AVS Forum banner

741 - 760 of 12381 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
REturning to ask a question.

Does this TV support PC RGB (Full RGB)? I am mainly using it to play XboxoneX games which include HDR games and was curious if I should be using this setting.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Welcome!
[X-Motion Clarity ...]

Update: I believe it's a part of the Reality Creation settings so you can enable it or disable it. Read about what it does in the rtings.com settings site I posted above under Clarity Tab.

I used the Sony remote going in Action Menu, scroll down to Picture settings, Custom, then Clarity tab.
[...]
X-Motion Clarity is enabled in the "Motion" tab, not "Clarity", and it's not labeled as such. It's related to BFI (Black Frame Insertion) and is enabled by setting "MotionFlow" to "Custom" and moving the "Clearness" slider to "1". (You can move the "Smoothness" slider, which controls Motion Interpolation, to whatever you prefer.).

See: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f#comparison_2220

·
Registered
21 Posts
X-Motion Clarity is enabled in the "Motion" tab, not "Clarity", and it's not labeled as such. It's related to BFI (Black Frame Insertion) and is enabled by setting "MotionFlow" to "Custom" and moving the "Clearness" slider to "1". (You can move the "Smoothness" slider, which controls Motion Interpolation, to whatever you prefer.).

See: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f#comparison_2220
Ah..I see now said the blind man.

Going to your link explained it. I was reading into it on another site review but makes sense now!

Thanks spear

·
Registered
277 Posts
I’m wondering if anyone thinks it’s worth upgrading from my 55” X900E to the 55” X900F or X930E? My main concern is the lack of Dolby Vision. I feel like it’s something I’m missing out on. A family member said they’d take my tv off my hands for a good price. So my question is, is Dolby Vision, in your opinion, worth an upgrade?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
REturning to ask a question.

Does this TV support PC RGB (Full RGB)? I am mainly using it to play XboxoneX games which include HDR games and was curious if I should be using this setting.
This Sony supports RGB FULL up to 4K 60p...I am spitting "up to" that from my GTX1050 PC.

Anyone know if the OPTICAL OUT spits out anything other than stereo LPCM audio? Can it send Dolby Digital bitstream?

Paul

·
Registered
243 Posts
Picture controls in Chromecast built-in

Anyone tried the Chromecast built-in? I found that some of the picture controls (Brightness, Color, and Tint sliders) don't seem to work in that mode.

I got the THX Tune Up app on my iPhone and saw that it supported output to Chromecast (versus using a Lightning-HDMI cable or casting to an Apple TV, neither of which I currently have). I was excited to get it working with the TV's Chromecast built-in but found that the relevant picture control sliders had no effect. That negates most of the benefit of using the app.

Some of the other controls do work (like changing picture modes, Live Color, and local dimming). The TV says it's using the "App (Video)" settings, which are also used in the Netflix app and the controls do work there.

I guess it's not that big a deal to me since the picture controls didn't seemed far off. I don't think I'll have a lot of use for the Chromecast feature anyway but I was just curious if other people see the same issue.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thinking of upgrading . . .

I currently own a 2016 Vizio P65-C1 and am looking to upgrade. Does anyone know:
1) if the X900F would be a noticeable upgrade in picture quality
2) based on announced specs alone, would the X900F hold its own against the soon-to-be-released Vizio P-series Quantum?

Thanks for any advice you can give...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Anyone tried the Chromecast built-in? I found that some of the picture controls (Brightness, Color, and Tint sliders) don't seem to work in that mode.

I got the THX Tune Up app on my iPhone and saw that it supported output to Chromecast (versus using a Lightning-HDMI cable or casting to an Apple TV, neither of which I currently have). I was excited to get it working with the TV's Chromecast built-in but found that the relevant picture control sliders had no effect. That negates most of the benefit of using the app.

Some of the other controls do work (like changing picture modes, Live Color, and local dimming). The TV says it's using the "App (Video)" settings, which are also used in the Netflix app and the controls do work there.

I guess it's not that big a deal to me since the picture controls didn't seemed far off. I don't think I'll have a lot of use for the Chromecast feature anyway but I was just curious if other people see the same issue.
Were you actively playing content while using the internal Chromecast? I know for . fact the X900F Chromecast picture controls, ALL of them work, because I calibrated my app picture settings mode using Chromecast through HCFR. The issue I had was in between the test patterns, when the Chromecast was not playing content, the picture controls were not available. Pause (don't stop) playback through Chromecast, and check your control availability. :)

Paul

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’m wondering if anyone thinks it’s worth upgrading from my 55” X900E to the 55” X900F or X930E? My main concern is the lack of Dolby Vision. I feel like it’s something I’m missing out on. A family member said they’d take my tv off my hands for a good price. So my question is, is Dolby Vision, in your opinion, worth an upgrade?
I currently have all 900e, 930e and 900f in the house...will be returning the 930e due to a persistent screen defect, however, and keeping the 900e and 900f.
I don't think it's worth upgrading only for dolby vision...i'm personally not seeing any significant difference/improvement even when placed side by side...the only thing i've noticed is slight improvement in highlight detail, but in terms of overall picture quality, really not seeing any real difference
900f does have more accurate tone/color compared to 900e and 930e so if you're not going to calibrate, that is a significant advantage.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I currently have all 900e, 930e and 900f in the house...will be returning the 930e due to a persistent screen defect, however, and keeping the 900e and 900f.
I don't think it's worth upgrading only for dolby vision...i'm personally not seeing any significant difference/improvement even when placed side by side...the only thing i've noticed is slight improvement in highlight detail, but in terms of overall picture quality, really not seeing any real difference
900f does have more accurate tone/color compared to 900e and 930e so if you're not going to calibrate, that is a significant advantage.
Can’t wait to get a non defective 900f. First one cluster of dead pixels in center of screen. Second one top of frame bent resulting in a slight curve. Maybe someday I’ll get my third one. Initial order was 6 weeks ago.

·
Vendor
26,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #752
I currently own a 2016 Vizio P65-C1 and am looking to upgrade. Does anyone know:
1) if the X900F would be a noticeable upgrade in picture quality
2) based on announced specs alone, would the X900F hold its own against the soon-to-be-released Vizio P-series Quantum?

Thanks for any advice you can give...
No question about an upgrade in picture quality. Ya know, Vizio has been saying this and that for years, every year from what I have seen there products are not as good as once projected...

·
Vendor
26,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #753
Appreciate the feed back. Have you seen or heard of others having a bunch of issues with the Sonys? Ive seen some on here returning it multiple times. I will have to purchase off amazon so my return process would be a pain.
There are way more people happy with there choices, then unhappy people. If this was not the case, no one would buy/sell online......

·
Registered
243 Posts
Were you actively playing content while using the internal Chromecast? I know for . fact the X900F Chromecast picture controls, ALL of them work, because I calibrated my app picture settings mode using Chromecast through HCFR. The issue I had was in between the test patterns, when the Chromecast was not playing content, the picture controls were not available. Pause (don't stop) playback through Chromecast, and check your control availability. :)
The THX app wasn't paused but it's good to know that may have an effect. The controls are available -- it's just the sliders had no effect. I also tried casting from my phone's YouTube app and the picture controls do work there, so it appears to be app-dependent.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was curious if anyone else has had this issue. This morning was the second time in two weeks I’ve started up the tv and not only is there no picture but the tv freezes and I can’t turn it off by the remote. I unplug it and plug back in and then it works just fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As I posted about upthread, the dark corners have bothered me enough that I walked into Best Buy and setup a return 😞 For such a well-reviewed TV and the only well-priced option at the 85” size, it was disheartening to see the “vignetting”. Am trying a Samsung 82” Q6FN instead. Let’s see...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sony X900F

Going to give the 85X900F a try. Recently purchased a 75Q9FN which is truly a great TV, just not enough of a size upgrade coming from my 70 inch Vizio. Here's hoping the X900F produces a great picture as well, though I know it will not be up to par with the Q9FN in a completely dark room. Maybe ambient light behind the TV will offset. Anybody with a 85 inch X900F care to share there picture thoughts and what TV they upgraded from? Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the Sony 930e have to say DV is worth the experience. Maybe not on the gaming side (none of the games i have are triggering dv yet) but for movies and tv shows such as Altered Carbon/Lost in Space definitely looks much better. Could I live without DV? Yes I could but if you have a choice than I'd take it over not having it.

The only downside is having a device/application that triggers DV on a Sony set. Just check to make sure your favourite service or device has the capabilities. Don't believe the 900F has the DV update yet.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Additions to Channels

Can anyone tell me how to add streaming channels to the Channels input on the Sony 900f? I'd like to add Sling, Hulu, Vudu, and Amazon, as I am about to pull the plug on DirectTv. I can root through the apps to find them, but I want them to appear on the Channels listing (which appears when input is selected). For the life of me, I can't determine the right commands. The only one listed is a Google Play, which seems permanently set on movie trailers.

Help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm new to Sony 4k televisions. I picked up this model because of the very good reviews of the 900e. I'm no videophile. I just want an accurate and vibrant, but not overly saturated picture. I'm liking the F so far, but I have a couple of questions.

Which is preferred when watching 4K HDR movies whether on discs, USB, or streaming services; Cinema Pro, Cinema Home, or Custom? I've been playing around with the settings but I'm unsure as to which one to ideally use for watching these types of content.

Also, for motion settings. When should you use motionflow and cinemotion? Should it be on true cinema and high for HDR, SDR, or both? Again, I'm new to these settings and if I could get some recommendations for what they should be and for what material, I would appreciate it very much.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

741 - 760 of 12381 Posts