ghosting in game mode, game motion more disabled (I specify), if I activate it is reduced but there are traces, how do you explain that?

game in 60 hz...

is my tv defective? Samsung does not want to know anything ... thanks in advance.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The Q9 should work with auto low latency mode on an AV receiver, right?

I have a new Denon x2600 with the ALLM function, and the Xbox is connected to it. However, when I select that input it doesn’t allow me to set game mode to ‘auto’ on the tv.

Works ok if I go direct to tv, but then lose Atmos sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
433 Posts
Watching the German edition of Under The Skin (it has almost twice the bit rate of the US release) there are definitely some improvements in PQ and dimming with 1290.4. The blacks are nicely controlled. Also better color tracking across the saturation levels. This I noticed after my best SDR calibration, though as I previously mentioned my base backlight for 300 nit white went from 38 to 43 with same contrast at 28.

Under The Skin is an excellent trial because it has just about every combination of background and element brightness levels you could think of, from mild to extreme, as well as motion. OK, Scarlett Johansonn doesn't hurt ... Is it weird? Oh yeah ... Fringe weird.

Thanks for those settings!

I found after testing them they even helped out the 55" Q8DN to show better colours with the 1290.4 update. Got better greyscale and colour representation with them. At least more eye settling than any others I've tried. Not 100% but better than stock or others specific to the Model on the rtings site and such around suggested.

Though I have to ask about the low contrast setting it uses. You really dim down the panel as such and need to raise the backlight to compensate. I found a higher contrast works just as good and you can keep a lower Backlight instead. Gives more contrast. Almost too much contrast to be honest.

I noticed some pink white highlights this way but only in particular backlight conditions with the local dimming trying to highlight a area on dark scene otherwise. Full bright scene showed no issues. The lower contrast would eliminate all issues but I found the black level to suffer too much with increased backlight for dark room viewing.

I have a question of the gamma range this is targeting so I know which settings to use in software. In windows I see the gamma be not close to 2.2 tracking at all at the moment but that's not related to your settings, just what my Panel wants to push with my PC input. as setup at the moment. Haven't found a way to fix it unless doing my own calibration or changing some settings on my PC side.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Thanks for those settings!

I found after testing them they even helped out the 55" Q8DN to show better colours with the 1290.4 update. Got better greyscale and colour representation with them. At least more eye settling than any others I've tried. Not 100% but better than stock or others specific to the Model on the rtings site and such around suggested.

Though I have to ask about the low contrast setting it uses. You really dim down the panel as such and need to raise the backlight to compensate. I found a higher contrast works just as good and you can keep a lower Backlight instead. Gives more contrast. Almost too much contrast to be honest.

I noticed some pink white highlights this way but only in particular backlight conditions with the local dimming trying to highlight a area on dark scene otherwise. Full bright scene showed no issues. The lower contrast would eliminate all issues but I found the black level to suffer too much with increased backlight for dark room viewing.

I have a question of the gamma range this is targeting so I know which settings to use in software. In windows I see the gamma be not close to 2.2 tracking at all at the moment but that's not related to your settings, just what my Panel wants to push with my PC input. as setup at the moment. Haven't found a way to fix it unless doing my own calibration or changing some settings on my PC side.
Gamma is in the image I posted. At least with my panel in Movie mode (I never use PC mode) I found no loss of black level with the higher backlight and it got rid of the occasional pinkish cast, hence my choice. But as always it can vary from panel to panel so it's good to experiment.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Gamma is in the image I posted. At least with my panel in Movie mode (I never use PC mode) I found no loss of black level with the higher backlight and it got rid of the occasional pinkish cast, hence my choice. But as always it can vary from panel to panel so it's good to experiment.

I use Movie Mode with PC. PC Mode is broken at the moment for Video refresh rates so I have to use another mode than PC. [1290.4 firmware]

Game Console as source selected, gives you the capabilities off all options available to calibrate. They are needed as gamma is way off here with this current source selection versus PC.
But there are more options that outweigh the issues.

I kinda tuned it in better had to use different gamma and brightness setting to fix it better on my set but it could be better. Your calibration is way better than none or any other found settings yet for Movie mode when using PC sending a "video resolution".

Isn't the 20point adjustment used to correct gamma? Am I making a mistake with regard to that?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I use Movie Mode with PC. PC Mode is broken at the moment for Video refresh rates so I have to use another mode than PC. [1290.4 firmware]

Game Console as source selected, gives you the capabilities off all options available to calibrate. They are needed as gamma is way off here with this current source selection versus PC.
But there are more options that outweigh the issues.

I kinda tuned it in better had to use different gamma and brightness setting to fix it better on my set but it could be better. Your calibration is way better than none or any other found settings yet for Movie mode when using PC sending a "video resolution".

Isn't the 20point adjustment used to correct gamma? Am I making a mistake with regard to that?
I can see how that would easily require some different settings than my blu player source :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
The Q9 should work with auto low latency mode on an AV receiver, right?

I have a new Denon x2600 with the ALLM function, and the Xbox is connected to it. However, when I select that input it doesn’t allow me to set game mode to ‘auto’ on the tv.

Works ok if I go direct to tv, but then lose Atmos sound.

This is really odd - managed to get it working randomly yesterday. Changed the main av to tv hdmi cable earlier, and not working now.

Deep colour is enabled for the av receiver input on the tv. When I enable that, the Xbox allows selecting auto low latency mode in the display settings, which is ticked.

But the tv will not go into game mode automatically.... very frustrating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
65" Q9FN Sound Settings

Hi all,

Can any one share default sound settings under service menu?
As you may know, service menu is reach via standard full remote control sequential button press: Info->Home->Mute->Power button.

Control->Sound
Please do not miss sub section under woofer volume which is only appears after you get in it.

Thank you very much

·
Registered
793 Posts
I will say the non-game modes do seem to look a bit better on 1290.4, but if you game at all, DO NOT update. Game mode is broken/nerfed. It is much, much dimmer than last update, colors look muted, and local dimming is broken. I have not seen blooming like this ever since owning this tv.

HDR game mode looks like it was hit the worst in terms of brightness, while SDR dimming is worse than HDR game mode.

I am not sure how they could have released this update with game mode in this state, unless planned obsolescence is real. I am now using standard mode for gaming...havent noticed the much input lag.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I was hoping someone could give me a definitive answer on this.

I have been searching and keep getting conflicting answers. For console game systems, what is the correct setting we should be using or RGB range? Is it FULL or LIMITED? I have a nintendo switch and a ps4 pro and I cant tell what i am supposed to be using. The only thing I read that does make sense is that whatever value you set on the system, the TV needs to match (HDMI black level). So if you pick full, the HDMI black level needs to be set to normal, and if you pick limited, the HDMI black level needs to be set to low.

Anyone have an answer?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Setting Black Level

Should be very simple using various Brightness patterns for various calibration/evaluation disks for both SDR/HDR. In general, the idea is to turn brightness upuntil Level 16 (SDR) bar shows and then down 1 so that it disappears, At this point level 17 should be faintly visible and you are good to go. Same applies for HDR (64 nits).

Except that on the Q9FN, levels 0-16 never show no matter how much one turns Brightness up. So next best thing is turn brightness down until bar 17 disappears and then up again.

This has always niggled me with the lingering suspicion that my black level (effectively at default 0) was not quite perfect. I experimented with -1/+1 when watching real stuff, sometimes preferring one or the other but never quite knowing if that was what it should be.

Then had a thought - maybe Samsung hard clip in Standard & Movie mode cuz its video material so < 16 should not ever show. So, switched to PC mode and, bingo, levels 0-15 show up with increased Brightness. So i set my black level using the preferred method 1 and then switched back to Movie

Long story short, Brightness level of 0 (the default) is the correct setting for both SDR/HDR and i can sleep easier now :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks great to me both calibrated SDR and adjusted HDR.
Hello again AnotherDude. I just wanted to say thank you again for your awesome settings you've posted here. I've used your calibration for 3 patch updates now and im always happy with it, especially since the last update 1290.4 I now have the best picture I've ever had on this TV I think. The only tweak i've made is increased the backlight to max because of my room, and Constrast just a little bit, but the rest is same as yours.

Now, since ive seen that you've posted here about your HDR settings, might I ask if you could share what you use? Mine is almost untouched and I've used constrast enhancer for awhile to get that extra pop but I've started to think I shouldnt use it anymore because despite the the screen being brighter I noticed that my colors become less saturated and abit off. I guess its hard to calibrate HDR like SDR but since i've been so happy with your settings on every update maybe I will like the result of copying your HDR settings as well!

I would much appreciate it. I hope you will continue to post your calibration in case a future update hits. Cheers! :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hey all, a buddy of mine messed his q9fn up by going into the service menu and ran an HDMI calibration, and now all of his white/black levels are screwed (yeah i know)

As I have a q8fn, would it be possible to get the default values he is looking for? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Hello again AnotherDude. I just wanted to say thank you again for your awesome settings you've posted here. I've used your calibration for 3 patch updates now and im always happy with it, especially since the last update 1290.4 I now have the best picture I've ever had on this TV I think. The only tweak i've made is increased the backlight to max because of my room, and Constrast just a little bit, but the rest is same as yours.

Now, since ive seen that you've posted here about your HDR settings, might I ask if you could share what you use? Mine is almost untouched and I've used constrast enhancer for awhile to get that extra pop but I've started to think I shouldnt use it anymore because despite the the screen being brighter I noticed that my colors become less saturated and abit off. I guess its hard to calibrate HDR like SDR but since i've been so happy with your settings on every update maybe I will like the result of copying your HDR settings as well!

I would much appreciate it. I hope you will continue to post your calibration in case a future update hits. Cheers! :)
HDR has been tricky to calibrate. I basically use Backlight 50, Brightness 1, Contrast 43, Temperature Warm 2, Dimming High and no enhancement features.

·
Registered
28 Posts
HDR has been tricky to calibrate. I basically use Backlight 50, Brightness 1, Contrast 43, Temperature Warm 2, Dimming High and no enhancement features.

Thank you for your reply!

Good to know I should skip the Enhanced contrast, it got brighter but at the expense of color so I will leave it off now.

How come you use lower contrast for HDR, does it impact the white to pinkish like in SDR? Could you eloborate as to why lower contrast but brightness +1 ? I have used my brightness at -1 at times to lower the "washed out" effect brightness gives. I know its personal preference of course but I would just like to hear from someone more experienced why your think lowered contrast and brightness to +1 is better than say contrast 50 and brightness 0 ?

What about your Gamma setting, is it left at +0 ? What about your color and tint is that left 0 as well?

Sorry for all the questions, I have no idea what HDR is supposed to look like as im very new to it. It seems to be oversaturated at times but I suppose thats intended to get deeper/better colors.

Thanks again!

601 - 620 of 658 Posts