AVS Forum banner

3721 - 3740 of 16052 Posts

·
Registered
9,845 Posts
Updated and consolidated all the available data about C9:

• Wi-Fi - the C9 will lose the wireless connection and you have to reconnect daily (wired is stable) - ?induced by a particular firmware or condition?;

Thanks to all that contributed!
The Wi-Fi issue seems to be fixed for me when using 2.4GHz band instead of 5GHz. At least is hasn't disconnected yet after 3 or 4 days once I changed it to 2.4. It may be an issue between C9 and particular router?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
The Wi-Fi issue seems to be fixed for me when using 2.4GHz band instead of 5GHz. At least is hasn't disconnected yet after 3 or 4 days once I changed it to 2.4. It may be an issue between C9 and particular router?
Possibly. I also have a 5GHz capable router and the 5GHz band has a certain degree of instability compared with the very stable 2.4GHz band.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I had this ON for a few days and I did notice that the video didn't look as good as with it OFF. It didn't last long on my C9 and will leave it OFF always. Now I know why rtings.com says to leave it OFF.
You can't turn ABL ON or OFF. If you could, I would not be complaining. I'm not even asking for it to be turned off, I'm only asking for ABL in HDR/DV modes to be made equivalent to the C8, not stronger.

I am keeping the TV because my wife said she prefers the dimmer look. Go figure. But minor or not, it's a downgrade. The only one among lots of upgrades to PQ. Some of the mentioned upgrades seem bogus though. I see absolutely no difference with motion handling, for example. I also found I have to bump the color setting up above 10 points to achieve equivalent color saturation on the C9. On the positive side, the sickly yellowish tinge on faces and the overt cyan push on certain hues is gone on the C9, so it more accurately reflects my old high end Sony LCD. I could never get rid of those on C8 with anything resembling accurate color (to my eyes, I'm not a calibration guy but I try to tweak everything.) Also far less black crush. Some of the old DV mode raised black issues are back. I had to set DV mode brightness to 49 instead of 50 to get rid of raised blacks with the floating "leaf" at the very start of Batman vs. Superman. C8 did not suffer from it on Brightness 50.

·
Registered
9,845 Posts
You can't turn ABL ON or OFF. If you could, I would not be complaining. I'm not even asking for it to be turned off, I'm only asking for ABL in HDR/DV modes to be made equivalent to the C8, not stronger.

I am keeping the TV because my wife said she prefers the dimmer look. Go figure. But minor or not, it's a downgrade. The only one among lots of upgrades to PQ. Some of the mentioned upgrades seem bogus though. I see absolutely no difference with motion handling, for example. I also found I have to bump the color setting up above 10 points to achieve equivalent color saturation on the C9. On the positive side, the sickly yellowish tinge on faces and the overt cyan push on certain hues is gone on the C9, so it more accurately reflects my old high end Sony LCD. I could never get rid of those on C8 with anything resembling accurate color (to my eyes, I'm not a calibration guy but I try to tweak everything.) Also far less black crush. Some of the old DV mode raised black issues are back. I had to set DV mode brightness to 49 instead of 50 to get rid of raised blacks with the floating "leaf" at the very start of Batman vs. Superman. C8 did not suffer from it on Brightness 50.
Sorry, I guess I was thinking of AI?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Has anyone had a problem where their C9 occasionally freezes for 5 seconds? This has happened a few times watching Netflix via the built-in app, and once when watching a blu-ray. When this happens during watching Netflix, after the 5 second freeze ends, everything goes fast forward to catch up (including the sound, which gets a bit out of sync). I didn't have this problem with my B6, and I don't think it's related to the internet connection (happened with a blu-ray too).

I just had this happen on my brand new C9 on latest FW.

Just froze for a second then sped up really fast to catch up and did the same thing you said. It also locked up the TV to where I had to unplug it. It was completely unresponsive. I have fairly fast internet (500 Mbps). Using Ethernet - and never happened on my old C8....

It actually just happened again. Well crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,726
Those who lives in the NYC area I highly recommend @jrref for calibrating the C9. He’s very professional and a true gentleman! I’m very fortunate to have won the panel lottery and he just improved upon that.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Just froze for a second then sped up really fast to catch up and did the same thing you said. It also locked up the TV to where I had to unplug it. It was completely unresponsive. I have fast internet (500) and never happened on my old C8....

It actually just happened again. Well crap.

Add it to the list of issues for this thing. Think it's gonna be some time before LG works out all the little kinks. I have only had it happen to me once while watching Netflix on wifi, but never on hard connection. There is a known issue that C9 drops connection

"You got a big screen, hold my beer"

·
Registered
120 Posts
Add it to the list of issues for this thing. Think it's gonna be some time before LG works out all the little kinks. I have only had it happen to me once while watching Netflix on wifi, but never on hard connection. There is a known issue that C9 drops connection

"You got a big screen, hold my beer"

I actually only use Ethernet in my home, but appreciate the suggestion and saw that earlier. I should have added that info to my original post.

Yeah I’m running the YouTube app for a bit to see if I can replicate the problem in other onboard apps.
And agreed, hopefully if others have the issue, they see and fix fairly quick. I love their onboard apps actually!

Everything else with the set is going just fine! *knocks on wood nervously*

·
Registered
49 Posts
I actually only use Ethernet in my home, but appreciate the suggestion and saw that earlier. I should have added that info to my original post.

Yeah I’m running the YouTube app for a bit to see if I can replicate the problem in other onboard apps.
And agreed, hopefully if others have the issue, they see and fix fairly quick. I love their onboard apps actually!

I'm a big fan of WebOS coming from an older Samsung Smart TV. Hope LG addresses these bugs soon

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had this ON for a few days and I did notice that the video didn't look as good as with it OFF. It didn't last long on my C9 and will leave it OFF always. Now I know why rtings.com says to leave it OFF.
Where is the option to turn it off?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts

Ha my 55 c9 just locked up while on YouTube internal app go figure lolololol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
Updated and consolidated all the available data about C9:

Known problems for C9
  • eARC - does not pass-through 6/8 channel LPCM, only 2.0 channel LPCM - the C9 can be forced to accept 8ch LPCM with an EDID adapter - LG has been informed, waiting for a resolution;
  • eARC - the 2017 eARC compatible models of Denon+Marantz receivers are not negotiating more than 2.0 LPCM (Stereo), no HD bistreaming, Denon AVR-X3400H, X4400H, X6400H, Marantz SR7012, the C9 can be forced with an EDID adapter to accept more formats - this is NOT the LG's fault, but Denon/Marantz fault;
  • eARC - eARC is disabled with SimpLink/CEC=OFF on the TV | ?bug or "feature"?;
  • Wi-Fi - the C9 will lose the wireless connection and you have to reconnect daily (wired is stable) - ?induced by a particular firmware or condition?;
  • Audio - random return to internal speakers instead of the previously configured ARC/eARC | triggers: on Power ON, on source switch | affected firmware: 03.60.04;
  • Internal apps - (example: Netflix) do not pass-through HD audio via eARC, but lossy formats such as DD+Atmos work (This is also a known problem with the eARC Sony TVs.), must use an HDMI source for HD Audio;
  • USB - WebOS media player does not pass-through HD audio via eARC, but lossy formats such as DD+Atmos work, must use an HDMI source for HD Audio;
  • DLNA - unable to pass-through HD audio via eARC, must use an HDMI source for HD Audio;

Thanks to all that contributed!
Please add ABL or ABLS makes using Chrome Browsers/Windows Explorer (all white) change brightness depending on size of the browser window, and subsequently steps up the brightness back to normal.

Not a very good TV for windows use.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,735
That makes two of us. And of course a Samsung will not show ABL, because they only make LCD, along with the foibles of LCDs. ;)

Three of us, no problems w/ ABL here.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Yeah I also only use wired Ethernet to the TV. This freezing happened 4 times tonight. Now that other people have this problem, at least it doesn't seem limited to just my TV, so a firmware update will hopefully fix it at some point.

Is yours a 77" as well?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Ha my 55 c9 just locked up while on YouTube internal app go figure lolololol
Can you please state your firmware version?

Yeah I also only use wired Ethernet to the TV. This freezing happened 4 times tonight. Now that other people have this problem, at least it doesn't seem limited to just my TV, so a firmware update will hopefully fix it at some point.

Please add ABL or ABLS makes using Chrome Browsers/Windows Explorer
Added.

·
Registered
980 Posts

@ bolded part
Pretty much contradicts your entire issue with the C9?

You don't calibrate, yet you know what accuracy is like?

Wut? :confused:

3721 - 3740 of 16052 Posts