AVS Forum banner

421 - 440 of 12387 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I got my 65" X900F on Saturday. I also have an LG B7A OLED and I've become concerned about my TV usage having the potential for permanent burn-in. I play lots of video games, some with static HUDs /other sorts of fixed images, so I started looking for something that I could game on and not have to worry about damaging. I tried the Q9FN before this TV, which I was initially impressed by, but by the end of the first weekend I knew there was no way I was keeping that TV. I made some posts over in that forum as well. I'll touch on them a bit here but if you want the full story head over there. That was my first review on this site and I got a few compliments on my reviewing style, so I thought I would do the same here for the X900F.

Image Quality: Picture looks nice and crisp. Older, non-4K content upscales nicely too. Sony's always been pretty good at that though. I would dare say it's a bit sharper than my OLED, but not by a whole lot. I've just noticed a couple of subtle things that look a little bit clearer on this TV than the OLED, but only because I've seen those images a bunch of times at this point.

Colors: Not quite as wide of a color gamut as my OLED or the Q9FN. It's a little less saturated than the other two but not in a way I would say makes it look worse. You could try and use the "Live Color" setting for more saturation. I personally don't like to use additional image processing though so I leave it off. The uniformity of the color distribution is MUCH better than the Q9, there were so many imperfections with the one I had. There was no displaying a solid color on my Q9, you'd see varying lighter or darker patches all over the place. Not the case on the X900F and I am thankful for that. I'll take a slightly lower color space over numerous imperfections any day of the week. This is more of a uniformity thing though, so lets move on to that.

Uniformity: Like I said in colors, this TV is much better at displaying a solid color than the Q9 was. As Rtings noted, the corners are slightly darker than the rest of the screen. It really isn't that obvious, on a full white screen you might notice it but on anything else you'd be hard pressed to see it. I've noticed a lot of Sony's seem to have slightly darker corners though. Blacks are nice and deep with no clouding issues. Also no obvious banding and there doesn't appear to be any dirty screen effect. Every TV brand seems to have some quirk with uniformity to what I've seen, any imperfections here are localized to just the corners and the Q9 was basically everywhere. My OLED has some areas where it suffers too. My OLED has a vertical band along the left side that has a slightly yellowish tint to it and others have commented theirs has it too, be it there or somewhere else on the screen. Fairly noticeable when displaying whites, brighter colors also show up as a slightly different shade in that area. I can deal with the quirks of this TV easier, it's big enough to where I'm not looking at the corners that much anyway.

Brightness (SDR): Good brightness for SDR. I keep mine at 25, 50 is the max. It's plenty bright at 25 even in a fairly well lit room. Not much I can say about SDR brightness really, most TV's these days are capable of hitting a pretty good brightness for SDR content.

Brightness (HDR): It's not as bright as the Q9, the only thing I will miss about that TV. The X900F does get decently bright though, bright enough for me anyway. Best of all, no super dim and washed out looking picture when in HDR game mode! On the OLED, I hate the HDR game mode picture. LG, for whatever reason, decided this looked better for that mode. My guess is lower brightness reduces risk of burn-in and that is their logic to it being "better". Interestingly enough, the Q9 was also dimmer in HDR game mode by default. With both of those TVs there were some settings you could change to bring the brightness back up, but it still wasn't quite as bright as the other picture modes. This is not the case with the X900F, HDR game mode is as bright as you would expect it to be without having to mess with anything. I'm much, much happier with the HDR game mode on this TV. I just leave it there all the time where I would have to switch modes when watching movies on the others for a better HDR experience. I've only watched the two John Wick movies on this TV so far but they looked really good. I didn't notice any blooming into the black bars. I wasn't totally focused on them so it might have happened a couple times but I didn't notice it. Which brings us to the local dimming.

Local Dimming: Works surprising well considering it has much less zones than the Q9FN. I believe the 65" X900F has about 60 zones while the Q9 has about 480. Sony is working some pretty impressive wizardry with their dimming algorithm. Honestly, I can barely tell the difference sitting right in front. Off angle, yeah it's easier to see the difference the extra zones made, but it's not a night and day difference either.

Motion: This is another area where every brand seems to have their quirks based on feedback I've seen from others. I'm not that sensitive to motion but I know some people are. Going from the OLED to the Q9 I could see a little difference in motion handling but I can't really describe what exactly it was that made it different. This looks closer to the motion on my OLED for whatever that's worth. I haven't tried the new X motion clarity because I don't like to use motion processing either.

View Angle: Obviously not anywhere near as wide as my OLED. It's about average for a VA panel. I've seen worse.

Image Retention/Burn-in: Not going to happen since it isn't an OLED or plasma.

Input Lag: Feels about the same as my OLED when in game mode so it's pretty responsive. I think Rtings said the B7 had 21ms in game mode and this has 25ms, so its pretty comparable.

For some minor things: I'm not a huge fan of the new "feet" supports. I had to set them inwards to fit it on my TV stand. I think they look a little weird compared to the supports on last years Sony's, but they do hold the TV up nice and sturdy. Some people might be a bit let down that only HDMI 2 and 3 are capable of receiving HDR signals. I run into a receiver first, then into the TV so this isn't a problem for me. The Android apps are a bit slow and clunky at times but I use my Roku for all of those so this doesn't affect me either.

Overall though I think this is a pretty nice TV. For my money it's a better value than the Q9FN, and even if I'd gotten a panel with better screen uniformity I would have the same opinion. If I could just get the brightness from the Q9 and the OLED viewing angles combined into this TV that would pretty much be perfection. We're probably a few years out of anything that will fit that description though, but this will definitely do while I'm waiting for that day to arrive. I'll pop back in a bit over the next few days if anyone has any questions on things I didn't cover. This ended up being a pretty lengthy post, thank you for taking the time out of your day to read it.
This helps me a lot.

·
Vendor
26,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
Just in case anyone feels the US prices are high, you should know that the SRP of a 85" X9000F panel is about 11.5k USD in Singapore... and in many parts of the world, the prices aren't much better either..
There are pros and cons to everything, trust me on that ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Any owners able to comment on Android TV on the 900F? Is it just as laggy / buggy as years past (i.e. running the same version) or is it improved?

Thank you!
I have a 75 940D and the Android TV O/S is slow buggy and crappy. One of the reasons I got the 85 900F plus it's larger at a reasonable cost.

I will say the menus are definitely snappier on the 900F. There's still slowness in some things and it's a little different on the menus poping up on the right but otherwise no issues, lets say no complaints, with it yet. And I'm an Android phone user (S8+ currently) so the Android O/S peculiarities I'm use to.

I will be disabling or uninstalling many things once I get to the point. Only thing I've been able to do so far is watch some limited TV which does look better. Also the approval from others in the house it looks better(all that matters!). I can nitpick but those will be my opinions as long as they are happy!
I have the Sony 4K player hooked up but alas I knew after hooking the TV up my time would be limited (have to sleep sometime) so will hopefully get to messing with it later in the week or this weekend (of course also when others aren't wanting to watch / enjoy it).

I think the one thing I will miss is 3D but have the 940D but also my ZT60's which I prefer for 3D anyhow. Wish they were 75 or larger but that ship sailed a long time ago.
I do like that my room is not a instant heater! when then TV is on. lol.
I really like the extra size.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Some people might be a bit let down that only HDMI 2 and 3 are capable of receiving HDR signals. I run into a receiver first, then into the TV so this isn't a problem for me. The Android apps are a bit slow and clunky at times but I use my Roku for all of those so this doesn't affect me either.
Newbie here. I have a Roku Premiere+ connected via ethernet and the 49" 900F is on it's way. The receiver is a Yamaha RX-V383 with a HDMI OUT with ACR and 4 more HDMI ports on the back.

Question: Do you plug in your Roku into one of the other available HDMI ports on your receiver? I was thinking about that way rather than going with #2 HDMI port on the 900F. I don't know if my receiver's ports are "full bandwidth" like the #2 port on the TV is. If not, I'll stick the Roku HDMI cable in #2 .
Thanks for your/anyone's thoughts and that's a nice helpful post you did!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Newbie here. I have a Roku Premiere+ connected via ethernet and the 49" 900F is on it's way. The receiver is a Yamaha RX-V383 with a HDMI OUT with ACR and 4 more HDMI ports on the back.

Question: Do you plug in your Roku into one of the other available HDMI ports on your receiver? I was thinking about that way rather than going with #2 HDMI port on the 900F. I don't know if my receiver's ports are "full bandwidth" like the #2 port on the TV is. If not, I'll stick the Roku HDMI cable in #2 .
Thanks for your/anyone's thoughts and that's a nice helpful post you did!
You should plug everything in the receiver since it has 4 ports and they all support HDCP 2.2 / 4K 60 etc . Make sure you have 18 Gbp certified cables and your 900F HDMI signal Format on the TV is set to Enhanced Format
Set the Yamaha receiver to 4K Mode 1: See page 68 in the manual ( https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/5/891975/web_YJ186A0_EN1_RX-V383_om_UCRABGLF_En_A0.pdf )

Good luck and Congrats.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Does anyone know the answer to this: when I change the Motion settings for one picture mode, it changes them for all of the others too. For example if I have Clearness at 1 in both Custom and Cinema Pro, and then I change it to 2 in Cinema Pro, it also changes it to 2 in Custom. Is it supposed to do this or is my TV faulty?

·
Registered
21 Posts
You should plug everything in the receiver since it has 4 ports and they all support HDCP 2.2 / 4K 60 etc . Make sure you have 18 Gbp certified cables and your 900F HDMI signal Format on the TV is set to Enhanced Format
Set the Yamaha receiver to 4K Mode 1: See page 68 in the manual

Good luck and Congrats.

Thank you sir! Receiver coming today (fingers crossed). Will have the 18GB cables before 900F arrives.
Until it does, I'll hang on to ole faithful Sony 40Z5100 which is still connected to 30+ year old Sony STR-AV780 :eek:.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Does anyone know the answer to this: when I change the Motion settings for one picture mode, it changes them for all of the others too. For example if I have Clearness at 1 in both Custom and Cinema Pro, and then I change it to 2 in Cinema Pro, it also changes it to 2 in Custom. Is it supposed to do this or is my TV faulty?

Custom motion settings are global

·
Registered
641 Posts
Thank you sir! Receiver coming today (fingers crossed). Will have the 18GB cables before 900F arrives.
Until it does, I'll hang on to ole faithful Sony 40Z5100 which is still connected to 30+ year old Sony STR-AV780 :eek:.
Welcome to the new TV smell club :). The forum members are friendly, we should be able to help you out if you have any problems when all the equipment comes in.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Is that a new "feature" on x900f? I'm pretty sure on x900e you can keep different motion settings in different presets...

You should be able to set different motion settings for each preset unless you’re using custom those motion settings are global. To summarize custom motion will be the same in all presets.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I have a 75 940D and the Android TV O/S is slow buggy and crappy. One of the reasons I got the 85 900F plus it's larger at a reasonable cost.

I will say the menus are definitely snappier on the 900F. There's still slowness in some things and it's a little different on the menus poping up on the right but otherwise no issues, lets say no complaints, with it yet. And I'm an Android phone user (S8+ currently) so the Android O/S peculiarities I'm use to.

I will be disabling or uninstalling many things once I get to the point. Only thing I've been able to do so far is watch some limited TV which does look better. Also the approval from others in the house it looks better(all that matters!). I can nitpick but those will be my opinions as long as they are happy!
I have the Sony 4K player hooked up but alas I knew after hooking the TV up my time would be limited (have to sleep sometime) so will hopefully get to messing with it later in the week or this weekend (of course also when others aren't wanting to watch / enjoy it).

I think the one thing I will miss is 3D but have the 940D but also my ZT60's which I prefer for 3D anyhow. Wish they were 75 or larger but that ship sailed a long time ago.
I do like that my room is not a instant heater! when then TV is on. lol.
I really like the extra size.
So you like the PQ better on the 900F than the 940D?

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is my first Sony so i dont have prior Sony experience to compare to. At first it seemed fine but after 2 days of playing with the apps it got super slow and laggy to the point of being unusable. Eventually I had to reboot the TV when the Android TV menu completely froze.

But i figured out how to disable "sony shelf" and "sony select" and now its much improved. I havent had any lag since then.

But yes the apps themselves work great. Netlfix and Youtube in 4k are really nice and Kodi works great. Ive been able to stream files over my network and also play from USB on the TV itself.
Can you share how you disabled the “Sony Shelf” and “Sony Select”

Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
So you like the PQ better on the 900F than the 940D?
Yes, IMO. I haven't done any changes to the 900F and on the 940D I've made tweaks based on AustinJerry's settings from a long time ago (set it / forget it) when he had a 940D. If my memory is correct.

Like I said, I haven't had the time to study things further just normal HD cable and I feel it looks better. More pop in colors and I'm not one to care about brightness due to my Plasma history as was fine with the brightness on those. I'm not super sensitive to motion or blooming not a deal breakers as I feel it's on all LEDs just in varying degrees and Sony does a good job IMO. As with the 940D the corner is slightly darker but only on solid colors which isn't normal viewing of most anything.
On the 940D I noticed certain motion issues mainly with football, not hockey which was odd to me and only blooming on movie credits. I haven't tested this yet on the 900F but have watched the NBA and I didn't see any issues.

With any TV there's trade-offs and none of them are perfect. I won't move to OLED due to size / cost ratio and I'm not going down in size. If that's the case I'll move back to my Plasmas I still have.
It will be hard to revert back to anything smaller now.

I had issues on the 940D with keeping an internet connection or taking down my network using the Ethernet cable but same cable on 900F network has been rock solid. Flaw / faulty part in the 940D but it's been so long and Wifi dropping continuously recently lead me to the 900F.
Competitive price for this size with good features. I can't fault that cause I think of my 1st Plasma being a 51 inch at 15k! How far it's come.
Even the clown feet don't bother me cause I'm focused on the picture on this large gorgeous screen.

421 - 440 of 12387 Posts