AVS Forum banner

781 - 800 of 12398 Posts

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #782
Going to give the 85X900F a try. Recently purchased a 75Q9FN which is truly a great TV, just not enough of a size upgrade coming from my 70 inch Vizio. Here's hoping the X900F produces a great picture as well, though I know it will not be up to par with the Q9FN in a completely dark room. Maybe ambient light behind the TV will offset. Anybody with a 85 inch X900F care to share there picture thoughts and what TV they upgraded from? Thanks.
XBR-85X900F does a great job for the price, usually 85" sets that are on par with the Q9FN are 15K plus, are they worth 200% more cost over the 900F, heck no......

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Will definitely be as detailed as I can and answer any questions. As of now, 85X900F is on backorder in all of Las Vegas, NV so there may be a little bit of a wait. Im told 2-4 weeks so will update as I get the set. Thanks
You might want to give Cleveland Plasma a call, they have a great reputation on here and offer a lot and even more than some local brick and mortars with no tax and free shipping.

Great customer service.

Reactions: Duckbacker

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
XBR-85X900F does a great job for the price, usually 85" sets that are on par with the Q9FN are 15K plus, are they worth 200% more cost over the 900F, heck no......
Ummmm...can you please tell me where this 85" set is if it exists thats on par with the Q9FN? The 900F is a great set, but it isn't on par with the Q9FN and no other set exists for that size that is on par...so its a rhetorical question. If there was one I would have bought it.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Ummmm...can you please tell me where this 85" set is if it exists thats on part with the Q9F? Its a great set, but it isn't on par with the Q9FN and no other set exists for that size that is on par...so its a rhetorical question. If there was one I would have bought it.
What he wrote and what you’ve interpreted are two distinct things.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
What he wrote and what you’ve interpreted are two distinct things.
I'm not sure that statement is accurate when I haven't seen a set on par for that size for 15K, or 20K, or 10K. There hasn't been one, so I have no idea when the word usually is used what he is referring to.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Thats a 77" OLED, not an 85" LCD. What we do know is that Samsung lowered there prices this year and improved drastically their picture. Its a very difficult decision which is what I struggle with which was to go either with a 'midrange' 900F for the size or a 75" Q9FN for the quality. I chose quality. Its not so like to like as he implies.
Again, what he wrote and what you read are not the same things. This is what he wrote.... large TVs on par with the Q9F are usually expensive. He did not say the 900F is on par with the Q9FN. Didn’t mention display technology. Just that large TVs are expensive and that their price over the 900F may not worth it.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Again, what he wrote and what you read are not the same things. This is what he wrote.... large TVs on par with the Q9F are usually expensive.
I went back to read it again. Perhaps you are right. At first it looked like the typical Samsung ding and Sony push which I see quite often, but what I think he is saying is that you will pay a lot more for a high end TV at that size where the Sony 900F offers a great pic for a midrange TV at a lot less money. Ive seen the 900F a few times now and the picture is quite good, so for the money if size is more important which to many it is and with no other viable options in the LCD class for that size its no brainer.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The 2 highest rated LCD TVs on rtings are the Q8fn and Q9fn. Their top rated set in an LG OLED. I don't think they have any Sony push or bias.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The 2 highest rated LCD TVs on rtings are the Q8fn and Q9fn. Their top rated set in an LG OLED. I don't think they have any Sony push or bias.
Honestly i like what Samsung has done this year should push sony to more zones next year and create a solid back and forth that will only benefit consumers in the end.

Reactions: half vader

·
Registered
825 Posts
I went to go see them at Magnolia and they had the same content on everything across makes. Unless I could find better motion settings on the Sammys, I'd still buy the 900f. I was considering the 900e and 930e last year and almost bought the 930 since the 900 just didn't look as dynamic but the 900f looks great to me. Almost as much apparent pop as the 930 and great motion. I think the new processing has helped a lot. Unless a 75z9d falls off a truck or the new Vizio QP blows me away, I'll be getting a 900f this year.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Noise while changing channels

I just got my Sony 900F 55 inch TV. I use a Dish box for watching TV. When I change from a SD channel to HD channel I get a TRRRRRRRRR......... noise from TV. It does not happen at any other times. It comes from TV speakers, because if I turn volume totally down, I do not hear it. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
^^^
WD 40.:p

I know it's no laughing matter but?

Sorry I couldn't resist.

But I've decided from reading about TV's here I'm going with the 900f 85" tv. Save money with a 82" Sammie but I know i would never get past "I made a mistake" moment.

Extreme chip worth it someone please tell me I'm wrong.:)

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
I just got my Sony 900F 55 inch TV. I use a Dish box for watching TV. When I change from a SD channel to HD channel I get a TRRRRRRRRR......... noise from TV. It does not happen at any other times. It comes from TV speakers, because if I turn volume totally down, I do not hear it. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
If you know someone that can lend you an AVR and bypass the TV speakers altogether.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Set up my new 75x900f today. Initial impressions good. So far no panel issues and seems to be fully working.
Colors etc ok out of the box...I tweaked a bit to drop saturation drop black level increase gamma to +1 and started watching. Its getting better by the minute...going to let it break in a bit more and keep fine tuning.

Buy yes colors look nice, blacks are good. Seems like a good deal in its range.
Cant wait to try out a 4k movie after work tomorrow and start playing with demos and tune.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Anyone know if this is a 10-bit or 12-bit display?
Anyway to manually enable HDR if for whatever reason it's not being detected? My old 940D use to have issues like that all the time with certain apps but with this 900F there is no HDR picture mode anymore.
Bought the 85" love the size and very crisp but had alot of dead pixels anyone else that bought one experience this and is it common?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Right now I'm torn between a 75" X900F, waiting for the Vizio P and seeing how that performs or replacing my BenQ W1070 with a JVC 590r. Of course by the time I decide it will be 2019 and TCL will be launching a quantum dot 75 inch for like $2500.

Reactions: Ben23

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I currently have all 900e, 930e and 900f in the house...will be returning the 930e due to a persistent screen defect, however, and keeping the 900e and 900f.
I don't think it's worth upgrading only for dolby vision...i'm personally not seeing any significant difference/improvement even when placed side by side...the only thing i've noticed is slight improvement in highlight detail, but in terms of overall picture quality, really not seeing any real difference
900f does have more accurate tone/color compared to 900e and 930e so if you're not going to calibrate, that is a significant advantage.
Dolby Vision??

That won't be activated until there is an upcoming firmware update.

781 - 800 of 12398 Posts