AVS Forum banner

1401 - 1420 of 12454 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lost my 65" 900E to lightning and looking to replace it. Always want to open up my options, but thinking that the 900e/f are the ones to beat. So I'm looking for insight as to the 900E versus the 900F. I am pretty sure I can still get a 900e but haven't checked the price difference. Also was offered a "super deal" on a A1E floor model, but I don't think I care for the easel type design.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Lost my 65" 900E to lightning and looking to replace it. Always want to open up my options, but thinking that the 900e/f are the ones to beat. So I'm looking for insight as to the 900E versus the 900F. I am pretty sure I can still get a 900e but haven't checked the price difference. Also was offered a "super deal" on a A1E floor model, but I don't think I care for the easel type design.
Advantages of the 900F over the 900E include the upgraded processor which is a tremendous up-scaler of 1080P content, plus it enables Dolby Vision, and has more size options (the E only goes up to 75" while the F goes up to 85")

·
Registered
98 Posts
Advantages of the 900F over the 900E include the upgraded processor which is a tremendous up-scaler of 1080P content, plus it enables Dolby Vision, and has more size options (the E only goes up to 75" while the F goes up to 85")

Most of the high tech stuff goes over my head so I guess as long as the 900F doesn't have any major shortcomings comparatively speaking I should be fine with the F. I have been looking at trying a soundbar so the F should help in that regard as well.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Most of the high tech stuff goes over my head so I guess as long as the 900F doesn't have any major shortcomings comparatively speaking I should be fine with the F. I have been looking at trying a soundbar so the F should help in that regard as well.
Think of it this way - it performs as well as the E but with extras.

Do you have a soundbar already? If not you can pair the TV with the matching 9000F soundbar which has Atmos support.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sound-bars/ht-x9000f

·
Registered
258 Posts
Set my 85" up last night. No issues with ARC. Once I set the speaker setting on the TV to "system audio" rather than "speakers", and turned on CEC on the Onkyo RZ920, the Onkyo auto switched to ARC audio from the TV.

I think those coming from OLED or plasma are going to have more issues with the uniformity of the set. Having spent 8 years with my 65" Panasonic Viera, I instantly noticed dirty screen/uniformity issues on any scenes that are are uniform in lighting and color. It's especially noticeable on any shots of a uniform sky or any scene that is evenly lit even if there is gradation across the scene. As long as it's not really contrasty with lots of objects and colors, it's easy to see the uniformity issues.

For LCD it's great on most things, but if you'r used to any emissive display, you're going to notice the dirty screen effect.

It's very bright. easily 3 times brighter than my plasma. This is an awesome set in lit room and especially awesome in a lit room that is not super bright because of the local dimming. It's only when you're watching at night with the lights dim or off that it becomes an issue.

I think I'll try some bias lighting next.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Set my 85" up last night. No issues with ARC. Once I set the speaker setting on the TV to "system audio" rather than "speakers", and turned on CEC on the Onkyo RZ920, the Onkyo auto switched to ARC audio from the TV.

I think those coming from OLED or plasma are going to have more issues with the uniformity of the set. Having spent 8 years with my 65" Panasonic Viera, I instantly noticed dirty screen/uniformity issues on any scenes that are are uniform in lighting and color. It's especially noticeable on any shots of a uniform sky or any scene that is evenly lit even if there is gradation across the scene. As long as it's not really contrasty with lots of objects and colors, it's easy to see the uniformity issues.

For LCD it's great on most things, but if you'r used to any emissive display, you're going to notice the dirty screen effect.

It's very bright. easily 3 times brighter than my plasma. This is an awesome set in lit room and especially awesome in a lit room that is not super bright because of the local dimming. It's only when you're watching at night with the lights dim or off that it becomes an issue.

I think I'll try some bias lighting next.
Are you a gamer? I ask b/c I know with these sets it's not a question of IF there will be uniformity issues, just how bad will a specific panel be with them. My dealbreaker on my previous TV was visible dark splotches in the sky whenever I turn the camera in games, which of course is all the time. They are not visible on my HX909; the DSE is only visible on that set if I really, really look for it. I can definitely stomach mild DSE but if those dark spots appear on the 900F tomorrow I don't think it'll be a keeper.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Are you a gamer? I ask b/c I know with these sets it's not a question of IF there will be uniformity issues, just how bad will a specific panel be with them. My dealbreaker on my previous TV was visible dark splotches in the sky whenever I turn the camera in games, which of course is all the time. They are not visible on my HX909; the DSE is only visible on that set if I really, really look for it. I can definitely stomach mild DSE but if those dark spots appear on the 900F tomorrow I don't think it'll be a keeper.
Not a gamer. Note, I have several 50" curved Samsung 4k tvs that I use as computer monitors for my mac (upside down to turn BGR into RGB sub pixels) and those are *perfectly* uniform just like my macbook pro display.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not a gamer. Note, I have several 50" curved Samsung 4k tvs that I use as computer monitors for my mac (upside down to turn BGR into RGB sub pixels) and those are *perfectly* uniform just like my macbook pro display.
Interesting, my understanding is that a perfectly uniform LCD TV is pretty much a unicorn, and even most OLEDs aren't perfect just much better at it. I'll be satisfied as long as the DSE is "have to look for it" rather than "hard to ignore" like my otherwise impressive-for-its-price TCL. I infer from your previous post that the DSE on your set is noticeable but well within tolerance, correct me if wrong.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Interesting, my understanding is that a perfectly uniform LCD TV is pretty much a unicorn, and even most OLEDs aren't perfect just much better at it. I'll be satisfied as long as the DSE is "have to look for it" rather than "hard to ignore" like my otherwise impressive-for-its-price TCL. I infer from your previous post that the DSE on your set is noticeable but well within tolerance, correct me if wrong.

Perfectly uniform to my eyes vs the 900F which is nowhere near close. And when I get home in two days, to demonstrate, I'll take a picture of both my mac and 900F with the mac outputting it's mirrored displayed to the 900F over HDMI displaying a gray green.

The Macbook's display appears perfectly uniform while the 900F is nowhere near so.

·
Registered
95 Posts

I am a gamer and games in HDR are great. I have the 85 inch and seriously don’t have any dirty screen effect. I don’t know how that’s really possible especially with this size but I would definitely notice and speak up if I could see some.

My older 75 inch set from Samsung from 2015 it was very noticeable. I think it was a 6300 model?

Trying to find DSE by panning of skies in games or a movie, looking at skies or clouds, the white Netflix screen, grays in game of thrones I don’t see any.

If anything it should be “have to look for it” rather than hard to ignore.

I’m not going to go super looking for it and get up close and put on gray slides but the movies and games I’ve been watching and playing and I don’t see any which is all that matters imo.

The only thing is that the very tips of the corners are slightly darker on full screen bright white. But that isn’t DSE and it’s also not noticeable 99% of the time.

Perhaps I got a great panel ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Bought the F pair, the 65 and the 9000 soundbar. The soundbar is a li'l butt kicker. Setup with ARC and sync 1,2,3. Clear voice, good bass and the "vertical" spatial effect is impressive. Thin enclosure fits well under the front frame, if desired. Angled cut is the same as the spread of the TV's legs.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Looking forward to your settings on cinema pro. I am using custom for regular tv. I was using standard but custom looks better. The more you play with this set the more you appreciate it. Let me know if you calibrate custom for regular cable viewing.
I use cinema home for directv with a few adjustments. Have smooth gradation on low and one of the noise reduction features on low. Directv looks great to me how I have it set. I’ll post a more detailed rundown this weekend as I said. Might try custom too as I’ve never even tried it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
If anyone has an extra minute while setting up a larger (65-85) 900F, would you please take a couple photos of the feet before they’re mounted (or after if you’re not using them). Just a shot of them laying down, and a close up of the mounting end please. If it’s accessable, one last shot of the mounting pocket on the back of the TV as well. Thanks very much! 👍

·
Registered
744 Posts
I am a gamer and games in HDR are great. I have the 85 inch and seriously don’t have any dirty screen effect. I don’t know how that’s really possible especially with this size but I would definitely notice and speak up if I could see some.

My older 75 inch set from Samsung from 2015 it was very noticeable. I think it was a 6300 model?

Trying to find DSE by panning of skies in games or a movie, looking at skies or clouds, the white Netflix screen, grays in game of thrones I don’t see any.

If anything it should be “have to look for it” rather than hard to ignore.

I’m not going to go super looking for it and get up close and put on gray slides but the movies and games I’ve been watching and playing and I don’t see any which is all that matters imo.

The only thing is that the very tips of the corners are slightly darker on full screen bright white. But that isn’t DSE and it’s also not noticeable 99% of the time.

Perhaps I got a great panel ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The dark corners is normal for this and many FALD setups. I went through 3 total 75x900f panels for other reasons (1 was physically damaged and the other had tons of dead pixels) and all 3 had roughly the same amount of darkened corners. If you look for it you can see it on any light colors but if you’re just watching normally you’ll hardly ever notice it. I consider it a very good trade off for how good the set is at everything else. I’m assuming they’ve placed the LEDs intentionally to avoid corner light bleed and this is the result but that’s just a guess. I’d rather have it the way it is as opposed to having light bleed from the corners though personally.

I too haven’t noticed any kind of DSE on mine playing games and watching NHL playoffs a few weeks ago. I’ve invested around 9 hours into Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 Pro over the past few weekends and I haven’t noticed DSE or the darker corners. It looks great and plays very well. Very happy with the TV. My only complaint is blooming with subtitles in HDR movies which I’ve been able to remedy by adjusting the subtitles on things that allow it and using BIAS lighting which works well to hide it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've only managed to read about half the thread, but has anyone been using their 85" as a monitor?

I've got an 85" on order to replace my 60" W630B so I'm hoping for a big upgrade, but I'm a little worried on how it will handle text. Any surprises I should be worried about going from a TN panel to this VA? I know response times will be a higher but I don't do any serious gaming and from all accounts it will handle console gaming just fine.

Second question, is VLC the best choice for playing 4k rips?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
If anyone has an extra minute while setting up a larger (65-85) 900F, would you please take a couple photos of the feet before they’re mounted (or after if you’re not using them). Just a shot of them laying down, and a close up of the mounting end please. If it’s accessable, one last shot of the mounting pocket on the back of the TV as well. Thanks very much! 👍
Unboxed last Friday, but this video shows what you're looking to see. Check from 58 seconds until a minute-thirty.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Does anyone know how well CEC works with the Apple TV 4K? I would like to be able to turn the TV on and off with the Apple TV remote.

I know CEC has a flakey reputation, but it has worked flawlessly with my Panasonic Plasma.

I am close to pulling the trigger on a 55 inch X900F. But since the primary source will be an Apple TV it would ease my mind if I knew the Apple TV remote could do this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does anyone know how well CEC works with the Apple TV 4K? I would like to be able to turn the TV on and off with the Apple TV remote.

I know CEC has a flakey reputation, but it has worked flawlessly with my Panasonic Plasma.

I am close to pulling the trigger on a 55 inch X900F. But since the primary source will be an Apple TV it would ease my mind if I knew the Apple TV remote could do this.
it works perfectly with apple tv - tv turns on when i turn on apple tv and tv turns off when I put apple tv to sleep - you don't have to touch the tv remote at all when using apple tv (it controls volume too)

·
Registered
95 Posts
it works perfectly with apple tv - tv turns on when i turn on apple tv and tv turns off when I put apple tv to sleep - you don't have to touch the tv remote at all when using apple tv (it controls volume too)

Wow! I didn’t know this was a thing or a feature! I just sat this up as well with the denon 4400 and it is working perfect! So much better since I use my Apple TV for everything.

Is there a way to use the Apple TV remote to switch the receiver input to “game” for playing PS4 or will I still have to use the receiver remote to set it to game?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've noticed that too and it vanishes if you move your viewing position to be in front of a corner. i.e. it's a viewing angle issue. It also vanishes on all 4 corners if you back up far enough...again decreases viewing angle to the corners.

1401 - 1420 of 12454 Posts