AVS Forum banner

12961 - 12980 of 12998 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Originally, Disney+ Atmos was supposed to work on the 2018 Sony TVs. That actually played into my decision to buy the 900f. To my knowledge, though, Atmos from Disney+ has never worked on the TV's native App.
I can't even get Dolby 5.1 (AC3) using the internal Disney+ app with my 900F connected to a receiver via optical (receiver only supports up to HDMI 1.2a).

I get 5.1 with Netflix and Amazon Prime without any fuss, but very annoyingly not with Disney+ which only gives 2 channel PCM over optical.

·
Registered
460 Posts
When checking out the software and about me page, I noticed the following:
  • Device Name is stated as XBR-65X900F, indicating that this was recognized as a 65" tv, even though I have a 55" (XBR-55X900F). Will this be a potential problem or a concern in the future when it comes to firmware updates (I understand it is just a name, but I would have expected it to be picked up correctly as XBR-55X900F)?
  • The Kernel Version is: 4.9.125 #1 Mon Oct 12 21:22:22 JST 2020, is this accurate for a 55X900F?
  • Build Version: BRAVIA_ATV3_4K_UC-user 9 PTT1.190515.001.S38 671401 release-keys, is this also accurate for a 55X900F?
  • The Serial Number is not getting recognized by the Android Firmware, is this expected? Shouldn't the firmware be burned in/entered after flashing the board?

Really appreciate the suggestions from everyone here so far, going to hold off on any updates and just connect other devices to it for now until more stable firmwares are released. I do hope everyone gets their issues resolved, this updated firmware obviously has some flaws.
You can change the device name in the settings.
The firmware for the 55 is the same firmware for the 65 inch version. Those version numbers are correct.
The serial number should have been entered by the tech, but it is not a big deal as it is on the back plate of the TV.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Sony is sure slow to either PULL the latest FW or issue an update FW fixing all these reported issues....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bjfoien

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the nudge. I looked up a few videos and found one on eBay for $50, so I'm going to give it a try. I had not looked inside of a modern flat panel before. It makes sense everything is spread out and easy to access as far as I can tell.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Update: I replaced the power board with no change unfortunately.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
With this new update, now my Home screen reverts to vivid or standard picture mode. With Nougat and Oreo, when I switch to the Home screen, it would generally stay on the last picture mode of the source I last used, and for me that's always been either Expert 1 or 2. I do not have, or use vivid or standard picture mode on any source or app.

Anyone else seeing this, or has a solution?

Edit: Got it fixed. Had to sign into Google Play store and adjust picture settings while in that app. It carried over to the Home screen
Which app did you use to adjust the picture settings? Was it found in Google Play Store or on your TV?
I would like to try the same fix.
Having the TV switch to Vivid when going to the home screen is REALLY annoying!

Thanks!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Which app did you use to adjust the picture settings? Was it found in Google Play Store or on your TV?
I would like to try the same fix.
Having the TV switch to Vivid when going to the home screen is REALLY annoying!

Thanks!
I adjusted the picture settings while in Google Play Store, and it kept the settings going back to the Home screen.

Reactions: naustin

·
Registered
845 Posts
Wondering is there's something I can do to fix this issue with a ATT TV box and my Sony 900F tv.

Heres the issue...

I use ATT TV as my cable tv service and they use a Android box to stream tv channels and the issue is that this box outputs EVERYTHING in HDR. I mean everything. Its a problem that many have asked to get fixed and they haven't done so yet.

So when I'm watching anything on tv whether it be the local news or something on the Science channel, the Sony TV sees that the input signal from the ATT TV box is HDR and automatically accepts the signal and uses HDR settings. It kinda looks bad, bearable but still bad.

I use my Marantz 8805 as a A/V switcher for my ATT TV box and a AppleTV 4K. Can I set up the Sony 900F to turn off AUTO HDR for JUST the ATT TV input but have it on AUTO for all other sources?

This has really been baffling me about how to fix this. If this is something you guys know what I can do to fix this then what other picture settings should I use?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey folks, I've had my X900F for over a year now and have it setup to a Sony STR-DN1040 with all inputs going into the AVR and the AVR outputting to HDMI2. In order to get the streaming apps (Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+) to pipe to my AVR, I've run an optical cable from the X900F to the STR-DN1040.

Just fiddling and testing with the settings and I realized that all the native apps on the TV (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+) are all outputting only 2.0 to the receiver through the optical. I've tried almost every setting on the TV and can't get it to send the 5.1 to the AVR.

I've tested with all my other devices (XBox, PS4, HTPC) and thos are all working, but the optical from the TV seems to only be sending 2.0. At my wits end trying to figure it out, does anyone know what could be the issue? The only thing I can think of is a faulty optical cable (from Monoprice), but not easily tested/replaced, because my optical is running over 50 feet to a differnt location int the house.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Sony XBR-65X900F, Yamaha RX-V385 AV Receiver, Sony UBP-X700 4K Blu-ray player, Xfinity XG1v4-4K STB
146 Posts
Hey folks, I've had my X900F for over a year now and have it setup to a Sony STR-DN1040 with all inputs going into the AVR and the AVR outputting to HDMI2. In order to get the streaming apps (Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+) to pipe to my AVR, I've run an optical cable from the X900F to the STR-DN1040.

Just fiddling and testing with the settings and I realized that all the native apps on the TV (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+) are all outputting only 2.0 to the receiver through the optical. I've tried almost every setting on the TV and can't get it to send the 5.1 to the AVR.

I've tested with all my other devices (XBox, PS4, HTPC) and thos are all working, but the optical from the TV seems to only be sending 2.0. At my wits end trying to figure it out, does anyone know what could be the issue? The only thing I can think of is a faulty optical cable (from Monoprice), but not easily tested/replaced, because my optical is running over 50 feet to a differnt location int the house.

I use the apps on the 900f but do so by using ARC over HDMI back to my AVR. I’m not positive but I don’t think optical supports the latest formats from Dolby and DTS but it should be at least pushing 5.1 albeit an older version with compression loss. I did have to upgrade my HDMI cable for ARC from a top of the line from Monoprice to a Pearl brand from Crutchfield. That solved all the issues I had been having.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Not sure if you've given ARC a chance or what but I've been using it since I got the TV and although it was rough at first when I first bought the tv and got better as time went however since the very latest update this thing is near perfect.

Now granted I turn my Sony tv on first for about 10 seconds before anything else gets powered on.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Not sure if you've given ARC a chance or what but I've been using it since I got the TV and although it was rough at first when I first bought the tv and got better as time went however since the very latest update this thing is near perfect.

Now granted I turn my Sony tv on first for about 10 seconds before anything else gets powered on.
How funny, mine broke with the latest update and was flawless prior to that. I got it fixed, but just funny as it’s exact opposite of your experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am using Plex app on the TV to play the movies on my XBR-55X900F. All 4K SDR and HDR/HDR10 movies play fine. However, the newer James Bond Dolby Vision movies seem to have more red color in them, making them unwatchable. I also watched 1917 Dolby Vision and it played in Black & White! The Dolby Vision text splashes in the top-right corner at the start and even the Picture Adjustment page shows the mode as Dolby Vision. When I use Plex on a 2017 Nvidia Shield TV (previous generation) it plays fine but only in HDR and not Dolby Vision. When I try playing Dolby Vision Files from YouTube, they play in HDR mode too and not Dolby Vision mode, and look fine.

Is there some trick to playing Dolby Vision files on the TV? Not sure if it is a Plex issue or a TV issue. Wondering if anyone else has run into the same situation and has suggestions for me to try. Thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts

Run receiver to HDMI 3 for Arc to work and tune receiver to TV that shou3give you 5.1. Or set output to Receiver only in speakers TV soundbsetting. Turn on or off bravia snyc.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Wondering is there's something I can do to fix this issue with a ATT TV box and my Sony 900F tv.

Heres the issue...

I use ATT TV as my cable tv service and they use a Android box to stream tv channels and the issue is that this box outputs EVERYTHING in HDR. I mean everything. Its a problem that many have asked to get fixed and they haven't done so yet.

So when I'm watching anything on tv whether it be the local news or something on the Science channel, the Sony TV sees that the input signal from the ATT TV box is HDR and automatically accepts the signal and uses HDR settings. It kinda looks bad, bearable but still bad.

I use my Marantz 8805 as a A/V switcher for my ATT TV box and a AppleTV 4K. Can I set up the Sony 900F to turn off AUTO HDR for JUST the ATT TV input but have it on AUTO for all other sources?

This has really been baffling me about how to fix this. If this is something you guys know what I can do to fix this then what other picture settings should I use?

Thanks in advance!
Man that ATT box is hot garbage with many bugs. They have zero interest fixing any thing with it. The HDR bug existed in the beta and still there. I unplugged that turd of a box and got the Apple TV 4K. Gazillion times better and no forced HDR. Or get the Roku Ultra.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Hi todd1010

My original intention was to run ARC from HDMI 3 back to my receiver. Did a lot of research on an ARC capable cable. Ended up purchasing a 50 foot active HDMI from Monoprice that had ARC in it's features. Was quite expensive because I knew I had to run it a longer distance but in the end, everything I tried, ARC didn't work. I don't want to spend another $150 on an HDMI cable where ARC is not guaranteed to work.

Can you recommend an ARC HDMI cable that worked for you?

12961 - 12980 of 12998 Posts