AVS Forum banner

641 - 660 of 695 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
It's your panel, so who knows. As long as they work for you, that's what matters..
You have any tips on how to measure and do a calibration for general Broadcast & internal applications on these TV's?

I found someone suggest to use a usb-stick and plug it in to the TV, I tested and I can view the AVSHD709 through it for measurements. Would this be a good way to do it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I need someone's help. I have no calibration software other than some calibration blu ray. Can someone please give me sdr and hdr settings to try out. This tv is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Wow, nothing here for three months! So here's my calibrated settings for FW 1300.4 ... I really like the new results. Remember these are optimized for my specific panel. Your mileage may vary :).
View attachment 3032004
Unfortunately I don't game. For movie mode I use a Samsung-specific 3-level CMS mode you can't set through the menu - it just seems to use the last CMS setting entered through the menu.
If you go back a bit you'll see my calibrated SDR settings for Movie mode for a 150 nits 100 level in a dark room. I use a meter and CalMAN software.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you go back a bit you'll see my calibrated SDR settings for Movie mode for a 150 nits 100 level in a dark room. I use a meter and CalMAN software.

I have basic knowledge of any of this. I tried following your settings but I cannot access that multipoint listed all the way to the right.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I have basic knowledge of any of this. I tried following your settings but I cannot access that multipoint listed all the way to the right.
If you're not using calibration software you can use the TV's settings menu under advanced settings, but they read in 5% steps rather than the actual IRE level shown in the CalMAN image. Just follow them in order.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Where the heck are your HDR calibration settings?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Hmmm ... looks like they're back in Feb. But I'm doing a new calibration as we speak, first SDR then HDR so I'll post a more recent one probably tomorrow or Tuesday.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
OK, here's first SDR then HDR.

Notice that the HDR has three CMS entries for 50%, 75% and 100% saturation. The contrast is at 42 to insure proper handling of bright highlights that would otherwise show pinkish but experiment as you see fit..

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
@AnotherDude I just played around with my i1DisplayPro and noticed that local dimming high bumps up the brightness of 100% white to about 640 nits at 25 backlight compared to I believe 220 nits when using local dimming on low. After measuring gray scale and primary colors I realized that with local dimming on high gamma, luminance and especially the color red was way off. Gray scale delta seems to be fine, just everything is way brighter. There has to be a reason all the pros use local dimming low, but is there anything to counter that? Not sure if it's fine for normal usage and just messing with those test patterns.

My second questions to you: In your opinion, is it worth it to get calman home for samsung (and the needed cables for ~20€ from amazon) instead of HCFR with a i1DisplayPro? I also don't have a hardware TPG which is too expensive, mostly using madVR.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
@AnotherDude I just played around with my and noticed that local dimming high bumps up the brightness of 100% white to about 640 nits at 25 backlight compared to I believe 220 nits when using local dimming on low. After measuring gray scale and primary colors I realized that with local dimming on high gamma, luminance and especially the color red was way off. Gray scale delta seems to be fine, just everything is way brighter. There has to be a reason all the pros use local dimming low, but is there anything to counter that? Not sure if it's fine for normal usage and just messing with those test patterns.

My second questions to you: In your opinion, is it worth it to get calman home for samsung (and the needed cables for ~20€ from amazon) instead of HCFR with a i1DisplayPro? I also don't have a hardware TPG which is too expensive, mostly using madVR.

Thanks!
Well, there's grayscale delta and grayscale delta with luminance error depending on the target 100% IRE. SDR movies are targeted to 100 nits when coded. I've tried 300 and 200 in addition and have settled on 160 for now, as spec'd in my settings for my panel and eyesight (not what it used to be!). But whatever works for you is what matters.

CalMAN would let you calibrate settings without the TV menu (I'm guessing that's how you'd need to do it with HFCR) which I find very disruptive hence the cable so the setting control is from the PC.

I've profiled my i1Display Pro with an i1Pro 2. What are your deltaE readings across the 20 point grayscale with local dimming high after setting the 160 nit calibration? I find it hard to believe they're all fine (whatever that means :) ).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well, there's grayscale delta and grayscale delta with luminance error depending on the target 100% IRE. SDR movies are targeted to 100 nits when coded. I've tried 300 and 200 in addition and have settled on 160 for now, as spec'd in my settings for my panel and eyesight (not what it used to be!). But whatever works for you is what matters.

CalMAN would let you calibrate settings without the TV menu (I'm guessing that's how you'd need to do it with HFCR) which I find very disruptive hence the cable so the setting control is from the PC.

I've profiled my i1Display Pro with an i1Pro 2. What are your deltaE readings across the 20 point grayscale with local dimming high after setting the 160 nit calibration? I find it hard to believe they're all fine (whatever that means :) ).
I'm fairly new to calibrating and don't really know the best practices on how to actually do it. For those picture below I just tried to calibrate the grayscale to show the difference between low and high local dimming. What I also don't understand is why the gamma shows a straight line at 2.4 during calibration, but after running the whole grayscale measurement the first time it suddenly changes to a curve. Also the luminance target is off after running the measurement, but actually better with local dimming high.

Your point with the TV menu is correct. The menu itself actually interfers with the measurement even with the small adjustment menu on the bottom. Probably because of the local dimming, even on low. I switched from using fullscreen testpatterns to windowed so I can put it higher up on the screen. That way there is hardly any difference with or without menu, but still not optimal and way more inconvenient than changing stuff on the pc.

Anyway, here the pictures

After calibration and before running through the grayscale measurement

After grayscale measurement with local dimming set to low

After grayscale measurement with local dimming set to high

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
You have to use the full-screen patterns in dimmimg low for SDR and 10% and dimming high for HDR, otherwise you'll get wrong readings.

·
Registered
63 Posts
maybe im wrong, but when using an Full screen patterns its to bright, but when using 5% patterns the backlight is of when using black and near black.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
maybe im wrong, but when using an Full screen patterns its to bright, but when using 5% patterns the backlight is of when using black and near black.
OK, do what you wish instead of what Samsung and Portrait recommend.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah about portrait, they only do LG's when you watch the youtube movies, i've asked to do an samsung but nop always LG. So i start trying the alternatives for myself. like the RP generator with Teds disk is bit correct.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Here are my settings with FW 1310.4. SDR White is at 180 Nits and HDR White at 1800 Nits. Remember these are for my specific display, as always YMMV. Notice that the HDR has three CMS entries for 50%, 75% and 100% saturation for the Samsung Multi-CMS mode.

SDR @ 180 Nits White
Cal SDR 11-3-20.jpg

HDR @ 1800 Nits White
Cal HDR 11-4-20.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here are my settings with FW 1310.4. SDR White is at 180 Nits and HDR White at 1800 Nits. Remember these are for my specific display, as always YMMV. Notice that the HDR has three CMS entries for 50%, 75% and 100% saturation for the Samsung Multi-CMS mode.

SDR @ 180 Nits White
View attachment 3053107

HDR @ 1800 Nits White
View attachment 3053109

Thank you for sharing your settings :)
I tried your SDR calibration settings on my Q9fn, and it looks really good and natural! :)

But by looking at your HDR calibration settings, i can not adjust those values in my settings.
Do you have any calibration data on White Balance with 20 point settings and Colour Space i can adjust from the TV settings for this firmware ?

641 - 660 of 695 Posts