AVS Forum banner

12921 - 12940 of 12977 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Did you do a recent firmware update by chance?
I updated possibly in November, but nothing recently. I have not found any procedure that works to get it to boot up. It looks like these came with a 1yr warranty and my credit card adds another year, but unfortunately I bought it 2.5 years ago. I'm looking on Rtings right now for a possible replacement like the 900H possibly.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
I updated possibly in November, but nothing recently. I have not found any procedure that works to get it to boot up. It looks like these came with a 1yr warranty and my credit card adds another year, but unfortunately I bought it 2.5 years ago. I'm looking on Rtings right now for a possible replacement like the 900H possibly.

Other owners have reported that the latest firmware sends them into a reboot loop. Yours seems to be a different problem but I'd try asking Sony to fix it. The latest firmware did come out in November btw.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Other owners have reported that the latest firmware sends them into a reboot loop. Yours seems to be a different problem but I'd try asking Sony to fix it. The latest firmware did come out in November btw.
Thanks for the suggestion. Did the reboot loop happen as soon as the firmware was updated, or did it happen sometime later?

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. Did the reboot loop happen as soon as the firmware was updated, or did it happen sometime later?

It hasn't happened for me so I can't answer that. Not sure how long it was for other owners that were affected. You could try reading back in this thread. Some were able to get Sony to replace parts, although I don't know if it was under warranty.

·
Registered
81 Posts
hi guys!
I had the 75" wall mounted for a while now, but the new house will require that I get a stand. since the dimensions of our tv is a bit wonky with the angled feet...can you guys help take a look at this stand for compatibility?

the tv will sit directly on the stand itself (im not using the mount thingy). below will be my center channel speaker, AVR, etc. thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
hi guys!
I had the 75" wall mounted for a while now, but the new house will require that I get a stand. since the dimensions of our tv is a bit wonky with the angled feet...can you guys help take a look at this stand for compatibility?

the tv will sit directly on the stand itself (im not using the mount thingy). below will be my center channel speaker, AVR, etc. thanks for the help!
The feet of the stand are 54.5 inches apart. You should be good

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is there a way to have ARC via hdmi without Bravia sync enabled? The sync is what makes my AVR turn on randomly. I had disabled the hdmi control turn off feature with tv and came home to find my AVR on and warm.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there a way to have ARC via hdmi without Bravia sync enabled?
Sorry no, this is the biggest bug bear of the Sony products.
They should have CEC & ARC separated so you can choose which you want implemented.
In my AVR I can have CEC On/Off and ARC On/Off - so can selected what I want as all my gear is controlled by a Harmony 650 remote. However, as soon as you turn off CEC and switch the TV off then once you switch the TV back on you don't get any high quality audio via ARC sometimes just PCM and in some cases nothing at all.
Why Oh Why is it so Hard to have selections in the menus for what you want switched On or Off !!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
:mad: Looks like I'm SOL. Nothing I can do will get the TV to power up. Sony support chat support had no additional troubleshooting steps and basically said take it to a service center at my expense. Of course I'm 7 months past my credit card 1 year extended warranty. It does not seem to be a common issue or I would have thought I would have seen more posts here. I'm hoping Costco has some super bowl deals on the X90CH with a 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
589 Posts
:mad: Looks like I'm SOL. Nothing I can do will get the TV to power up. Sony support chat support had no additional troubleshooting steps and basically said take it to a service center at my expense. Of course I'm 7 months past my credit card 1 year extended warranty. It does not seem to be a common issue or I would have thought I would have seen more posts here. I'm hoping Costco has some super bowl deals on the X90CH with a 5 year warranty.
Odds are that's a bad power supply which is sold as a complete module. Anyone who is halfway handy and can watch a youtube video can change it out,

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Your Sony TV died 7 months past warranty expiration and you are going to buy another one?

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Odds are that's a bad power supply which is sold as a complete module. Anyone who is halfway handy and can watch a youtube video can change it out,
Thanks for the nudge. I looked up a few videos and found one on eBay for $50, so I'm going to give it a try. I had not looked inside of a modern flat panel before. It makes sense everything is spread out and easy to access as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Your Sony TV died 7 months past warranty expiration and you are going to buy another one?

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
I was really happy with the picture quality of the 900f and it seems like a fluke, but it did cross my mind to make a change. A new 5yr warranty helps too. I'm going to try a new power supply board in this one first before giving up.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Thanks for the nudge. I looked up a few videos and found one on eBay for $50, so I'm going to give it a try. I had not looked inside of a modern flat panel before. It makes sense everything is spread out and easy to access as far as I can tell.
There is a lot of unoccupied real estate inside flat panels. This is a full shot of the innards of my 900A in 2013, when the TV was modified to add the 4K Media player. All the boards and major components are easily accessible.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
I’m finding the ARC scenario very hard to understand with all the settings you have to set correctly, both on the 900F and the AVR. My receiver happens to be a new Denon. I’m wondering if there is a posted set of settings for this(these) functions that I can refer to. Maybe there is an article on the web that covers it in detail? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m finding the ARC scenario very hard to understand with all the settings you have to set correctly, both on the 900F and the AVR.
For the moment ignore CEC and just concentrate on getting the HDMI Audio and Video to work correctly.

Connect AVR HDMI out (eARC/ARC) to X900F HDMI In (HDMI 3, ARC)
Connect all your devices to the relevant input on the Denon e.g. Bluray, Streaming Box, PVR etc.
In the Denon set your HDMI inputs & output to be Enhanced, this will enable 4K across all connected devices
In the Denon set your HDMI output to Enable eARC/ARC
In the X900F set BraviaSync to On and then go to the Connected devices sub menu and do a search for devices but do not enable them for CEC
Restart both devices by power Off, wait a few min and then power On - both should sync with each other

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
I’m finding the ARC scenario very hard to understand with all the settings you have to set correctly, both on the 900F and the AVR. My receiver happens to be a new Denon. I’m wondering if there is a posted set of settings for this(these) functions that I can refer to. Maybe there is an article on the web that covers it in detail? Any help would be appreciated.
I have my 900F running to a Denon 4400H AVR and here are the settings that work for me:

AVR: HDMI Control On, TV audio switching on, Power Off control all, Smart Menu On
900F: Speakers Audio system

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
My Marantz AVR and Sony 900F are set exactly the same as PlanetAVS. This has worked perfectly since I set it up 2+ years ago. Turn on the TV, it turns on the AVR, sets the audio to external speakers and the AVR triggers the power amp to turn on. Turn off the TV everything goes off. It is all controlled by my FireTV 4K Stick remote.

12921 - 12940 of 12977 Posts