AVS Forum banner

381 - 400 of 606 Posts

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
The Last Dance Review: ESPN Chicago Bulls Documentary Is Mandatory Viewing for Basketball Fans

The limited series is as complete a portrait of Michael Jordan's extraordinary basketball career as fans will ever get...it's a Citizen Kane-like biography of Jordan's relentless pursuit of greatness at all costs...The Last Dance is framed around the Chicago Bulls' 1997-98 season...that season was the end of the dynasty, when the team completed its second championship three-peat knowing that it would be the last one, due to resentful general manager Jerry Krause driving Jordan, coach Phil Jackson, and second-best player Scottie Pippen out of Chicago, with Jordan mulling retirement

it was a tense, conflict-plagued season that nevertheless produced transcendent basketball, and Hehir was given a treasure trove of archival footage, as a camera crew received unprecedented access to document the behind-the-scenes action...The Last Dance shows players at their most unguarded, with incredible fly-on-the-wall footage of practices, bus rides, and Jordan pitching quarters with members of the Bulls's security team and relentlessly busting the balls of just about everyone he knows

This is not to say that nothing is off-limits. Jordan's ex-wife, wife, and children are not interviewed, which does give the portrait a small feeling of incompleteness...and the documentary doesn't attempt to define what it all means culturally, the way that O.J.: Made in America did...

https://www.tvguide.com/news/the-last-dance-review-espn-michael-jordan-chicago-bulls-documentary-basketball/

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #383

·
Registered
26,852 Posts
Anybody watch that over-hyped HORSE competition on Sunday? Man, that was lame. I figured they'd be shooting on their own (with a couple cameramen) in empty gyms or something, some kind of controlled atmosphere. Nah. They're in their backyards for the most part. I think the only guy who shot in an actual gym on a regulation hoop was Mike Conley. And the WNBA player he shot against was competing in her driveway in Minnesota in 40 degree weather on a low-end Spaulding hoop which may or may not have had a glass backboard. :D

The shots they were shooting were exceedingly lame as well. Good grief, I try more inventive stuff with my 15 year old nephew in my own driveway. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
Five things you might learn from 'The Last Dance' Michael Jordan documentary...
While there's no possibility of sitting through 10 episodes, glad to read this,

Preseason, I think we were in Peoria. I was in the hotel. So I’m trying to find my teammates. So, I started knocking on doors. I get to this one door, and I knock on the door, and I can hear someone says, “Sh, sh, sh, some’s outside.” And then you hear this deep voice says, “Who is it?” I says, “MJ.” And then they all say, “Ah, f—, he’s just a rookie. Don’t worry about it. ” So, they open up the door. I walk in, and practically the whole team was in there. And it was like, things I’ve never seen in my life, you know, as a young kid. You got your lines over here. You got your weed smokers over here. You got your women over here. So, the first thing I said, “Look, man. I’m out.” Because all I could think about is, if they come and raid this place right about now, I am just as guilty as everybody else that’s in this room. And from that point on, I was more or less on my own.

I enjoyed just hanging out, playing cards, watching movies. You know, I wasn’t going to the clubs.
I don’t smoke. I don’t do lines. I didn’t drink at the time. I was looking just to get some rest, get up and go play.

https://sports.yahoo.com/time-michael-jordan-walked-bulls-144352761.html

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #386
While there's no possibility of sitting through 10 episodes, glad to read this...
it's 10 episodes spread out over 5 weeks, so I don't think it's too big of a time commitment, especially with the current lack of any actual sports...I recorded last night's double episode and will watch it when I get the time...

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
it's 10 episodes spread out over 5 weeks, so I don't think it's too big of a time commitment, especially with the current lack of any actual sports...I recorded last night's double episode and will watch it when I get the time...

Happy to have seen him during final tour as member of Bulls. Before tip-off, had to have legendary local slugger's son evicted from 2nd-3rd row c-court chairs after he persisted trying to punk wife and I. Watching MJ and listening to Rodman trash talk Laettner was worth the aggravation. Hope Ron Harper receives some deserved recognition in tv series,

·
Registered
26,852 Posts
My DVR dropped the recording due to too may other shows recording in the 9:00 PM slot on Sunday night. Should have checked beforehand. Anyway, I figured surely they'd re-run it sometime during the week, right? I mean, they've got at least 4 channels in the ESPN line-up, at least on my DTV system. And it's not like they've got any live sports to televise.

Nope! No re-runs until just before next Sunday's two new episodes. Then, those two new eps are re-run at midnight & 1:00 PM. Weird. I figured given their lack of compelling sports programming, other than recounting the same NFL draft stories over & over ad infinitum, would have them re-running this thing several times during the week. :confused:

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #389
My DVR dropped the recording due to too may other shows recording in the 9:00 PM slot on Sunday night. Should have checked beforehand. Anyway, I figured surely they'd re-run it sometime during the week, right? I mean, they've got at least 4 channels in the ESPN line-up, at least on my DTV system. And it's not like they've got any live sports to televise.

Nope! No re-runs until just before next Sunday's two new episodes. Then, those two new eps are re-run at midnight & 1:00 PM. Weird. I figured given their lack of compelling sports programming, other than recounting the same NFL draft stories over & over ad infinitum, would have them re-running this thing several times during the week. :confused:
I'm surprised they are not re-airing it multiple times this week but it probably has to do with this week being the NFL Draft...with my FiOS DVR if I record too many episodes which conflict with each other it gives me an error message and tells me to cancel one of the other programs first

also a heads up that both ESPN and ESPN 2 are airing this Last Dance documentary with ESPN 2 airing an edited version with all the bad language edited out

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
I DVR’d the first two episodes. Haven’t had a chance to watch them yet.

Reactions: longhorn23

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I think that ESPN is really really horrible about trying to be a news organization. They are willing to run with unverified information and leaks and then, when proven false, they refuse to correct or retract anything. It's happened again and again.

However, as the producers of these more careful documentaries, I find ESPN exemplary. I really enjoyed eps 1 and 2 and look forward to the rest. Of course, I have a bias because two Arizona Wildcats were on those teams (Steve Kerr and Jud Buechler and also a third for a while too Bison Dele fka Brian Williams).

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
However, as the producers of these more careful documentaries, I find ESPN exemplary. I really enjoyed eps 1 and 2 and look forward to the rest. Of course, I have a bias because two Arizona Wildcats were on those teams (Steve Kerr and Jud Buechler and also a third for a while too Bison Dele fka Brian Williams).
ESPN's 30 for 30 documentaries are top of the class...I love HBO's Real Sports as well

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
What emerges in “The Last Dance,” a 10-part documentary series produced by Netflix, ESPN and Jordan...

...Jordan has managed his image to the finest detail. A documentary is, in theory, supposed to provide an unvarnished look at a person or its subject. But “The Last Dance” is not that. Michael Jordan’s production company, Jump 23, is a partner in the project. Commissioner Adam Silver, who in the 1990s was the head of NBA Entertainment, told ESPN that a condition of allowing the film crew to follow the Bulls around during the 1997-98 season was that none of the footage could be used without Jordan’s permission...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/sports/basketball/michael-jordan-last-dance-legacy-lebron.html

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #396

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
Jordan admitted that he still harbors animosity for the "Bad Boys" team that threatened to derail his success..."Oh, I hated them," Jordan said in Episode 3 of the ESPN docuseries "The Last Dance," which aired Sunday. "And that hate carries even to this day."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29102510/michael-jordan-says-hates-bad-boys-detroit-pistons
Bill Laimbeer/Isiah Thomas respond to Michael Jordan’s comments on ‘The Last Dance’

I totally agree with Laimbeer...the Bulls need to stop whining about it...it was a different era...the game was played differently...they didn't shake hands- no big deal

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Bill Laimbeer/Isiah Thomas respond to Michael Jordan’s comments on ‘The Last Dance’

I totally agree with Laimbeer...the Bulls need to stop whining about it...it was a different era...the game was played differently...they didn't shake hands- no big deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Krj9zxcaA
I disagree. Laimbeer, Thomas et. al. were just thugs who were allowed to hurt other players during their era. The Bulls aren't whining about it, they are asked about it in various interviews and shows. They (Pistons) had no class and continue to prove how classless they were.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #400
I disagree. Laimbeer, Thomas et. al. were just thugs who were allowed to hurt other players during their era. The Bulls aren't whining about it, they are asked about it in various interviews and shows. They (Pistons) had no class and continue to prove how classless they were.
it was a different era...and it wasn't limited to the Pistons...the Lakers/Celtics/Sixers all were brawlers back in the day...much more physical play was the norm back then...nowadays you can't touch another player without getting called for a foul

381 - 400 of 606 Posts