AVS Forum banner

3161 - 3180 of 16100 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the C9 and the picture periodically disappears when watching shows recorded on my Cox DVR. I can still hear the playback but the picture is gone/black screen. I am using a brand new monoprice HDMI cable. If I unplug the cable and plug it back in, the picture returns. Has anyone else had this problem with the C9 or do you think it is a cable issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
I own 2 OLED tv's. A 4 year old 65EF9500. No dead pixels. I also own a 3 year old 65E6. It had a stuck pixel a 3 years ago, that was replaced by LG. My current E6 also has no dead pixels. I can't tell you whether or not to exchange, just my experience of having no dead pixels.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Been enjoying my 77" C9 the past few days after upgrading from a 65" B6. Motion interpolation with TruMotion off is definitely better; my test is the forest scenes at the start of The Revenant, which are headache-incudingly juddery on the B6 but only a little juddery on the C9. I could actually live with TruMotion off on this TV but I turned on the new Clear TruMotion setting which is really great, as it doesn't show artifacts (the B6 shows small motion artifacts when someone walks in front of certain backgrounds like window blinds). I also don't see any banding or near black areas of pixellation on streaming content now, which used to happen a lot on the B6. There is no power supply noise (that I heard some C8 77" have).

I'm not really into the calibration thing so I just set the settings to those commended by rtings.

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
I have the C9 and the picture periodically disappears when watching shows recorded on my Cox DVR. I can still hear the playback but the picture is gone/black screen. I am using a brand new monoprice HDMI cable. If I unplug the cable and plug it back in, the picture returns. Has anyone else had this problem with the C9 or do you think it is a cable issue?

You have the cable box connected directly to the C9?

I was having a similar problem with a blu ray player losing picture and sound. You might try going into the connection manager on the C9 and resetting the profile for the cable box then disabling the HDMI control of that device.

HDMI control through this television is pretty hit or miss and the TV could be doing something that is messing with the picture.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just bought the 65C9 at Costco. So far it seems great.
Does anyone know how to find the HBO Go App in the LG content store? Do I need to connect a Roku just for HBO Go?

AFAIK, HBO Go uses flash, which is not supported by LG's WebOS interface, unfortunately.

Streaming content using the C9 built-in apps has been a bit of a letdown for me between lack of HBO Go, youtube having an audio lag (through eARC soundbar) and Prime Video not working for longer than a minute at any given time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You have the cable box connected directly to the C9?

I was having a similar problem with a blu ray player losing picture and sound. You might try going into the connection manager on the C9 and resetting the profile for the cable box then disabling the HDMI control of that device.

HDMI control through this television is pretty hit or miss and the TV could be doing something that is messing with the picture.

It is connected directly to the C9. I just reset the connection manager profile as suggested and will see what happens. How do I disable HDMI control of the cable box?

·
Registered
10 Posts
youtube having an audio lag (through eARC soundbar)

Oh, dang. I'd noticed some pretty crazy audio lag when I was trying to watch youtube earlier and chalked it up to the soundbar I bought being kinda junky, since YouTube doesn't have noticeable audio lag when played directly out of the TV speakers.

Must be an issue with the app.

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
It is connected directly to the C9. I just reset the connection manager profile as suggested and will see what happens. How do I disable HDMI control of the cable box?

I believe you will need to go into Connections then I to HDMI and turn off HDMI control there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ever since I updated to the the latest firmware a couple weeks ago. My C9 seems to be turning itself back on after I turn it off. Has anyone else had this issue? It never did this before the update. I will turn the TV off. Then a few minutes later, it turns back on all by itself. It doesn't seem to matter if I am watching Charter TV or Netflix before turning it off. Occasionally it stays off. More times than not, it turns back on.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Did you notice them while watching normal content or did you go pixel peeping? 4 to 12 dead pixels seem to be the threshold depending on screen resolution. Location plus whether they are clustered together or not sometimes comes into it as well for a manufacture to authorize a panel replacement. No guarantee the new panel won't have a few dead pixels either or worse yet more substantial banding so it's always good to ask yourself how bad is the situation your in as opposed to the situation you might be in with a new panel. The average seating distance is about 8 feet or so away from a TV.

·
Registered
491 Posts
So is the C9 55" really worth it over the C8? I'm a first time OLED TV buyer and I'm not really a TV expert. Thanks for the help.
The experts early in the thread said if you are not going up in size it is not worth the update.....

Nice idea but then your extra screwed if you want to move it lower or higher. My walls are lath and plaster.
Sometimes it just makes sense to go flat, much cleaner look if you can not recess. This mount is .35 off the wall, your not going to get much closer. >>> Click Here
Yeah the one I already have is little profile enough. With the speakers I have it doesn't really matter anyway.

·
Registered
85 Posts
AFAIK, HBO Go uses flash, which is not supported by LG's WebOS interface, unfortunately.

Streaming content using the C9 built-in apps has been a bit of a letdown for me between lack of HBO Go, youtube having an audio lag (through eARC soundbar) and Prime Video not working for longer than a minute at any given time.
Thanks. I have an older Roku I can hook for HBO Go or whatever other apps aren't available on LG's WebOS yet. Prime Video has been working well for me so far.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Been enjoying my 77" C9 the past few days after upgrading from a 65" B6. Motion interpolation with TruMotion off is definitely better; my test is the forest scenes at the start of The Revenant, which are headache-incudingly juddery on the B6 but only a little juddery on the C9. I could actually live with TruMotion off on this TV but I turned on the new Clear TruMotion setting which is really great, as it doesn't show artifacts (the B6 shows small motion artifacts when someone walks in front of certain backgrounds like window blinds). I also don't see any banding or near black areas of pixellation on streaming content now, which used to happen a lot on the B6. There is no power supply noise (that I heard some C8 77" have).

I'm not really into the calibration thing so I just set the settings to those commended by rtings.
Congrats on the 77.

You may have not noticed it yet (and hopefully, maybe you won't), but Clear does introduce artifacts. In my testing, anything above 0/0 on TruMotion introduces artifacts, but they are not quite as bad as the 6 series was.
Tested it out in quite a bit of content and also the motion tests in Spears and Munsil's V2. So far, I've found 2/5 seems to introduce the least artifacts while still achieving some smoothing. They do still bother me a bit though so I might have to see if I can get used to having it off.

Glad you don't notice power supply buzzing, I'm working with LG to replace my power supply.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Just bought the 65C9 at Costco. So far it seems great.
Does anyone know how to find the HBO Go App in the LG content store? Do I need to connect a Roku just for HBO Go?

No issues here though I use regular arc. I used to use internal apps but decided to use the Apple TV 4K more now instead...it at least has all the apps together and easy switching.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Oh, dang. I'd noticed some pretty crazy audio lag when I was trying to watch youtube earlier and chalked it up to the soundbar I bought being kinda junky, since YouTube doesn't have noticeable audio lag when played directly out of the TV speakers.

Must be an issue with the app.
LG OLED's are among the TVs that do transcoding "on the fly", so they transcode a source format to a format accepted by the destination (own speakers, or external device).
The transcoding introduces lag by its nature.
You may want to play with the source and destination audio parameters and eARC/ARC settings so that transcoding (or not) has the desired effect.

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Congrats on the 77.

You may have not noticed it yet (and hopefully, maybe you won't), but Clear does introduce artifacts. In my testing, anything above 0/0 on TruMotion introduces artifacts, but they are not quite as bad as the 6 series was.
Tested it out in quite a bit of content and also the motion tests in Spears and Munsil's V2. So far, I've found 2/5 seems to introduce the least artifacts while still achieving some smoothing. They do still bother me a bit though so I might have to see if I can get used to having it off.

Glad you don't notice power supply buzzing, I'm working with LG to replace my power supply.
I've noticed some artifacts as well with clear, it's very subtle though and loads better than these sets were even a year or two ago.

Which parameter are you setting to 2/5? I'm still playing around with motion settings as the only thing I've found to be a problem with this TV is handling of 24FPS content if all motion handling is turned off.

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Ever since I updated to the the latest firmware a couple weeks ago. My C9 seems to be turning itself back on after I turn it off. Has anyone else had this issue? It never did this before the update. I will turn the TV off. Then a few minutes later, it turns back on all by itself. It doesn't seem to matter if I am watching Charter TV or Netflix before turning it off. Occasionally it stays off. More times than not, it turns back on.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
This sounds like behavior where the TV senses something happening on an input and turns on. Try disabling your HDMI control functions in the connections->HDMI menu and see if the problem stops happening.

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Hello, I recently bought an LG 65C9, I have done tests of uniformity, banding, etc. and this is very good, but I have discovered that it has 3 bad pixels, one in black that only activates the blue and green subpixel, and another two that are activated or stuck in red.

I am within the period of 15 days of satisfaction, do you recommend to request the change? What I fear is that the replacement arrives with more defects. What do you think?

Greetings and thanks.

Sorry for the translation.
LG has an FAQ out there somewhere that talks about dead pixels and what the policy on them is. Short version is that they don't typically repair sets for a few bad pixels as with 8 million pixels on these TVs you shouldn't be able to see any from a normal viewing distance.

With the resolution as high as it is, at normal seating distances a few bad pixels should not be visible. If they are clustered together or doing something like flashing that would be a different story.

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Anyone have a thought?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Out of the box the C9 is the most accurate television I have ever owned, especially if you are feeding it 4K HDR content.

The "technicolor" preset with WARM 2 and otherwise defaulted (OLED panel 100, contrast 85, etc.) is almost bang on compared to having the TV calibrated.

So if you're "not into" calibration then this preset with the color temp changed to WARM 2 should give you a very accurate picture.

·
Registered
721 Posts

AppleTV doesn’t support Flash either, yet there’s an HBO Go app. That’s what i use now. Hopefully someone at HBO gets on the ball and creates the native WebOS app

3161 - 3180 of 16100 Posts