AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 16069 Posts

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
You’re missing the point. It would clean up even better in time and if I can’t see it in content or panning shots, then the 5% is good. Doesn’t matter since I’m exchanging.
Oh, I understand that - I was just hoping to get a sense of how much engaging BFI improved near-black uniformity...

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
You’re missing the point. It would clean up even better in time and if I can’t see it in content or panning shots, then the 5% is good. Doesn’t matter since I’m exchanging.
Oh, I understand that - I was just hoping to get a sense of how much engaging BFI improved near-black uniformity...
You can do that today on a C8...C9 doesn’t have the different settings yet and I think D-Nice said it’s the same as C8 for now.

·
Vendor
26,676 Posts
Well...considering ive had 1 out of 4 tint free panels. Id invest in some lightning rods. All because they cant apply the filters correctly?
I am not talking about screen uniformity issues, You will always have that to some degree. I am talking about major defects like, unit will not turn on, line of dead pixels, blotch on screen.

·
Registered
83 Posts
When is someone going to hook up an AMD card and test out the Freesync range and also what the BFI is at 120 Hz

LG already told us everything else was pretty much the same as the C8...

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Stupid question here, what do you use to dust off the OLED screen? Is there a safe microfiber cloth that i should purchase?

·
Registered
17,811 Posts
Some quick notes on the C9.....

Motion is better compared to the C8. Setting TruMotion to User with De-Judder and De-Blur to zero is far superior to using the same settings on the C8. Never use TruMotion with the 2018 LGs! Color accuracy is identical to the C8. Low end quantization errors visually are the same as the C8 on the .31 firmware (I will thoroughly test this tomorrow with test patterns). Upscaling of 1080i/720p content is improved compared to the C8. There is no screen tinting with 100% white and no banding with 3% stimuli. Both are identical to my C8 but do not expect the same with multiple panels (panel lottery is still in effect). So far, I am very impressed with the C9 but would not recommend anyone dump a C8 for it. More info, pictures, charts, etc will come over the next few days.
Another note..... The smooth gradation control is too aggressive. Even on low, it removes fine details and overly smoothes out horizontal lines. This does not happen on the C8 and definitely does not happen on with Sony’s smooth gradation feature. For now this feature should be left in the Off position.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
It's nice to hear there are some noticeable improvements in video processing and picture quality this year. It's also a bit frustrating that LG doesn't bring any of the new calibration controls and non-hardware limited improvements to previous years models.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is motion significantly better than on the B6? My B6 can occasionally show a bit of judder on panning scenes (I have a very low level of Tru-Motion de-judder turned on, I think level 1 or 2).

I am looking to upgrade from 65" B6 -> 77" C9, so am pretty excited about any improvements over the 6 series.

·
Registered
17,811 Posts
Is motion significantly better than on the B6? My B6 can occasionally show a bit of judder on panning scenes (I have a very low level of Tru-Motion de-judder turned on, I think level 1 or 2).

I am looking to upgrade from 65" B6 -> 77" C9, so am pretty excited about any improvements over the 6 series.
Yes

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can anyone confirm whether in the final shipping c9 sets that game mode is applicable to all picture modes?

I own an LG 55B7 and don't really like the image quality in game mode on the B7. it looks pretty colored to me in terms of a bluish tint or oversaturated colors. I would prefer to game in technicolor expert.

Also, how different is the image quality going to be going from a 55B7 to a 55C9?

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can anyone confirm whether in the final shipping c9 sets that game mode is applicable to all picture modes?

I own an LG 55B7 and don't really like the image quality in game mode on the B7. it looks pretty colored to me in terms of a bluish tint or oversaturated colors. I would prefer to game in technicolor expert.

Also, how different is the image quality going to be going from a 55B7 to a 55C9?

Thanks!

All calibration controls are available in game mode this year, so it should look just like technicolor or the isf modes if you like. This is the first year they have had them unlocked in game mode.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts

Thanks!
Game mode is it’s own mode like before for sdr and hdr, except you have more access to the controls.

There’s no game mode in isf, Etc.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts

It’s official, I’m an owner now!
Will set it up tonight after work.
Hope it’s a great panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats, let us know your thoughts for sure. I'm hoping to get a call today that my replacement has arrived at the store...crossing my fingers it's better than the first one.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Congrats, let us know your thoughts for sure. I'm hoping to get a call today that my replacement has arrived at the store...crossing my fingers it's better than the first one.

Thanks, will do! It’s going to be a long day at work. :) I’m anxious to see if I got a decent panel. Good luck w/ your exchange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

201 - 220 of 16069 Posts