AVS Forum banner

3201 - 3220 of 3699 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
I installed the update via USB with no problems. Right off the back I can say I like that the menus are black now with white lettering. But one possible bug Im seeing is when I play a dolbyvision title on the native netflix app or on the ATV netflix app the dolbyvision logo no long appears. When I go into the picture settings menu I can see that dolbyvision is indeed working though. I also played some of the titles where dolbyvision is still working on the ATV+ app and not seeing the dolbyvision logo their either. Can anyone else confirm this?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I installed the update via USB with no problems. Right off the back I can say I like that the menus are black now with white lettering. But one possible bug Im seeing is when I play a dolbyvision title on the native netflix app or on the ATV netflix app the dolbyvision logo no long appears. When I go into the picture settings menu I can see that dolbyvision is indeed working though. I also played some of the titles where dolbyvision is still working on the ATV+ app and not seeing the dolbyvision logo their either. Can anyone else confirm this?

I hope they haven’t removed that. It’s already bad enough it doesn’t have a popup for hdr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
The lack of Dolby Vision appearing screen might not be a bug / if it all seems to be working otherwise it might just be the way the new menus work?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just Updated; holy wow i'm impressed

So after a bit of trepidation, I plugged my flash drive into the TV and right away it started downloading the update. It said it would take 10 minutes but the whole thing was done in like 4 minutes, and it restarted once and that was it.

The menus look great, the interface is so so much more modern I cant believe what a huge difference it's making compared to the stock menus we had. What I'm really excited about is HomeKit integration. I have a ton of Lutron switches and now I can set up automations that include the TV. I'm very happy that Sony actually included us in this update.

And to confirm: the dolby vision logo is gone for me too. I tested a couple of verified netflix titles on my ATV4K and it didnt have the logo pop up like it used to but the picture settings confirmed the signal was actually DV.

I remember that in the previous menus, you could go in there and turn the logo on/off. I haven't played around with the settings on this set yet but maybe it's buried in a menu somewhere. I liked the logo lol

·
Registered
281 Posts
I remember that in the previous menus, you could go in there and turn the logo on/off. I haven't played around with the settings on this set yet but maybe it's buried in a menu somewhere. I liked the logo lol

yeah thats exactly what I was thinking too. If you find it let us know! lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
The DV notification was also missing on the 6.2550 update for the AG9/ A9G, so I guess it’s not a bug. I also wish it was still there. However, if DV is as good as in the 6.2550 I’ll luckily live without it in return for a properly working internal DV Playback on Netflix.

·
Registered
165 Posts
However, if DV is as good as in the 6.2550 I’ll luckily live without it in return for a properly working internal DV Playback on Netflix.

What do you mean by properly working internal DV playback? I've had these weird white blocks of noise on DV content when I use the netflix app on the Apple TV, but not when I use the built in app. I just figured it was something netflix was doing wrong, or the Apple TV itself. Is this what you're referring to or is there another bug specific to the built in android netflix player?

By the way, I tried playing something with the built in netflix app, and it still doesn't switch framerates like it does on the Apple TV.

·
Premium Member
35,098 Posts
About this download

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/oled-tvs-android-a9f_af9-series/xbr-65a9f/downloads/00016468

Benefits and Improvements from the latest update

• Fixes an issue where Netflix does not play UHD 4K or Dolby Vision content properly when AD2P headphones are connected
  • Upgrades the operating system to Android™ 9 Pie and adds the following features:
    • Support for Apple AirPlay® and Apple Homekit™
    • Integrates Dolby ATMOS support with the TV speakers
    • Support for HEVC 100/120Hz format for USB video playback
    • Combines the Video, Album and Music apps into the Media Player app
    • Redesigns the Setting and Quick Settings menus
    • Allows you to customize the Input menu
    • Redesigns the Restart menu
    • Redesigns the TV menu
    • Redesigns the Guide screen to display the current channel in a small window within the screen
    • Adds a Timer icon to the Home screen
    • For models that have an IR Blaster, the IR Blaster setup function is renamed to Cable/Satellite box setup
    • Redesigns the LED illumination behavior when using OK Google
    • Provides additional menu, interface, and icon enhancements
I wish Sony would have added more information to its Display graphic other than the bare minimum of "3840x2160p 4K". I think the LG displays have much more information available in their on-screen info graphic.

·
Premium Member
35,098 Posts
What do you mean by properly working internal DV playback? I've had these weird white blocks of noise on DV content when I use the netflix app on the Apple TV, but not when I use the built in app. I just figured it was something netflix was doing wrong, or the Apple TV itself. Is this what you're referring to or is there another bug specific to the built in android netflix player?

By the way, I tried playing something with the built in netflix app, and it still doesn't switch framerates like it does on the Apple TV.
I'm not aware of any display that allows for native frame rate playback from its embedded apps, it's always at 60 Hz.

The lack of the Dolby Vision logo popup is interesting as I thought that was some sort of licensing requirement from Dolby. Maybe complaints about it prompted Dolby to change their position on the logo display.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm not aware of any display that allows for native frame rate playback from its embedded apps, it's always at 60 Hz.

The lack of the Dolby Vision logo popup is interesting as I thought that was some sort of licensing requirement from Dolby. Maybe complaints about it prompted Dolby to change their position on the logo display.

I didn't know that no other embedded apps didn't native rate playback. I was excited to try out 'netflix calibrated' mode on this set when I got it and I know Sony paid a tremendous amount upfront to have exclusive rights to that calibrated mode. If you're gonna do all that because you want to project the image that you care about picture quality, why cant you figure out how to have netflix switch refresh rates in the built in app?

People like us tinkerers will immediately buy a 3rd party streaming box as soon as we see the refresh rate doesn't switch. And anyone who doesn't know or care about pq wouldnt even engage the calibrated mode, so what exactly was their strategy for spending all that money to get that mode on their sets?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I wish Sony would have added more information to its Display graphic other than the bare minimum of "3840x2160p 4K". I think the LG displays have much more information available in their on-screen info graphic.

I also wish sony would have done that but I think it goes against their design philosophy? My friend has a Sony ES receiver and the first time I played with it, I tried to see if it would play back Dolby TruHD or DTS HD MA. It did, but the receiver's display always just says "AFU" mode. It gives no information about the sound source or output. I think maybe sony just has that 'set it and forget it' mentality who knows

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've used CinemaQuest Ideal-Lume for years. Started with my Pioneer Kuro and now I use it with my A9F. Have it mounted on a wall behind the Sony, which sits on a cabinet. I know some say you don't need it with an OLED, but I like it given my room is dark when viewing. CimemaQuest has updated their lamp to LED, which is way better than the previous fluorescent lamp.

Anyone use Bias lighting with Sony AF9?

·
Premium Member
35,098 Posts
I've used CinemaQuest Ideal-Lume for years. Started with my Pioneer Kuro and now I use it with my A9F. Have it mounted on a wall behind the Sony, which sits on a cabinet. I know some say you don't need it with an OLED, but I like it given my room is dark when viewing. CimemaQuest has updated their lamp to LED, which is way better than the previous fluorescent lamp.
I used an Ideal-Lume many years ago myself. Another excellent solution is the offering from MediaLight 6500K Bias Lighting System.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
With the new firmware, Sony left the Pixel Shift Off as the default when it used to be ON. Not sure if this was intentional or an error with the build.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Looking forward to seeing if this new firmware will let my A9G remote work properly via Bluetooth with my A9F. I got it to pair successfully with the previous A9F firmware, but only some of the buttons work.

Edit: It does :)

With the new firmware, Sony left the Pixel Shift Off as the default when it used to be ON. Not sure if this was intentional or an error with the build.
I tried leaving Pixel Shift engaged when I first got my A9F out of paranoia, but when watching any material without overscan (4K or upscaled 1080i/1080p), there's an obvious black border that appears on one side of the screen and visibly changes position regularly—which is the whole point I suppose, but super annoying during critical viewing.

Been using my A9F since May with varied content (including lots of cable with static logos) and no signs of retention yet, but I keep Brightness at Min on the TV input (and it's still brighter than the Kuro 500M it replaced).

·
Registered
165 Posts
So I played around a bit more with the new update.

1. Wow they did a phenomenal job with the tv interface. The new tab system with the favorites is so great. The guide itself is still slow but with the new favorite quick access to my favorite channels, it’s totally fine.

2. The new quick access menus are wonderful! They are bigger so you can easily see them and the ability to quickly change certain settings is so so cool.

3. I love love love HomeKit integration. I was able to coordinate it with my lights to have them dim automatically whenever the tv turns on and it’s night time.

The only thing we lost is the Dolby vision logo lol. If any Sony reps are reading this, thank you for including us in the update. You didn’t have to but I sincerely appreciate it!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
So in other news which is new: I have a HD Homerun Prime, which is a cable card tuner that feeds my cable signals to capable devices. This Sony set treats my HD homerun just like a regular cable line that goes into the tv. The only issue I’ve noticed so far is that if I change channels too quickly the audio lags.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I‘m mainly referring to the raise brightness/APL compared to before and near black-details. Before the update, internal DV was considerably darker than via my fire tv stick 4K. With 6.2550 (Which is still Oreo) it’s easily as bright as the fire tv stick and it finally has a correct near-black gradation. Before, there was terrible posterization in darker regions and parts that now show detail were just black blobs. Even raising black level just raised the black level of those blobs rather that revealing any detail. This problem is gone now as well.

Moreover, the DV settings are different than before. DV brilliant without any picture processing is an exact match for DV bright now and DV bright also looks more impactful than before.

3201 - 3220 of 3699 Posts