AVS Forum banner

281 - 300 of 507 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
PQ series could be OLED.

Sent from my LG-V30 using Tapatalk
I just have a hard time believing that Vizio would come out with an "OLED" and name the series "PQ". If they introduced an additional series or IF the new "reference" was OLED, that would make more sense to me. Either way, I guess we'll find out in 2 short days.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I think you are dead on with that. Quantum Dot could be the justification they use to consumers to warrant a $200-$300 price difference between the 2018 vizio P65 and say a TCL 65" 6series or maybe entice some would be 900f/Samsung Qseries customers.
The 2017 Vizio 65" P was normally priced at $500-600 more than the expected price for the TCL 6 series 65". If Vizio is able to add quantum dots without a price increase over the 16/17 model, I'll be glad to admit I am wrong. I would expect a price jump from $1,699 to $1,999 for adding quantum dots.

If it offers full P3 coverage, 1,000+ nit peak brightness, and full color volume at high brightness from QDs at a price point a little below the 900F, then it will certainly have a solid place in the market. If tracking more against higher end TVs, it will have to follow the overall price tends downward towards Black Friday too. Vizios are usually stable in price throughout the year.
2016 and 17 sets are exactly the same. I bought my p65 day 1 for 2000.00. If this is a total redesign, I expect prices similar or higher for the pq series TVs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
2018 P-Series is up now!

FALD described as 'Premium 4K HDR with Active Full Array Pro, UltraBright 1000' and with Dolby Vision HDR

3 models 'coming soon'
55' w/56 zones MSRP $ 1,199.99
65' w/100 zones MSRP $1,799.99
75' w/120 zones MSRP $2,599.99

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
2018 P-Series is up now!

FALD described as 'Premium 4K HDR with Active Full Array Pro, UltraBright 1000' and with Dolby Vision HDR

3 models 'coming soon'
Give us the PQ Series already! Very underwhelmed by the 2018 P, especially the drop in zone count for the 55" (as I'm looking to replace a 2015 M55).

·
Registered
292 Posts
2018 P-Series is up now!

3 models 'coming soon'
Thanks for sharing this. I'm kind of suprised that it costs nearly twice as much as the upcoming TCL 6 series, yet they've dropped the zone count compared to previous years' models. Still interested to see what they might have improved in other areas. Also would like to see if there is indeed a PQ series and, if so, what it will offer.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Seems like they are going backwards with the backlight control unless their algorithm is much improved for 2018. Even my little bedroom P50 has 126 zones...

·
Registered
375 Posts
There's not much in the way of specs. 50M:1 dynamic contrast is meaningless. Hopefully the Ultrabright 1000 means it will hit 1,000 nit peak brightness even for small windows.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Seems like a decent price on the 75", basically a brighter 2016 model with just 8 less zones.

Now since they refreshed the P series, I am kind of curious what the PQ series will be, since it shares the "P" I would imagine it has to be closely related it capabilities? Could it simply be a P series with Quantum Dots added and nothing else? Maybe we will see an HDR 1500?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Maybe they cut back in certain areas to separate the new P series to the new PQ line. The current P series has the new one beat in a lot specs but it still doesn’t mean it is better than the new one though the new one should in theory be better simply because it is a new model. We will see.

Reactions: CleCakYngMfd

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
So basically, they have placed the P-Series in a camp similarly to the M-Series. The PQ-Series will replace the P-Series. The drop in zone count is to offset the cost of the PQ-Series. Looking at the page, it sort of indirectly suggest that Google Play is adding Dolby Vision support, and may be a featured app.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
https://www.vizio.com/p-series-quantum

Seems kind of like the reference series to me since that also had quantum dots and didn't really come in a range of sizes. Seems like it could be a solid set, I mean I wish they brought back the 384 zones of the reference but 192 is at least a decent upgrade and HDR 2000 will be really nice.

Vizio also announced a line of Atmos sound bars, which should help continuing the expanding support for Atmos across numerious devices and services being on such a mainstream soundbar.

·
Registered
496 Posts
How much of an improvement, at least in theory, is quantum dot supposed to be? Outside of the advertised up to 2000 nits and increased zones... are quantum dots something that would be a pretty visible upgrade even without the other two?

Edit: Becasue there's zero chance I'd replace my 2017 P55 with either a 2018 P55 or P65.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
The E75 looks like good value at $1649. FALD (although not many zones), Dolby Vision, VA panel, onboard tuner. Does anyone see what the difference is between the E75-F1 and E75-F2?

Hope to see the E75 for approx 1K and the P75 for under $1800 around Black Friday.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
How much of an improvement, at least in theory, is quantum dot supposed to be? Outside of the advertised up to 2000 nits and increased zones... are quantum dots something that would be a pretty visible upgrade even without the other two?

Edit: Becasue there's zero chance I'd replace my 2017 P55 with either a 2018 P55 or P65.
There is varying quality to quantum dots so it could be pretty significant or it could be only a mild improvement in color gamut. From what I can tell Vizio isn't claiming any sort of color gamut measurements so we don't really know what to expect there and even then it's best to wait for review measurements to really know the difference.

281 - 300 of 507 Posts