AVS Forum banner

12541 - 12560 of 12573 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Anyone else know why Disney plus in HDR is dark on this TV's native app? Any suggestions.

Was watching Aladdin and the colors seemed very muted and dark
Firmware updated? As mentioned posts back I am others saw an improvement in DV with the recent firmware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
535 Posts
So is the consensus to update or not? I assume one can skip the update if you want to.
I for one say update as I personally got a benefit and improvement in my HDR and Dolby Vision brightness. Yes, you can skip. Turn off automatic updates and you’ll be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bjfoien

·
Registered
995 Posts
I think DV is better than before, so I would update FW. any improvement on DV on this tv is a good sign as TV was too dim in DV to point it was better to turn of DV. increasing gamma didn't help me but for some people it did. I am more sensitive to black levels as I have owned mostly plasmas and have OLED also as main tv. my Sony Z9F black are better also. 77 OLEDs prices are very attractive now, definitely under 3K next year.

Reactions: FlavioWolff

·
Registered
56 Posts
DV on this TV is very dim, even at a dark room, and the blooming is absolutely horrid and distracting, to the point of me preferring to turn off local dimming. It's not a TV for Dolby Vision viewing.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
2 questions....

Is there a way to turn of Auto DV on the native apps?

Can you force HDR 10 instead of DV for DV content?

I opened the Disney+ App to the Main screen and turned off HDR. I then opened Aladdin but it automatically kicked over to Dolby Vision despite turning it off in the tv picture menu.

On the flip side if I set HDR to hdr10 will dv content play in hdr10?

I played around with some Netflix content that was just pure 4K ultra such as Life of pets 2 which is an HDR and the colors are incredible.

I believe also with HDR 10 content you can change it's a different setting such as vivid HDR 10. Is that accurate?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
DV on this TV is very dim, even at a dark room, and the blooming is absolutely horrid and distracting, to the point of me preferring to turn off local dimming. It's not a TV for Dolby Vision viewing.
the dim problem hasn't been an issue for me and the blooming has barely been noticeable. I have other DV/LED sets that exhibit way worse symptoms, especially relating to blooming.

·
Registered
56 Posts
the dim problem hasn't been an issue for me and the blooming has barely been noticeable. I have other DV/LED sets that exhibit way worse symptoms, especially relating to blooming.
For each it's own. My other set is an OLED, and that may be biasing my opinions. I'm sorry for choosing a harsh word.

2 questions....

I opened the Disney+ App to the Main screen and turned off HDR. I then opened Aladdin but it automatically kicked over to Dolby Vision despite turning it off in the tv picture menu.

I played around with some Netflix content that was just pure 4K ultra such as Life of pets 2 which is an HDR and the colors are incredible.

I believe also with HDR 10 content you can change it's a different setting such as vivid HDR 10. Is that accurate?
Not on Netflix, sadly. You must reduce your subscription to "hd" and settle with plain 1080p SDR. No pure 4k option.

I've heard, tho, that when you pair the TV with a bluetooth audio device, DV is also disabled - probably a bug, but maybe worth exploring if you have a bluetooth soundbar or such.

·
Registered
317 Posts
2 questions....

Roku stick doesn't support dv, if your interested in that route.

Cheers

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have noticed if movies are in HDR I can change settings on my Oppo 203 and it makes Picture brighter, no such luck when movie is in DV

·
Registered
995 Posts
Blooming is kind of OK on this tv as compared to other Samsung/SONY TVs I have seen, I think this is big flaw in LED TVs over all for dark room viewing, even most expensive sets are plagued with this issue. adding BIAS lighting helps a bit, to watch tv in dark OLED is only option, all other options not good, it depend how sensitive one is.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Sony and Samsung moving to 8K now with their better quality/ flag ship model, 8K only make sense for 85 or bigger model. 65 is for most people is the best size, for larger room maybe 75, 85 will be niche product for a while at 3-4K price point. I think 8K will be 4-6 years away as main stream product. If OLED price is same as for LED it will hard sell for LED. the only main reason I got 75 inch LED was price, delta was almost 4k between OLED and LED at 75 inch 3 years ago, it would be hard business case to sell 8K 85 inch sets at OLED prices of 77 inch. 77 inch OLED has beautiful PQ. I would upgrade next year hopefully.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just got an Apple TV 4K and hooked it up to HDMI 4. When I try to set it to Dolby Vision, I get the message “Apple TV switched your TV to its previous format. Make sure any HDMI cables and device as you connect support Dolby Vision“. 4K looks beautiful though. is the problem that the HDMI cable isn’t compatible, or is it a setting on the Sony TV?

also, if I do need to get a new HDMI cable, can someone recommend one on Amazon? There’s so many of them. This one looks like it would do a good job....

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
You need to connect apple 4k to HDMI 3 or number 2. They are the only 2 that support full 4k signal.
All ports will accept a 30FPS 4K DV signal if you turn on enhanced mode. Ports 2/3 will be required if a 60FPS 4K signal is required.

Reactions: naustin
12541 - 12560 of 12573 Posts