AVS Forum banner

1361 - 1380 of 12444 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I am using my 40X900F hooked up to my PC. I can tell you that Windows 10 HDR mode looks horrible on desktop screen and text, lots of colored edging and blurring. This is with GTX1050 spitting out 12 bit RGB full, not some 4:2:0 crap either. YouTube HDR on Chrome, Windows 10 on my old Ivy Bridge CPU looks amazing!

And more DV Netflix fun. I was watching 13 Reasons Why Season 1 Episode 3 (yes I am behind!), says DV on the title screen, but the episode plays back in SDR, not even HDR10.

Paul

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I am using my 40X900F hooked up to my PC. I can tell you that Windows 10 HDR mode looks horrible on desktop screen and text, lots of colored edging and blurring. This is with GTX1050 spitting out 12 bit RGB full, not some 4:2:0 crap either. YouTube HDR on Chrome, Windows 10 on my old Ivy Bridge CPU looks amazing!

And more DV Netflix fun. I was watching 13 Reasons Why Season 1 Episode 3 (yes I am behind!), says DV on the title screen, but the episode plays back in SDR, not even HDR10.

Paul
So you are trying to enable HDR on the desktop for regular computing?

What about HDR games are those nice?

Not sure i would care of HDR on the desktop for regular computing, seems like it was just cause fatigue much live Digital Vibrancy in the Nvidia Control panel.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
HDR on Windows 10 has a secondary brightness slider for SDR, such as the desktop. If you watch YouTube HDR, the playback video box of YouTube would be in HDR, but the rest of the screen would be in SDR and brightness according to the SDR slider, so much dimmer. This is similar to how your video controls in GPU panel only affect video playback boxes. The problem is just that HDR with RGB 12 bit looks like 4:2:0 Ycrbr (is that the right acronym?) with all the associated rainbow blurry artifacts. Fortunately, HDR is just a toggle menu item, so no big deal.

So you are trying to enable HDR on the desktop for regular computing?

What about HDR games are those nice?

Not sure i would care of HDR on the desktop for regular computing, seems like it was just cause fatigue much live Digital Vibrancy in the Nvidia Control panel.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
HDR on Windows 10 has a secondary brightness slider for SDR, such as the desktop. If you watch YouTube HDR, the playback video box of YouTube would be in HDR, but the rest of the screen would be in SDR and brightness according to the SDR slider, so much dimmer. This is similar to how your video controls in GPU panel only affect video playback boxes. The problem is just that HDR with RGB 12 bit looks like 4:2:0 Ycrbr (is that the right acronym?) with all the associated rainbow blurry artifacts. Fortunately, HDR is just a toggle menu item, so no big deal.
I am guessing you don't play any video games on your setup, so would you recommend this as a good monitor for just regular old desktop computing?

My issue is with the currently available desktop monitors and how you don't really get much when you start getting up into the 30-40" range for your money, in my opinion 800 bucks for a 32" monitor is nothing compared to the specs of a 900f when it comes to contrast, colors and brightness, not to mention i will always be straight on viewing so it seems like it would be a great option.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I don't play games, my main PC is Windows 7 HTPC, the Windows 10 PC is just a backup. SDR 4K 60p PC content is amazingly clear and crisp. Most low end iGPU's will only allow 4K 30p at full RGB levels, so at minimum throw a $70USD GT1030 card into it so you can run at normal 60Hz with RGB full.

Paul

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I don't play games, my main PC is Windows 7 HTPC, the Windows 10 PC is just a backup. SDR 4K 60p PC content is amazingly clear and crisp. Most low end iGPU's will only allow 4K 30p at full RGB levels, so at minimum throw a $70USD GT1030 card into it so you can run at normal 60Hz with RGB full.

Paul
Thanks Again Paul, my PC has a gtx1080 so no worries there, i plan on running 4k for most games that aren't demanding but i might just end up falling in love with [email protected] for everything since i am really not a huge fan of 4k and windows scaling.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Windows scaling at 200% works about right, unless your face is up to the screen, then leave it at 100%.

I believe to get 120Hz you need to set picture mode to Game or Graphics.

Paul

·
Registered
744 Posts
Windows scaling at 200% works about right, unless your face is up to the screen, then leave it at 100%.

Paul
You guys are making me wanna upgrade my ancient graphics card (gtx 970) but 4K isn’t ready for prime time unless I wanna spend $800-1200 for a 1080ti or whatever they cost these days lol.

I used to play PC games but have since transitioned over to the PS4 Pro. Feels like both my i5 6600k/970 and i5 3470/770 are going to waste.

I am enjoying the ease of use of the PS4 Pro and Switch for when I feel like playing a game these days. I feel like the x900f is a great choice for both except Windows 10 and graphics hardware requires some tinkering to get working properly if you’re looking for 4K HDR from it. I feel like current graphics technology isn’t really up to par for the masses only for the select few that buy high end hardware and after another generation or two of cards mainstream people will see mainstream cards capable of 4K at a higher frame rate.

Funnily enough the industry is talking 8K like there is enough power and bandwidth for it to realistically exist right now. Be lucky if the next console generation can actually push 4K and HDR consistently without resorting to dynamic resolutions and rendering tricks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congrats frenchie! That's what I'm planning to buy this Nov, the 75". I want that screen size too. Let me know what you think after you're up & running & try things out. Particularly interested in hearing about screen size vs OLED picture. I don't consider myself a videophile but I do have standards moving to 4k from my lovely plasma set. Maybe plasma did set my bar a bit higher than it was but I think I can trade some pic quality for more screen size.

Also, a question for any owners here that play last gen consoles. Does the higher input lag bother you at all playing when playing the PS3 or 360? I don't think I've owned a TV with that high of lag before so I'm just wondering what to expect. Not my biggest concern but I do own a collection of PS3 games that I'll want to play from time to time.

It was replied but I'd like to add my two cents aswell. 40ms is good, not great but good input lag.

I don't have X900F yet, but on my old Samsung F6550 (which has the same input lag as X900F in 1080p) input lag is not noticable at all. Maybe if you have two TV side by side you would notice or in really fast paced multiplayer games when 1-2 frame matters (like Street Fighter).
I've played many games like Devil May Cry 4 (PS3), Bayonetta (PS3) or Doom (PS4 non pro) which are quite timing dependent - it's fine, no issues at all.

It's really exaggerated topic like viewing angle. It only matters in really extreme circumstances. Even if you sensitive to input lag - your muscles will adapt quickly to press that button fraction of second faster ;)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The X800 will get firmware updates. Sooner or later Oppo updates will stop.........
Do you think it will get the DV update to bring it in line with the X700? I thought I remember reading somewhere that DV wasn't going to come to the X800 in any capacity.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

Paul
When I connect the PC (Vega 64) to the X900f I get 29Hz as default and have to force 60Hz. I think I need an actual monitor profile to get higher. Does anyone know where that could be found? Or how to let the computer know the display is capable of such?

·
Registered
744 Posts
When I connect the PC (Vega 64) to the X900f I get 29Hz as default and have to force 60Hz. I think I need an actual monitor profile to get higher. Does anyone know where that could be found? Or how to let the computer know the display is capable of such?
In nvidia control panel one could set custom resolutions and refresh rates not sure about the AMD side. Perhaps the x900f needs some sort of display driver as well.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
They are obsessed with increasing resolution while at the same time decreasing bandwidth.

The GTX970 can do 4K 60p HDMI 2.0...and 4K is ready for prime time, as far as video and HDR are concerned. As for PC's, that is another story...damn Microsoft and their "pipeline" of display properties.

Paul

You guys are making me wanna upgrade my ancient graphics card (gtx 970) but 4K isn’t ready for prime time unless I wanna spend $800-1200 for a 1080ti or whatever they cost these days lol.

I used to play PC games but have since transitioned over to the PS4 Pro. Feels like both my i5 6600k/970 and i5 3470/770 are going to waste.

I am enjoying the ease of use of the PS4 Pro and Switch for when I feel like playing a game these days. I feel like the x900f is a great choice for both except Windows 10 and graphics hardware requires some tinkering to get working properly if you’re looking for 4K HDR from it. I feel like current graphics technology isn’t really up to par for the masses only for the select few that buy high end hardware and after another generation or two of cards mainstream people will see mainstream cards capable of 4K at a higher frame rate.

Funnily enough the industry is talking 8K like there is enough power and bandwidth for it to realistically exist right now. Be lucky if the next console generation can actually push 4K and HDR consistently without resorting to dynamic resolutions and rendering tricks.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Glad to hear they look great. Why do you recommend the X800? I plan to keep my Oppo 103 in use for 1080p BDs & use the x700 for the few 4kBDs I own. I imagine that my 4k viewing right now will be very limited.
I scanned those threads. I did see someone mention the x800 looked better for 1080p BDs but I also saw someone post that the x700 looks just as good as their Oppo 203 :confused:. I do want that DV :).
If you want Dolby Vision then definitely get the X700. As previously stated, The X800 is not and will not be compatible with Dolby Vision.

·
Registered
744 Posts
They are obsessed with increasing resolution while at the same time decreasing bandwidth.

The GTX970 can do 4K 60p HDMI 2.0...and 4K is ready for prime time, as far as video and HDR are concerned. As for PC's, that is another story...damn Microsoft and their "pipeline" of display properties.

Paul
Yes it supports it, I’m referring to the less than ideal frame rates I’d get running games on it like that. Not even close to good enough for gaming at that resolution.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I got the 65/900F last week and while tinkering with the settings, found the 5 base settings were almost the same as the 75/Z I've had since last year.

Bright 38
Cont 75
Gamma -2
Black 50
Color 45 to 50

The F is a very impressive set at the right price.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The X800 will get firmware updates. Sooner or later Oppo updates will stop.........
The X800 hasn't had a Firmware update since 9/26/2017....and I don't expect one anytime soon. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey guys, picked up the 85 inch this weekend. It’s amazing! HDR is incredible.

I am having trouble with certain scenes of movies having these weird pixels. Often times of the sky or when it is out of focus. Is there a setting I am missing or can turn on to help with this?

EDIT: Smooth gradation on high completely fixed it. 100% gone. Are there any negatives to using smooth gradation that I would notice? Or should I just leave it on high?

Edit 2: sometimes I can see lots of fast moving pixels i think maybe it is called noise. Is there a way to reduce that as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Hey guys, picked up the 85 inch this weekend. It’s amazing! HDR is incredible.

I am having trouble with certain scenes of movies having these weird pixels. Often times of the sky or when it is out of focus. Is there a setting I am missing or can turn on to help with this?

EDIT: Smooth gradation on high completely fixed it. 100% gone. Are there any negatives to using smooth gradation that I would notice? Or should I just leave it on high?

Edit 2: sometimes I can see lots of fast moving pixels i think maybe it is called noise. Is there a way to reduce that as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would love to see the after picture for comparison.

1361 - 1380 of 12444 Posts