AVS Forum banner

1381 - 1400 of 2579 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello. I just went through that issue myself. I didn’t buy any extended warranty. The way I rationalize it is that spending so much time in this forum and many other places going over every conceivable detail, I have learned enough about the pitfalls that I consider myself trained on the safe use and enjoyment of this type of technology. The 2018 panels plus Sony’s anti-BI measures probably makes burn in a thing of the past for responsible users.
@rkXLV, @Panteraswift, I ended up compromising and getting the 2 year Geek Squad protection, all the while feeling a little foolish, but also feeling a little less worried. Per the amount of time you get, it's even more expensive than the 5 year, but somehow the total cost of the 2 year plan was more palatable. Of course I wasn't primarily worried about burn-in - I was more thinking about dead pixels and/or other possible problems that could occur, and figured if I got through 2 years with no issues that the TV would be basically sound. That, and it would no longer be the totally shiny new toy that garners so much of my attention. So I'd be less upset if something goes wrong. Plus, in 2 years, I could probably get an equivalent replacement set (not whatever is the greatest at that time), for a lot cheaper. (Just guessing of course).

The main reason I wasn't worried about burn-in is that I enjoy TV at lower brightness levels, and that I generally watch it in a fairly dark room. Indeed the A8F gets *more* than bright enough for me, even with the brightness turned down to 1/2 or 1/3. With some sources I end up boosting the peak brightness setting, but that's about it. Also, after getting the TV, I found that there is a really convenient button on the very lower right of the remote that instantly switches off and on the panel only, with out putting the TV to sleep. So it's super quick and convenient to switch off the panel only, go pop some popcorn, and instantly switch the panel back on when I'm back.

Also, as is written about a lot recently on this forum, Sony does have safeguards built in for burn-in - with the infamous dimming "feature" (or bug, depending on how you look at it). I've almost never seen the dimming issue, probably because I don't watch at high brightness levels. Then there is the timed screen saver...
@rkXLV, would it be practical to perhaps employ some window covering, so you could watch sports at a lower brightness level? I think that would greatly mitigate the risk of burn-in, and I've found anyway, the picture looks fantastic at a lower brightness.

HTH

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hello. I just went through that issue myself. I didn’t buy any extended warranty. The way I rationalize it is that spending so much time in this forum and many other places going over every conceivable detail, I have learned enough about the pitfalls that I consider myself trained on the safe use and enjoyment of this type of technology. The 2018 panels plus Sony’s anti-BI measures probably makes burn in a thing of the past for responsible users.
Thanks for the reply! That is really how I am leaning on it, as well, but I was second guessing whether I had just been missing some assumption that people get a protection plan to cover burn-in. I have read through as much as I could of the general OLED burn-in threads I could find, and those all seem to devolve into suspicion of some posters being anti-OLED shills (maybe some are?) and/or trying to dictate what people should watch on their own TV sets. I do tend to believe concerns like BI are over-hyped and that negative experiences with a product are more likely to be expressed publicly than positive experiences (less likely to go out of one's way to praise than to complain). However, I try not to be stupid with tech purchases that have possible issues like this. I mean, I'm still set on buying the thing, it's just tricky to consider this one aspect of the purchase (and I do tend to be a little over-anxious about details like this :rolleyes:).

·
Registered
118 Posts
@rkXLV, @Panteraswift, I ended up compromising and getting the 2 year Geek Squad protection, all the while feeling a little foolish, but also feeling a little less worried. Per the amount of time you get, it's even more expensive than the 5 year, but somehow the total cost of the 2 year plan was more palatable. Of course I wasn't primarily worried about burn-in - I was more thinking about dead pixels and/or other possible problems that could occur, and figured if I got through 2 years with no issues that the TV would be basically sound. That, and it would no longer be the totally shiny new toy that garners so much of my attention. So I'd be less upset if something goes wrong. Plus, in 2 years, I could probably get an equivalent replacement set (not whatever is the greatest at that time), for a lot cheaper. (Just guessing of course).

The main reason I wasn't worried about burn-in is that I enjoy TV at lower brightness levels, and that I generally watch it in a fairly dark room. Indeed the A8F gets *more* than bright enough for me, even with the brightness turned down to 1/2 or 1/3. With some sources I end up boosting the peak brightness setting, but that's about it. Also, after getting the TV, I found that there is a really convenient button on the very lower right of the remote that instantly switches off and on the panel only, with out putting the TV to sleep. So it's super quick and convenient to switch off the panel only, go pop some popcorn, and instantly switch the panel back on when I'm back.

Also, as is written about a lot recently on this forum, Sony does have safeguards built in for burn-in - with the infamous dimming "feature" (or bug, depending on how you look at it). I've almost never seen the dimming issue, probably because I don't watch at high brightness levels. Then there is the timed screen saver...
@rkXLV, would it be practical to perhaps employ some window covering, so you could watch sports at a lower brightness level? I think that would greatly mitigate the risk of burn-in, and I've found anyway, the picture looks fantastic at a lower brightness.

HTH
That's awesome insight, thank you! Yeah, we actually have been wanting to get some room divider shades for our space, anyway (our living area is a mostly open space with one corner being the "living room" area, and the whole southern wall of the house is floor-to-ceiling windows that we don't want to put actual window treatments on). We have thought about using those to at least shade the TV set if too much direct light is coming in. I do also tend not to like looking at a screen that is super-bright, which is another reason I think OLED with a more controlled and accurate picture appeals to me over a bazillion-nit LDC panel with dimming zones, light bleed, etc. So I am entirely willing to believe a lot of the people who have BI problems are trying to watch the thing brighter than I would prefer, anyway.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I was extremely worried when choosing the af8 after all claims on it being too dark but it ended up going down in price so much that it was hard not to, I had the TV for a 2 weeks or so now and what can I say it impresses me in certain situations not at all times, I was also extremely worried about the input lag as it would be used mainly for gaming, I played through all of red dead redemption 2 and it was just over blown, hdr at times glows where details are completely overblown to the fact they simply glow the roads in the tien Rhodes litterally glew orange like a bright light, this TV has impressed me with media but not gaming at all times now to the input lag worry I played on an Xbox one x and the experience wasn't laggy, I did test though by pushing the shooting trigger it took a split second for it to react it was so bad that I wonder if it's by design it can't be that bad.

Now the c8 has dropped to a similar price so this is where the worry begins, a calibrator told me the af8 is not a darker display but from what I read online it is, would my experience improve on the c8? Image quality is something that's the most important thing to me I always prioritize quality in a dark room over a lit one I always prioritize pure picture quality over subpar upscaled I don't care about anything other than 4k content ,i always prefer bright vibrant colors I kept the black setting to max it improves contrast or something none of these options did anything to the glow I was experiencing though

So my question is is the c8 still better than the af8 I read the dimming issue was fixed did that relate to the brightness issue everyone mentioned? When reading up on these their differences has been a riddle to me everyone says something different I paid so much for this I don't want to worry that I made the wrong choice.
Red Dead Redemption 2 is fake HDR even though the tv thinks it is HDR. There are many YouTube videos about this. The whole gaming community is very upset about this. I don’t play RDR2 but you need to try another HDR game. The A8F is slightly darker in order to preserve highlight detail. The C8 is not as dark but it may, so I understand, have even more blown highlights. I recall seeing YouTube videos comparing the two. You need to check these out. I play Far Cry 5 in HDR and have no dimming issues and it does not appear too dark. But I don’t have a C8 for comparison

·
Vendor
30,279 Posts
Thanks for subbing! I'm amazed still Everytime It turn It on. Sony has the best processing and upscaling. A8F all day over b8 or c8. 🙂
There is no talking a Sony OLED owner into a LG, I can tell ya that ;)

·
Registered
501 Posts
I am happy with it to some degree only time it truly impresses me is on hdr 4k youtube videos in some scenes but what truly impressed me was trailers on Google TV, but I am not sure how much better the c8 is i don't know that, it's not all around great though I tried steaming my tablet z4 to it nothing was sharp it was unusable I keep sharpness level at 0 as it's artificial sharpness but increasing it showed no improvement and it was highly laggy, I absolutely adore my Sony w905a so I was biased to Sony again I had a bad experience with LG in like 2014 with their curved oled burn in etc and I always prefer Sony design over LG, I had no issues inputlag wise though with that TV I used it for a year or more and played a lot of pc games on it I had the input set to game and pc it was the model with the curved stand and the text oled etched in.
-It's my understanding that sharpness on the Sony's (even going back to your Sony w905a and my Sony HX929 model) should be set at 50. 50 on the Sony is the equivalent to other Brands 0 sharpness setting.

-Have you tried using the reality creation settings on the Sony AF8? It's artificial and it adds some lag but it can give the impression of a sharper image.

-I never had the 2014 LG but I currently own the 2015 and 2018 versions (I briefly owned the 2017 LG G7). LG has continued to make overall improvements to their television every year. Burn in is not something I have ever experienced nor is it anything I worry about. I have gamed for 4-8 hours straight on the weekend with HDR games (Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc) with no issues.

Reactions: TravisPNW

·
Registered
80 Posts
About OLED burn-in:
It still happens!
My brother bought a Philips OLED (9002 model or something like that) december 2017.
I checked their settings a few months later, nothing was set out of the ordinary.
Then out of the blue he calls me about a month back saying he is seeing some anomalies on the panel.
After looking into it I could clearly see part of a logo in the anomaly.
The TV had asked to be turned of for a "residual images" removal cycle....They complied to what the tv asked every time, yet this BI was present.
It was the BRIGHT orange part of a television channel his wife watches for 2 hours each working day...:rolleyes:
OLEDs must have been used up after about 500 hours of that kind of material.

Well, they got Philips to come and check it and got an upgrade to a 2018 model! :D
They said about 5% of the OLED panels fail no matter what you try....

In the meantime ALL the logo's of that commercial TV station have been changed to rotating logo colors and opaque versions..yeah

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,389 · (Edited)
About OLED burn-in:

It still happens!

My brother bought a Philips OLED (9002 model or something like that) december 2017.

I checked their settings a few months later, nothing was set out of the ordinary.

Then out of the blue he calls me about a month back saying he is seeing some anomalies on the panel.

After looking into it I could clearly see part of a logo in the anomaly.

The TV had asked to be turned of for a "residual images" removal cycle....They complied to what the tv asked every time, yet this BI was present.

It was the BRIGHT orange part of a television channel his wife watches for 2 hours each working day...:rolleyes:

OLEDs must have been used up after about 500 hours of that kind of material.

Well, they got Philips to come and check it and got an upgrade to a 2018 model! :D

They said about 5% of the OLED panels fail no matter what you try....

In the meantime ALL the logo's of that commercial TV station have been changed to rotating logo colors and opaque versions..yeah

That’s one of the reasons the pixel structure was changed in the 2018 models , oddly I have yet to see someone complain of burn in on the Sony models . I haven’t even seen ir on my panel . Way overblown issue imo , sure it happens but I don’t think it is common. I have owned 2 LGs and this Sony never had any ir or burn in issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rkXLV

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
That’s one of the reasons the pixel structure was changed in the 2018 models , oddly I have yet to see someone complain of burn in on the Sony models . I haven’t even seen ir on my panel . Way overblown issue imo , sure it happens but I don’t think it is common. I have owned 2 LGs and this Sony never had any ir or burn in issues at all.

There are a lot less Sony owners to complain, and perhaps the people that buy the Sony have different viewing habits (they are spending more on their TV after all for some slight improvements). Hard to get a scientific test of that though.

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,392 · (Edited)
There are a lot less Sony owners to complain, and perhaps the people that buy the Sony have different viewing habits (they are spending more on their TV after all for some slight improvements). Hard to get a scientific test of that though.

I concede that point but there is some evidence to suggest Sony’s more aggressive asbl and abl have something to do with it . At any rate I never had any issue with the two LGs I owned .

Reactions: shareknow

·
Vendor
30,279 Posts
Sounds like this issue is going to haunt you and the A8F is not for you as far as gaming goes.Im not a gamer and am preparing to buy an A8F only to watch movies and stream series from Netflix in a no window, completely dark small theater room. For me the Sony is a no brainer but if I was a big gamer I would go with an LED. Eventually you will start to think about burn in with game hubs and even if it doesn't happen the constant fear of it will take away your gaming fun. Lets face it, the only reason we search for the perfect display is to experience great joy in what we do on them.
It's already haunting me and i can't stand bad black levels and I'm not sure if I'd pay that much money for an led, I also read the response time to the LG in hdr is identical with 1 ms difference it's without hdr that there's 10 ms difference the brightness worry is my biggest worry, picture quality in pitch black darkness is the only thing that matters to me I couldn't care less about daytime picture quality and I have sunblocking blinds
One thing is for sure, one TV does not fit all, you may be better off in a different product. I would probably say you may need a technology change though, and go to a Z9D or Q9FN......

·
Registered
932 Posts
Picking this set up in the next few weeks. With regard to burn-in and gaming. I do play a fair amount of Destiny on PS4 Pro ( a few hours a nigh, 3-4 times weekly, some longer sessions on weekends). I've never had an issue with my Kuro and I've logged A LOT of Destiny hours on that set.

Should I be concerned with burn-in? I do vary content quite a bit, sports, movies, etc. Destiny does have a HUD in bottom left corner but I believe you can make it opaque if need be.

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,395 ·
Picking this set up in the next few weeks. With regard to burn-in and gaming. I do play a fair amount of Destiny on PS4 Pro ( a few hours a nigh, 3-4 times weekly, some longer sessions on weekends). I've never had an issue with my Kuro and I've logged A LOT of Destiny hours on that set.

Should I be concerned with burn-in? I do vary content quite a bit, sports, movies, etc. Destiny does have a HUD in bottom left corner but I believe you can make it opaque if need be.

You should be okay but I am not a gamer , I would be cautious the first hundred hours or so .

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,396 ·
Let’s try this again , I have the moderators backing on this.

OWNERS ONLY!!

This thread is now exclusively for current owners of the 2018 Sony A8F. If you do not own the set, do not post here. This is NOT the thread for comparisons or help-me-choose questions. For those, find an existing thread or start a new one. The same members will see it.

All owners posting here are advised to put the A8F in their signatures. Posts from non-owners may be removed without warning. Repeated abuses may result in losing access to this thread.

I am reposting the first post of the thread please respect the posting rules .

Reactions: DrDon

·
Registered
529 Posts
Motion settings

Still trying to dial in the motion settings for this TV. The stuttering you get on Motionflow off or True Cinema can be pretty distracting on panning shots or when credits are going on 24 fps content. From what I can tell that is due to the OLED panels being so fast so the frame stays stagnant longer than we are used to seeing. But the artificial frames and SOE you get from Motionflow on anything 2 or above is just as distracting but for different reasons. I think I'll keep my Motionflow off (or on True Cinema), but man, that stuttering...never thought it would get to me like it is. Is there any setting that can help with stuttering without making it look too fake/smooth (SOE)? I prefer the natural blur of motion in TV so I have always hated frame interpolation, but the stuttering makes me want to do something to improve that. It's like the opposite of blur. Makes my eyes twitch almost as they follow the motion. Maybe just something to get used to and I'm mostly noticing it because it is different.

I also posted this question a while ago, but no responses: has anyone had any issues with the TV not remembering the input that was last used? When I use my Apple TV remote to control the on/off/volume of my entire system, the TV never remembers the Apple TV input. It always starts up with the broadcast channels and will sometimes flip over to Apple TV because it senses it and sometimes not and I'll have to switch inputs manually.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I concede that point but there is some evidence to suggest Sony’s more aggressive asbl and abl have something to do with it . At any rate I never had any issue with the two LGs I owned .

Or may be there is an abundance of LG OLED's out there, due to which such malfunctions are reported more then the others. Sony and others entered late in this segment.

May be Sony Tech and quality control is far superior than the LG's.

1381 - 1400 of 2579 Posts