AVS Forum banner

881 - 900 of 12372 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your postal carrier or UPS driver must hate you :p

What will you use for live and recording TV...program? I am stuck with an i7-6700K in order to use WMC with Windows 7.

Paul

LOL.. I live in NYC in a doorman building.. so dont have to see the delivery guys. Except the TV was delivered this morning at 8am, and the service entrance was closed, so the delivery guy hand carried it to my apartment (he didn't bring a dolly on his truck).

As for recording, I was using WMC on Windows 8 since it came out with the Ceton infiniTV 6 ETH, which gave me 6 tuners with my cable card and was hooked up to my Panasonic plasma. I plan to use Plex now in Windows 10 as my TV source with the SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME Cable. I wish I could use the Ceton, but it's not compatible with Plex, so I will lose 3 tuners. I also won't be able to record HBO, Showtime, and other premium channels. But for those shows/movies, I can either use their HBO Go app or just download 1080p versions off the net.

My biggest concern is:

1.) If my HDR 4K H265 content will play via Kodi or Plex on the TV. Also, should I use the Sony Android app or my Windows desktop for Kodi/Plex?
2.) How I should plug in the LG Atmos sound bar? In between the Nvidia 1060 card and the TV. Or outputted from the TV.

Compared to the 6 yr old Panny 60" plasma, as others have said: plasma sets a high standard. The 4k content on the Sony is just as it should be but I really feel that smooth depiction of motion is better on the plasma and also, the slight dimming in the corners of the 900f is a bug, not a feature.

But...human beings adapt and I know to give the Sony some time so we get accustomed to the new imagery.
I am also worried about motion. I loved the colors and brightness of the Samsung Q8N, but when I stopped by the Best Buy, the Sony rep there showed me how the motion on the Sony is soo much better than Samsung's. I HATE the soap opera effect, so I need to figure out the best motion settings to minimize this while trying to brighten the pic to mimic my plasma.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Do you have a lot of HDR 4K content? Windows 7 is limited in what it will DNLA to the X900F, so I just keep a USB stick that I put files on for playback, such as my 4K HDR stuff. As for motion, Custom with Smoothness 0 and Clearness 3 will give you the best, but the more you increasw clearness, the more you have to push up backlight brightness to compensate. Clearness 3 gets rid of most of the annoying motion stutter, which is really bad on built in apps for some reason, but your HDR will take a massive peak brightness hit.

I use WMC with a Ceton InfiniTV6 PCIE...I don't know what I am going to do when Microsoft finally pulls the plug on the guide or throws an update out that completely breaks WMC. I got a free Windows 8 Media Center pack key in the old days, but never got around to activating it, and when I tried recently, they didn't accept it anymore. :(

Paul

·
Vendor
26,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #883
Has anyone heard of any news regarding when this set will get the DV update? Could it even be not until next year?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I know the A8F OLED in the UK got there DV update, should be soon ;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've read through as much of this thread as I can at the moment so apologies if this has been asked and answered already but was hoping someone can help me out with the following question. Does anyone know if when the upcoming DV update hits, will it be limited to the internal apps and external devices that have a specific update (similar to the DV implementation on the 2017 model)? Or will the DV update enable DV functionality similar to how DV works on other tvs (for example, LG OLEDs, which don't require external devices to have a specific update). Thanks for any information anyone can provide!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi guys .. what about VRR for this model of sony? will they release an update like Samsung did, or the tv already support this feature?
Is VRR very important for gaming on xbox one x and ps4 pro for future games?

do I need to care about VRR when deciding between Q9FN and X900f?

Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi guys .. what about VRR for this model of sony? will they release an update like Samsung did, or the tv already support this feature?
Is VRR very important for gaming on xbox one x and ps4 pro for future games?

do I need to care about VRR when deciding between Q9FN and X900f?
Thanks.
VRR is only for the supported Samsung models. FreeSync is now available on the NU8000, Q6FN, Q7FN, Q8FN, and Q9FN.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/samsung-qled-tv-freesync-firmware/

Sony haven't announced any plans for VRR for both panels and PS4 pro.

As for Xbox One X performance have a good read through this long article. We are on the cutting edge of VRR for home console use.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-freesync-support-tested-on-xbox-one-x

·
Registered
730 Posts
LOL.. I live in NYC in a doorman building.. so dont have to see the delivery guys. Except the TV was delivered this morning at 8am, and the service entrance was closed, so the delivery guy hand carried it to my apartment (he didn't bring a dolly on his truck).

As for recording, I was using WMC on Windows 8 since it came out with the Ceton infiniTV 6 ETH, which gave me 6 tuners with my cable card and was hooked up to my Panasonic plasma. I plan to use Plex now in Windows 10 as my TV source with the SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME Cable. I wish I could use the Ceton, but it's not compatible with Plex, so I will lose 3 tuners. I also won't be able to record HBO, Showtime, and other premium channels. But for those shows/movies, I can either use their HBO Go app or just download 1080p versions off the net.

My biggest concern is:

1.) If my HDR 4K H265 content will play via Kodi or Plex on the TV. Also, should I use the Sony Android app or my Windows desktop for Kodi/Plex?
2.) How I should plug in the LG Atmos sound bar? In between the Nvidia 1060 card and the TV. Or outputted from the TV.

I am also worried about motion. I loved the colors and brightness of the Samsung Q8N, but when I stopped by the Best Buy, the Sony rep there showed me how the motion on the Sony is soo much better than Samsung's. I HATE the soap opera effect, so I need to figure out the best motion settings to minimize this while trying to brighten the pic to mimic my plasma.
I am happy with motion and leave true cinema on with cinemotion on high. No SOE and motion is pretty good for most content. If it’s not use custom and turn up smoothness to 1 or 2. 2 might introduce minor SOE though. I haven’t used the clearness slider for anything as I haven’t seen a need to. I watch sports the same way and have no complaints. I had a mid range Panasonic plasma from 2007ish to 2014. Transition was easy for me from plasma to LCD.

Also I stream 4K HDR H265 content over my home network from a Windows 10 PC to the TV and haven’t run into any issues using the native video app. Both devices are hard wired into the network. Largest file I’ve tried was 50gb. I just load up the windows media center app and setup folders to share and works great. No need for any additional software.

I’ve read that Plex won’t stream to the TV 4K HDR content but can’t confirm as never tried it nor have I had a need to.

·
Registered
171 Posts
VRR is only for the supported Samsung models. FreeSync is now available on the NU8000, Q6FN, Q7FN, Q8FN, and Q9FN.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/samsung-qled-tv-freesync-firmware/

Sony haven't announced any plans for VRR for both panels and PS4 pro.

As for Xbox One X performance have a good read through this long article. We are on the cutting edge of VRR for home console use.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-freesync-support-tested-on-xbox-one-x
So VRR is not that much important for deciding between Q9fn and x9000f?

·
Registered
730 Posts
It’s a great new feature but I wouldn’t let it factor into my TV purchase. Probably won’t see good support until next console generation. Way I see it is we haven’t had that kind of feature in the past 20 years so while awesome I wouldn’t worry about it unless it’s something you must have.

If your gonna PC game on the TV I might consider it more important.

For what it’s worth, I am a gamer and I didn’t let the 900Fs lack of the feature stop me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased the Sony 85" 900f and will be placing it on a stand temporarily. My question is has anyone tried turning the TV legs inward when attaching them, and will this cause the TV to become less stable. My present stand is only 65 inches and turning the legs inward rather than outward would fit. TV will be on stand for about 3 months until add on house room is complete. Will appreciate any help you may give.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I just purchased the Sony 85" 900f and will be placing it on a stand temporarily. My question is has anyone tried turning the TV legs inward when attaching them, and will this cause the TV to become less stable. My present stand is only 65 inches and turning the legs inward rather than outward would fit. TV will be on stand for about 3 months until add on house room is complete. Will appreciate any help you may give.
I don’t see it causing any problems short term. Long term I wouldn’t expect it to be a problem either but we can’t say for sure. I wouldn’t expect to be less stable. You could always attach a cheap anti tip strap to a wall from it though if you’re worried. Like $7 on amazon.

I’d say go for it. If my stand were big enough I’d have the 85” too. It wouldn’t fit even if I did that.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just got back from Best Buy gawking at TVs forever. The 900F looked damn good...but sadly it seemed to wash out the most from the side compared to the other TVs I’m considering. The OLED of course was perfect from the side. Followed by the Q9. The Q8 was pretty good too but washed out a tiny bit, but not as much as the Sony to my eyes. Damn good picture head on though.
If I stay the 65” route I’m pretty sure it’s between the Q9 or the C8.
But if we go 75 it will be a tough choice between the 900F or the Q8.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I just got back from Best Buy gawking at TVs forever. The 900F looked damn good...but sadly it seemed to wash out the most from the side compared to the other TVs I’m considering. The OLED of course was perfect from the side. Followed by the Q9. The Q8 was pretty good too but washed out a tiny bit, but not as much as the Sony to my eyes. Damn good picture head on though.
If I stay the 65” route I’m pretty sure it’s between the Q9 or the C8.
But if we go 75 it will be a tough choice between the 900F or the Q8.
I don’t have any issues side viewing my 900F. I’d guess I’m around 40 degrees off to the side right now. Either I got lucky or I’m not bothered so it’s a minor change to me. I’m paranoid of burn-in else OLED would be the way I went. I personally ruled out Samsung because I wanted to have Dolby Vision and they can’t do DTS passthrough for some reason.

I’d say they’re all good TVs just pick the one that fits your needs. Personally I’d go with a 75”.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It’s a great new feature but I wouldn’t let it factor into my TV purchase. Probably won’t see good support until next console generation. Way I see it is we haven’t had that kind of feature in the past 20 years so while awesome I wouldn’t worry about it unless it’s something you must have.

If your gonna PC game on the TV I might consider it more important.

For what it’s worth, I am a gamer and I didn’t let the 900Fs lack of the feature stop me.
Thanks for the reply.. i guess i will go with x900f.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Just got this TV, but I am having trouble getting ARC activated.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Gave up on the TCL R617. Three sets later and still having issues so I decided to order a X900f. Should be here by Friday hopefully.

Going to be replacing a KS8000 in the game room and once I sell that and I'm satisfied with the X900f I'll buy a second one to replace the OLED in the Bedroom and move that to the living room.

Ordered the 55 inch btw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally had my X900F 75inch delivered. Configured in Game Mode through my Denon AVR-S920W. Upgraded from a 65 inch Samsung F8000

Some Pros and Cons after using the set for two weeks and making sure to upgrade my HDMI cables for 4k 60fps HDR.

Pros:

-4k video looks great, even in Youtube from my gaming PC.
-Low Input Lag for PS4 Pro and PC
-Set can get really bright, regardless of lighting condition.
-Nice picture quality upgrade from previous set, far larger color spectrum than previous sets

Cons:
-Android interface is sluggish and slow
-HDR is extremely dim (very very dark), tested with several PS4 games, Last of US, Monster Hunter World, So far, I prefer the look of games without HDR
-I cannot figure out how to properly get PS4 to display 4K RGB, I get an error in PS4 that the game can support a higher quality 4K
-Same issue with PC games, I cannot get 4K to display at 60 FPS with full color range in nVidia settings (GTX 1080 TI)
-Local Dimming Settings, even on low make the picture look WAY TOO BRIGHT when there is white on the screen, even if there is only a little bit of white, such as the menus, I hate the sudden jump in brightness, this can be blindingly bright, have to turn this off.
-Having a hard time seeing a big difference for PC gaming from 1080p to 4k, looks almost the same to me(video looks great)

Not sure what is up with games looking so dark in HDR. I also tried HDR on Windows 10, and its almost as if the screen darkness went to the lowest settings, just like PS4.

Last issue I am having is that I can force 4k 60 FPS, but, the TV does something strange with the black levels. Suddenly anything that is black looks grey, all blacks levels lost. (Think a Title for a video game against a back background) The black levels are so bad, I have to set all the HDMI and Color Settings to AUTO to have black levels that are not grey. This corrects the issue, but then I cannot change the settings in nVidia panels to "Full" for the color range.

·
Registered
118 Posts
VRR helps with any screen tearing between variable frames per second and the frequency of the panel.

Had a PS4 Pro running on my 930e didn't experience any screen tearing. Given it back I'm back on my PS4 (also have Xbox One S).

PC gaming rigs probably more important but if you don't have an AMD GPU its not going to happen.

VRR is not high on my list of priorities for gaming.

Maybe when HDMI 2.1 is more prevalent it will become a staple feature.

881 - 900 of 12372 Posts