AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making this thread as the 85" set is a completely different TV than every other size in the series (VA vs IPS) and there seems to be zero information anywhere or reviews(Rtings, Cnet, and everywhere else have been reviewing the 65" IPS version and mixing it in with the 85" which is way off) and Q&A threads keep popping up for the 85", so here we go..

My 85" just showed up today, impressions to follow shortly.........;)

I can tell you, having had both the NU8000 82" and 900F all these TV's are VERY close. I returned the others as this set was $1000 less than the 900F (and better than the NU8000)

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'll be watching this thread since I'm on fence between the 85inch 900f or the 2016 LG 86uh9500 which has 3d still
Or the Samsung q6 which is long shot
Or 77inch LG oled

I'm really liking what I saw out of the 85inch 900f at bestbuy though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes yes yes! A few days ago I started a topic where I asked about experiences with this set compared with the 75X900F. I can't decide which one to get, since the 85X900F is not available where I live. I hope post your findings asap as I want to make my decision this saturday :)

·
Registered
824 Posts
In 85, the 850 is a 900e without local dimming and probably less brightness. for the extra grand, the 900f has better processing(for me the extreme is noticeable), brightness and local dimming. How much it matters to an individual will vary.

·
Vendor
26,676 Posts
I'll be watching this thread since I'm on fence between the 85inch 900f or the 2016 LG 86uh9500 which has 3d still
Or the Samsung q6 which is long shot
Or 77inch LG oled

I'm really liking what I saw out of the 85inch 900f at bestbuy though.
Its pretty much like this as of today.....

77" OLED
85X900F

then everything else......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Today I had an oppertunity to look at the 85X850F again and for the money it's quite remarkable. It's not as bright as the X900F, I would say it sits a little beneath the A8F OLED in terms of brightness and the sparkling highlights. Also the blacks won't go as deep as the X900F with HDR content, but overal it's an impressive image it puts out! Im still very much in doubt which one I should get, the 75X900F or the 85X850F. Why is it so difficult?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Today I had an oppertunity to look at the 85X850F again and for the money it's quite remarkable. It's not as bright as the X900F, I would say it sits a little beneath the A8F OLED in terms of brightness and the sparkling highlights. Also the blacks won't go as deep as the X900F with HDR content, but overal it's an impressive image it puts out! Im still very much in doubt which one I should get, the 75X900F or the 85X850F. Why is it so difficult?
It's not difficult, get the bigger one.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bigger one, not even close :)

The brightness of this TV is definitely there(its the blacks that aren't as good as the 900F and not even close to an OLED). HDR looks great on this set, you can definitely tell when HDR is on or off. The overall image of this TV is pretty fantastic.

·
Vendor
26,676 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
$1k cheaper 900f or the 10" bigger 850f. Your call. The solution might be to spend $800 more and have the best of both with the 85" 900f.

·
Registered
23 Posts
$1k cheaper 900f or the 10" bigger 850f. Your call. The solution might be to spend $800 more and have the best of both with the 85" 900f.
Thanks for rubbin' that in ;-) I would very much love to buy the 85X900F, that would make it so easy! But I can't get the 85X900F where I live, hence the dilemma. It's the 75X900F or the 85X850F.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Making this thread as the 85" set is a completely different TV than every other size in the series (VA vs IPS) and there seems to be zero information anywhere or reviews(Rtings, Cnet, and everywhere else have been reviewing the 65" IPS version and mixing it in with the 85" which is way off) and Q&A threads keep popping up for the 85", so here we go..

My 85" just showed up today, impressions to follow shortly.........;)

I can tell you, having had both the NU8000 82" and 900F all these TV's are VERY close. I returned the others as this set was $1000 less than the 900F (and better than the NU8000)
Where are those impressions? :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe I can share my first impressions of mine 85XF85.
What should I say, at the beginning I was a bit disappointed.

After a few minutes, I recognized that the corners aren't correctly lighted, so the edges are a bit darker than the rest of the display. But when my room went completely dark, I have spotted two flashlights on the display. One in the top right corner and the other on the bottom (see picture #3 ). When I have watched dark scenes, they really disturbed your watching experience. Even my wife could recognize it...

Then I started to tweak the display settings and now, I can barely recognize them anymore. I tried my best to get good pictures to share it with you. The first picture is a bit more detailed, the second one looks like what I see.

Apart from this, the black level isn't the best, but still good. I have watched Thor, Inception and Matrix in 4k and HDR or played PS4, this was really nice and I had nothing to complain. The screen size is awesome, I switched from 63" to this and I don't want to miss it anymore.

Now I'm not sure, if I should return the TV or not. What do you think? (In Europe, I can't get the 85XF90 :( )

My current settings (without HDR):
Profile: Custom
Auto picture mode: off
Light sensor: off

Brightness
Brightness: 10
Contrast: 90
Gamma: Min
Black level: 50
Black adjust: Off
Adv. contrast enhancer: Off

Colour
Colour: 56
Hue: G2
Colour temperature: Expert 1
Adv. colour temperature: Nothing changed
Live Colour: Off

Clarity
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Off
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction: Off
Smooth gradation: Off

Motion
Motionflow: Off
Film mode: Off

Video options
All Auto

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Vielen dank for your impressions. It really makes you wonder how difficult it is to make an evenly backlit LCD TV. The non-uniformity on your panel would drive me crazy. I don't mind missing out on the OLED blacks (it would still be better compared to a projector), as long as a black frame is uniform. It might be just your unlucky model though, so I would try to get it swapped and see how another one will do.

Do you see a big difference in blacklevel when you compare SDR and HDR material with each other? And how do you rate gaming in HDR on the PS4 (Pro)? I will use my PS4 Pro regularly with the likes of Horizon Zero Down and many more HDR enabled titles. Because I have a stomach flu, I haven't been able to order this big sucker yet and after your post I'm considering the 75XF9005 again.

Maybe I can share my first impressions of mine 85XF85.
What should I say, at the beginning I was a bit disappointed.

After a few minutes, I recognized that the corners aren't correctly lighted, so the edges are a bit darker than the rest of the display. But when my room went completely dark, I have spotted two flashlights on the display. One in the top right corner and the other on the bottom (see picture #3 ). When I have watched dark scenes, they really disturbed your watching experience. Even my wife could recognize it...

Then I started to tweak the display settings and now, I can barely recognize them anymore. I tried my best to get good pictures to share it with you. The first picture is a bit more detailed, the second one looks like what I see.

Apart from this, the black level isn't the best, but still good. I have watched Thor, Inception and Matrix in 4k and HDR or played PS4, this was really nice and I had nothing to complain. The screen size is awesome, I switched from 63" to this and I don't want to miss it anymore.

Now I'm not sure, if I should return the TV or not. What do you think? (In Europe, I can't get the 85XF90 /forum/images/smilies/frown.gif )

My current settings (without HDR):
Profile: Custom
Auto picture mode: off
Light sensor: off

Brightness
Brightness: 10
Contrast: 90
Gamma: Min
Black level: 50
Black adjust: Off
Adv. contrast enhancer: Off

Colour
Colour: 56
Hue: G2
Colour temperature: Expert 1
Adv. colour temperature: Nothing changed
Live Colour: Off

Clarity
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Off
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction: Off
Smooth gradation: Off

Motion
Motionflow: Off
Film mode: Off

Video options
All Auto

·
Registered
824 Posts
I suspect what you are seeing is the nature of the beast. With a full array without local dimming on a screen that size, I doubt they get a whole lot better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The 2016 85X850D had a VA panel as well. I wish I could compare these side by side. I own the 85x850D and I like it. The same thing happened in 2016 with this 85", none of the major TV reviewers ever reviewed it and included it with the rest of the series IPS panel reviews.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Finally got this thing mounted. Anyone on the fence about 85" vs 75" should definitely go 85"!!!. The 10" difference is a game changer. Feels nearly double the size of my other 75" Sony.

Using "Cinema Pro" settings at 5% brightness, 21:9 with black bars looks great with little haloing and light bleed (something my XBR75X940D has a ton of during HDR)

Overall
+this set has fantastic black levels and HDR for a big mid line 85" VA panel(3 years ago this set would have probably cost $15k+?)
+Contrast is fantastic (the glossy panel helps a ton) though it still doesn't have the wow factor of an OLED. The blacks on this set just can't get deep enough during HDR to make the bright whites pop like an OLED.
+Even uniformity and no banding (anecdotal obviously)
+4K Blu Ray on this look ****ing amazing, Bright HDR movies like Lucy are absolutely stunning. Like mind melting best picture quality I've seen in a long time good. This particular 4k disc looks better on the 850f than my 65B6 OLED

-Really dark movies like Arrival or The Shape of Water show the TV's weakness. Blacks can look washed out and grey in some scenes. Left and right corners can show brighter and HDR can look almost dull.
-Sloppy UI, why are there two different menus for settings ?!?

While the 900F definitely looks better, having seen both the 900F & 850F I would say its worth saving the $1000(or putting that money into something else in your theater, like I did with a SVS PB16 :p) as these TV's are so damn close. I would go as far to say if you put them right next to each other and got a non AVS home theater snob, on a blind test they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the 900F & 850F... But as someone who is a PQ snob I couldn't be happier, this thing shows a fantastic picture for the money.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts