AVS Forum banner

12481 - 12500 of 12744 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
So should I update to the new firmware on my x900f? Just saw a prompt that an update was available. Sounds promising from the couple posts above.

Have there been any reported bugs/issues or anything to be concerned about?

·
Registered
546 Posts
So should I update to the new firmware on my x900f? Just saw a prompt that an update was available. Sounds promising from the couple posts above.

I’ve not seen any bugs but then again I’ve only had one hiccup with ARC that was easily fixed on my receiver by turning off hdmi control and turning it back on. I’d say update and check it out!! Now I’m just wanting Android 9.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BillsFan4

·
Registered
158 Posts
I’ve not seen any bugs but then again I’ve only had one hiccup with ARC that was easily fixed on my receiver by turning off hdmi control and turning it back on. I’d say update and check it out!! Now I’m just wanting Android 9.0

Thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Everyone is “having issues” with DV. A firmware update crippled the brightness compared to the shipping firmware and a few others. I updated mine right out of the box and didn’t realize how bad it really was until I saw a non-updated set. Anyway, I’ll update later when everyone goes to bed as my Wife will freak out without her trashy reality tv . My 85X900F still is showing the old firmware as current. If it doesn’t find it, I’ll go via USB.

"Everyone" is not having issues with dv on this tv. Better to say you are having issues. I personally think it's fine as I've mentioned on many occasions. Now I might have a different opinion once the new update takes effect since I understand that there is a noticeable brightness improvement. I will give my Mea culpa then.

·
Registered
546 Posts
"Everyone" is not having issues with dv on this tv. Better to say you are having issues. I personally think it's fine as I've mentioned on many occasions. Now I might have a different opinion once the new update takes effect since I understand that there is a noticeable brightness improvement. I will give my Mea culpa then.
I for one wasn’t complaining. I just noticed DV wasn’t that impressive compared to other sets. Especially this was magnified when I saw the 900F on earlier firmware. Having said this, if you go back to my posts about this a few months ago, I was saying my HDR on the built in YouTube app has always looked phenomenal and bright. It’s even brighter now!! Everyone who has the latest firmware had crippled DV. That’s a plain and simple fact. It’s ones perception as to if they find it “a problem” or not. I’m don’t with this topic. Focusing on the new firmware and its performance.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Fair enough. Will report my finding once I get the update. Funny. I've been able in the past to do in with a USB. Now the last 2 updates including this one are not working through USB. The tv does not recognize the data is there. So I've been successful twice and failed to do it twice.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I updated my x900f last night. So far I don't see any differences. DV on Netflix using the native app has always looked good and still does. DV on Netflix using my Shield Pro or Fire Stick 4k has always looked dim in comparison and still does. If I turn off the DV on the Shield Pro then the HDR10 looks pretty much the same as the native x900f Netflix app in DV.

Note: As I was writing this the TV locked up completely for the first time ever and I had to unplug it to get it to restart. Never had to do that before. After the restart it still seemed a little sluggish but seems ok now after a second restart. I don't know what that was all about. I've read that sometimes people have to do a factory reset after updating. I hope it doesn't come to that.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I updated my x900f last night. So far I don't see any differences. DV on Netflix using the native app has always looked good and still does. DV on Netflix using my Shield Pro or Fire Stick 4k has always looked dim in comparison and still does. If I turn off the DV on the Shield Pro then the HDR10 looks pretty much the same as the native x900f Netflix app in DV.

Note: As I was writing this the TV locked up completely for the first time ever and I had to unplug it to get it to restart. Never had to do that before. After the restart it still seemed a little sluggish but seems ok now after a second restart. I don't know what that was all about. I've read that sometimes people have to do a factory reset after updating. I hope it doesn't come to that.
I updated mine via USB since my cell would not find it over the air. I did notice that once it came back up after the update it was extremely sluggish. It wasn’t until I got the confirmation message that the update was completed and I could remove the USB drive that the TVs response then came back. There’s always a probability with having to do a factory reset after an update with any kind a device that takes updates to the operating system, but I don’t see you having to do that I think this was a freak occurrence and things were still getting situated. It very well could be placebo And nothing did get improved as far as brightness, but the fact other people are reporting that it has improved has me thinking that it is definitely brighter. Sorry for the run-on sentences, I’m using voice to text as I’m in the car.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I updated mine via USB since my cell would not find it over the air. I did notice that once it came back up after the update it was extremely sluggish. It wasn’t until I got the confirmation message that the update was completed and I could remove the USB drive that the TVs response then came back. There’s always a probability with having to do a factory reset after an update with any kind a device that takes updates to the operating system, but I don’t see you having to do that I think this was a freak occurrence and things were still getting situated. It very well could be placebo And nothing did get improved as far as brightness, but the fact other people are reporting that it has improved has me thinking that it is definitely brighter. Sorry for the run-on sentences, I’m using voice to text as I’m in the car.

My TV did the sluggish thing immediately after updating last night also. I think I restarted it and it was fine after that until it locked up an hour ago.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've had this TV since its release, before Dolby Vision was added. Ever since it was added, DV on the internal Netflix app has been consistently good through all firmware updates -- certainly not "crippled". Anyway, I also updated to 6.6575 and there is no change.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've had this TV since its release, before Dolby Vision was added. Ever since it was added, DV on the internal Netflix app has been consistently good through all firmware updates -- certainly not "crippled". Anyway, I also updated to 6.6575 and there is no change.
I think it just comes down to perception as I find it too curious that this thread is plagued with complaints of DV being broken and just a handful if that of people saying it's good. Honestly I'm over it personally and am just enjoying the TV and gaming on it. Currently playing Death Stranding on PS4 Pro and it looks fantastic. I can't wait for my PS5 to get here.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Although updates are infrequent on older models, and this could very well be the last for the Z9D and F line sets, it's always good practice to do a power reboot (holding the remote power button down) after an update.

My Z9D got the update through the internet, the 900F didn't, so I used a USB. Turns out my Sony soundbar also had an available update. I always hold my breath when I insert the flash drive.

·
Vendor
27,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,493
Oh sure, let him try it out first :) .... lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hoping someone here can help me out. I'm having two issues with this TV (firmware was updated last week before the 10/6 update). They may be related, but I'm not entirely sure.

First issue is NVIDIA Shield TV 2019 has issues when Dolby Vision is enabled. The Shield is connected to a Pioneer VSX-LX303 AVR (latest firmware), which is then connected HDMI 3. I had this issue previously and fixed it by changing to a shorter cable (8 ft to 6 ft) that connects the AVR to the TV, but it has been months since I saw the problem so not sure why it's re-appeared. I've connected the shield directly to the TV on HDMI 2 with a 6ft cable and the issue doesn't appear to be present (at least during my short testing of <2 hours). I will test connecting the AVR to HDMI 2, but would like to use the ARC setting if possible.

The second issue is with trying to use an original xbox (I've completely bypassed the AVR to ensure it's not that causing the problems). I have the original microsoft hd component cables and attempted to use a component to hdmi adapater. The adapter works, but not with this TV. Some games have a flicker setting built in which apparently helped the games display nicely on CRT TVs. I think this is causing problems with this TV. The signal may be shown briefly, but then the TV will go black for several seconds. The screen may come back for a brief second, but then back to black. I also have an original xbox to HDMI adapter, and the results are the same. The signal is fine in some dashboards, but there's no way to control the resolution in game. I've tried every possible display setting on the TV with no improvement. Has anyone successfully connected an original xbox to this TV.

·
Registered
421 Posts

No issues/problems noted after update.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just noticed a picture quality change after the latest update. Maybe others can confirm. I'm using Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 plugged into ARC. Playing any content on the shield either through netflix or amazon prime video (non-HDR content) i noticed a strange blooming effect with darks, especially noticeable when the picture would cut from different cameras during a scene. It seems like they significantly bumped up the strength of auto local dimming which i have always had set to Medium. When i lowered it to "low" the issue has now resolved.

·
Registered
109 Posts
How would I know if I am on the latest firmware? I keep checking, but it states I am current.

Also, I am one of the people that has a love/hate relationship with this tv regarding Dolby Vision. Netflix is a prime suspect for this. There are some shows that look good with DV and some (Haunting of Hill House) that are atrocious. Buuuuuuuut, there is a small remedy to this. When using a firestick, DV is garbage with Netflix, but if you use the internal apps on the Sony, you will find a much more enjoyable experience with Dolby Vision. My only gripe with this, is that in order to achieve a decent DV picture through the internal app, you really need to fiddle with the DV picture settings. Also, atmos doesn't work with Netflix through a firestick, but I am sure most knew that.

What is crazy to me is that when comparing a 1080p still from Haunting of Hill House to a DV still, there are times when the 1080p looks much better. Don't even get me started with the Haunting of Bly Manor's picture quality.

·
Registered
546 Posts
How would I know if I am on the latest firmware? I keep checking, but it states I am current.

Also, I am one of the people that has a love/hate relationship with this tv regarding Dolby Vision. Netflix is a prime suspect for this. There are some shows that look good with DV and some (Haunting of Hill House) that are atrocious. Buuuuuuuut, there is a small remedy to this. When using a firestick, DV is garbage with Netflix, but if you use the internal apps on the Sony, you will find a much more enjoyable experience with Dolby Vision. My only gripe with this, is that in order to achieve a decent DV picture through the internal app, you really need to fiddle with the DV picture settings. Also, atmos doesn't work with Netflix through a firestick, but I am sure most knew that.

What is crazy to me is that when comparing a 1080p still from Haunting of Hill House to a DV still, there are times when the 1080p looks much better. Don't even get me started with the Haunting of Bly Manor's picture quality.
Press help on the remote. When the screen loads on the top right hand side it’ll show the model number and firmware version of your set

Reactions: NTC

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi,
I love my 900F LED TV, but the black levels of my games (ps4 pro) doesn't convince me too much.
I mean the HDR black levels.
SDR black levels are great in that LED in my opinion.
I don't need the 'infinite black' of the OLED, i don't play games in a dark room and i use bias light behind the screen.
But in many games i don't like too much the 'blacks' when i play in HDR.
They are too much bright or too much 'gray' sometimes, like the gamma is too high or something like that.
What do you think about it?
I ask because i love my LED tv but i really don't understand why black levels in HDR games (not always but very often) doesn't convince me too much...
I have tried to set local dimming to high (but i prefer medium) and x-tendend dynamic range to high (but i prefer low or even off..with off the HDR is much less 'punchy, but black levels are better).

I really don't know if with ps5 and nextgen games something will change in HDR black levels of games.

12481 - 12500 of 12744 Posts