AVS Forum banner

3741 - 3760 of 16052 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi guys, currently going back on forth my first major upgrade in 5 years.

As a regular gamer (XBX, PS4 Pro, likely early adopter on the next consoles) and watcher of UHD Blu Rays and 4K is it worth getting a C9 over the E8 (on special) for approx. $550 more?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,742 (Edited)
Hi guys, currently going back on forth my first major upgrade in 5 years.

As a regular gamer (XBX, PS4 Pro, likely early adopter on the next consoles) and watcher of UHD Blu Rays and 4K is it worth getting a C9 over the E8 (on special) for approx. $550 more?

Spend the extra $$$ for HDMI 2.1, C9. Especially if you plan to get the new game systems next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tomcup

·
Registered
702 Posts
Is this noise that you hear as well? https://youtu.be/pkDewwHXUbY

Sucks because otherwise the panel itself is perfect, no visible banding and very little tinting in the center of the screen. I went to Best Buy and tried to see if the display model exhibited the same behavior and I couldn't hear anything.

"You got a big screen, hold my beer"
Yes, very similar coil whine sound. Doesn't sound exactly the same, which is to be expected, but similar.
As I said, it only occurs on mine in low light content.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Where is the option to turn it off?
If you just look a few posts back you'll notice I was wrong and was thinking of AI and not ABL. I'm hearing you can't turn it OFF but I'm one of those people that doesn't see this issue so it's not a problem for me.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Where is the option to turn it off?
If you just look a few posts back you'll notice I was wrong and was thinking of AI and not ABL. I'm hearing you can't turn it OFF but I'm one of those people that doesn't see this issue so it's not a problem for me.
Most people seeing abl concerns it appears are using the tv as desktop monitor...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Most people seeing abl concerns it appears are using the tv as desktop monitor...
Yes i am, my old LG 4K UB850T never had this problem, but it wasn't an OLED and wasn't HDR.

I still would love an option to control it somehow.

Chrome and reddit changing shades of white while i'm trying to read and have a movie running is very distracting.

·
Registered
Klipsch RP-8060FA, RP-600M, RP-504C, RP-500SA, HSU VTF-2 MK5, LG OLED77C9PUB, Onkyo TX-RZ830
117 Posts
Yes i am, my old LG 4K UB850T never had this problem, but it wasn't an OLED and wasn't HDR.

I still would love an option to control it somehow.

Chrome and reddit changing shades of white while i'm trying to read and have a movie running is very distracting.
That's why I try to use dark theme on any website that supports it (or find some Chrome extensions that try to force it).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yeah I also only use wired Ethernet to the TV. This freezing happened 4 times tonight. Now that other people have this problem, at least it doesn't seem limited to just my TV, so a firmware update will hopefully fix it at some point.

Is yours a 77" as well?

Mine is a 65”. Yeah for sure bud. At first was about to pack it up and bite for the A9G. But, Jesus lord I hate packing back up TV’s and now that it’s a FW issue and not a set issue. I’m okay with them ironing it out in a future FW.

Thanks!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Does anyone else use an Apple TV? Can you guys play an episode of Friends and tell me if the first few seconds of the show are cut off? The internal Netflix app doesn’t have this issue. I’m wondering if it’s an issue with my Apple TV, the HDMI cable or possibly my sound bar.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I have opened a new discussion on the LG Comunity for the C9 video/audio freeze problem.
@macmane @Baldrekr and @Markalark you should all login to that site and comment on that discussion for your particular case, so LG can see that is not a rare incident and it should take it into consideration.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
It doesn't really matter as going from .04 to .05 is just a very minor update that didn't change anything substantial.

·
Vendor
26,639 Posts
I just had this happen on my brand new C9 on latest FW.

Just froze for a second then sped up really fast to catch up and did the same thing you said. It also locked up the TV to where I had to unplug it. It was completely unresponsive. I have fairly fast internet (500 Mbps). Using Ethernet - and never happened on my old C8....

It actually just happened again. Well crap.
That happens to me and I am using other gear. Seems to be the norm to have to do a hard reset every once in a while.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have opened a new discussion on the LG Comunity for the C9 video/audio freeze problem.

@macmane @Baldrekr and @Markalark you should all login to that site and comment on that discussion for your particular case, so LG can see that is not a rare incident and it should take it into consideration.

Thanks dfa - I will do that this afternoon. I am on FW 03.60.04 and no updates available in the US, so I believe it’s the latest we have.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Is it necessary to enable frame rate matching on the Apple TV? With the Real Cinema option on the TV, it’s already handing the 24hz signals properly isn’t it?

(I don’t watch foreign/international content btw)

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Is it necessary to enable frame rate matching on the Apple TV? With the Real Cinema option on the TV, it’s already handing the 24hz signals properly isn’t it?

(I don’t watch foreign/international content btw)
By default the ATV will convert everything to 60hz so yes you need to match the source frame rate. Before I learned of this option I was getting micro stutter from all of my 24P content when it went through the ATV since its own conversion of 24P->60FPS is kind of crap.

If you have the 4K ATV you also need to tell it you want it to match the color space of your content so that SDR/HDR/DV show properly otherwise it will convert everything to DV and the non DV stuff will look too cool color temp wise.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Spend the extra $$$ for HDMI 2.1, C9. Especially if you plan to get the new game systems next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Has anyone been able to confirm if this implementation offers the full 48Gbps?

I'm looking into getting one of these once the typical $1,000 price drop comes along (probably around black friday) But I want 4k 120 with no drawbacks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well i purchased a 65” C9 on Friday, currently waiting on delivery. I really hope i made the right choice. We tend to keep tvs around for a long time

3741 - 3760 of 16052 Posts