AVS Forum banner

621 - 640 of 658 Posts

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Thank you for your reply!

Good to know I should skip the Enhanced contrast, it got brighter but at the expense of color so I will leave it off now.

How come you use lower contrast for HDR, does it impact the white to pinkish like in SDR? Could you eloborate as to why lower contrast but brightness +1 ? I have used my brightness at -1 at times to lower the "washed out" effect brightness gives. I know its personal preference of course but I would just like to hear from someone more experienced why your think lowered contrast and brightness to +1 is better than say contrast 50 and brightness 0 ?

What about your Gamma setting, is it left at +0 ? What about your color and tint is that left 0 as well?

Sorry for all the questions, I have no idea what HDR is supposed to look like as im very new to it. It seems to be oversaturated at times but I suppose thats intended to get deeper/better colors.

Thanks again!
Brightness 1 helps minimize black crush and helps shadow detail. Contrast 43 keeps bright highlights from overblowing. Anything not mentioned is kept at default. Again, these might be affected by some content more than others, and of course every display has their particular behavior, even same models.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Anyone notice that Digital Clean View does not work anymore? I was just watching Star Trek TNG on Amazon last night and the film grain noise was intense. Digital Clean View does nothing. It's broken. I remember FW 1202 had excellent film grain mitigation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anyone notice that Digital Clean View does not work anymore? I was just watching Star Trek TNG on Amazon last night and the film grain noise was intense. Digital Clean View does nothing. It's broken. I remember FW 1202 had excellent film grain mitigation.

Does it not depent on what material you are watching? I just tried to check it out on some various videos but it is indeed very hard to notice any difference. I seem to remember it worked before too, especially on old TV shows. Have you tried all 3 settings? Not sure what Auto means really, is it supposed to automatically turn itself on when TV deems it is needed? Off and Low didnt give me any clear difference in this last try anyhow.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
@AnotherDude

Do you plan on releasing new calibration for the ver 1292.1 firmware?

·
Registered
2,802 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'm waiting for it to come out for the US models :).
The US FW version is 1292.1. From what I saw of the release notes, it was just fixing an issue with HDD space and updates

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
The US FW version is 1292.1. From what I saw of the release notes, it was just fixing an issue with HDD space and updates
I'm waiting for the next noticeable change to do a calibration. It is a pain, you know :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'm waiting for the next noticeable change to do a calibration. It is a pain, you know :)
Right, and this one doesnt seem to warrant one :p

·
Registered
Samsung Q9FN75, Marantz NR1609, Polk RTI LCR and Surrounds
169 Posts
Now that I have more free time I have been messing with my settings, I have every source using Movie Mode and no matter what I do Brightness 0 always looks slightly washed out, so I settled on -1. Everything else is Backlight 50, Contrast 50, dimming High, Warm 2, Gamma 0, every other setting off

·
Registered
30 Posts
After two years on the market, is there any common ground regarding which basic settings to use in gaming mode (SDR and HDR)? Especially HDR seems to be tricky on my device as shadow details seem to get lost.

·
Registered
427 Posts
After two years on the market, is there any common ground regarding which basic settings to use in gaming mode (SDR and HDR)? Especially HDR seems to be tricky on my device as shadow details seem to get lost.

These models handle RGB & YCbCr signals differently. If you can compare changing source signal. RGB is more bright while YCbCr is more dark.

The difference is a 2-3 setting Brightness difference. I always enjoyed YCbCr with Brightness 0 but it can be a little dark. If you want you can send a RGB and use Brightness -2 for similar but still more "light" setting.

Gamma is different so any calibration will get out of whack if you have one.

For Movie accuracy I think sending YCbCr 4:4:4 gets you best image quality but PC/Games might like RGB better for lifted black levels.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Wow, nothing here for three months! So here's my calibrated settings for FW 1300.4 ... I really like the new results. Remember these are optimized for my specific panel. Your mileage may vary :).
New Picture (2).jpg

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Thanks for sharing. You don't happen to have updated values for HDR content in movie and game mode by any chance? Especially the HDR game mode is still giving me trouble.
Unfortunately I don't game. For movie mode I use a Samsung-specific 3-level CMS mode you can't set through the menu - it just seems to use the last CMS setting entered through the menu.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, nothing here for three months! So here's my calibrated settings for FW 1300.4 ... I really like the new results. Remember these are optimized for my specific panel. Your mileage may vary :).
View attachment 3032004
Once again thank you for this great calibration. And even though i've been very pleased with your previous settings over the year, this one is probably the best one yet! Now my SDR content are near perfect ! The only change I made was raise the backlight way up. It seems that with every new calibration you do you lower the backlight and contrast, how come? I remember you had set backlight 43 and contrast 28 on the last calibration I have, now its down to backlight 25 and contrast 25. Did the latest updates make the image brighter or was it rather a personal change of preference?

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Once again thank you for this great calibration. And even though i've been very pleased with your previous settings over the year, this one is probably the best one yet! Now my SDR content are near perfect ! The only change I made was raise the backlight way up. It seems that with every new calibration you do you lower the backlight and contrast, how come? I remember you had set backlight 43 and contrast 28 on the last calibration I have, now its down to backlight 25 and contrast 25. Did the latest updates make the image brighter or was it rather a personal change of preference?
Actually the latest firmware updates have made some changes to the light emission, but I also try different options. I used to have IRE 100 white at 300 nits. I then tried 200, now I'm trying 150. I found some better shadow detail without messing with the default brightness and gamma setting. Once I adjusted my eyeballs I found I didn't really miss the higher intensity (I could say higher brightness but go figure, the Brightness setting controls the black level :rolleyes:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Great to see a new profile & firmware!
Great work AnotherDude sharing your profile! It was better than defaults for sure.

Though I have now just acquired my own i1Display Pro Plus. So will do my own calibration to follow. Just made one yesterday for the old firmware now gonna redo it today again.
I noted it wasn't as accurate as I thought it would be in the end. But that was expected.
We can do a comparison between the Q8DN & Q9FN later for 1300.4 firmware between these.
I'm still learning the stuff but gotten a hang of the most critical things. There are some large differences in the 20point to be said for PC 0-255 targets.

What backlight setting do you pick for your calibration software on these Samsung QLED? White LED, or should something else be used?

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
What backlight setting do you pick for your calibration software on these Samsung QLED? White LED, or should something else be used?
I create my i1Display Pro Plus profile using XYZ.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Ok, so a real correction profile.

My settings ended up being so different, compared on what you had shared.
It's your panel, so who knows. As long as they work for you, that's what matters..

621 - 640 of 658 Posts