AVS Forum banner

12561 - 12580 of 12726 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
That was the problem. When I plugged the Apple TV in to port 2 I could enable Dolby Vision. I have to say that I didn’t like it at all. Way too dark. I think I’ll just stick with 4K unless someone here can point me to the proper settings for Apple TV and our 900F TVs To balance out content on Netflix and other streaming apps where ultra 4K and Dolby Vision both look good. I know there has to be some sort of solution.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
That was the problem. When I plugged the Apple TV in to port 2 I could enable Dolby Vision. I have to say that I didn’t like it at all. Way too dark. I think I’ll just stick with 4K unless someone here can point me to the proper settings for Apple TV and our 900F TVs To balance out content on Netflix and other streaming apps where ultra 4K and Dolby Vision both look good. I know there has to be some sort of solution.
Set the ATV4K to 4K SDR with both matching frame rate and matching range enabled. This will play content as SDR by default. HDR10 and Dolby Vision will automatically switch on when the content dictates it to (this is what the matching range feature accomplishes)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Set the ATV4K to 4K SDR with both matching frame rate and matching range enabled. This will play content as SDR by default. HDR10 and Dolby Vision will automatically switch on when the content dictates it to (this is what the matching range feature accomplishes)
Thank you for the tip. I’ll try that today. Any suggestions on settings for the TV? Does everything just stay on auto like HDR mode, HDMI video range And color space In the advanced settings?

·
Vendor
27,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,564
Sony and Samsung moving to 8K now with their better quality/ flag ship model, 8K only make sense for 85 or bigger model.
Samsung 8K do not seem to be better then the Samsung 4K. However in the Sony lineup the Z8H are the best for sure, although the 900H and 950H are no slouches.....

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Thank you for the tip. I’ll try that today. Any suggestions on settings for the TV? Does everything just stay on auto like HDR mode, HDMI video range And color space In the advanced settings?
I'd check the 900F settings thread for recommended settings. Personally I leave all HDR/DV settings at default

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello friends, I have attempted to download the latest firmware update by way of WiFi internet (which I’ve done before with other updates). This time though after 3 separate try’s at about 50-70 % download each time I get a error message stating “cannot find link please check cable ,error 0000”. Have any of you experienced this situation? I’m baffled this hasn’t happened to me before. I’ve never downloaded an update via usb flash drive but I’m wondering if this is my only option. Been very pleased with the performance of my XBR 75X900F since 7/2019. Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I’m also having a problem with the update. The TV says it’s downloaded but that I have to turn off my TV and then it will install when I turn it back on. I’ve restarted my TV,I’ve held down the power on the remote to turn off and I’ve unplugged for several minutes and plugged back in. The TV boots up normally and doesn’t install the software. I’ve taken out any attached USB ports and it doesn’t help either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
37 Posts
This morning my TV will not turn on. It's just looping. I've unplugged it for several minutes, then when I plug it back in, it starts up. I hear a click, and see the screen come on. It goes to the Sony screen, then moves onto the Google animation where it stays for four seconds loading, then another click sound as it turns back off. It's just repeating this process.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Update on the Update 😎; After going into settings and disconnecting from WiFi I reconnected to WiFi. Then I attempted to download the latest software and this time it was successful👍🏼. Apparently the previous WiFi connection was unstable causing it to drop out sporadically. I’m hopeful that an already good TV be may be even better now. Hope this info is helpful to others. Stay safe and well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This was a great tip and solved all of my issues. One question, Is there a reason to set it to 4K SDR as opposed to 4K HDR? Will it still switch automatically when the content dictates? The reason I ask is that if it’s set to 4K SDR, does the Apple TV itself not display in HDR things like screensaver and that sort of thing?

Update.... I tried the 4K HDR setting and it does switch with the content on Netflix but there’s a “lag” (like a second blank screen) when you and one program and go back to the main menu. Maybe that’s because it has to switch from 4K HDR (or Dolby vision) back to SDR or whatever. I think 4K SDR is the answer with the Apole TV As you suggested.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
This was a great tip and solved all of my issues. One question, Is there a reason to set it to 4K SDR as opposed to 4K HDR? Will it still switch automatically when the content dictates? The reason I ask is that if it’s set to 4K SDR, does the Apple TV itself not display in HDR things like screensaver and that sort of thing?

Update.... I tried the 4K HDR setting and it does switch with the content on Netflix but there’s a “lag” (like a second blank screen) when you and one program and go back to the main menu. Maybe that’s because it has to switch from 4K HDR (or Dolby vision) back to SDR or whatever. I think 4K SDR is the answer with the Apole TV As you suggested.
Setting it to 4K HDR means HDR is the default mode. Which means it will force HDR on SDR content, which is not a good thing if you care about accuracy. Setting it to 4K SDR means SDR is the default output, but the matching range setting will invoke HDR10/Dolby Vision when applicable.

The only disadvantage is if you want the menus and screensavers in HDR, they will display in SDR

·
Registered
211 Posts

So the reason you set it to 4K SDR instead of 4K HDR is that not all media apps on the system are using the flags for Match Dynamic Range. An app may be just using SDR for its content, like YouTubeTV for example, but won't be flagged for SDR on the backend, however that works. If you set the system to HDR and use match range, it'll be in HDR by default, and any media app that's SDR and isn't utilizing the matching feature will now output that SDR remapped to weird, inaccurate HDR.

Setting the system to SDR means those kinds of apps will properly display in SDR, and only when the system is outputting an HDR signal will it switch to HDR. It just means all content will be accurately displayed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
So the reason you set it to 4K SDR instead of 4K HDR is that not all media apps on the system are using the flags for Match Dynamic Range. An app may be just using SDR for its content, like YouTubeTV for example, but won't be flagged for SDR on the backend, however that works. If you set the system to HDR and use match range, it'll be in HDR by default, and any media app that's SDR and isn't utilizing the matching feature will now output that SDR remapped to weird, inaccurate HDR.

Setting the system to SDR means those kinds of apps will properly display in SDR, and only when the system is outputting an HDR signal will it switch to HDR. It just means all content will be accurately displayed.
Thanks. 4K SDR looks like it’s definitely the right setting. About the only thing that I notice that’s different between the Apple 4K and the Apple HD TV I had before is that when I switch content on an app like Netflix, there is a brief second blank screen. It happens when I start a show or exit one and go back to the main menu. I’m guessing that it’s just the Apple TV communicating the proper video mode to the Sony and really has nothing to do with the settings on either the apple or the TV itself.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks. 4K SDR looks like it’s definitely the right setting. About the only thing that I notice that’s different between the Apple 4K and the Apple HD TV I had before is that when I switch content on an app like Netflix, there is a brief second blank screen. It happens when I start a show or exit one and go back to the main menu. I’m guessing that it’s just the Apple TV communicating the proper video mode to the Sony and really has nothing to do with the settings on either the apple or the TV itself.
Yup, that's just the AppleTV/TV switching refresh rates or dynamic range. Nothing to be done about it until upgrading to HDMI 2.1 devices with Quick Media Switching, which should minimize or remove the blank screen in those instances.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Do any of the 3 USB ports power on only when the TV is turned on? I just hooked up a new set of LED bias lights to USB2 and they went on without the TV turned on. I want the port to be dead until I power up.

A second question. My question above may have been asked before but I couldn't find a prompt that said "Seach this thread". Is this prompt hidden somewhere on this new forum software. I found Advanced Search but it doesn't have the ability to go to individual threads.

·
Registered
289 Posts
No they do not shut off. I have mine running through harmony which turns them off. Sony remote might do the same thing. As I suggested to another poster. I recently purchased a 4 pack of smart switches and hooked up my table lamps to Alexa. In the very near future I plan on getting smart dimmers for the pot lights. This way I have complete control of my lighting with a simple voice command.
Regards Rich

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
No they do not shut off. I have mine running through harmony which turns them off. Sony remote might do the same thing. As I suggested to another poster. I recently purchased a 4 pack of smart switches and hooked up my table lamps to Alexa. In the very near future I plan on getting smart dimmers for the pot lights. This way I have complete control of my lighting with a simple voice command.
Regards Rich
Thanks for the info. Guess I need to use the remote that came with it. I was hoping to avoid that.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Has anyone had issues with brief audio dropouts using TV apps and ARC? Every few minutes the sound will drop out for a second. It seems to have started shortly after the most recent update, but that could just be a coincidence. If I change the Dolby setting on the TV to Dolby Digital rather than Dolby Digital Plus, it seems to fix it, but then I'm not using the full capability of my system.

This is with an Onkyo TX-NR787.

Thanks, all.

12561 - 12580 of 12726 Posts